307 replies to this topic

#201 PWW

PWW

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:55 PM

This is a lot of discussion and gloom and doom for a guy who hasn't missed any time at all yet. If he misses any games, I'll be mad, but until that time who cares what he decides to do. He's staying in game shape and not abandoning the fans when he doesn't need to instead of coming home and twiddling his thumbs waiting for the CBA to get ratified and for camp to start. He's not on the Devils' time right now, he has no reason to leave yet.

believe-devs.jpg

#202 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

98% of players sign lifetime contracts? Could've fooled me.

Most of them get more than two or three offers to decide from though. It's a bit harder imo deciding between 'twenty' teams (unless you already had one in mind) the way Parise and Suter did this offseason, or between ten-twelve teams on a still relatively long-term deal like 5-7 years.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 09 January 2013 - 05:05 PM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#203 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

TG
By the way, I reached out to Ilya Kovalchuk's agent, Jay Grossman, again last night and he declined to comment on the situation.

ok...i dont care how optimistic we can be... Kovy said himself that maybe he'd stay in Russia after the lockout a few months ago... now so far he NEVER said he'd come back he just said "we'll see"... and his agent doesnt want to comment on it...

its looking pretty bad when you don't look at it with blinders on.

Todd Cordell
SKA GM, and former Devil, Alexei Kasatonov says he will do everything possible to keep Ilya Kovalchuk from returning to New Jersey.

i fvcking hope Lou is on the phone trying to make something happen here and not just standing there for something to happen with the situation before its too late

Edited by SterioDesign, 10 January 2013 - 10:14 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#204 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

It'd be devastating for NJ if Kovy didn't show up, but there are some positives:

A) his contract sucks and it'd be voided
B) we'd probably get that first back and maybe the third
C) we could get Drouin or Mackinnon (jk)

That being said, his ass better be in NJ by Monday

#205 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

I havent really posted a ton of my support for Kovy during last year and him getting the big C on his jersey but this drama is swinging me over to giving that responsibility to someone who wants to play for our team. I dont see a reason why he cant openly respect his Devils teammates and fans and just be up front with the situation.<br />

Edited by Devlin, 10 January 2013 - 10:47 AM.

#206 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:52 AM

It'd be devastating for NJ if Kovy didn't show up, but there are some positives:

A) his contract sucks

How does his contract suck? His contract is fantastic. Having a player of his caliber at a $6.66 million cap hit is amazing, especially as salaries continue to skyrocket. Right now, Kovy has the 32nd highest cap hit in the league. For a guy who finished in the top 5 in the league in points last year, that's a good deal in my eyes.

I havent really posted a ton of my support for Kovy during last year and him getting the big C on his jersey but this drama is swinging me over to giving that responsibility to someone who wants to play for our team. I

We don't know that he doesn't want to play for the Devils. He has never said that. It's all speculation with no real merit. That could change, but as of now, I think we should all give Kovy the benefit of the doubt.
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#207 Devlin

Devlin

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

We don't know that he doesn't want to play for the Devils. He has never said that. It's all speculation with no real merit. That could change, but as of now, I think we should all give Kovy the benefit of the doubt.

Trust me...Im still a big fan and supporter of Kovy but like I said, I wish he would be vocal and temper the speculations surrounding all of this.

Sent from my SCH-I800 using Tapatalk 2

#208 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,825 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

How does his contract suck? His contract is fantastic. Having a player of his caliber at a $6.66 million cap hit is amazing, especially as salaries continue to skyrocket. Right now, Kovy has the 32nd highest cap hit in the league. For a guy who finished in the top 5 in the league in points last year, that's a good deal in my eyes.

Get back to me in 6-8 years. It's great at the moment, but we all know it will blow up at the end. If he retires after year 12 (after he made all his money) we'll still be on the hook for like 4 million until the term is complete

#209 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,423 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:11 AM

The cap might be a zillion dollars by the time Kovy's contract becomes an albatross.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#210 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM

The Devils will be well below this year's cap ($14M below this year's), next year's cap (probably - hard to imagine them spending $10M more next year than this year), and each subsequent cap. Cap space just is not an issue for them anymore with teams like Toronto and Montreal skewing the cap upwards for everyone. In that light, having a guy signed for 13 more years is not a great deal. If the Devils could have Kovalchuk signed at a $9M cap hit for the next 6 years it would be a much better deal.

