Official 2013 New York Mets Thread

nmigliore

Nice, well pitched game by Wheeler. NO WALKS

Mets relievers did a nice job working out of trouble in the late innings. Great job by Feliciano getting out of that bases loaded jam. Torres was a fvcking ticking time bomb tonight, glad they got him outta there before he blew it.

Flores with some more big RBI's.

Ike over .200! He's doing everything except hitting it out of the ballpark

Solid start by Wheeler, but I really would like to see him induce more swings and misses...hitters foul off a lot of balls against him.  Even with no walks, Wheeler still threw a lot of pitches...106 in 6.1 IP.  Two more indicators of Zack's incredibly good fortune:  very low BABIP (.258) and 80.7% of the runners who've reached base against him have been stranded. 

Hard to believe this, but Ike Davis now has a better OB% than Daniel Murphy (.317 to .310).  Really hoping the Mets find a way to upgrade over Murph... .310 is just not good enough for an everyday player at the top of the lineup.  And yeah, Keith said it perfectly yesterday...Davis needs to start hitting home runs and needs to start driving runs in too...it's nice that he's getting on base at a ridiculous rate, but it's not really his job to get to first base any way possible.  He has just 9 RBI since coming back, and 3 of them came on that garbage-time home run (the only one he's hit since coming back).  But it's kind of hard to believe that he's NOT going to improve in the HR/RBI categories eventually...and he's at least hitting some doubles (though some have been lucky). 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Solid start by Wheeler, but I really would like to see him induce more swings and misses...hitters foul off a lot of balls against him.  Even with no walks, Wheeler still threw a lot of pitches...106 in 6.1 IP.  Two more indicators of Zack's incredibly good fortune:  very low BABIP (.258) and 80.7% of the runners who've reached base against him have been stranded. 

Yep, just 5 swinging strikes last night. To me, that is the most concerning aspect of his game; we knew the walks would be there as his control is clearly still a work in progress, but his strikeout and swinging strike rates are below average.

re: Murphy - yeah a .310 OBP doesn't belong at the top of a lineup, but his overall offense has been exactly league average once you adjust for the fact half of his games are in Citi Field. If you look at the 2B leaderboard since 2012, Murphy ranks 9th in wRC+, tied with Ian Kinsler at 101. His defense hasn't rated too well in that time frame but it looks better once you split up 2012 and 2013, where the improvement seems evident:

2012: -12 DRS, -10.2 UZR

2013: -5 DRS, +1.9 UZR

I feel like I've been saying it for awhile but Murphy is what he is; he's going to give you league average-ish offense, and as long as his glove is passable, he's an acceptable regular. I know he's not very exciting since he lacks power, doesn't walk, and is just average-at-best defensively, but he makes it work.

Edited by nmigliore

Re:  Wheeler, I don't think he's going to be as advertised.  That doesn't mean he won't be a good major-league starter, and he can still be a #2 here.  But I don't see a guy who's going to be unhittable and dominating game in and game out, the way Harvey has been.  I think he'll improve with the walks, but I don't know how much...maybe he gets down to about 3 BB per 9 IP.  I think across the board, he'll put up solidly good numbers, but again, not like the across the board GREAT numbers that Harvey does.  If the Mets get some bats in the lineup and can score 4+ runs for Wheeler consistently (and be able to provide 3 solid innings of relief for him), solidly good might be good enough for Wheeler anyway. 

I think Murph is an acceptable regular on a very good team, where his doesn't need major contributions from him...basically, he'd be good on a stacked AL team, batting towards the bottom of the lineup.

I was bringing up Murph more as a comparison/segueway into Davis...as bad as Davis was for SO long, it's amazing that he's now ahead of Murph in OB%.  I agree in that Murph is what he is...about as average as it gets in everything, and not really good (or terrible) at anything.  If the guy could just hit in the .320s, it would offset so much of his "meh" factor...suddenly the OB% would be around .350, and for a second-place hitter I could live with that, especially since Murph has a great attitude...it would make his intangibles more important.  But the Mets need to find guys who can get on the damned basepaths in front of Wright and whoever's hitting after him...Murphy flat-out doesn't do that, and it doesn't look like he ever will, except for those two or three-week hot streaks he goes on a few times a year.

