Devils Fans in the NHL

Colin226

So was Bobby Ryan...from central jersey and grew up during the Devils 3 cup run...Flyers fan.

Central Jersey? You Northerners have no concept of "Central" Jersey :P

He's Cherry Hill, all Failyer country.

Edited by Jimmy Leeds

Any idea why that is? I'm surprised Monmouth is bigger than places like Morris, Somerset and Essex.

I think Monmouth has one of the highest percentage of middle class families in the state, and the largest number of families with kids under 18 if I am correct.

Edited by Zubie#8

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan. Brick and Manasquan have really become NJD strong holds. A lot of it has to do with being North Jersey transplants as well. Very, very few Philly fans in Monmouth county. Tough to explain considering we get both Philly and NY stations.

• Like 2

A lot of it just comes with a pride standpoint of being from New Jersey. People who live in Monmouth, Ocean and the Shore area seem to take a lot of pride in the area itself, ie. organizations such as Benny Go Home. It's tough to be so prideful in your area and state and then turn around and be a wannabe guido NYR fan. Brick and Manasquan have really become NJD strong holds. A lot of it has to do with being North Jersey transplants as well. Very, very few Philly fans in Monmouth county. Tough to explain considering we get both Philly and NY stations.

This deserved another +1

Cant describe it better than that, I was surprised how many Devil fans there are when I moved to Ocean, but Monmouth is amazing.

Reality check. I've lived in Monmouth since 1966. I still count 2 to 1 Rag fans over Devs fans all the time. I was at a place called the Fireside Bar taking a friend out who got a major college basketball head coaching job during the playoffs. This is in Freehold by Marlboro. They had Ranger sh!t on the walls and when I asked a server WTF???, he tells me, "This is a Rangers bar". Of course I was pissed and vowed to go there later in the series, never did though.

Moore's Tavern in Freehold had fistfights after Game 6.

Mike Haviland and his family were all Ranger fans.

Then.......during the finals at an event at Manalapan Rec park, I jostled with about 8 little kids who were all rooting for the Kings because they were all transplanted Ranger fan families.

Not as supportive as you'd think.

Any idea why that is? I'm surprised Monmouth is bigger than places like Morris, Somerset and Essex.

Great response above but in terms off Essex and Morris, it's pretty hard to say.. I know in western Essex where I live the Devils definitely are the majority, but there are also a bunch of Rags fans.. I think it seems like there are more because they are a vocal minority

Morris might be a result of people who work in the city.. The area has a lot of money and it ain't from farming, so I'd have to guess its from NYC

Somerset is weird.. I work here and everyone I know are either Devils or don't care for hockey.. But I was at a bar down here (Green Knoll Grill) and apparently the Islanders do viewing parties there every season.. Just south is Princeton which starts Flyers country

Nonsense, I don't consider myself North or South, I am in between.

I have heard claims from people who live in both Morristown and in Jackson that they live in "Central Jersey." That is just utter nonsense and when there is such a large disparity as to where it starts and ends from person to person then you know people don't know what they hell they are talking about.

The dividing line is from the Driscoll bridge area going SW and then hitting at about Trenton. In Monmouth County, unless you are in the Sayreville area, you are South Jersey.

Reality check. I've lived in Monmouth since 1966. I still count 2 to 1 Rag fans over Devs fans all the time. I was at a place called the Fireside Bar taking a friend out who got a major college basketball head coaching job during the playoffs. This is in Freehold by Marlboro. They had Ranger sh!t on the walls and when I asked a server WTF???, he tells me, "This is a Rangers bar". Of course I was pissed and vowed to go there later in the series, never did though.

Moore's Tavern in Freehold had fistfights after Game 6.

Mike Haviland and his family were all Ranger fans.

Then.......during the finals at an event at Manalapan Rec park, I jostled with about 8 little kids who were all rooting for the Kings because they were all transplanted Ranger fan families.

Not as supportive as you'd think.

Of course theres a ton of Rags fans in this county but the number of Devil fans is very high.

Great response above but in terms off Essex and Morris, it's pretty hard to say.. I know in western Essex where I live the Devils definitely are the majority, but there are also a bunch of Rags fans.. I think it seems like there are more because they are a vocal minority

Morris might be a result of people who work in the city.. The area has a lot of money and it ain't from farming, so I'd have to guess its from NYC

Somerset is weird.. I work here and everyone I know are either Devils or don't care for hockey.. But I was at a bar down here (Green Knoll Grill) and apparently the Islanders do viewing parties there every season.. Just south is Princeton which starts Flyers country

I live and work in Somerset County and it is solidly Devils country with some Rags fans and very few Philly fans. You are right though as there also seems to be a decent amount of Islanders fans but those tend to be an older generation who grew up during the 80's dynasty period. I guess they didn't like or want to be Rags fans and at the time before the Devils came they just picked the Islanders for a variety of reasons and stuck with them.

