I want to root for a team who ...

HellOnICE

Perhaps its time for Vanderbeek to remind Lou who actually pays him.

Also, when did this type of moment occur during the season...have the Devils ever had a chance to do this?

Elias coming back from Hep, Marty coming back from injury, Arnott returning.....

Honestly what difference would it make? People still cheered Marty to the high heavens when he came back, they cheered Arnott, hell they cheered Lemaire - and I think the Devils 'not recognizing' their players gets overrated in terms of Lou's treatment of them. Enough of them come back and stay after their careers are over that I think Lou treats the players good for the most part, without showing their face in the press box.

Regardless of what people want to think or say and in all appreciation for what Lou has done for and means to this team the Devils will only be able to move forward as an organization on, and off, the ice when he is finally gone....

Lou and the marketing department can be better with the fans for sure, but that's a tough thing to say about a team that's missed the playoffs twice in the last two decades. We're about another bad season (and Parise defection) away from Lou entering George Young territory but be careful what you wish for, just because we've had diminishing returns for a few seasons there's no reason to think Lou can't get out of it or that the next guy will be better.

Besides, Lou 'modernized' himself with the Kovy thing or allowed others to do it, how has that worked out so far? Even worse than Manta could have predicted.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Honestly what difference would it make? People cheered Marty to the high heavens when he came back, they cheered Arnott, hell they cheered Lemaire - and I think the Devils 'not recognizing' their players gets overrated in terms of Lou's treatment of them. Enough of them come back and stay after their careers are over that I think Lou treats the players good for the most part, without showing their face in the press box.

Exactly. This is just an excuse to find something to whine about. There are more important things to address.

Well -- to be frank I feel that Joe Niewendyke made a very public welcome home for his buddy and -- (insert long awkward pause)

I think it's sentimental bullsh!t that I, as a fan do not need to see or take part in.

These guys aren't my buddies. I woudl have been embarrassed to have a welcome back Arnott tribute. It's --- it's bullsh!t and shoudl be saved for Joe and Jamie alone. I think it's crap for people to try to take part in stuff like this -- but whatever - reality TV is HUGE so I'm obviously against the tide.

The Kovy fiasco was a combination of ownership wanting something and a GM who begrudged the notion and what we got was the worst of it, an albatross of a contract with random pieces without any resemblance to anything cohesive...there was no "modernizing" of Lou for that to get done...

And the point isn't to make the fans feel good or give us something to cheer its to make the players feel like they are more than just pieces to a puzzle, tireless work horses bought for the sole purpose of winning a Stanley Cup...good morale and feeling like you belong to something, that you aren't just another disposable piece (as Rafalski, Martin, Gomez, Gionta, and others I'm sure have felt) goes a long way...

Well -- to be frank I feel that Joe Niewendyke made a very public welcome home for his buddy and -- (insert long awkward pause)

I think it's sentimental bullsh!t that I, as a fan do not need to see or take part in.

These guys aren't my buddies. I woudl have been embarrassed to have a welcome back Arnott tribute. It's --- it's bullsh!t and shoudl be saved for Joe and Jamie alone. I think it's crap for people to try to take part in stuff like this -- but whatever - reality TV is HUGE so I'm obviously against the tide.

I'm sure you didn't mind the Stevens retirement ceremony though... :)

As overblown or pointlessly awkward it might have been, it was showing respect to a player who had previously been a part of the franchise and, like he was with us, a key component to winning the team a Stanley Cup...its a nice thing to do and I'm sure that Langs appreciated what is slowly becoming the anti-Devils sentiment...at some point the Devils had that magic, that family chemistry that any team would envy but it has slowly morphed into a high shool clique that the league despises...

Meh. I've been to Stevens Night, two Daneyko Nights, Emrick Night, pre-game ceremonies for Rolston and Brodeur, and undoubtedly more that I can't think of off the top of my head ... the Devils do plenty to honor people at appropriate times.

I do think it's kinda funny that people hate when Lou goes the re-tread route, and then not only become jealous of a different team acquiring a re-tread but throwing a pre-game party for him.

And the point isn't to make the fans feel good or give us something to cheer its to make the players feel like they are more than just pieces to a puzzle, tireless work horses bought for the sole purpose of winning a Stanley Cup...good morale and feeling like you belong to something, that you aren't just another disposable piece (as Rafalski, Martin, Gomez, Gionta, and others I'm sure have felt) goes a long way...