The reason I think the Mets need to upgrade is that I don't ever think they'll drop him to 7th (where he probably should be)...I think as long as he's here, when everyone else is healthy, he's the #2 hitter in the lineup, seemingly by default.  If he was a defensive whiz at second, maybe I could live with it...but like everything else, he's average.

I'll always commend him in that I think he worked hard to get every last bit out of his talent.  He just doesn't have that much of it.   

Had a feeling that last start was an important one for Hef, though I'm guessing even if he had pitched well, he was going to lose his spot anyway.  Pretty much tells you what you need to know, re:  how the Mets view Hef.  If he figured into 2014, I don't think he gets dumped so quickly.  They probably feel like they got all they're going to out of him.   

I guess the Mets are looking to shut down Harvey and Wheeler in mid-September by design, maybe to get a look at some other arms...if Mejia stays healthy, he'll keep taking his turn.  deGrom can get a start or two, maybe Torres gets one (not sure why, seems like his future with the Mets is out of the 'pen).  Not sure who else they'd give "let's see what they've got" starts to.  

5 more scoreless innings for Syndergaard.   ERA now down to 1.76 in nine AA starts.

Montero has now turned in 4 straight QS for AAA Vegas.  27 IP, 17 H, 7 ER, 8 BB, and 21 K.  He's only given up 2 ER in his last two starts (15 IP).  He might get a start or two for the Mets as well, if there's a rotation spot open. 

Gotta think these two get a shot this spring...an extended look, at the very least. 

Niese having a rough time so far.  Gotta admit, I worry about his future.  Guy has never thrown 200 innings in a season and may simply not be able to hold up from season to season.  Last season was an aberration in a lot of ways...his WHIPs have been pretty poor for most of his career.  He might be better served being a #5 next season...Mets could skip his turn from time to time, give him extra days here and there.  I think the Mets shouldn't plan on him being anything more than a #4 going forward.

Two more walks for Ike.  Gary Cohen saying same thing I did...time for teams to adjust to the new Ike.  Guy simply doesn't swing at pitches outside of the strike zone anymore. 

BTW Hefner apparently has been having elbow issues and may be headed to the DL.  Funny with all of the pitch-counting and babying that goes one, pitchers seem to get hurt just as much as they always have. 

If only Ike had speed...he'd be a great leadoff hitter...at least right now.  22 BB in his last 16 GP.  And has yet to drive in a run this month, despite going 10-for-19 with 5 doubles and 14 BB for August.    

If only Ike had speed...he'd be a great leadoff hitter...at least right now.  22 BB in his last 16 GP.  And has yet to drive in a run this month, despite going 10-for-19 with 5 doubles and 14 BB for August.    

More worried about where the homeruns went, granted, it's at least refreshing to see Ike doing something positive at the plate for the first time this year. 

Edited by nmigliore

6 IP, 4 ER, and a lot of luck for Niese today.  Only walked one and did manage to pitch 6 innings though.  Could've been a lot worse. 

Nice first week for Flores...some big hits and has only struck out once.  9 RBI too...nice to have runners on base to drive in. 

Good thing that the Mets started off the trip 2-1...now they can still have a shot at a decent trip if the Dodgers sweep.  Good news is that the Mets avoid Kershaw, and have Harvey going in the second game of the series.  I think the Mets actually have a shot to take two against the Dodgers, but I'd happily settle for one.  3-3 through the first 6 games of a tough trip is nothing to sneeze at.

It seems like whenever the Mets get to within 7 games of .500, they fall back a little...they have gotten there a couple of times...still, now 29-21 in their last 50 GP.  A .580 winning%.  A 27-20 record actually gets this team to .500.  Not saying it will or should happen, but the fact that we can actually TALK about it even being a possibility in August is a nice step forward. 

When Ike starts hitting for power, maybe you can get excited. Having a good OBP and a great glove are pluses. But you need him to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 to stick. At least the Mets have a bright future with Harvey, Wheeler, Flores, Syndergaard and Soriano. Plus Familia. Lot of plus arms. Maybe they trade for a bat at some point. Lagares has nice speed. I guess you'll see about d'Arnaud.

Edited by Derek21

When Ike starts hitting for power, maybe you can get excited. Having a good OBP and a great glove are pluses. But you need him to hit 30 homers and drive in 100 to stick. At least the Mets have a bright future with Harvey, Wheeler, Flores, Syndergaard and Soriano. Plus Familia. Lot of plus arms. Maybe they trade for a bat at some point. Lagares has nice speed. I guess you'll see about d'Arnaud.

