Devils To Announce New Coach At 2pm...eom

ljc99

In his defense, he didnt have a lot of good players in Montreal, especially the players who thrive under his system, which are the two way forwards like Madden and the defenseman. Also, Theodore played like crap while he was coach, now he has Brodeur.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My Webpage

Devils name Julien new bench boss

June 13, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Devils are finally getting a new coach after going much of last season with their general manager behind the bench.

BREAKING NEWS: The team has announced CLaude Julien as the new coach. More details will follow.

The team scheduled a Tuesday afternoon news conference to announce the hiring. Devils spokesman Jeff Alstadter said he did not know who it would be.

Goaltender Martin Brodeur also was in the dark about the coaching successor to president and general manager Lou Lamoriello.

"I have no idea, that's Lou's job," Brodeur said Tuesday.

Lamoriello replaced a worn-out Larry Robinson behind the bench in December with the Devils in danger of missing the playoffs.

Assistant John MacLean, who ran many of the practices after Lamoriello took over, was among those considered to have a good shot at the coaching job.

Lamoriello did not return a call from The Associated Press on Monday. He was in a meeting Tuesday morning and not immediately available, his administrative assistant said.

New Jersey went 32-18 under Lamoriello and captured the Atlantic Division title with a season-ending 11-game winning streak. The Devils swept the Rangers in the first round of the playoffs to push the run to 15 games, but they were eliminated by the Carolina Hurricanes in five games in the second round. Carolina is now one win from capturing the Stanley Cup.

Interesting quote from after Julien was canned in Montreal:

"This one was a surprise," said Canadiens defenceman Craig Rivet during the team's morning skate. "None of us expected this at all.

"I think it's unfortunate that it's always the coach that takes the fall for lack of production from players. He gave us a game plan and guys maybe chose not to follow it. That's too bad because he's a good coach."

<JESTER>

2003-2004 Canadiens 67 3,960 33 28 5 150 1,860 6 2.27 .919

Yep, that's terrible. I'd hate that. :doh1:

He played like crap.

LINK

TSN.ca Staff

6/13/2006 1:14:14 PM

The New Jersey Devils on Tuesday hired Claude Julien as their head coach.

''Claude Julien brings experience, knowledge, enthusiasm, and discipline that will complement the players here in the New Jersey Devils organization,'' said Devils president and general manager Lou Lamoriello.

Julien was fired as the Montreal Canadiens head coach in January of this year after three years behind the bench. In the 2003-04 season he led the Canadiens to a 41-30-7-4 record and into the second round of the playoffs.

Julien replaces Lamoriello, who coached the Devils for much of the season after Larry Robinson stepped down in December. The Devils were 32-18 under Lamoriello and won the Atlantic Division title thanks to an 11-game winning streak to end the regular season.

Throughout the Press Conference I keep hearing him preach about Consistency. That is something the team definitely lacked in 2005-2006. If he gets the team rolling and acts on his consistency philosophy, we could be in for a treat.

When Julien was hired by the Habs, from Kara at The Sporting News:

New Canadiens coach Claude Julien has experience in getting his players on the same page. With Hamilton of the AHL, Julien worked with players from the Oilers' and Canadiens' organizations--teams playing in different conferences and with different styles--and brought them together in one system. That will help him in his first NHL job. Mien brings enthusiasm to his job, which will rub off on his players. Julien's arrival will help RW Mariusz Czerkawski, who was recalled after a successful run under Julien with Hamilton

<JESTER>

CLAUDE JULIEN

Claude Julien became the 26th head coach in Montreal Canadiens history on January 17, 2003. Julien was in his third season with the Hamilton Bulldogs of the AHL, where his team had a league-leading record of 33-6-3-3. He amassed a record of 98-88-19 (.524) behind the Hamilton bench before taking the Montreal post. After missing the Calder Cup Playoffs in 2000-01, the former-Bulldogs coach guided his team to the seventh game of the Eastern Conference Final in 2002. Prior to taking the job in Hamilton in April of 2000, the native of Blind River, Ont. spent four seasons as head coach with the Hull Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League where he led the Olympiques to a Memorial Cup victory in 1997 and to the 2000 QMJHL finals. Julien spent eight seasons playing in the American Hockey League, totaling 246 points in 469 games. In the 1988-89 season the defenseman was named an AHL Second Team All-star. He also played 14 total games in the NHL for both the Quebec Nordiques and the St. Louis Blues.

This seems like a good hire but only time will tell....looks like we'll find out this season....on another note there was a little, tiny, miniscule, tidbit of info on Elias....the Maven asked if he had any update...he said no and if there was we would know...but he also said.....

"We will do everything in our power to retain Patrik." - Lou Lamoriello

That seems like a good sign :) .....but I might just be hopeful...

D'OH.....too slow :)

Edited by UnderDogX

Coaching is not *that* big a deal ... all you need is Not Larry Robinson it seems, as the only serious regular season struggles of the last 8 years have come with him at the helm. Even Kevin Constantine looked like a genius until the playoffs.

I like the hire, I didn't feel Andy Murray was right for this club.

I have no problem with this. Andy Murray is a team killer. No team can maintain his pace for a full season. Julien will be fine. Much better than a retread like Fat Quinn.

MacLean was not ready, he will eventualoly get his shot.

I wanted Ted Nolan but Julien will be fine.

I wish Stan had asked about the radio people, but whatever.

Question...have Claude Julien and political commentator David Gergen ever been seen in the same room at the same time???

I never realized before how much they look alike.