That's exactly what it sounds like it is about - because it's the fans complaining about this, not ex-players. Evidence suggests Lou does plenty for key players to make them feel appreciated, it's just not stuff that's done for public consumption except at appropriate times.

If anything I'd argue in the past few years Lou's gone too overboard letting the inmates run the asylum (firing coaches left and right while not doing much to shake up the locker room) and that needs to be changed.

at some point the Devils had that magic, that family chemistry that any team would envy but it has slowly morphed into a high shool clique that the league despises...

The league despises us because of the Kovy contract and plus they feel Lou was getting the benefit of the doubt for years before the league put both its feet down on our throat this offseason. Not to mention the highest payroll in the league having the worst record is always an object for ridicule.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I'm sure you didn't mind the Stevens retirement ceremony though... :)

As overblown or pointlessly awkward it might have been, it was showing respect to a player who had previously been a part of the franchise and, like he was with us, a key component to winning the team a Stanley Cup...its a nice thing to do and I'm sure that Langs appreciated what is slowly becoming the anti-Devils sentiment...at some point the Devils had that magic, that family chemistry that any team would envy but it has slowly morphed into a high shool clique that the league despises...

Stevens night was sort of goofy. The number retirement night - that was cool :evil:

The Jamie thing was sh!t -- at best it was Joe saying thanks for having you back at worst it was Joe having his revenge for never getting a call from Lou over the Summer. We know how to appreciate OUR players Jamie. Really? So are you going to do that for every former player to come back? Somehow I really dont think so. No this was all The GMs buddy had a hard time of it and he;s always welcome to his hockey home here in Dallas.

Return of the Prodigal Son because he's so synonymous with the Stars :blink:

ARE YOU KIDDING ME????????? :doh1:

Devils never had "family chemistry." Closest wad 2002 - yeah, family chemistry as in a bunch of childish brothers turning on Larry and in-fighting ad nausium.

Lou waived his value driven hockey in the leagues face and said this is how you do it men. They were an arrogant team - but the arrogance was backed by talent confidence and plain ability.

A little thing, a spotlight shining your way, you wave and nod, the crowd cheers...its a good thing to show the players that they are appreciated...and its an even better thing that he isn't a stalwart of the Dallas franchise because that would be too obvious...I'm not asking for anything really, definitely not saying we have to stop every game and hold mini-ceremonies for every player we have but to show a player who did mean a little something to the team in the past and is now back, for whatever reason, that they aren't just another cog in the machine isn't a bad thing....

Then again, giving out free tickets, because the team is in the sh!tter, to the already barren, ever dwindling fan base is always a better option I guess....

the only point I'm trying to make, and this is even before I read Mitico's thread, is Lou's status quo of treating the players the way he has and moving the franchise in HIS direction isn't working...it won't work any longer and is slowly driving the fans and the rest of the organization down the wrong path...

Dallas acquired a good player and one who was there before. Langenbrunner will help Dallas in the playoffs and will do very well. Dallas should be excited for him to be back............... Obviously ( see todays and thursday game) us getting rid of langenbrunner didnt help us and if anything made us worse.

A little thing, a spotlight shining your way, you wave and nod, the crowd cheers...its a good thing to show the players that they are appreciated...

:blush: well when you put it THAT way. Heehee. Thing of it is -- the first time a Devil returns he's normally on the bench not sitting in the stands so - it makes no difference either way.

A little thing, a spotlight shining your way, you wave and nod, the crowd cheers...its a good thing to show the players that they are appreciated...and its an even better thing that he isn't a stalwart of the Dallas franchise because that would be too obvious...I'm not asking for anything really, definitely not saying we have to stop every game and hold mini-ceremonies for every player we have but to show a player who did mean a little something to the team in the past and is now back, for whatever reason, that they aren't just another cog in the machine isn't a bad thing....

Then again, giving out free tickets, because the team is in the sh!tter, to the already barren, ever dwindling fan base is always a better option I guess....

the only point I'm trying to make, and this is even before I read Mitico's thread, is Lou's status quo of treating the players the way he has and moving the franchise in HIS direction isn't working...it won't work any longer and is slowly driving the fans and the rest of the organization down the wrong path...

what in the world are you talking about? are they supposed to put a spotlight on the cripple box and say "hey, it's x, y and z?" really?