Ike has a .482 OB% since coming back.  That almost sounds goofy.  But like I've said, it's not Ike's job to keep getting to first base any way possible, and leave it up to Wilmer Flores to drive in runs...it's working for the moment, and if you're a sabes guy, you think that anyone and everyone can drive in runs, as long as there's guys to drive in, that it's not really a skill.  But we all know why Ike is in the lineup, and it's not to be an OB%-machine...he's supposed to be a run producer.  For all of this OB-craziness (.706 for August), he has not driven in a run since July 26.  This may very well be THE oddest small sample I have even seen from a major-leaguer.  Right now, he'd actually be terrific as the second guy in the lineup, but no way will Collins bat him there.   

Here's how I see Ike:  the league doesn't seem to be buying into Ike's new approach yet, and I'm sure some teams think this is all a fluke, that Ike will soon start getting himself out again on breaking pitches out of the strike zone.  I can understand that, but if Ike can stay as locked in to NOT going after those pitches, pitchers are going to have to start giving him more stuff to hit.  It's a teeny-tiny sample, but Wilmer Flores' early success (if it can continue) will help Ike start seeing dead-red strikes.  It's then that I want to see what Ike does, if the homers start coming.  Keith had a good point, re: Ike's newfound OB-abilities...said that even though yes, he's getting on base at an absurd rate, he's fouling off good pitch-to-hits, then drawing his walks...yeah, ultimately he's winding up at first base (and walks are NOT as good as hits, in that they don't drive runners home unless the bases are loaded, or move runners along unless one is at first base already), but if Ike was driving the hittable pitches instead of fouling them off, he could be hitting doubles, home runs, moving runners along.  He should start seeing more hittable pitches soon. 

Yeah, the OB% thing is a massive improvement for a guy who practically couldn't get on base at all before he was sent down, and he's got a .305 BA to go with the .482 OB%, and a 28 BB-to-23 K ratio...it's almost like he's trying to turn himself into John Olerud (who was a brilliant Met in his three years here).  That guy was an on-base beast too...really could do it all.  He drew 306 walks and struck out just 206 times in his three Met seasons.   

What a disaster Murphy has been defensively in the 6th

What a disaster EVERYBODY has been defensively in this inning, Mistiming everything. Not being able to field anything. fvcking disgrace. It's enough that the Dodgers are good, but when they're this lucky it's just unfair

Edited by '7'

Man are the Mets getting jobbed in the 6th. Clear check swing on 2-0...nope called strike 1. Clear ball 4...nope sack of crap Chad Fairchild calls strike 3 on a pitch that's been a ball all day

Terry needs to get tossed between innings. This human pile of waste behind home plate should get an earful

I know the MLB is loving the Dodgers return to prominence, but they don't need the help. The games must be called fairly. I'm hoping the home plate ump has the good sense to apologize after the game but I'm not holding my breath

Edited by '7'

EY has flown under the radar lately, and he did go 2-for-5 yesterday, but suffice it to say he's turning back into the player that the Rockies DFA'd.  In his last 81 AB (dating back to July 19), he has just 18 hits (.196 BA) and has walked 10 times (.274 OB%).  Just three extra-base hits in that time frame (1 2B, 1 3B, 1 HR), and he's also stopped stealing bases (just one in his last 12 GP).  It didn't cost the Mets much of anything to get him (Collin "AAAA" McHugh), and if the Mets want to ride him out the rest of the season, that's fine, but if Sandy thinks that he's found the Mets leadoff hitter of the future (and I worry that he does), he's sadly mistaken.   

I only saw Mediocre Murph not get it done with the bases loaded (did the ball hard, to his credit)...I missed the rest of the game.  Didn't see the calls '7' is referring to.  I hope the Mets don't bring Collins back.  I'll give him credit where it's due...the Mets do play hard for him, and when this team fell to 25-40, they could have mailed it in and finished with 65-70 wins.  And losing Wright hasn't killed them...they're 5-4 since he went down.  Collins has helped to keep the ship from sinking.  But everything about him screams "amateur/guy who couldn't get a job anywhere else".  I think he served his purpose here, that of a caretaker while the prospects developed, and I think it's time to bring in a winner.  Problem is, I have no idea who that is...but I don't think it's Collins.  And yeah, just read about the controversial Lagares strikeout...not saying Collins has to be Earl Weaver, but geez, show a friggin' pulse and get out there and kick some dirt...just because your GM is asleep half the time doesn't mean you have to be.      

