Lou, Harris speak

MadDog2020

I was just about to post on this....

Harris spoke about missing the postseason in 2014, stressing that he still believes in Lamoriello. 
“Lou and I are very different. We’re different ages and we’ve had different experiences,” Harris noted. “But I buy into his system and the reality is, stuff happens. It was a difficult situation before we got here. I don’t know how much of that reflected itself.

“You had a lot of complexity around Kovalchuk and some other things. It was a disappointing season. I see it. I was unhappy. I didn’t like being home watching the playoffs on TV. I wanted to be in the playoffs. That’s not lost on me. At the same time, good people and good systems can have disappointing years. We’re long term. We’re focused on making this a great franchise over the long term.”

Harris on the Devils missing the playoffs two straight years: “In sports something goes wrong, what do you do? The coach gets fired or the GM gets fired. Someone has to be blamed, and I don’t really buy into that. I look into things and assess them from my own point of view. I don’t do things that I think are in the long run poor for a franchise because someone wants me to do something.

“I think people change too quickly in sports, as a general matter, because they want to show the public they’re doing something. I don’t think there is any change that needs to occur right now. It’s a proven system. I’ve looked at it from the inside and I’ve looked at it from the outside. I like what’s going on. Now it’s about how can we make it better?”

------

.....I read this as Lou better get us into the playoffs this year or I am guessing Harris may make a change.....or seriously consider it (It is clear he already has given it some thought)

he did not state much about kovalchuk.. he said that there is no way he can return until he is 35..but i thought if he sat out for a year then he could return with only lous permission

And the permission of 29 other GMs which if he is allowed to return it will set a very dangerous precedent.

I don't think a lot of players would start taking 5 yr "retirements" in russia and come back. 

It would happen for 2 reasons...one a player is just incredibly greedy money wise or two like in Kovys case he is in fact Russian.

The way Lou worded it makes me feel like he would certainly be for bringing Kovalchuk back in the future.

I don't think a lot of players would start taking 5 yr "retirements" in russia and come back. 

It would happen for 2 reasons...one a player is just incredibly greedy money wise or two like in Kovys case he is in fact Russian.

The way Lou worded it makes me feel like he would certainly be for bringing Kovalchuk back in the future.

Are you serious?  I hope that's sarcasm.  We already had an incredibly stupid thread about him coming back.  You're playing right into the media's hand when you bring up him coming back and try to make a discussion out of it.  They want you to never forget that we lost an elite scorer(Whose best games are likely behind him).  You're reading too much into it and I have no clue where you get that Lou wants him back. 

Also I don't think this is Harris saying Lou's done if no playoffs this year. 

Harris on the Devils missing the playoffs two straight years: “In sports something goes wrong, what do you do? The coach gets fired or the GM gets fired. Someone has to be blamed, and I don’t really buy into that. I look into things and assess them from my own point of view. I don’t do things that I think are in the long run poor for a franchise because someone wants me to do something.

“I’ll answer that the best way you can. He cannot come back until he is 35. He’s (31) now. You’d never look at someone coming back at 35 when he’s (31),” the GM explained.  - Lou

Some people on this board need to take a long look at how they interpret and analyze things. 

And the permission of 29 other GMs which if he is allowed to return it will set a very dangerous precedent.

If he sits out a year, no need for owner approval.

Re Lou, Harris is a big analytics person supposedly. They'll tell you that the team is doing what it should be. So I don't think Lou is going anywhere.

This is the same guy who fired 2 GMs on the Sixers in 2 years. Talk is cheap. It's a business, and if you don't produce good results(which they haven't recently) changes are likely to be made.

have to wonder if that has lou thinking that he could be on the chopping block too if things dont turn around

This is the same guy who fired 2 GMs on the Sixers in 2 years. Talk is cheap. It's a business, and if you don't produce good results(which they haven't recently) changes are likely to be made.

To be exact, one GM was fired, one left.  But keep pumping your anti-Lou agenda, you've only been predicting his imminent firing for the last five years.

'We’re focused on making this a great franchise over the long term.'

GFY you dick, we've been a great franchise long before your arrogant ass came in!

Yeah because that's what he was implying, that the Devils were sh!tty until he owned the team.  Good lord.

Edited by Triumph

'We’re focused on making this a great franchise over the long term.'

GFY you dick, we've been a great franchise long before your arrogant ass came in!

?!

You want VBK back?  The guy who was just like us, in that he cared deeply about the team and was in waaaaaaay over his head in trying to be an NHL owner. 

These owners have money and no qualms about putting it into the on-ice product.  This is a bad thing?

