GDT: Winnipeg Jets @ New Jersey Devils 5PM

Zubie#8

Yep. Because every other team in the conference will go undefeated from here on out. The Devils won't get on a nice run, and no other teams will have regulation losses.

it's not really about the actual record it's about how the team is playing, our PK is horrible, our PP is average, the guys are not playing the forecheck game with intensity like they were last year. We don't get too many good scoring chances... 

there's no excuses the boys have not been playing well since that back to back its troubling, i KNOW that team can play great, they are just not.

The Devils were ekeing out wins in these sorts of games earlier in the season.  Now they're not getting the goaltending - Hedberg was bad on goal #2, horrible on goal #3, and put Zidlicky up a creek on goal #4.  

Goal #1 annoys me because Barch has to earn his paycheck by getting his face punched in for 90 seconds, NJ brings Kovalchuk back out after he had just had a shift because now Barch is icing his face in the penalty box, and he coasts on the backcheck and they score.

2 penalties drawn is the number I'm disappointed in - not enough zone time, not enough pressure.  

The 3 days off should be a help.  Get some guys some much needed rest, work on special teams, and things should be back to .500 in no time.  Remember, all NJ has to do to make the playoffs is go .500.

it's not really about the actual record it's about how the team is playing, our PK is horrible, our PP is average, the guys are not playing the forecheck game with intensity like they were last year. We don't get too many good scoring chances... 

there's no excuses the boys have not been playing well since that back to back its troubling, i KNOW that team can play great, they are just not.

What indicates that the team can play great?  It's been 18 games.  How many great games do they have?  

They're an okay team - some good forwards, no huge liabilities on D besides Salvador, and hopefully okay goaltending.

Oh and by the way, Adam Henrique is on notice.  

The Devils were ekeing out wins in these sorts of games earlier in the season.  Now they're not getting the goaltending - Hedberg was bad on goal #2, horrible on goal #3, and put Zidlicky up a creek on goal #4.  

Goal #1 annoys me because Barch has to earn his paycheck by getting his face punched in for 90 seconds, NJ brings Kovalchuk back out after he had just had a shift because now Barch is icing his face in the penalty box, and he coasts on the backcheck and they score.

2 penalties drawn is the number I'm disappointed in - not enough zone time, not enough pressure.  

The 3 days off should be a help.  Get some guys some much needed rest, work on special teams, and things should be back to .500 in no time.  Remember, all NJ has to do to make the playoffs is go .500.

The pointless extra Kovy shifts drive me nuts when Gionta fubars his 30 seconds on the PK half the times he's out there.   Take away one or two of those shifts and you no longer need to play 6 on the PK, which is excessive in the first place.

The only thing that has changed since we won the home at home against Pitt is that we lost Carter. So what gives? Why are we totally sh!tting the bed now? I don't think this team can handle the intensity of this many games in so short of a span.

And we could talk about slump, but it's not like a goal scoring drought or anything like that, it's like a slump across the board. We're not losing 2-1, 3-2; we're losing 5-1 and 4-2.

That's why I'm not really worried. We all know how they can play, and we know they can beat the best in the east. Now it's time for deboer to get them playing more consistently.

Even the best devil teams have had these stretches, so it shouldn't surprise us that a middle of the road devils team would.

What indicates that the team can play great?  It's been 18 games.  How many great games do they have?  

They're an okay team - some good forwards, no huge liabilities on D besides Salvador, and hopefully okay goaltending.

Oh and by the way, Adam Henrique is on notice.  

i agree with this, seeing Kovalchuk coasting on that forecheck realllly pissed me off. 

i'd say out of 18 games... they played... 4 or 5 great games? is that fair?

clarkson is 5% in the last 6 w 1 goal   larsson still has some rookie moments  moose was more bad than good  couldnt get the forecheck cooking Jets did a very good job on the breakout  and had good stick work in the neutral zone. our centers left the deep slot open way too much. A=train when you get beat deal with it! hopefully we dont get too many more injuries

not to knock on Kovy but he needs to either

a) play less so he can hustle more

b) play harder

i always assume he's pacing himself so it explains why he's not always hustling and playing hard but when you're used to watch guys like Zach wide open chasing guys trying to lift their stick, backchecking like crazy and skating in circles around guys and literally being hell to play against. And then you see Kovy coasting all the time... its a bit frustrating, Kovy is a guy who can change a game with a good pass or a one timer while standing but his lack of effort is hurting the team from time to time.  Reeaaaaaalllllllly often you'll see a puck carrier skate around Kovy and he'll just coast after him knocking his gloves with his stick.

that being said.. if Kovy would get injured for awhile, this team would be done.

Edited by SterioDesign

not to knock on Kovy but he needs to either

a) play less so he can hustle more

b) play harder

i always assume he's pacing himself so it explains why he's not always hustling and playing hard but when you're used to watch guys like Zach wide open chasing guys trying to lift their stick, backchecking like crazy and skating in circles around guys and literally being hell to play against. And then you see Kovy coasting all the time... its a bit frustrating, Kovy is a guy who can change a game with a good pass or a one timer while standing but his lack of effort is hurting the team from time to time.  Reeaaaaaalllllllly often you'll see a puck carrier skate around Kovy and he'll just coast after him knocking his gloves with his stick.

He's not a good in-zone defender.    It stands out now because he's not doing anything 5 on 5.    He's a transition defender.   If he makes a good play around you or you make a mistake around him, you're fvcked.

