Kariya not playing 2010-2011

DevilinLA

It looks like UFA Paul Kariya could be taking a year off in 2010-2011 due to head concussion problems.

Nothing official yet but his agent has made some remarks.

twitter link

Shame, always admired his work ethic regardless of the rivalry. Plus he did step up and score that goal after being obliterated by Stevens.

Perhaps one of the NHL's most misunderstood players.

Although, it was hard to appreciate at the time...his comeback in game 6 after being obliterated by Stevens was one of the most amazing things I have ever seen in hockey. To score a beauty goal like he did to clinch the game was all the more special.

He could have been one of the all-time greats. He had all the skill...

Edited by devilsrule33

He was a tough bastard. I wish him all the best. It was too bad he didn't come along 10 years later -- he reminds me of Zach, and the new NHL would have treated him real well if he hadn't already taken a pounding.

I hate it when it happens to one of the good guys. Many hockey fans like their team, and hate everyone else the plays for every other team. A few players seem to transcend that dynamic. Joe Sakic for example. And like Sakic, Kariya seemed to carry himself well both inside and outside the game.

I sincerely hope he stays retired. Everything I've read about Post Concussion Syndrome, or whatever it is called, it horrible, and you've got only a thin window before the effects basically turn you into a vegetable... or worse. He's rich, he's had a great career, and he's already proven that he's a great hockey player. He isn't healthy enough to play to the level that's going to make him any more memorable than he is now, so it is time to walk away... its okay dude.

And yes, the way he came back from Scotty's hit was hard to appreciate at the time, but it was damn impressive. I seem to recall Scotty was pretty shocked himself.... both at how hard he knocked Kariya out and how he bounced back. An amazing story......

Ride into the sunset PK!

Jeff Beukeboom recently had an interview where he said that he still suffers from dizzyness and nausea from his post concussion syndrome, and he retired in 1999.

If you read about some former NFL players, I believe they suffer even worse after retirement. Many have played with a number of concussions and pay for it dearly long after their playing days are over.