Four good starts in a row for Mejia.  Good for him.  Maybe he survives a season someday. 

d'Arnaud seems ready to rock.  Since coming back up to AAA (4 games), he's 7-for-13 with 3 2B, 1 HR (last night), 3 RBI (also last night), 4 BB and just one K.  I know it's Vegas, land of bloated numbers, but geez, we know Recker has nothing, and Buck is Buck...he's hitting a little more lately (5 for his last 14), but I don't need to see another 7 weeks of Buck.  He had that early-season once-in-a-lifetime (for him) rampage, but get friggin' d'Arnaud up here already.  What do the Mets owe John Buck exactly?

Well, at least Mejia keeps pitching really well. Defense totally betrayed him in the 6th inning (namely: Murphy). Honestly shocked how efficient his control has been (just 3 walks in 4 starts). 

re: Young - the trade has worked out better than I thought it would but yeah, there's no chance he was going to remain a solution in the outfield. His best case remains a versatile utility player who can switch hit and steal some bases.

d'Arnaud seems ready to rock.  Since coming back up to AAA (4 games), he's 7-for-13 with 3 2B, 1 HR (last night), 3 RBI (also last night), 4 BB and just one K.  I know it's Vegas, land of bloated numbers, but geez, we know Recker has nothing, and Buck is Buck...he's hitting a little more lately (5 for his last 14), but I don't need to see another 7 weeks of Buck.  He had that early-season once-in-a-lifetime (for him) rampage, but get friggin' d'Arnaud up here already.  What do the Mets owe John Buck exactly?

D'Arnaud was major league ready last season...but after the foot injury they've played it super conservative with him. Recker is horrible in every aspect of the game, and while Buck has his moments driving the ball and has had some big hits for us, he's really nothing more than a mindless hacker and a big DP candidate. Plus I can't even remember the last time he hit a home run for us. And he's pretty atrocious framing pitches for our staff. Really looking forward to a more complete catcher in D'Arnaud who can hit for power and average.

I wouldn't mind Buck as a backup next year but I don't see it happening. But despite the low average and obp...buck and recker have produced runs. 74 RBI out of the catchers position a little before mid August is terrific.

Edited by '7'

Agree on d'Arnaud, I really don't think he has much left to prove, and if not for getting hurt in 2012, he would've almost certainly made his debut then. I feel comfortable penciling him in as a 2014 starter. I'd bring in someone like Jose Molina to be his caddy; he stinks at the plate but is one of the best defensive catchers in baseball, so good that the astute Rays have basically rode him as their primary catcher the last two seasons. I think he'd be a great fit to work with the young pitching staff and help mentor d'Arnaud a bit.

Edited by nmigliore

D'Arnaud was major league ready last season...but after the foot injury they've played it super conservative with him. Recker is horrible in every aspect of the game, and while Buck has his moments driving the ball and has had some big hits for us, he's really nothing more than a mindless hacker and a big DP candidate. Plus I can't even remember the last time he hit a home run for us. And he's pretty atrocious framing pitches for our staff. Really looking forward to a more complete catcher in D'Arnaud who can hit for power and average.

I wouldn't mind Buck as a backup next year but I don't see it happening. But despite the low average and obp...buck and recker have produced runs. 74 RBI out of the catchers position a little before mid August is terrific.

All things considered, since it was clearly a "hold the fort, bridge the gap" situation, it could have been a lot worse.  But I've seen enough of both of them, and neither one figures to be here next season.  The Mets could still even trade Buck this month (can't see that happening though)...I don't think another team would claim him off waivers.  If the Mets wake up and actually bring up d'Arnaud soon, you could do a lot worse in the mentoring department, re: Buck.  And Buck at least seems like the kind of guy who won't sulk and pout when he loses his job.   

Syndergaard's last four starts for AA Binghamton:

21 IP, 9 H, 3 ER, 1 HR, 3 BB, 23 K, 0.57 WHIP 

They've been conservative with him, keeping his innings down (he's gone just five innings in four out of his last five starts, and he went just 6 in the other one, despite only giving up one hit in that game), but this looks like a guy who doesn't have anything left to prove at AA.  He hasn't had so much as a single start there that could be considered bad.