2012 Jets Thread

Beezer34

Might as well morph this into the 2011-2012 thread for the Jets...some of the going ons thus far

..sounds like a plan sir. :thumbsup:

In regards to the "going-on's thus far".. I'll be back in about a week, when all this upheaval settles down. Too many rumors/moves/stuff flying about to really know how to feel about anything.

This year, holmes will only count 2.4 mil against the cap (nice job by tanenbaum in structuring the deal) plus you have sanchez restructuring his deal, brad smith likely leaving, damien woody retiring as well as kris jenkins coming off the books, and braylon edwards leaving (with his replacement earning less of course...probably far less, so that will mean no Randy Moss

Thats still probably not enough...but i never count out Tanenbaum and his ability to manipulate the cap

Tannenbaum is really a genius. If we didn't have Ozzie....

http://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter/status/97658635055939585

Filed to ESPN: Plaxico Burress will sign with the N.Y. Jets. Confirmed. 1-year deal for $3,017,000, fully guaranteed. Plax is a Jet.

He was one of my favorite players for the Giants so I was hoping they would bring him back. I wish him the best of luck for the Jets and look forward to watching him play for them.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Signing a project wide receiver with talent

It's positively Patriot-like, wouldn't you say CR?

Sure is...the big difference being that the guy hasn't played in a while (I'm a little surprised by how much $$$ he got), so who knows what he brings at this point? A question that can only be answered come gametime.

One thing I'm pretty sure about is that Rex Ryan ain't taking any of his sh!t, so for Plax's sake he'd better show some kind of humility...Ryan's worked hard to get this going in the right direction, and I think if Plax doesn't contribute and/or causes off-the-field headaches, Ryan will show him the door, $3+ million or not.

And now Cromartie's back too...4 years, 32 million. So ironically, after all the sound and fury of FA the Jets wind up with essentially the same team they ended last year with (other than 'trading' Braylon for Plax) and I'm fine with that.

The big key to the Jets' season to me is Sanchez. His numbers have been so much better in the postseason than the regular season (9 TD and 3 INTs, over 60% comp% in the postseason...all of which was accomplished on the road...compared to 29 TDs and 33 INTs and 54.4% in the regular season). If he can play closer to his postseason form, the Jets have a great chance to at least host a playoff game or snag a first-round bye. What they've done in the postseason has been impressive, but asking your team to win three road playoff games every season is too much...at some point they have to take the path of less resistance if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

The big key to the Jets' season to me is Sanchez. His numbers have been so much better in the postseason than the regular season (9 TD and 3 INTs, over 60% comp% in the postseason...all of which was accomplished on the road...compared to 29 TDs and 33 INTs and 54.4% in the regular season). If he can play closer to his postseason form, the Jets have a great chance to at least host a playoff game or snag a first-round bye. What they've done in the postseason has been impressive, but asking your team to win three road playoff games every season is too much...at some point they have to take the path of less resistance if they want to get to the Super Bowl.

i would not be too worried about Sanchez, the bigger the game the better he plays. He is a future all-pro. I would be more concerned about the backfield.

You can always throw against Cromartie.

Edited by MantaRay

i would not be too worried about Sanchez, the bigger the game the better he plays. He is a future all-pro. I would be more concerned about the backfield.

You can always throw against Cromartie.

Except that the "small" games count too. Every QB is going to have less than stellar days, but Sanchez needs to up his game more consistently for the Jets to start thinking about a bye week. Yeah, he's played well in the playoffs, but it's like I keep saying, 3 road playoff games is a tough road to take. He plays better and there's a chance the Jets can host at least one game, maybe two, and get a week off.

Except that the "small" games count too. Every QB is going to have less than stellar days, but Sanchez needs to up his game more consistently for the Jets to start thinking about a bye week. Yeah, he's played well in the playoffs, but it's like I keep saying, 3 road playoff games is a tough road to take. He plays better and there's a chance the Jets can host at least one game, maybe two, and get a week off.

Agreed, but remember he is young and doesn't even have a lot of college experience. I think he may struggle early this year because they have a whole new receiveing corps to get used to.

yeah, but how much does he have left in the tank?

..or better yet, what do the Jets do next season when both Plaxico & Mason hit the bricks?

I'm really disgusted with this offseason. This was supposed to be the August the Jets stockpiled. The offseason where they kept all their talent, and added some in return.. and yet all I see in the "Arrivals" category is Mason & Plax. Meanwhile our departures are:

Braylon Edwards: 49er's

Jason Taylor: Dolphins

Brad Smith: Bills

James Ihedigbo: Rams (rumored)

Kris Jenkins: retirement

Steve Weatherford: Giants

Ben Hartsock: Panthers

Drew Coleman: Jaguars

Isaiah Trufant: Eagles

Vernon Gholston: Bears

Kellen Clemens: Redskins

Kevin O'Connell: Dolphins

Jerricho Cotchery: Steelers

Andre Dyson: Lions

Trevor Pryce: released/cut

Shaun Ellis: Patriots

Tony Richardson: retirement

Damien Woody: retirement

Laveranues Coles: retirement

--------

EDIT: The one thing I will say to defend Mason is (to the people that have been saying "last season was his worst since 2006. He's finished") age is just a number with this dude. He's a health freak, that reportedly works out 5x a day, and begins training for next season the moment the previous season ends.

