Steven A Smith Hockey Rant

Prucenterrules

Steven A. Smith was asked this morning on Sportscenter which streak was more impressive, the Blackhawks 22 games with a point to start the season or the Miami Heat winning 14 straight. He then proceeded to rant that the heat was more impressive because hockey has "ties" Clearly he has not been paying any attention to the NHL. He does say atleast that he "respects" the hockey guys but does not like ties. What do you guys think?

This doesn't bother me. ESPN is a basketball network and Stephen A. is a fine NBA reporter. I don't take anything he says outside of the NBA seriously, especially with his ego.

As a fan of both the NHL and NBA, the Blackhawks achievement is more impressive. The NBA is a superstar league and the Heat bought 2 of them while retaining their own with a ton of money. Of course they are going to be amazing - it's not as much of a team game nor does it have the parity and quality of competition of the NHL.

I think he's just biased.  His biggest sport seems to be basketball in terms of the things I see him talk about, I don't think he follows hockey at all.  I think he's using a biased view.

Not only is the Hawks streak longer, but hockey has far more good teams than the NBA does.  in the NBA you really have 3 or 4 teams that might win the title this year (and the west in the NBA is much better than the east in the NBA).  in the NHL you probably could have over 10 teams with a legit title shot.

He just likes basketball and not hockey.  for me what the hawks have done is the most impressive reg season thing I've seen in sports since the 07 patriots

Steven A. Smith was asked this morning on Sportscenter which streak was more impressive, the Blackhawks 22 games with a point to start the season or the Miami Heat winning 14 straight. He then proceeded to rant that the heat was more impressive because hockey has "ties" Clearly he has not been paying any attention to the NHL. He does say atleast that he "respects" the hockey guys but does not like ties. What do you guys think?

1979-80 Flyers were pretty sick.  They won their first game of the season, lost their second...then didn't lose another game for 35 straight games (they won 25 and tied 10).  They were 26-1-10 after 37 GP.   After 56 GP, they were 39-4-13.  Pretty insane to lose just four of your first 56 games. 

MLB's '84 Tigers were 35-5 after 40 GP.  Also pretty sick.

This doesn't bother me. ESPN is a basketball network and Stephen A. is a fine NBA reporter. I don't take anything he says outside of the NBA seriously, especially with his ego.

As a fan of both the NHL and NBA, the Blackhawks achievement is more impressive. The NBA is a superstar league and the Heat bought 2 of them while retaining their own with a ton of money. Of course they are going to be amazing - it's not as much of a team game nor does it have the parity and quality of competition of the NHL.

It shouldn't bother anyone. But I have an issue with you saying SAS is a fine NBA reporter. The dude is an idiot when it comes to any topic, and he is a pretty big joke when it comes to the NBA as well.

all of this is true, but no one is close to as bad as the fat guy on WFAN at 1.  Mike is the worst, I haven't listed to him in years. 

Personally, I can't stand the guy. He shouts at the top of his lungs and lashes out at anyone who disagrees. So, he's pretty much like every one else on sports radio.

Maybe I am making this up or confusing him with someone else, but didn't Stephen A Smith once say he doesn't like hockey because there are not enough black men in the sport?

Edit:  Now that I pondered this, I think I may be confusing him with Bryant Gumble and the Winter Olympics.

Edited by DevsMan84

I haven't heard that, but it sounds like something he would say.  Everytime I have heard him, he definitely comes across as racist.

Maybe I am making this up or confusing him with someone else, but didn't Stephen A Smith once say he doesn't like hockey because there are not enough black men in the sport?

I've been listening alot to sports radio and it's hard to go a day without hearing about lebron and the heat. The hawks stream is way more impressive for the sole reason that the NHL has parity amongst the teams unlike the NBA. I'm sure the majority of the NBA matchups are even-ish, but it's not even a question about who will win the championship. The heat really just bought their championships, it wasn't through development like the hawks are. It's funny, teams in the east have their goals set on "if we make the eastern finals and lose then we did our job." Everyone in the east knows they can't beat Miami in a 7 game series so for the next 2 years so they are all lowering their standards.

It shouldn't bother anyone. But I have an issue with you saying SAS is a fine NBA reporter. The dude is an idiot when it comes to any topic, and he is a pretty big joke when it comes to the NBA as well.

To be honest I've only listened to him a handful of times and he never said anything that I thought was that shocking or off. I guess I missed what you are talking about then. Basketball is my 4th/5th sport so I don't really devote that much time to listen to reporters/analyst for it. I know when it comes to the Nets the beat writers suck and you're much better off going with blogs like NetsDaily.

lol, I don't think this has anything to do with race but is a product of someone who is not a hockey fan, who doesn't understand how hard it is to run a streak like this in hockey and who is an admitted fanboy of the NBA. 

Its not even the longest streak in the NBA this season. In the NBA the great teams win alot more and are more dominant in the regular season because there are less variables. In hockey the puck bounces funny off the glass and that's a third to a quarter of the scoring for one team some games. In the NBA a lucky basket is only 2 percent of the points in a typical game.

Also I hate Screamin Stephen because they broke up my favorite radio show so they could insert him in the mid day line up on ESPN NY. So annoying and awful. I might just call in to troll him today

It has nothing to do with him "dissing" hockey.  The guy is just a no talent, sub-100 IQ, non-entity.  It's a bit long, but here's Mark Cuban destroying Stephen A. and his equally ponderous sidekick, Skip Bayless:

This was 18 minutes minutes well spent. I thank you, sir

Getting your sports opinions from ESPN is the equivalent of attempting to get factual, non-biased, concise, and interesting news from an inflight magazine in the seatback pocket in front of you on an airline.  ESPN is horrendous.

ESPN is a waste of cable space.  I hate this station with a passion. FVCKING HATE IT!

OK, end of rant.

Steven-A needs to learn how to speak proper english too...