Backup Goaltender for Next Season - SCOTT CLEMMENSEN signed

Neb00rs

He is not coming back, and the article,gives no indication that he will.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“But, I don’t know. I’m not going to cross anything off."  - Brodeur on the possibility of playing here.

They have some good young guys, but I’m not sure what the decision will be,” Brodeur said. “He’s going to be waiting a little bit to see what I’m going to do."  Brodeur on Lou's course of action on July 1 regarding backup goaltenders.

Reading between the lines here, it's pretty clear what's going on.  Lou wants Brodeur back, but Brodeur doesn't want to stay here.  Still, there are absolutely no guarantees that Brodeur gets any offers from anyone else, and Brodeur seems dead set on playing another season.

“But, I don’t know. I’m not going to cross anything off."  - Brodeur on the possibility of playing here.

They have some good young guys, but I’m not sure what the decision will be,” Brodeur said. “He’s going to be waiting a little bit to see what I’m going to do."  Brodeur on Lou's course of action on July 1 regarding backup goaltenders.

Reading between the lines here, it's pretty clear what's going on.  Lou wants Brodeur back, but Brodeur doesn't want to stay here.  Still, there are absolutely no guarantees that Brodeur gets any offers from anyone else, and Brodeur seems dead set on playing another season.

This is what I was thinking yesterday and this quote confirmed it. Lou has never moved on. Not at the start of last year, not at the deadline...at no point last year, and it doesn't seem like he has moved on now either.

It's Brodeur that has moved on or wanted to move on for a while. The fact that Lou is going to keep a goalie spot warm for Brodeur just in case Marty gets rejected by all the other teams is....well it's a lot of things ranging from nice to sad.

Edited by devilsrule33

It's amazing how Marty says a bunch of good things in the article like this

“A lot of the conversation I had with him was to make sure we need to take care of Schneids,” Brodeur said. “I think that’s the main goal he has to worry about from my point of view. I’m sure he’s thinking the same. He’s been pretty open about it as far as wanting to get Cory back and signed and lock him in so they don’t have to worry about a goalie for six, seven more years. And it was the same in some of the conversations I had with him. So, it wasn’t really about a role (for him) or whatever, but, again, at his age, (Schneider) needs to start playing more hockey and see if he can take the load of 70-something games that I was able to do for so many years.

“Me and Lou, we have a great relationship and I think we understand both sides of the medal here,” Brodeur said. “For me, the future of the Devils is a lot more important than my future.”

And yet the only thing that gets attention around here is the blurb that Lou is probably going to wait to see what Marty does (which granted is a bit disconcerting unless that means they have enough confidence in Kinkaid that if Marty doesn't return it's likely he'll start the season as a backup if all the good backups are signed by the time Marty goes somewhere else).  Which causes people to rag on Marty again.  

Yes I didn't like the way he was popping off during the season but it's over now.  He knows the deal here and he's been dare I say back to his old self personality-wise since the season ended.

• Like 1

No, I'm very glad about that, but Brodeur does not say 'I'm not coming back here', which are the words I need to hear.  Brodeur can say all the right things provided he just does one thing, then I'll look to praise him.  He's always been a skilled talker.

“But, I don’t know. I’m not going to cross anything off." - Brodeur on the possibility of playing here.

They have some good young guys, but I’m not sure what the decision will be,” Brodeur said. “He’s going to be waiting a little bit to see what I’m going to do." Brodeur on Lou's course of action on July 1 regarding backup goaltenders.

Reading between the lines here, it's pretty clear what's going on. Lou wants Brodeur back, but Brodeur doesn't want to stay here. Still, there are absolutely no guarantees that Brodeur gets any offers from anyone else, and Brodeur seems dead set on playing another season.

You're starting to sound like the Ancient Aliens guy.

Lou has said he's not coming back. Marty has come as close as he can to saying he's not coming back, at least not next year.

There's more to the Kovalchuk coming back rumors.

You're starting to sound like the Ancient Aliens guy.

Lou has said he's not coming back. Marty has come as close as he can to saying he's not coming back, at least not next year.

