2012-13 Prospect Thread

thefiestygoat

I watched some of Miami-OSU - Gedig was noticeable, Coleman really didn't make much of an impact on the game.

Watching these games makes me more impressed with how difficult scouting is - I recognize that scouts usually go to watch certain players, but how do you figure out if a player is good in even a few games?

3 games is usually the most you really want to see a player. Skillset can be picked up in a shift or two. Sure there are situational skills you may catch a few times in the 3 games. The rest of the time I am looking at hockey sense and how he plays the game, what he does in certain situations, what roles the coach is giving him and so on. If the kid can play, he can play. I gave up looking at skillsets and saying he will be good.

Part of my frustration working with other amateur type scouts is that they waste so much time analysing the skills and results. Discussions when making the final rankings was the same banter and BS. "Grigorenko is better offensively thean these guys." "I think Reinhart projects to a 30 point dmen." blah blah blah

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Jason: Yeah that makes sense, although I'd want more than 3 games. I also think ranking prospects in a big group is a fool's errand. I know the Devils rank prospects qualitatively a la old school baseball scouting (dunno if they use the same 20-80 scale, wouldn't surprise me if they did), but without that, you can just forget it.

Jas0nMacIsaac, if you don't mind me asking I have a few random questions. Where do scouts prefer to sit at games? Or is it really different scout to scout? Also, would you say most scouts jot down notes on paper or is there a decent mix of them that bring laptops into games? Thanks!

I used paper but many have both laptop and paper. I would rather sit in the pressbox and most scouts will go there. You see the whole game and aren't as attached to the puck.

Jason: Yeah that makes sense, although I'd want more than 3 games. I also think ranking prospects in a big group is a fool's errand. I know the Devils rank prospects qualitatively a la old school baseball scouting (dunno if they use the same 20-80 scale, wouldn't surprise me if they did), but without that, you can just forget it.

I ranked it the way they wanted it to be ranked...ala stupid top 20 lists. I prefer tier system myself. I never tried the 20-80 scale last year but it would be easy to do...I essentially did that in my head as is.

Saturday 12/15

QMJHL

Blainville-Boisbriand lost to Rouyn-Noranda 6-3

Stefan Matteau LW: DNP (US Camp)

OHL

Sarnia defeated Kingston 7-4

Reid Boucher LW: 2 Goals, Assist, +3* 2nd Star

Windsor lost to Saginaw 6-3

Ben Johnson LW: Assist (PP), -2

Kitchener lost to Erie 4-3 (SO)

Ben Thomson LW: Goal, E

WHL

Kelowna defeated Red Deer 6-1

Damon Severson D: Goal (PP), Assist, +1* 1st Star

Severson's last 8 games: 3-10-13 +9

BCHL

Coquitlam defeated Powell River 3-2 (OT)

Alex Kerfoot C: DNP (Injured)

WJC Division 1

Belarus defeated Denmark 4-1

Artur Gavrus C: Goal (PP), Assist, +1, 2 PIM (Charging), 10 Shots, 15/24 Faceoffs

Final: 5 GP 5-5-10 +7 4 PIM 11.36 SH% 8.80 SH/GP 57.58 FO%* Named Best Forward of the Tournement

NCAA

Michigan defeated Western Michigan 2-0

Jon Merrill D: DNP (Cracked Vertebrae)

Miami defeated Ohio State 3-1

Blake Coleman C: Goal (PP), Assist, +1, 2 Shots, 1 Block, 5/9 Faceoffs* 1st Star

Curtis Gedig D: -1, 1 Shot, 2 Blocks

North Dakota defeated Michigan Tech 4-1

Derek Rodwell RW: E, 2 PIM (Interference)

Blake Pietila LW: -2, 2 Shots, 8/17 Faceoffs

Sunday 12/16

OHL

Windsor lost to Sault Ste. Marie 4-1

Ben Johnson LW: -1

Season: 35 GP 6-7-13 -1 16 PIM

WHL

Swift Current defeated Kootenay 4-0

Reece Scarlett D: +2

Season: 32 GP 4-12-16 -2 22 PIM

Graham Black C: Goal, +1

Season: 35 GP 15-13-28 +4 12 PIM

Kelowna lost to Calgary 6-2

Damon Severson D: -3, 2 PIM (Roughing)

Season: 34 GP 5-17-22 +10 42 PIM

Gavrus is heading back to the OHL in the new year. He went home because his father was ill, a devils scout adviced him to go back.

Link to where you heard this?

I do agree that Gavrus is in a tough spot next year - he's clearly too good for the Belarussian league, he's ineligible for the AHL, and he'd probably get limited ice time in the KHL, so the OHL may be his best bet.

Kerfoot is done for the year: http://www.thenownews.com/sports/Club+seeks+internal+options+replace+Kerfoot+offence/7698794/story.html

Coquitlam coach/general manager announced Thursday that his star pivot is gone for the year, requiring surgery after injuring his shoulder three weeks ago in Kelowna.

"There's no chance he's coming back," Calvano said. "He's going to require surgery, then rehab and all that fun stuff. It should be a four-to-six month situation, in which he'll then be off to Harvard."

• 2 weeks later...

Some of the best news of the season. Merrill back to practice for Michigan!

There was some good news for Devils’ prospect Jon Merrill today. The junior defenseman returned to practice with the University of Michigan, thewolverine.com reported.

Merrill, the Devils’ 2010 second-round draft pick, has not played this season because of a fractured vertebrae he sustained on in hit in a preseason exhibition game against the University of Windsor on Oct. 9. Merrill has a Jan. 2 doctor’s appointment with the hope of being cleared then for full contact.

He was originally projected to miss six weeks.

Friday 12/28

WJC

USA lost to Russia 2-1

Blake Pietila LW: E, 2 Shots, 3/4 Faceoffs

OHL

Sarnia lost to Brampton 3-2

Reid Boucher LW: Goal, Assist, +1* 2nd Star

Kitchener lost to Barrie 4-1

Ben Thomson LW: -2, 5 PIM (Fighting)

WHL

Swift Current defeated Medicine Hat 6-4

Reece Scarlett D: Goal (EN), Assist, +3

Graham Black C: -1

Kelowna defeated Vancouver 5-3

Damon Severson D: Assist, +3, 2 PIM (Unsportsmanlike)

NCAA

Ohio State lost to Miami 1-0

Curtis Gedig D: -1, 3 Shots, 5 Blocks

Blake Coleman C: E, 1 Shot, 3/13 Faceoffs, 1 Block

You can catch some junior hockey tonight involving Devils prospects for free.

@OHLHockey

"Free Hockey still available online through #OHL Livestream and NeuLion! Visit http://ohl.neulion.com/ohl/ and enter promo code OHLFree2012 now!"

Kitchener (Thomson) - Belleville Now

Windsor (Johnson) - Saginaw 7:11

@TheWHL

"As a holiday gift watch any #WHL Live webcast tonight and tmrw night FREE sign up here http://whl.neulion.com/whl/ enter promo code WHLFree2012"

Swift Current (Scarlett, Black) - Medicine Hat at 9:30

Edited by thefiestygoat