Lou has started talking with clarkson

2ELIAS6

Just read that negotiations have been started to try to lock Clarkson up on a contract but not talks have taken place with elias yet... Says it is unknown if either player was committed to explore free agency. Very anxious and excited to see if we get Clarkson back!

Just read that negotiations have been started to try to lock Clarkson up on a contract but not talks have taken place with elias yet... Says it is unknown if either player was committed to explore free agency. Very anxious and excited to see if we get Clarkson back!

Source?

Says hes been talking to clarky for a couple weeks but nothing with patty yet... Pretty sure it is going to be alot easier to have Patrick come back which is why he started with clarkson first..more work to get him into another contract

Source?

source is nj.com

I don't see this anywhere on the site.

maybe you're not looking in the right spot.. I swear I'm not making it up LOL i follow section the crazies (hardcore fan reporter) on face book and he posted the link. Ill post the article for those who want to read it.

Devils general manager Lou Lamoriello has been involved in talks regarding impending free agent David Clarkson, but there have been no discussions yet with Patrik Elias.

Both players are eligible to become unrestricted free agents July 5.

There have been no financial discussions at this point involving Clarkson, who figures to be in demand if he choose to talk to other clubs.

“We’ll continue to work on it. We’ve certainly started the process, but until (contracts) are complete there is nothing done,” Lamoriello said today.

Elias, 37, and Clarkson, 29, have both played their entire NHL careers with the Devils.

Lamoriello said he did not know whether either player was committed to exploring unrestricted free agency, beginning at noon (ET) on July 5.

I'd rather the order be Patty 1, Clarkson 2, in all honesty.

It doesn't always work that way though.  I mean we re-signed the entire fourth line and Harrold before FA last year and obviously had some pretty big FA's to deal with on July 1.

If anything Elias should be the easier deal than Clarkson though.  Maybe they just want to see how much it takes to lock everyone else (Clarkson/Zidlicky) up first.  Or maybe because Elias has been here forever he's just smarter than the other two and shut off all leaks from his camp about contract negotiations.

Clarkson is more important then zubrus. Elias will be back theres no two ways about it he wants to be here on this team and there is zero reason for Lou not to make him a fair offer that he will take. Zubrus isn't worth all that much he is not going to break the bank. Clarkson was the concern for not coming back with other teams being interested in him and the chances of him getting a much better offer the. What we would give him.. We get clarkson back we will have all three back next year.. MARK MY WORDS.

Clarkson is more important then zubrus. Elias will be back theres no two ways about it he wants to be here on this team and there is zero reason for Lou not to make him a fair offer that he will take. Zubrus isn't worth all that much he is not going to break the bank. Clarkson was the concern for not coming back with other teams being interested in him and the chances of him getting a much better offer the. What we would give him.. We get clarkson back we will have all three back next year.. MARK MY WORDS.

I would disagree. Age and contract aside I would say Zubrus contributes a hell of a lot more than Clarkson and is more important. Ask yourself these two questions:

What does Zubrus provide when he isn't producing?

What does Clarkson provide when he isn't producing?

You can go back and fourth about who you feel is more important to the team.. Your name is zubie#8 clearly your probably a little bit biased lol.. We all know we need a guy like clarkson on this team hes the only good muscle enforcer we have.. He's a good grinder and should be good for a 30 goal season when the entire team isn't going down the toilet together as we all witnessed this past season.. I honestly feel clarkson not only produces more then zubrus but all together plays a more vital role.

You can go back and fourth about who you feel is more important to the team.. Your name is zubie#8 clearly your probably a little bit biased lol.. We all know we need a guy like clarkson on this team hes the only good muscle enforcer we have.. He's a good grinder and should be good for a 30 goal season when the entire team isn't going down the toilet together as we all witnessed this past season.. I honestly feel clarkson not only produces more then zubrus but all together plays a more vital role.