There's more to the Kovalchuk coming back rumors.

When did Lou say that Brodeur wasn't coming back?  It's plain as day here that unless Brodeur is lying or Lou was lying to Brodeur that Lou is waiting around to make sure that Brodeur isn't without a team come July 2.

When did Lou say that Brodeur wasn't coming back? It's plain as day here that unless Brodeur is lying or Lou was lying to Brodeur that Lou is waiting around to make sure that Brodeur isn't without a team come July 2.

These are Lou quotes.

“We’re going forward. Cory is the goalie of the future for this team,” general manager Lou Lamoriello said Monday.

“First of all, the team did not have success so our feeling is that no individual had success,” Lamoriello suggested. “Cory came into a unique situation. It was difficult for both goaltenders. Now we’re going forward.

“Marty has made his decision. Quite frankly, I’m not going to make it a difficult topic.”

If you want an unequivocal, "read my lips" from Lou, you're never gonna get one. But this is as close as it gets.

When did Lou say that Brodeur wasn't coming back?  It's plain as day here that unless Brodeur is lying or Lou was lying to Brodeur that Lou is waiting around to make sure that Brodeur isn't without a team come July 2.

From everything we know about Lou and his affection for Brodeur, he will not end Brodeur's career if he wants to play. It is clear that in their discussions, they both agree Schneider has to be the starter for the team moving forward. That's great and that is why Brodeur wants to be anywhere but NJ. He knows what Schneider and the organization needs, and he knows what he wants. It's not to be playing 22 games for the Devils.

But the main thing that many people have been discussing for months is...what happens if Brodeur can't get a deal anywhere else, but NJ. How is that situation going to go down? If Cory struggles for two games and Marty gets a shutout in October...where does it go from there?

Has, Brodeur has always known Cory needed to be a starter last year as well, but he also didn't want to be a backup. That's why he wanted to get traded. I don't think there is much new there. 

Edited by devilsrule33

These are Lou quotes.

“We’re going forward. Cory is the goalie of the future for this team,” general manager Lou Lamoriello said Monday.

“First of all, the team did not have success so our feeling is that no individual had success,” Lamoriello suggested. “Cory came into a unique situation. It was difficult for both goaltenders. Now we’re going forward.

“Marty has made his decision. Quite frankly, I’m not going to make it a difficult topic.”

If you want an unequivocal, "read my lips" from Lou, you're never gonna get one. But this is as close as it gets.

Lou is delusional enough to believe that Brodeur will be wanted by several teams (and perhaps he's right), but I'm not so sure that is the case.  Clearly if you think this guy still has lots of value and he tells you 'I want to leave', well, you figure he's gone.  If Scott Gomez circa 2007 says 'Hey, Lou, I'm not staying, unless I get no offers at all from other teams', then okay, he's leaving.  But Brodeur isn't Gomez circa 2007 and I kinda think Lou is the only person who doesn't understand that, Schneider trade notwithstanding.

Lou is delusional enough to believe that Brodeur will be wanted by several teams (and perhaps he's right), but I'm not so sure that is the case. Clearly if you think this guy still has lots of value and he tells you 'I want to leave', well, you figure he's gone. If Scott Gomez circa 2007 says 'Hey, Lou, I'm not staying, unless I get no offers at all from other teams', then okay, he's leaving. But Brodeur isn't Gomez circa 2007 and I kinda think Lou is the only person who doesn't understand that, Schneider trade notwithstanding.

He makes a big trade for Schneider. Both Schneider and Brodeur say it was a bad situation being in the same team. Schneider hints that he wants assurances that he's getting 60 starts, if he's going to sign a long term deal. Lou has said Schneider is the future of the team. He then says there's nothing else to talk about when it comes to Marty. You hear stuff from Mark Fayne's agent, Stephen Gionta's agent that there is at least dialog about deals, yet nothing from Marty.

And with the Gomez comparison, if the Devils at that time had Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos and Tavaeres all waiting for a shot to be full time centers, maybe the situation would bear some kind of relevance.