I'm not worried about his defensive play, that's not what he's here to do, he's here to snipe rockets from the left side of the ice.    But apparently only Bobby Butler can play LW with a right hand shot.

Edited by maxpower
  • Like 1

He's not a good in-zone defender.    It stands out now because he's not doing anything 5 on 5.    He's a transition defender.   If he makes a good play around you or you make a mistake around him, you're fvcked.

I'm not worried about his defensive play, that's not what he's here to do, he's here to snipe rockets from the left side of the ice.    But apparently only Bobby Butler can play LW with a right hand shot.

yeah thats true... and yeah... i really like DeBoer but hes got that one wrong saying that Kovy did well last year on the RW so why would we change that? mmmm well Kovy became a superstar and scored about 95% of his goal from the left side in his career... why would YOU change that. Even this year Kovy often scored coming from the left side. 

• Like 1

Ok I'm not going to say we are the worst team in the east but...

The Devils have only two wins in their last seven games.

Where the hell have I been? Really they've only beating Washington and Philly lately?

That's truly pathetic.

Whatever honestly this is the team everyone expected the Devils to be. Be thankful for the good start because now that everyone's back up to speed the Devils will most likely be playing like this the rest of the year.

A win here..two losses..an OT win..a loss..a win..etc.

Teams like Montreal and the Pens, Bruins look like a much much better team after 20 games.

Edited by ScoreMoreThan3

Where: Behind the goal line in the offensive zone

Position: Offensive player with the puck

Subsequent play that needs to be drastically reduced in order to maintain a level of sanity and eliminate

one-dimensional hockey: The bank pass off the boards to the point...where the defenseman proceeds to slow-wrist the puck in the general direction of the goal as a prayer in hopes of a deflection.

While we are at it, can we please attack the middle of the ice more on the attack? I know we live by the forecheck but that doesnt mean its gotta be forecheck 100% of the time. Attack the middle of the ice on the rush and off the boards sometimes! keep the other team honest and take the space they give you!

Our D look so slow, too...particularly larsson and volchenkov

Unacceptable to perform like this for your fans. Lazy skating, unimaginative play. Disgraceful to play like that in front of your fans.

Edited by devlman

It's not that Kovy's not on the left side during five-on-five, it's that Kovy isn't on the left side during the darn power play.  The first PP was a microcosm of everything that's wrong with it right now, after the first five seconds when (heaven forbid) Kovy actually rocketed a one-timer, they resumed their 'system' of circling around to their non-shooting sides and just passing away two minutes.

Zubrus, Carter, and Matteau are hurt - that's 3 left handed shots.  Tedenby was tried here, didn't work, and he's also hurt.  They're sticking Butler there only because of injury.

Edited by Triumph

Where: Behind the goal line in the offensive zone

Position: Offensive player with the puck

Subsequent play that needs to be drastically reduced in order to maintain a level of sanity and eliminate

one-dimensional hockey: The bank pass off the boards to the point...where the defenseman proceeds to slow-wrist the puck in the general direction of the goal as a prayer in hopes of a deflection.

While we are at it, can we please attack the middle of the ice more on the attack? I know we live by the forecheck but that doesnt mean its gotta be forecheck 100% of the time. Attack the middle of the ice on the rush and off the boards sometimes! keep the other team honest and take the space they give you!

Our D look so slow, too...particularly larsson and volchenkov

Unacceptable to perform like this for your fans. Lazy skating, unimaginative play. Disgraceful to play like that in front of your fans.

Where the fvck we're you when it seems i was the only one seeing and describing EXACTLY what you just said and was getting calling off as if i was crazy?

Zubrus, Carter, and Matteau are hurt - that's 3 left handed shots.  Tedenby was tried here, didn't work, and he's also hurt.  They're sticking Butler there only because of injury.

Well, maybe they should roll him back due to the emergency.   How many 5 on 5 points does Kovy have this season on the 1st line?    Clarkson's deal with Satan has expired, so they're going to have to figure out a way to score goals 5 on 5.   Might as well move your best player back to his natural position, since this experiment isn't working when the LW is "random parade of scrubs."

There was one big thing that bothered me tonight when watching our play in the offensive zone. It seemed like when the d-man would take a shot and it would actually get through, all 3 forwards would break the exact same direction. Create some chaos and confusion, don't make it so one guy can cover three. It makes no sense. Also, the Devils don't take the open ice they're given and constantly try to drive the puck into congested areas instead of taking it to the open ones. I saw both of those things happen more than once tonight and just could not fathom them.

There was one big thing that bothered me tonight when watching our play in the offensive zone. It seemed like when the d-man would take a shot and it would actually get through, all 3 forwards would break the exact same direction. Create some chaos and confusion, don't make it so one guy can cover three. It makes no sense. Also, the Devils don't take the open ice they're given and constantly try to drive the puck into congested areas instead of taking it to the open ones. I saw both of those things happen more than once tonight and just could not fathom them.

That too, they seem to be going down the middle a lot more lately but its unreal how often they'll be skating the wing in the neutral zone, they'll have a dman at the blueline about... 4 feet from the boards and the middle is wide open, yet they'll try to squeeze or dump the puck or send it around the boards. THATS what im saying since last year that they keep on doing and they are not creating scoring chances at all out of it. they are just giving away possession waiting for a mistake or a lost fight from the Ds to try to get a shot out of it.