Yes, as far as stats, last season was a down year for Mason. --But look at the Ravens roster! Anquan Boldin, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Donte' Stallworth, Todd Heap, Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, etc..

Joe Flacco had to spread the ball around more than ever to keep all those players happy, which in the end may have contributed to Mason's lack of touches.

Edited by Beezer34

--------

EDIT: The one thing I will say to defend Mason is (to the people that have been saying "last season was his worst since 2006. He's finished") age is just a number with this dude. He's a health freak, that reportedly works out 5x a day, and begins training for next season the moment the previous season ends.

Yes, as far as stats, last season was a down year for Mason. --But look at the Ravens roster! Anquan Boldin, TJ Houshmandzadeh, Donte' Stallworth, Todd Heap, Ray Rice, Willis McGahee, etc..

Joe Flacco had to spread the ball around more than ever to keep all those players happy, which in the end may have contributed to Mason's lack of touches.

You are absolutely correct in your assessment of Mason. Teams knew Mason historically has been Flacco's go to guy, so we had the spread the ball around, especially to Boldin and Rice out of the backfield. Mason still has a lot of compete in him and I know Harbaugh was still pitching him to come back as late as Thursday.

For Sanchez, this is a blessing. Mason will make him look good while Plax is still learning and teams double cover Holmes.

Mason isn't as fast as he was, but no one runs routes better or smarter than Mason. I hate that he is gone from the Ravens (I think this will hurt us in big games).

But the Jets got a player that will get them first downs.

..or better yet, what do the Jets do next season when both Plaxico & Mason hit the bricks?

The last thing in the world I'm worried about is who's going to be our WR in 2012...look at this current UFA list posted on another board:

WR Sam Aiken UFA

WR Danny Amendola RFA

WR Devin Aromashodu UFA

WR Dwayne Bowe UFA

WR Deion Branch UFA

WR Marques Colston UFA

WR Patrick Crayton UFA

WR Buster Davis UFA

WR Early Doucet UFA

WR Larry Fitzgerald UFA

WR Pierre Garcon UFA

WR Anthony Gonzalez UFA

WR Johnnie Lee Higgins UFA

WR Mario Manningham UFA

WR Robert Meachem UFA

WR Roscoe Parrish UFA

WR Trent Shelton UFA

WR Donte' Stallworth UFA

WR Limas Sweed UFA

WR Devin Thomas UFA

WR Kelley WashingtonUFA

WR Reggie Wayne UFA

WR Wes Welker UFA

Some stars and solid second-teamers like Garcon there too. That doesn't include Braylon, who's also on a one-year deal but I suspect the Jets don't want him long-term because of his off-field issues.

The losses do concern me in the short term and there's something to be said about the way we shoved Cotchery aside for Santonio-Braylon-Mason, as well as not really busting it to bring Ellis back but most of the losses you named were either guys who had gotten old and past the point of usefulness anyway or easily replaceable role players (like Smith).

It's just a reality in the cap era that you're not going to bring everyone back, really the Jets have done almost as well as could be expected given that they had three big FA's in the same offseason with a lower cap, brought two back while getting a comparable replacement for the other, and also extending Harris long-term.

I'm hardly a homer and don't expect us to beat out the Pats for the division but I don't see any reason they shouldn't be a playoff team again - the defense is about the same pending what happens with Ellis and the offense is pretty much the same talentwise though the age/fragility of Tomlinson-Plax-Mason is probably my biggest tangible concern.

The last thing in the world I'm worried about is who's going to be our WR in 2012...look at this current UFA list posted on another board:

Some stars and solid second-teamers like Garcon there too. That doesn't include Braylon, who's also on a one-year deal but I suspect the Jets don't want him long-term because of his off-field issues.

<_< Yeah I guess so. I just wanted to have some consistency on offense you know. Some sort of affinity (other than Keller) that the kid can cohere to. There's been so little stability when it comes to the Jets offense, and I think it may contribute (at times) to why Sanchez seems erratic during the regular season.

Consider the facelift our WR corp went through, in just 1 year..

August 2010 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Braylon Edwards.. Jerricho Cothcery.. Laveranues Coles.. & Brad Smith.

August 2011 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Plaxico Burress.. Derrick Mason.. Patrick Turner.. and Jeremy Kerley.

..so yeah, I guess next season we can bring in Wes Welker & Pierre Garçon. But again, the danger of Sanchez's discord needs to be taken into consideration.

---------------

EDIT: Even our running backs (when you think about it) the 2 seasons that Sanchez has played..

Leon Washington.. Thomas Jones.. Danny Woodhead.. Shonn Greene.. LaDainian Tomlinson.. Joey McKnight.. fvcking revolving door. :noclue:

Edited by Beezer34

<_< Yeah I guess so. I just wanted to have some consistency on offense you know. Some sort of affinity (other than Keller) that the kid can cohere to. There's been so little stability when it comes to the Jets offense, and I think it may contribute (at times) to why Sanchez seems erratic during the regular season.

