Retired Numbers

koolkoreankid23

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I could see Parise way down the road depending on what happens. I could name 2-3 more, but it all depends on the future.

I always thought the guys who won the 3 cups (Brodeur, Brylin, Daneyko, Niedermayer, and Stevens) should all have their numbers retired.

I always thought the guys who won the 3 cups (Brodeur, Brylin, Daneyko, Niedermayer, and Stevens) should all have their numbers retired. BUT, I'm okay with making it very special and difficult to have done. We certainly don't want David Emma's sweater getting retired like the Rangers are doing with anyone who might help boast attendance.

It will never happen, but I think someone like John Madden might deserve it.

When you think back to all of the things he's done for the team - he has been one of our most important (and reliable) penalty killers. He has shut down some of the biggest scoring lines during the Cup years.

He may need one more Cup, and to play 5 more years, but I think he at least deserves consideration.

I'm glad it's not for me to decide - it's too hard to keep everything in perspective. Brylin, Pando, Madden, and MacLean have all had important roles in the Devil's history. I'm not sure any of those guys meet the criteria to have their number retired though. It's fun to debate!

Too many numbers... we need that Ring of Fire ASAP, before we look silly.

We need to honor our players, but we have too many who deserve an honor.

Retired Numbers

Stevens - Legendary captain/defense men

Daneyko - Mr. Devil

Brodeur - Legendary goalie

Wait and See

Parise - Wayyyyyy too early, but he's unbelievable, if he sticks with the Devs and stays consistent, he's a sure-fire bet.

Elias - Elias is our pro-typical flash that plays d. If he didnt hustle back on D, he would have been booted. Its hard to think of the Devils offense and not mention him.

Honored

Niedermayer - Best Devils d-man... I disagree with Lou, I'm hoping it was lip service. The more time goes on, the more the Devils franchise forgets about Nieds.

Brylin - Played any role, but the feel good spot was given to Daneyko

Madden - His prime days were pure Devils hockey. I wouldn't mind see mad dog up there, But I'm not complaining if he is not.

'm not sure if the older guys get consideration, and if so... shouldn't they already be up there?

Too many numbers... we need that Ring of Fire ASAP, before we look silly.

We need to honor our players, but we have too many who deserve an honor.

Retired Numbers

Stevens - Legendary captain/defense men

Daneyko - Mr. Devil

Brodeur - Legendary goalie

Wait and See

Parise - Wayyyyyy too early, but he's unbelievable, if he sticks with the Devs and stays consistent, he's a sure-fire bet.

Elias - Elias is our pro-typical flash that plays d. If he didnt hustle back on D, he would have been booted. Its hard to think of the Devils offense and not mention him.

Honored

Niedermayer - Best Devils d-man... I disagree with Lou, I'm hoping it was lip service. The more time goes on, the more the Devils franchise forgets about Nieds.

Brylin - Played any role, but the feel good spot was given to Daneyko

Madden - His prime days were pure Devils hockey. I wouldn't mind see mad dog up there, But I'm not complaining if he is not.

'm not sure if the older guys get consideration, and if so... shouldn't they already be up there?

I agree with your logic that only the true elites should get their numbers retired, but I don't agree with putting Daneyko in that category.

And I'd ike to know why you think MacLean shouldn't be honored, but Madden and Brylin do.

Aside from Brodeur and Niedermayer, Elias is the only guy who we can talk about getting his number retired at this point. Two-time cup winner (hopefully more), he will be the Devils all-time leading scorer, one of their best all-time playoff performers, while playing over 1000 games with the same team. Patrik also has a decent shot at being a 400 goal 1000 point guy with the Devils if he averages about 25 goals and 70 points a season over the next 4 years. He may end up with BORDERLINE HHOF numbers by the time he's done.

I agree with your logic that only the true elites should get their numbers retired, but I don't agree with putting Daneyko in that category.

And I'd ike to know why you think MacLean shouldn't be honored, but Madden and Brylin do.

I think Daneyko definitely deserves to be there. Mr. Devil is the best way to explain it. The man was one of the first ever Devil's draft picks (wasn't Rocky Trottier the only one before him?) and stayed with the team for 20 years, from the Micky Mouse days through 3 cups. Also, I don't think he missed a playoff game from 1988 until 2000, or something to that effect.

As for Maclean, I think the way he left still leaves a bad taste in peoples mouthes. I feel Maclean deserves definite honor (Ring of Fire) but not a number retirement.

Here's a question... what if Jamie Langenbrunner leads the Devils to a cup or 2 before retirement? Would a Langs/Maclean duel honor be in order?

I think Daneyko definitely deserves to be there. Mr. Devil is the best way to explain it. The man was one of the first ever Devil's draft picks (wasn't Rocky Trottier the only one before him?) and stayed with the team for 20 years, from the Micky Mouse days through 3 cups. Also, I don't think he missed a playoff game from 1988 until 2000, or something to that effect.

As for Maclean, I think the way he left still leaves a bad taste in peoples mouthes. I feel Maclean deserves definite honor (Ring of Fire) but not a number retirement.

Here's a question... what if Jamie Langenbrunner leads the Devils to a cup or 2 before retirement? Would a Langs/Maclean duel honor be in order?

Thought the same thing... He has scored a number of timely playoff game winners through his history.

HOWEVER...

I'd rather leave it special and if Brodeur is the ONLY new person in the ceiling rafters than so be it. Niedermayer doesn't have to be there, but I have a feeling it will be.

Yes that does leave a bad taste but he still did a lot for the team.

I agree with the Langs/Mac duel.. I think there is a lot Jamie can and might do for this organization beyond what he has. But like anyone else these days it all depends on the future.

Yes that does leave a bad taste but he still did a lot for the team.

I agree with the Langs/Mac duel.. I think there is a lot Jamie can and might do for this organization beyond what he has. But like anyone else these days it all depends on the future.

If Niedermayer gets his number retired the game won't even sell out. He left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. It always felt like he was going to bolt as soon as he went UFA.

Roy left a sour taste with the Habs and his number got retired. Granted, he is one of the greatest netminders of all time. And Roy's circumstances were much worse that Nieds.

In time wounds heel and all is forgiven.

Edited by hattrick

I was as pissed as anyone about Nieds, but as time goes by I think he should be up there.

3 cups, Norris and WILL be a HHOF member who played most of his career here. (Could have won the '03 Conn Smythe too)

IMO the numbers are - 3,4,26,27 & 30

5 players from multicup winning teams is not too much.

IMO the numbers are - 3,4,26,27 & 30

5 players from multicup winning teams is not too much.

I would say that is too many. If the team does something similar one more time then that's 10 numbers that can never be used again. The Devils would be averaging about a retired number per 6 seasons, that seems a little excessive as well.

For me, a number retired should be a legendary guy for a team and probably the league. Stevens and Marty fill that requirement. Dano got in on a softie vote which is what opens it up for every really good Devils who wins a cup here and stays a decent amount of time to be talked about as possibly having his number retired.