ESPN pre-power rankings

Devils731

Bias aside, am I the only person who thinks the Rags got worse by getting Nash? Anisimov and Dubinsky played Torts' system to a T. Look at Dubinsky for instance. Anyone with eyes could tell that he gave his line, and team, tons of energy games 5 and 6. And is Rick Nash really going to be happy about throwing himself in front of pucks when he had zero defensive responsibility in CBJ? Me thinks not

Bias aside, am I the only person who thinks the Rags got worse by getting Nash? Anisimov and Dubinsky played Torts' system to a T. Look at Dubinsky for instance. Anyone with eyes could tell that he gave his line, and team, tons of energy games 5 and 6. And is Rick Nash really going to be happy about throwing himself in front of pucks when he had zero defensive responsibility in CBJ? Me thinks not

I agree, let us not forget that Fedotenko, Prust, and John Mitchell also played torts system to a T and they are all gone. Lets see how Nash, Halpern, Pyatt, and Asham adapt to his game.

Edited by Zubie#8

Rick Nash is gonna help the Rangers top 6 but their bottom 6 is brutal, the reason why we beat them in the Playoffs is because after their top 6 we just had them beat in depth, clearly the Rangers didn't see that when our 4th line was taking them to town.

EDIT: Not to mention they still only have 5 defensemen.

I've said it before they remind me alot of the Devils after the first lockout in where they are a good playoff team but to have them win the division they have to be in their top gear all season and ride their goalie. The problem with that is everyone else aren't playing at their top gear in the regular season all the time but they will in the playoffs so they have no extra level to go to. See how they struggled in the round 1 and 2.

Rangers success ultimately depends on Lunqvist. Depending so heavily on a goalie that's getting up there in years is a dangerous proposition.

They could be very much like Tampa. A lot of firepower up front, but a bare bottom six. Also very top heavy on defense.

How does 1 player's departure make a team that was 2 wins away from a Stanley Cup a near-bottom-feeder club? These simplistic, reputation-driven rankings annoy me because no real thought is put into them. Its purely based on fantasy.

Douchebag was a good player for us but lets not get carried away thinking he was elite and the single-factor our team was terrific. The guy had the C just to give him extra incentive to re-sign. He couldnt score beyond 20 feet out, and he was invisible many a playoff rounds during his time here. Our out-of-this-world second half run two years was done quite easily without him. That said, his subtraction from the roster is obviously still a definite minus. But, how about these analysts do their jobs and look at the potential additions?

Additions:

1.Full season of Zajac

2. Second season under DeBoer, with most players not needing time to integrate into his system

3. Development from Henrique

4. Development from Josefson

5. Development from Larsson

6. Possible emergence of Tedenby, Butler

When you minus Douchebag and add these pluses (even if you only add two of them), how does that take a near Stanley Cup Champion into the #20 team in the NHL? Its nonsense.

I'm really hoping that Minnesota fans are expecting this elite, dynamic, clutch goal scorer and entirely disappointed that this guy chokes in the most critical points of the game. We could have gotten quite a few more wins last season if Zach wasn't constantly choking on glorious chances, Kovy is the real leader on this team and no way in hell does losing Parise make us a bottom 10 team in the league, it's quite sad that that's the image that's out there of our team right now. I can't wait for our boys to once again shut up all of the haters.

Should there be a season this year I am actually really optimistic. Just on the whole historical side of things I think we should be OK. Whenever ESPN or other analysist knock the team down - they manage to exceed all expectations & as I mentioned before the Devils were the last team to win a Stanley Cup during a shortened NHL season. Call me supersitious when it comes to stuff like that but I think we are in for a real treat this year. The whole "doom & gloom, basement dweller" predictions have been coming for years and they always manage to shut every last hater up.

I'm really hoping that Minnesota fans are expecting this elite, dynamic, clutch goal scorer and entirely disappointed that this guy chokes in the most critical points of the game. We could have gotten quite a few more wins last season if Zach wasn't constantly choking on glorious chances, Kovy is the real leader on this team and no way in hell does losing Parise make us a bottom 10 team in the league, it's quite sad that that's the image that's out there of our team right now. I can't wait for our boys to once again shut up all of the haters.

And I'm sure you'd be saying this if he had re-signed with the Devils, that he's some choker.