At most might be some kind of token gesture so Marty is not humiliated when no one offers him a deal. That's an incredible long shot. He isn't coming back, and you soon won't have Nixon to kick around anymore.

He makes a big trade for Schneider. Both Schneider and Brodeur say it was a bad situation being in the same team. Schneider hints that he wants assurances that he's getting 60 starts, if he's going to sign a long term deal. Lou has said Schneider is the future of the team. He then says there's nothing else to talk about when it comes to Marty. You hear stuff from Mark Fayne's agent, Stephen Gionta's agent that there is at least dialog about deals, yet nothing from Marty.

You don't get it.  You are simply not understanding.  You are either not reading what I am saying or not reading what's been said in the press or both.  Lou is not making an offer to Brodeur now because Brodeur has made it very clear that he does not want to remain here.  That is not his goal.  His goal is to play elsewhere.  Unfortunately for Brodeur, the jig is up - he's not very good anymore.  He hasn't been particularly good in the last 4 years and has been especially bad in the last 2.  He is 42 years old.  In addition, Brodeur has all sorts of weird demands about where he wants to play - he doesn't want to be a backup.  Except maybe on a contender.  Who knows what his salary demands are?  He shouldn't be paid more than $1 million a year, but he probably wants 3.  And so on.  Plus the market for goalies is absolutely terrible - just about everyone has a starter and most of those teams have a plausible backup as well.  It is not out of the realm of possibility that he receives no substantial offers, or no offers that he likes.  Again, the money paraphrase here is 'Lou will wait around to see what I do'.  If Brodeur wanted to come back here, he'd be signed already or at least negotiating, that much is clear.

And with the Gomez comparison, if the Devils at that time had Crosby, McDavid, Stamkos and Tavaeres all waiting for a shot to be full time centers, maybe the situation would bear some kind of relevance.

If the Devils had a backup goalie signed for next year this would make sense, but they do not.  They have a guy who has 1 game of NHL experience.  And not even a full game.

At most might be some kind of token gesture so Marty is not humiliated when no one offers him a deal. That's an incredible long shot. He isn't coming back, and you soon won't have Nixon to kick around anymore.

It's not an incredible long shot.  It's unlikely, but it is not an incredible long shot.

Edited by Triumph

You don't get it. You are simply not understanding. You are either not reading what I am saying or not reading what's been said in the press or both.

You are ignoring everything that Lou has said and done, you are ignoring 99 percent of what Marty said, you are ignoring what Schneider said, and a million other things.

For the last time, if Lou thought Marty had anything left in the tank, Schneider is not on this team. Period. End of story.

We get it, this is your last hurrah to blame everything from passing on Shea Weber, to not having won the last eight Stanley Cups on Marty.

You are ignoring everything that Lou has said and done, you are ignoring 99 percent of what Marty said, you are ignoring what Schneider said, and a million other things.

For the last time, if Lou thought Marty had anything left in the tank, Schneider is not on this team. Period. End of story.

We get it, this is your last hurrah to blame everything from passing on Shea Weber, to not having won the last eight Stanley Cups on Marty.

No. That's ridiculous. Even if Lou thought Brodeur was the best goalie in the world (and lets say he was at the time of the draft), it's still a trade you make because Brodeur was 41 years old and Cory Schneider is a damn good goalie that's relatively young.

I am very worried that Cory will want to delay signing until Marty signs elsewhere or we sign a backup. I'm a little worried, but we'll see what happens. I think we're in for quite a weekend.

I'm looking forward to TG's next blog post, where he's supposed to have updates on free agent issues.

But the fact that Fayne's agent says that he's been talking to Lou and expects to do so through the draft leads me to believe that big moves are coming. If the idea were to sit still, we'd get the same stuff that we heard with Clarkson, Martin and Gionta when free agency was approaching.

EDIT: well, that article was a big let down.

Edited by Daniel

No. That's ridiculous. Even if Lou thought Brodeur was the best goalie in the world (and lets say he was at the time of the draft), it's still a trade you make because Brodeur was 41 years old and Cory Schneider is a damn good goalie that's relatively young.