Yeah because that's what he was implying, that the Devils were sh!tty until he owned the team. Good lord.

I don't read minds, I read words.

?!

You want VBK back? The guy who was just like us, in that he cared deeply about the team and was in waaaaaaay over his head in trying to be an NHL owner.

These owners have money and no qualms about putting it into the on-ice product. This is a bad thing?

Never said I wanted JVB back. Thankfully the new owners have plenty cash to make up for their disappointing attitude towards the fans.

I don't read minds, I read words.

Never said I wanted JVB back. Thankfully the new owners have plenty cash to make up for their disappointing attitude towards the fans.

This started with you when they changed the goal song. Can you please get over it already?

Hell Lou even said/implied in TG's latest post that for the last two years of Jeff's ownership that he had to report what he was doing to the league. Were were Phoenix light.

I guess you would be ok with that as long as the goal song is still there right? I swear these owners can't win with some fans who are still butthurt over the goal song.

If you're still pissed about the stupid fvcking goal song (and really- WHO THE fvck CARES????)or any of the other stuff the new owners did in the beginning, get the fvck over it already. Holy sh!t, some people only exist to complain, the internet proves it to me every day...

Edited by MadDog2020

Are you serious?  I hope that's sarcasm.  We already had an incredibly stupid thread about him coming back.  You're playing right into the media's hand when you bring up him coming back and try to make a discussion out of it.  They want you to never forget that we lost an elite scorer(Whose best games are likely behind him).  You're reading too much into it and I have no clue where you get that Lou wants him back. 

Also I don't think this is Harris saying Lou's done if no playoffs this year. 

Some people on this board need to take a long look at how they interpret and analyze things. 

I was being completely serious. I do think bringing back Kovalchuk is a possibility and if he can, which he will, help us in 5 years I don't think Lou would mind bringing him back. If you read Lou's comments basically admits right now its impossible but "hey in 5 years it would a viable option potientally"

Edited by Mayday

I was being completely serious. I do think bringing back Kovalchuk is a possibility and if he can, which he will, help us in 5 years I don't think Lou would mind bringing him back. If you read Lou's comments basically admits right now its impossible but "hey in 5 years it would a viable option potientally"

What Lou said is not that.  He said he is not even considering something that will happen at that time.  Might he consider it then?  Maybe, if he's still around.  I don't think Kovalchuk is a help now, much less when he's 35, but hey.

If you're still pissed about the stupid fvcking goal song (and really- WHO THE fvck CARES????)or any of the other stuff the new owners did in the beginning, get the fvck over it already. Holy sh!t, some people only exist to complain, the internet proves it to me every day...

Who said I havent gotten over the woeful PR moves they exhibited when they first came in? And so what if I havent either? They have lots of money...great. Thank god they took over when they did. That doesnt mean I have to like the approach they have taken on certain things, or 'get over anything'. Dont go on an internet binge, and then apply that displeasure to how I am allowed to feel towards the owners, or whether or not there is an official statute of limitations on how i can or cant feel about their recent actions. And yes, the internet is full of people making complaints..glad your original theory is still enlightening you every day even though the rest of the world has known this since its advent.

As I understand how it works, there are a few problems with this scenario.  One option is that he can come back immediately with approval of all owners, which is not happening.  Otherwise, he can come back without approval if he isn't playing hockey anywhere for a year.  While no one knows exactly how Kovy's KHL contract works, he would be leaving a lot of money on the table in all likeilhood.  After five years, I believe he becomes a UFA for NHL purposes.  How good he is by then is anyone's guess.

The other thing that complicates the whole thing is that the NHL by-laws (and not the CBA) govern how a "retired" player can return.  The by-laws provide that the Commissioner is ultimately the final arbiter of how they're to be interpreted.  This could work to the Devils' advantage (assuming they want Kovy back) if Bettman wants to be a "nice guy", but it's much more likely he'll take a hard line.  This could definitely come into play when deciding what it means for Kovy to have not been playing hockey for one year.  If he's injured, doesn't play in any games, but is still getting paid, it's essentially Bettman's call whether approval of all other owners is needed. 

I think there was kernel of truth to the Kovy returning rumors.  My guess is that his camp put out feelers to Lou, Harris and the league about what it would take and how much the rules could be bent.  In the end, someone who could put the kibosh on it told him to pound sand, or at least told him he has to not play for one year.  But the bottom line is that Kovy will only be wearing a Devils jersey again in his man cave.

? is there any doubt that Lou wouldnt want to bring him back? Kovy was a Devils... and left.... of course Lou would bring him back once he's older. thats his obsession haha