It's OK if you now hate the guy because he spurned the Devils for another team, but he's not some unclutch scrub. He scored some big goals while he was here. And the Devils put up 102 points (tied for 4th in the Eastern Conference)...how many more points should they have put up? They didn't even really hit their stride until December...they went 36-16-5 from December 6 on, after starting 12-12-1 and looking like a team that was clearly adjusting to a new coach.

That being said, I'm glad the Devils didn't bring back Parise at that price...he's simply not worth that kind of money. I think the Devils already got his best, and at a great price tag to boot.

I do agree that it seemed like this became Kovy's team last season, even with Parise wearing the C.

im still worried about losing Zach tho... rewatching a bunch of replays and highlights, especially on most Henrique's goals... Zach was working so fvcking hard to get the puck in the offensive zone. I'd like to be in denial and im not saying that the team is fvcked but missing Zach is a big hole to fill especially on the forecheck and on the PK (which was a big last season)

And I'm sure you'd be saying this if he had re-signed with the Devils, that he's some choker.

ive been saying that for at least the past two years. Zach has absolutely no wrist/slap shot. He is definitely the hardest working player, but as far as having the most pure talent on the team, he doesnt even crack the top 3. The biggest goal he ever scored wasnt even in a devils sweater. As far as big playoff goals, how many did he actually score? 2? At most

Edited by njd3b1ink

ive been saying that for at least the past two years. Zach has absolutely no wrist/slap shot. He is definitely the hardest working player, but as far as having the most pure talent on the team, he doesnt even crack the top 3. The biggest goal he ever scored wasnt even in a devils sweater. As far as big playoff goals, how many did he actually score? 2? At most

He did create a lot of plays and was excellent on the forecheck and that will certainly be missed.

This is certainly one of the larger losses of talent the Devils have ever have to endure but they always seem to find their way out of these. It sucks but remember we still have Kovy, Henrique (who is turning into a much bigger clutch scorer than Parise), Elias (who seems to defy his age) as well as the continued development of Larsson as well as others in the pipeline. It will sting for a little bit but far from a mortal wound.

He did create a lot of plays and was excellent on the forecheck and that will certainly be missed.

This is certainly one of the larger losses of talent the Devils have ever have to endure but they always seem to find their way out of these. It sucks but remember we still have Kovy, Henrique (who is turning into a much bigger clutch scorer than Parise), Elias (who seems to defy his age) as well as the continued development of Larsson as well as others in the pipeline. It will sting for a little bit but far from a mortal wound.

It is definitely a loss, and we still have to fill the hole in our top 6 cause of his departure. I was just saying that parise is not all hes cracked up to be. He has never been a "clutch" player, at least in a devils sweater. Also he was paid like an elite player. Hes going to be compared to the others now. And zach parise shouldnt even be in the same category as malkin, crosby, kovy, stamkos, etc

It is definitely a loss, and we still have to fill the hole in our top 6 cause of his departure. I was just saying that parise is not all hes cracked up to be. He has never been a "clutch" player, at least in a devils sweater. Also he was paid like an elite player. Hes going to be compared to the others now. And zach parise shouldnt even be in the same category as malkin, crosby, kovy, stamkos, etc

I was never making him out to be too much, as far as being among the very elite, but let's face it, guys who score 30+ goals year after year like Parise did don't exactly come through the Devils' system often. You can say that most of them didn't come in "clutch" situations, but I do remember him getting important goals here and there. His playoff numbers are kinda meh, but not awful by any stretch.

But yeah, as soon as I heard what he's getting paid, it was a no-brainer...he will never live up to that deal...it's a superstar contract for a guy who isn't one. He's good to vey good but clearly not great. Can't blame him for signing that deal, and I can't blame the Devils for not going there, though I guess it came down to more Zach having a chance to go home and the Wild having the money to make it happen. Whatever, he was a good player for the Devils and was a great value for what he got paid while he was here.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Watching all of the Devils playoff re-runs on the NHL Network, specfically to watch Zach and the impending impact of his departure. I see the loss hitting us hardest in 2 places (thinking playoffs): the penalty kill where he was simply an absolute nightmare to play against as he always was looking to take away the puck and changed how teams attacked us, and his play away from the puck where he always seemed to draw bodies with him along the boards, leaving someone one on one or alone (ala Henrique, or Kovy for a blast). Not easy to replace, but wondering if all these years of being such a blinded Devils fan (I admit it) I put too much stock in his value. There isn't a harder working player in hockey and everybody in the world would want him on their team, but when you watch the early playoff games, the talent differential between him and a Kovalchuck is so blatantly obvious. And if we had the Kovy who played against Florida, we beat the Kings. I'm convinced. He was simply uncoverable before that dreaded back injury. But against LAK, Zach was simply crushed by bigger, stronger D men. He NEEDED Kovy at his best to "be" Zach. I don't think Kovy needs anyone to be "Kovy".

