337 replies to this topic

#1 Devils Pride 26

Devils Pride 26

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,975 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 04:03 PM

What a game today. Nobody thought the US would beat Egypt 3-0, let alone Brazil beating Italy 3-0 too. Days like today can turn around a program. Lets see if they can carry it over vs. Spain. The Dempsey and Bradley goals were beautiful, I love the switch field pass placed perfectly. Davies goal was hard work and a little bit of luck. I was really shocked that Bradley would take out Altidore he's the only real striker that can scare a lot of teams. But damn, how can you question that after how good they played today?

GO US

#2 Mike441

Mike441

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

hell yeah what a series of events. I am proud of our boys after this game. I dont expect us to go any further tho. I'll be rooting tho!

The question is who starts in net?

#3 The Facepainter

The Facepainter

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

I hope to see Wednesday's game. I've only seen South Africa play Egypt, but I've been trying to keep up with whats going on. I thought the U.S. team had no chance after losing their second game, crazy turn of events. I think the game is on ESPN around 2:30 est, correct me if I'm wrong.

I normally root for the Italians if the U.S. gets knocked out, since my heritage is Italian. But I had an argument with my cousin which stirred some hatred towards seeing that team win. Though me and my cousin are third generation Americans, he still feels his nationality and culture are Italian. I shouldn't even have argued with him because he has no argument. He's a complete moron with an identity crisis. I can understand why some people can't stand Italian-Americans. Anyway, happy to see the U.S. knock out Italy in the fashion they did.

#4 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:40 PM

wow that game vs spain is going to be very difficult, i saw some good stats from them on ESPN when discussing the soccer tournament (iirc, spain 15 has straight matches without losing, haven't given up a goal yet in this tournament, top ranked in the world .. some might be wrong, im just trying to go by my memory)

Edited by nmigliore, 21 June 2009 - 10:41 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#5 RSC

RSC

Hall of Famer

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,041 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:42 PM

wow that game vs spain is going to be very difficult, i saw some good stats from them on ESPN when discussing the soccer tournament (iirc, spain 15 has straight matches without losing, haven't given up a goal yet in this tournament, top ranked in the world .. some might be wrong, im just trying to go by my memory)

I think Spain's winning streak was longer, like 31 or something ridiculous like that

"The real fans are always going to be the fans. They’re always going to support you." Ilya Kovalchuk, 11/11/2010

"I am a greedy little pansy." Ilya Kovalchuk 7/11/2013

Proud winner of the 2009-10 NJDevs Conn Smythe Trophy for best poster during the playoffs

#6 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 10:55 PM

Anyway, happy to see the U.S. knock out Italy in the fashion they did.

I don't think the US technically knocked Italy out, I think once Italy lost 3-0 to Brazil they were done regardless of the result of the US/Egypt game because if USA won by 3 then they advanced, and if they didn't then Egypt would have advanced. I could be wrong but that was my understanding of it.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#7 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 11:57 PM

I don't think the US technically knocked Italy out, I think once Italy lost 3-0 to Brazil they were done regardless of the result of the US/Egypt game because if USA won by 3 then they advanced, and if they didn't then Egypt would have advanced. I could be wrong but that was my understanding of it.

Egypt got knocked out first due to goal differential being the worst(-3), then US and Italy tied(-2) and US got the tiebreaker for having scored more than Italy. Egypt would have also won the tiebreaker against Italy so Italy was done once they lost 3-0 to Brazil.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#8 devilsfan26

devilsfan26

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,771 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 12:15 AM

Egypt got knocked out first due to goal differential being the worst(-3), then US and Italy tied(-2) and US got the tiebreaker for having scored more than Italy. Egypt would have also won the tiebreaker against Italy so Italy was done once they lost 3-0 to Brazil.

Ah so I guess it depends on how you look at it, in order of tiebreakers or chronological order.
"Swim against the tide, don't follow the group, stay away from the majority, seek out the fresh and new, stay away from the poseurs, and don't be a barnacle. Be original, be different, be passionate, be selfless and be free. Be a hockey fan."
--John Buccigross

#9 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:05 AM

Very happy for team USA. My uncle is a coach for them and said they are so excited.
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#10 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

spain vs usa at 2:25pm on espn

lets go usa!

Edited by nmigliore, 24 June 2009 - 08:24 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#11 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

W00t relevant US Soccer game!

Posted Image

Smash 'em!
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#12 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

JOZY ALTIDORE .. Jersey's own
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#13 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 02:00 PM

Both teams attacking well so far.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

#14 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

wow what nice play, donovan got lucky with that pass but its 2-0. NICE.
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#15 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

Holy fvck! 2-0!!!! wooooooooooooooooooo

#16 Hi, I'm VALUE!

Hi, I'm VALUE!

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,490 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:08 PM

WHOO~! Play that soccer!
VOTE CRASHER FOR LADY BYNG 2011!

2008 NJDevs Fantasy Football Champion
Co-winner of the 2008-2009 UnderdogX Signature Award (Internet awards = serious business)

Devils Head Coach = More turnover than the Defense Against the Dark Arts post.

"congratulations, Value. Maximum Value was, apparantly, gaurenteed." -Martysb3tt3r

I will not remove this line from my signature until everyone alive realizes that
THE INTERNETS ARE SERIOUS BUSINESS KTHXBYE~!

#17 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,131 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:13 PM

how the hell did bradley get a red card for that?
LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

- Jim Leyland

#18 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:14 PM

fvcking sh!t, bradley gets a red card and will miss the final

how the hell did bradley get a red card for that?

it was a bullsh!t call, he was going hard for the ball

#19 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,926 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

Final! 2-0 win! I'm shocked! This is fvcking awesome.

#20 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,466 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 03:21 PM

USA, USA, USA

-Terry Goodkind

-Anchorman

-Anonymous

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users