Brodeur hatred causes otherwise logical people, people that have almost Spock like logic, to throw all logic out the window. Schneider, at the time of the trade had two years left on his deal before he gets to free agency. If Marty is in the equation after one year, you run the risk of losing the guy you gave up a very good draft pick to get. And even if not, you give out a long term deal for at what will likely be $5 million plus to play 45 games.

It isn't happening.

EDIT: in fact, one of the first things that people mentioned when Lou mad the deal was the fact that Schneider was when Schneider was a UFA. You really think that never occurred to Lou when he made the deal in the first place?

Edited by Daniel

Brodeur hatred causes otherwise logical people, people that have almost Spock like logic, to throw all logic out the window. Schneider, at the time of the trade had two years left on his deal before he gets to free agency. If Marty is in the equation after one year, you run the risk of losing the guy you gave up a very good draft pick to get. And even if not, you give out a long term deal for at what will likely be $5 million plus to play 45 games.

It isn't happening.

EDIT: in fact, one of the first things that people mentioned when Lou mad the deal was the fact that Schneider was when Schneider was a UFA. You really think that never occurred to Lou when he made the deal in the first place?

I don't see it as a concern from Schneider's camp.  That's not why I am concerned.  I don't think it will affect negotiations with Schneider one way or another.  

You have not addressed why Brodeur told Gulitti that Lou would wait around to see what happens.  Why would Lou tell him that?  Is he lying?  Is Brodeur lying?  Why would that happen?  Why would that happen unless Lou wanted to make sure that if Brodeur received no offers he liked that he could still play for the Devils next year?

Brodeur wants to go elsewhere and Lou is obviously upset about that, but Lou might be the only one left who thinks Brodeur is any good.

I really think that Lou is pursuing multiple angles going into the Draft as it seems other GM's are looking to be very active as well. I still believe the only way this team becomes competitive is by trading Schneids. I have a feeling that Lou is listening, hence Marty still being in the picture. I can't see a situation where Schneids signs a deal if Border is still an FA, although I guess if Lou gave his word on Brodeur not returning then maybe that would suffice.

They should have moved him at deadline or even before. Huge mistake.

I really think that Lou is pursuing multiple angles going into the Draft as it seems other GM's are looking to be very active as well. I still believe the only way this team becomes competitive is by trading Schneids. I have a feeling that Lou is listening, hence Marty still being in the picture. I can't see a situation where Schneids signs a deal if Border is still an FA, although I guess if Lou gave his word on Brodeur not returning then maybe that would suffice.

They should have moved him at deadline or even before. Huge mistake.

So your theory is this team will be better by trading one of the best goaltenders in the league for assets and replacing him with one of the worst? Got it.

Unless they are getting something huge back this team is in no place whatsoever to trade away their strengths. Devils have to build through ufa signings for the time being while building up a decent pool of offensive prospects in the next few years.

Edited by Zubie#8

So your theory is this team will be better by trading one of the best goaltenders in the league for assets and replacing him with one of the worst? Got it.

First, it depends what the return would be in a trade. How do you can a trade if you don't know what the return is? What assets do the Devils have to make trades? What free agents are dying to come here? (I've only seen them flee) What offensive talent resides in Albany? Secondly, I never said Marty was to be the starter in any scenario. However, if they acquired Greiss(or comparable goalie) and gave him the starter's spot I could see Lou bringing Marty back.

I guess you feel that this season is gonna be different in scoring goals. Enjoy watching Schneider lose 1-0 and 2-1 games 40 times a year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

So Greiss and Brodeur will do better with this group of players? Our crap offense is the exact reason why we need a great goalie like Schneider. Whatever comes back in a trade of Schneider will not cure the offense of this team, it will take a few years of signing plugs and developing talent in Albany. That's why we can't trade away our strengths which is D and goaltending.

Hypothetically say we trade Cory for a player like Ryan O'rielly straight up and sign Brodeur and Griess. Do you think that will make the offense better? Not much at all and you have two shaky goaltenders in net now. The strength of this team is the defense and Schneider. Lock him up long term.

Edited by Zubie#8