So while I'm bummed to lose one of my favorite Devils of all time, as a hockey fan looking at the Devils through the non tainted eyes of a Devils fan, I see a very good player who IS replaceable, and perhaps with current talent. It's not the gaping hole I felt we had in early July, and there's no reason to think we can't contend once again.

• Like 1

This forum is so fickle. Not long ago everyone on here was criticizing the Kovalchuk deal because of the fear that it might make Parise feel like this wasn't his team anymore or because his contract might keep us from re-signing Zach. Then Kovalchuk had that flubbed shootout attempt and had a bunch of bad turnovers and just about everyone was on his case about it, calling him overrated, overpaid, a waste of money, etc. Now Zach leaves and everyone is worshiping Kovalchuk and bashing Parise, the exact opposite.

I'm pretty sure it was the other way around when Gomez and Rafalski left. All season long everyone was hating on Gomez so bad that his cousin (at least I think it was his cousin, maybe it was some other relative) who posted on here just completely stopped because he couldn't deal with how disrespectful people were. People were bashing Rafalski, albeit to a lesser extent, because he wasn't able to replace Niedermayer and didn't have a good shot from the point. Then July 1st came around and Rafalski went to Detroit and Gomez signed a ridiculous contract with the Rangers and it was like we were minutes away from apocalypse on here.

Edited by devilsfan26

This forum is so fickle. Not long ago everyone on here was criticizing the Kovalchuk deal because of the fear that it might make Parise feel like this wasn't his team anymore or because his contract might keep us from re-signing Zach. Then Kovalchuk had that flubbed shootout attempt and had a bunch of bad turnovers and just about everyone was on his case about it, calling him overrated, overpaid, a waste of money, etc. Now Zach leaves and everyone is worshiping Kovalchuk and bashing Parise, the exact opposite.

People have been bashing Parise for years, this is not new just more people are jumping on the bandwagon I guess. The Kovalchuk situation was completely different because the entire team sucked due to Johnny Mac. Kovy just took the brunt of it after that shootout but he never complained once and that's what I like about him. He always says something positive never negative, god forbid Parise is ever booed like that...

People love Kovalchuk because he has loads of talent (yeah not the work ethic of Parise) but his talents will remain with him throughout his career. Was it a coincidence that the Devils have the second best record behind Vancouver in the last 1 1/2 seasons (Parise missing 41 of those games) and making the Stanley Cup in his second year? Absolutely not and that's why mostly everybody loves him now. Everything has changed since his signing so you really cant judge people for changing their mind.

Edited by Zubie#8

People have been bashing Parise for years, this is not new just more people are jumping on the bandwagon I guess. The Kovalchuk situation was completely different because the entire team sucked due to Johnny Mac. Kovy just took the brunt of it after that shootout but he never complained once and that's what I like about him. He always says something positive never negative, god forbid Parise is ever booed like that...

People love Kovalchuk because he has loads of talent (yeah not the work ethic of Parise) but his talents will remain with him throughout his career. Was it a coincidence that the Devils have the second best record behind Vancouver in the last 1 1/2 seasons (Parise missing 41 of those games) and making the Stanley Cup in his second year? Absolutely not and that's why mostly everybody loves him now. Everything has changed since his signing so you really cant judge people for changing their mind.

Who's "been bashing Parise for years"? I don't remember a whole lot of that...I remember damned near universal love for him among Devils fans. I also remember almost everyone hoping and praying he'd re-sign and stay here.

As for Kovy, he deserves a lot of credit for being coachable and trying to work on the holes in his game...I don't know if he is nearly as much of the reason for the Devils playing well from the second half of the '10-'11 season on as much as you're making him out to be. Pretty much every possible thing that could've gone wrong in the first half of that '10-'11 did...the Devils were simply not that bad, and some kind of evening out was bound to happen...no way the Devils were going to finish 20-58-4 or something like that...they weren't the '83-'84 Devils. Last year's SC run come playoff time to me was just one of those freaky things...great fun for all of us, the team playing well at the right time, parity, some terrific coaching...the playoffs feel more like a crapshoot now more than ever...that how you get a #6 seed playing a #8 seed, with the #8 winning the whole damned thing.