Consider the facelift our WR corp went through, in just 1 year..

August 2010 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Braylon Edwards.. Jerricho Cothcery.. Laveranues Coles.. & Brad Smith.

August 2011 Training Camp - Santonio Holmes.. Plaxico Burress.. Derrick Mason.. Patrick Turner.. and Jeremy Kerley.

..so yeah, I guess next season we can bring in Wes Welker & Pierre Garçon. But again, the danger of Sanchez's discord needs to be taken into consideration.

---------------

EDIT: Even our running backs (when you think about it) the 2 seasons that Sanchez has played..

Leon Washington.. Thomas Jones.. Danny Woodhead.. Shonn Greene.. LaDainian Tomlinson.. Joey McKnight.. fvcking revolving door. :noclue:

and then wonder y sanchez gets called overrated. look at some of the names u justmentioned. and apparently thats not even enough if u guys went after heap. mark sanchez has been dealt a damn good hand. did the jets ever giv pennington those weapons?

and then wonder y sanchez gets called overrated. look at some of the names u justmentioned. and apparently thats not even enough if u guys went after heap. mark sanchez has been dealt a damn good hand. did the jets ever giv pennington those weapons?

Laveranues Coles, Wayne Chrebet, Santana Moss, Jerricho Cotchery, Curtis Martin, LaMont Jordan, etc. Pennington had his fair share of weapons.

Chad's biggest problem was staying healthy. Not how many "weapons" were around him.

..and if you want to blame anyone for Penny being muffled, blame Bradway & Herm.

Don't know if anyone posted this in here, but Shaun Ellis signed with New England.

..this offseason has been atrocious.

All 3 facets of the team (special teams, offense, and defense) have taken a step back imo.

JETS-1.png

Saw this last season on one of the Jets forums I frequent. I remember the pride I felt when I first saw it. Now it's difficult to swallow.

I don't want to hear; "these players weren't important" either. Because that just isn't true.

Braylon led all receivers in TD's. 28 of J-Co's 40 receptions, went for 1st down's. Ellis & Taylor combined for ¼ our sack total. We may not even win that Thanksgiving game, if it wasn't for Trevor Pryce's sack in the backfield for a safety. Or Brad Smith's KR for a TD. Ihedigbo had the best season he's ever had. You can go on and on.

-------------------------

I'm sorry to come off as disheartening.. but this season aint gonna be an easy one to watch. -_-

Those of you who know me, know my trackrecord for predicting the Jets overall record prior to the start of the season. Not to toot my own horn, but I have nailed 5 out of the last 6 years..

Prediction: 11-5 record.

..and now, I'm ready to call this season's..

8-8 and you can take that to the bank.

The Patriots have gotten ponderously stronger, and want to desperately wipe the egg off their face from the last 2 seasons. They have something to prove.. and that's a dangerous combination.

Meanwhile for Gang Green.. this offseason has been an absolute disgrace. Each and every "calculated" assumption has backfired on the Jets, and blown up in our faces. You can't say goodbye to 19 players on the roster (however important/unimportant their roles were) and think you can replace them seamlessly via draft & signing players 35+, without missing a beat. It doesn't work that way.

THAT team had cohesion. THAT team went to war with eachother. THAT team went to 2 back-to-back Championship games consecutive years in a row.. (that just doesn't happen by accident) and now that team has been scattered throughout the NFL.

I've been silent for nearly 2 weeks now, waiting for that impact type splash. Sadly, it never happened. -_-

..unless something is in the works, I'm sticking with an 8-8 season for our Jets.

Edited by Beezer34

The Patriots have gotten ponderously stronger, and want to desperately wipe the egg off their face from the last 2 seasons. They have something to prove.. and that's a dangerous combination.

Careful with that one. The Pats wanted to wipe the egg off their faces before last season too, after getting squashed by the Ravens at home in the playoffs. Everything was lined up perfectly for that to happen too...they had a bye, home-field throughout the playoffs...Brady was coming off a 36 TD, 4 INT reg-season campaign...and they were facing a team they had destroyed the last time they had faced them. All that was going for the Pats, and the Jets flat-out beat them, and convincingly, in their house.

Problem with the Pats is that, since 2007 really, they've become a front-running bully-type team, the type that can beat any other team by 30+ points any given Sunday, but doesn't seem to respond well when a team dares to push back. Yeah, based on having lost three playoffs games in a row, they should be hungry and pissed off and out to prove something, but I don't know if they have it in them. Do guys like Ochocinco and Hainesworth seem like the kind of guys who are going to help them in that regard?

The Ellis one does bother me, so much for Rex being a great recruiter, eh? He can't even keep the guys we got.

Is that all on Rex? The GM is the one who signs the players.

I don't know, I've been pretty impressed with what Rex has done so far (as far as coaching the last two seasons go). I get the feeling their losses aren't going to hurt them as much as you think...especially if Sanchez can start performing like he does in the regular season.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976