Isn't the GKH owner a Devils fan and the cheerleading coach a waitress there (or was one there)? That would be a great place to have a viewing party. Also during this year's run in the playoffs places like Buffalo Wild Wings in Bridgewater and the Office also in Bridgewater had a ton of Devils fans watching the games wearing jerseys and all that jazz. Would love to have a viewing party nearby that is not far (Texas Arizona), small (Anthony's Coal Fired), or have expensive, terrible food (Miami Mike's).

I have heard claims from people who live in both Morristown and in Jackson that they live in "Central Jersey." That is just utter nonsense and when there is such a large disparity as to where it starts and ends from person to person then you know people don't know what they hell they are talking about.

The dividing line is from the Driscoll bridge area going SW and then hitting at about Trenton. In Monmouth County, unless you are in the Sayreville area, you are South Jersey.

Just because there's not a consensus as to what is central jersey doesn't mean it doesn't exist lol. Central jersey def exists in the minds of its residents, myself included. Id say driscoll bridge to 195 is a rough map of central jersey. Also, sayreville is not in monmouth county...and very few ppl would consider monmouth south jersey.

Edited by devlman

I live and work in Somerset County and it is solidly Devils country with some Rags fans and very few Philly fans. You are right though as there also seems to be a decent amount of Islanders fans but those tend to be an older generation who grew up during the 80's dynasty period. I guess they didn't like or want to be Rags fans and at the time before the Devils came they just picked the Islanders for a variety of reasons and stuck with them.

Isn't the GKH owner a Devils fan and the cheerleading coach a waitress there (or was one there)? That would be a great place to have a viewing party. Also during this year's run in the playoffs places like Buffalo Wild Wings in Bridgewater and the Office also in Bridgewater had a ton of Devils fans watching the games wearing jerseys and all that jazz. Would love to have a viewing party nearby that is not far (Texas Arizona), small (Anthony's Coal Fired), or have expensive, terrible food (Miami Mike's).

Yeah I was pushing for GKH and will try so again although not being a General makes it tough.. The Devils Dancers coach does work there and I do believe the owner is a Devils fan.. That would kick ass for me since I work in Branchburg down 22 West

Just because there's not a consensus as to what is central jersey doesn't mean it doesn't exist lol. Central jersey def exists in the minds of its residents, myself included. Id say driscoll bridge to 195 is a rough map of central jersey. Also, sayreville is not in monmouth county...and very few ppl would consider monmouth south jersey.

Since the consensus is all over the place that further proves central jersey idea is nonsense. I live in somerset county and I've had many people say I'm I'm central jersey and equally as many say I'm in north jersey. Hell I've heard a few say central jersey is between 80 and 195. That's just nuts.

The way I explained how there is a north and south jersey makes it clear cut and organized.

Also I noticed every person whom I told they were in north jersey when they insisted they are central had no complaints about it. It's only the people who are in south jersey who keep insisting they are in central jersey and desperately do not want to be known as being in south jersey. I'm looking at you Monmouth county people with that one.

Since the consensus is all over the place that further proves central jersey idea is nonsense. I live in somerset county and I've had many people say I'm I'm central jersey and equally as many say I'm in north jersey. Hell I've heard a few say central jersey is between 80 and 195. That's just nuts.

The way I explained how there is a north and south jersey makes it clear cut and organized.

Also I noticed every person whom I told they were in north jersey when they insisted they are central had no complaints about it. It's only the people who are in south jersey who keep insisting they are in central jersey and desperately do not want to be known as being in south jersey. I'm looking at you Monmouth county people with that one.

I agree.

I live in Burlington County which is obviously South Jersey. However, I view Monmouth as North Jersey because I find that the majority of people root for NY/North Jersey sports teams. The "Mason-Dixon line" is from Mercer county up imo

I agree.

I live in Burlington County which is obviously South Jersey. However, I view Monmouth as North Jersey because I find that the majority of people root for NY/North Jersey sports teams. The "Mason-Dixon line" is from Mercer county up imo

Woot Burlington!! My gf lives in Burlington county (Beverly, just south of Burlington City) so its been a blast wearing my Devils gear all over the place..

Not sure if you made it to the South Jersey viewing party in Westampton that I got the Devils to have but we had a 60 person turnout so hopefully it will be back

Just plain silly. But whatever.........

That's literally the first time in my life I've been told I'm from South Jersey !! :lol:

Woot Burlington!! My gf lives in Burlington county (Beverly, just south of Burlington City) so its been a blast wearing my Devils gear all over the place..

Not sure if you made it to the South Jersey viewing party in Westampton that I got the Devils to have but we had a 60 person turnout so hopefully it will be back

I'm in Mount Laurel which is about 20 mins from Philly and it was so great when we beat them. My brother is a Fkyers fan, all my friends are Flyers fans, etc. etc.

I didn't get a chance to go to the viewing parties in Southhampton only because I was still in Rhode Island for school. I wanna go to the next one though. It'd be great to meet some Devils fans who go through the same sh!t I do day in and day out lol