Clarkson had a stretch of like 2 assists in 30 plus games. Marty had the same amount as him in that stretch, so when Clarkson is not putting the puck behind the net he is utterly useless. He is a terrible skater, not a great enforcer, not a big body, terrible playmaker, has NO hockey sense, and he is the definition of inconsistency. Plus he will get a really big paycheck which he will not live up to in my opinion. Zubrus provides a role in any position on the first second or third line, gives a strong two way game, puck possession, second unit powerplay, top one or two penalty kill pairing, and he has nice hands and can skate really well for a big man. Clarkson will not shoot at 13% again and that is why I am scared at the money he will probably get. I do want him on the team at the right price because he is a great locker room guy, a great third liner, and a very good guy who loves the fans but in my opinion Zubrus is really more of an asset than a Clarkson who is best suited for a third line role.

It is easier to replace a third line winger than a Zubrus. He is really important for this team, more than any other team he was or will ever be on.

EDIT: and yes, everyone and their mother knows I love Dainius lol but I am being unbiased here.

Edited by Zubie#8

not if clarkson is gonna ask for a lot of money.  Zubs will probably be more worth resigning.

i started noticing so clearly that Clarkson started trying to shoot the puck no matter where he was on the ice.  it was sooo annoying, he would shoot half assed shots at the net, it was clear he was forcing it.  i feel like Clarkson started to panic when he wasn't on a good scoring pace, I can see this just be a trend downward and could be a disaster if we overpaid for him

not if clarkson is gonna ask for a lot of money.  Zubs will probably be more worth resigning.

i started noticing so clearly that Clarkson started trying to shoot the puck no matter where he was on the ice.  it was sooo annoying, he would shoot half assed shots at the net, it was clear he was forcing it.  i feel like Clarkson started to panic when he wasn't on a good scoring pace, I can see this just be a trend downward and could be a disaster if we overpaid for him

Zubrus is getting up there though, and w/ the fall off of Everest for Poni, I'd be afraid of going too long on him, but I doubt they have anyone to replace him. Clarkson just seems like an expensive luxury, a guy who can't really play on the top 6 as he seems to just drag down Elias on his line and I would die if he's next to Kovalchuk and Loktionov. I think, especially with an internal cap, you can more wisely spend the money somewhere else than on him, if Lou was so inclined. Though if they sign him, as long as it's not something asinine like $6 million, I'll deal. 

No matter what you think of Clarkson, this team can not afford to lose anymore goal scoring.  See 2013.  It's easy to knock #23 for a lot of things, but I want to see a plan to replace his scoring ability. I understand the money issue, but I want to see solid NHL goal proven scorer(s) if he is not resigned. I don't want to hear scoring by committee or take on any more salvage projects.  

However, I really feel the Devils scouts should need to be way better.  This franchise is gonna be all about growing it's talent and not a free agent spender.   It's a new day and age and I wonder how Conte and company have adapted to the new times.  I am sure budget constraints may be hurting their effort as well.

I'd rather the order be Patty 1, Clarkson 2, in all honesty. Come to think of it- Patty 1, Zubes 2, Clarkson 3.

i'm with this.

Clarkson scored early this season but trailed off, especially when we needed goals the most.  IMHO that 30 goal season was special, but a rare thing. 

I'd be surprised if Clarkson re-signs without taking a look at the open market. This will probably be his best chance at a big payday in his career and I'd imagine most guys in that position would want to see all the options.

I do hope Lou can get a deal done at some point with Clarkson though. He's my favorite type of player - can score, throw the body, fight, and be a dick to the opposition.

i'm with this.

Clarkson scored early this season but trailed off, especially when we needed goals the most.  IMHO that 30 goal season was special, but a rare thing. 

everybody trailed off it wasnt just clarkson.. The team was getting shut out or scoring one goddamn goal the whole second half of the season almost lol... A few players had to take on more responsibility then what they signed up for.. Moose, clarkson... Who is not and was NEVER a top six player... Team needs to keep him he is valuable to this organization for the right price BUT they need to find some top six talent as well