Devils re-sign Bryce Salvador

Amberite

Here's my prediction. Parise still needs to talk to his fiance. if its true she's a teacher he's gone because teaching in nj is horrible. Lou uses salvador for a trade.

Salvador, tedenby, urbom, 3rd round

Ryan, 2nd round

They didn't sign Sal to trade him. And c'mon, Tedenby pretty much has no value right now. You're not trying to make a fair deal, you're trying to fleece...Bobby Ryan has put up 31+ goals the last four seasons. I hate when fans do this...Yankee fans call the WFAN with proposals like this all of the time.

They didn't sign Sal to trade him. And c'mon, Tedenby pretty much has no value right now. You're not trying to make a fair deal, you're trying to fleece...Bobby Ryan has put up 31+ goals the last four seasons. I hate when fans do this...Yankee fans call the WFAN with proposals like this all of the time.

Are you saying we'll have to through in a 7th rounder?

Are you saying we'll have to through in a 7th rounder?

If they throw in Corey Perry.

The only thing as old as Triumph using numbers to prove his point, is posters telling Triumph "numbers don't show everything" and then using unfunny exaggerations of how esoteric he gets and then high-fiving each other for it. puke.gif

• Like 1

Bobby Ryan is not going anywhere unless there's a first round pick involved. Anaheim is rebuilding, not retooling. I'd not be surprised at all to see two of Perry, Getzlaf, and Ryan gone by the trade deadline. Our first round picks are extremely valuable to us right now because we owe one for Kovalchuk. We're likely not going to give one up in 2013 because we're hosting the draft.

Basically, we have 0 chance at landing Ryan unless we're prepared to give up two of our top defensive prospects (they want defense) + high draft picks. They won't value Gelinas/Urbom/Merrill as highly as we do.

Any package we can offer can be trumped by Philly or even Buffalo.

Tri, we often use numbers because we don't see every player play every minute of every game. So numbers are the best resource in determining how good a player was over 80+ games in a season of 300+ games of his recent seasons.

For Salvador, I happen to think he was more effective last season than his numbers suggest. I'm comfortable thinking they're doing him a bit of injustice because I saw every single play he made last season, and the seasons before.

When I have only seen a player play 20 or 30 games, I'd like to see what the numbers say and give them credence. When I've seen a player play every game I'm going to give more benefit of the doubt to my eyes.

All this can be true. And not to mention I haven't been talking about the PK where I think Salvador was very good. But still - he's 36 years old. Even if I grant that he was basically a break-even player against moderately difficult competition (which by the numbers he wasn't, but I'm granting here), he's going to decline, quickly, and soon.

My guess is that Ken Daneyko is slightly overrated by Devils fans. Yes, he was tough, yes, he blocked shots, and was willing to fight, and the fact that he stayed a Devil for his whole career - whenever Devils fans think of a no-offense, hard-nosed, kill-himself-or-someone-else-to-win-a-game defenseman, that guy will be compared to Daneyko, and rightfully so - he may not have been a great player in the traditional sense of the word, but he was a great Devil, and maybe in some ways the greatest. All that's a long-winded preamble to saying that I imagine Lou thinks of Salvador the same way. Still, Daneyko played until he was 39. His ice-time per game, unfortunately only recorded from 98-99 on, goes as follows: 20, 18, 17, 15.5, 15.5. That's kinda the trajectory I see for Salvador, and I just can't see paying that much for leadership and locker room stuff when the on-ice play isn't likely to be there. I recognize that 3rd pairing defenseman on the open market are getting 1.5M, so 2.5M seems like a fair price, but the Devils can't afford to be paying a premium for this stuff.

Wouldn't buying out that last year make the deal less bad in your opinion? Because it becomes less actual money spread out over more time? The cap implication doesn't matter.

I was mostly being flip. Who knows what'll happen with 35+ contracts.

The only thing as old as Triumph using numbers to prove his point, is posters telling Triumph "numbers don't show everything" and then using unfunny exaggerations of how esoteric he gets and then high-fiving each other for it. puke.gif

Followed by a snarky post from you. Circle of life, it would seem.

Zero need to waste money on Janssen and we're flush at 30+ year old players.

You definitely need a guy like Cam every once in a while, especially when you see the kind of signings the Rangers and Islanders did Sunday. Would I use him more than 30 games? No, but he is needed for certain situations.

Bryce is a locker room leader and he's respected by the players. Chemistry like that is extremely important.

They couldn't have used the extra 3m this season to ensure Parise's big signing bonus and pay the captain? Or, I dunno, find a replacement?

I liked Salvador's palyoffs. This sucks, though.

I loved his playoffs as well--he was the definition of clutch--but I am not aware of anything in his career to suggest that that was anything more than a very nice, very positive fluke. I loved it, it helped us, but he hit the post-season lottery.... I mean, does Lou think he is signing the second coming of Claude Lemieux here? I hope not.