Kasatonov's speech gives me hope, because to me it sounds like he is trying to put pressure on Ilya to stay in Russia by making it public. If it was a done deal, I don't know why he'd say something like that.

Edited by Triumph, 10 January 2013 - 11:22 AM.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#211 JWomp

JWomp

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

The Devils will be well below this year's cap ($14M below this year's), next year's cap (probably - hard to imagine them spending $10M more next year than this year), and each subsequent cap. Cap space just is not an issue for them anymore with teams like Toronto and Montreal skewing the cap upwards for everyone. In that light, having a guy signed for 13 more years is not a great deal. If the Devils could have Kovalchuk signed at a $9M cap hit for the next 6 years it would be a much better deal.

If the Devils will be well below future salary caps, how is the Kovy deal detrimental? If the team isn't going to spend up to the cap anyway, who cares if we have dead cap space if Kovy retires early?
Check out my Devils game used memorabilia collection: http://community.web...user/TJordan522

#212 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:46 AM

Todd Cordell

Wow RT @D_LEED: Datsyuk, Malkin, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin were guaranteed $30 million each by Russian President Vladimir Putin to stay in KHL.

whats scary is that if they were willing to throw 120million to keep those guys... since there's only one who "may" want to stay... im scare to know how much they'd throw at him now

Edited by SterioDesign, 10 January 2013 - 11:56 AM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#213 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

if he stays, that would be the end of russian hockey in nhl. no team will risk a contract with them again. so he better be responsible for aspiring russian players' sake.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#214 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break" - Kovalchuk to Sport-Express

that statement just cost him captaincy if he comes back in the NHL

www.SterioDesign.com

#215 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:19 PM

"I want to stay in St. Petersburg but I have contractual obligations in the NHL, which will be hard to break" - Kovalchuk to Sport-Express

i feel like that is missing some of kovy's words. He probably said more but these reporters cut out the rest to make it seem this way
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#216 Chuck the Duck

Chuck the Duck

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:20 PM

Todd Cordell

Wow RT @D_LEED: Datsyuk, Malkin, Kovalchuk and Ovechkin were guaranteed $30 million each by Russian President Vladimir Putin to stay in KHL.

whats scary is that if they were willing to throw 120million to keep those guys... since there's only one who "may" want to stay... im scare to know how much they'd throw at him now

I don't know if that source is reliable or where that information came from. But it wouldn't surprise me since Putin is playing with the Russian government's money and has nobody to be accountable to.

Edited by Chuck the Duck, 10 January 2013 - 12:21 PM.

Posted Image

#217 squishyx

squishyx

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,282 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

Not really, he is talking to Russia media. What do you expect him to say? "I've been using you for money while my league sorts it's sh!t out?"

All of this to me seems like much ado about nothing.

#218 newarkdev01

newarkdev01

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:33 PM

Not really, he is talking to Russia media. What do you expect him to say? "I've been using you for money while my league sorts it's sh!t out?"

All of this to me seems like much ado about nothing.

I don't know if I would take it soo lightly. I fully believe that the KHL and Russian nationalist would do everythign in their power to make a national splash by keeping a star like Kovy. I don't think they have ever made it a secret that they wish to be the premier hockey league instead of the NHL. I can imagine that there is tremendous pressure from all levels (from the President to the local fans) in Russia on Kovy to become a national hero and flip the bird to the NHL. Certainly if you take a Russian politicians short terms perspective, why wouldn't they try to press him.

This all being said, I would only put the chance of that happening at 5-10% tops as I have to imagine Kovy can anticipate the blowback and the fact that Olympics and any future NHL play would be out of the question.

Edited by newarkdev01, 10 January 2013 - 12:36 PM.

#219 caron14

caron14

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:34 PM

Clarification: Kovalchuk spoke of this year only. The phrasing leads to believe he'd like to finish season w/ SKA, return to NJD in the fall

I can understand it... He start something with them and Kovy is an emotional guys.... I am the same type of guy, i have no prob if he play ska till the end of the year then come back... That being said i would like him to get his ass monday in Jersey( But i can understand)

#220 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • 27,752 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

If the Devils will be well below future salary caps, how is the Kovy deal detrimental? If the team isn't going to spend up to the cap anyway, who cares if we have dead cap space if Kovy retires early?

Because he might be awful in a few years, and then the Devils have all kinds of money tied up in an awful player.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users