What happens to Man U post Ferguson?

iceowl14

I've seen a few people mention about Devils after Brodeur hangs the skates up being a scary thing, and I share this thought completely.

I've also been thinking about Manchester United who have had the same manager since the dawn of time it seems, and once again they are doing amazing and are going to win the league.

But sooner or later he will leave too...will this be the demise of Man U or is the game now so business based that it's money rather than managerial know-how that can (almost) guarantee a team success?

I haven't been following English football nearly long enough to be qualified to have an opinon of what will happen or who will replace him. I just hope that there are enough people in the organization to help guide the club forward both on and off the pitch the way Sir Alex has. I saw an article recently that mentioned that their finances are surpingsly in good shape under the Glazers so I suppose they should have the money to keep investing back into the club.

OT: I'm happy United is going to win the league but the way they choked away the FA Cup match at home vs. Chelsea and then looked bad away in the replay was pretty disappointing. Especially after the way they were knocked out of the Champions League.

It's true the Glazers are keeping the cash flowing through Man U, I just wonder if it is money that determines a clubs success or the manager. This sort of topic might even feed into other sports.

I like to think that football hasn't been ruined by money, and that the only was to be successful is to have a Sheikh or and oil-tycoon on the board.

I'd like to think it is down to good management and player development skills like Fergie, which leads me onto hoping that at some point (sorry) Man U will not be in the top 5 teams in the country.

Hopefully Sheffield Wednesday can be there instead haha. Had a Wednesday and American legend over at the weekend...remember John Harkes?

I think money can help aid and in some cases cover up for managerial miscues but I think they have to work hand in hand. I trust that Sir Alex will make sure the right people are in the right places when he leaves the club. I think the club will still be active in the transfers windows for high end talent to cover up for club weaknesses but the youth system will still remain as important as ever. I love that United has affiliated with foreign clubs like Desportivo Brasil and Royal Antwerp F.C. to name a few, to help inject talent into the system. While scouting and developing locals like Danny Welbeck (thanks for rejecting him as a youth City!).

Still the idea of United without Sir Alex is a bit worrisome no matter how confident I am in the club going forward.

I had to look up John Harkes since he was a bit before my time. Didn't realize he was from nearby Kearny, NJ. Hopefully your club can make it to the PL one day. I see your in a tough battle towards the relegation zone of the Championship.

That's true, United's youth system is incredible and some fantastic players have come from it, especially the foreign connections. That should keep a good level of players coming into the club. I can't imagine Man U without Fergie, Giggs or Scholes, and worryingly it won't be too long before that happens.

Other clubs in the premiership seem to be in the same sort of boat though. Arsenal have been incredibly successful with Arsene Wenger as manager, Everton have been stable with David Moyes. Then there are clubs like Man City and Chelsea who have been bought and have all the money in the world to play with. Just wonder what will happen to these clubs when they're no longer there, just like when Marty/Elias/Lou are no longer a part of the Devils.

Since the heyday of the era when John Harkes was here, Wednesday have had both financial and managerial problems. 13 years since last being in the Premiership! Hopefully we will stay in the Championship this season then push on.

I have to say I am impressed with the way Giggs has performed this year. I was ready to write him off but ever since he started to play out wide more, he's been one of their better wingers this year. It's a shame Scholes has been battling injury after a slow start to the year for him. He was fantastic when he came back last year.

I'm a bit nervous about Jose Mourinho returning to Chelsea. I think that'd be great for the club. I don't know how restrictive Arsenal has been towards Arsene Wenger in terms of signing players but I don't think it would be a bad idea for them to part ways. A fresh start is most likely in the best interest of everyone there....at least in my opinion.

Wenger has run his time with Arsenal...they're just not what they were a few years ago. Looking like Tottenham Hotspur will be the one to watch the next few seasons, especially with Gareth Bale on the pitch.

Giggs is probably the greatest premiership player ever...his longevity, skill and knowledge of the game is incredible. I've got so much respect for him as a player, just a shame he chose to play for Wales when he could have played for England!! haha

How much of a following does the English game have where you are? Are there sports bars open early in the morning for live football matches or anything?

Ferguson will stay on as an advisor/ executive and David Moyes will be appointed manager. after a few years Fergie will finally retire after passing on his knowledge to Moyes, leaving the club in safe hands.

As for money being the key to sucsess in football, its always been the case, the only change is the source of the money in football these days. United had a financial advantage over the rest of the premirship for years as did liverpool back in the 70's and 80's.  

Also i dont think united choked against Chelsea in the FA cup, Chelsea started off very slow and paid the price, but they did more than enough over the rest of the match to justify winning that game outright. If it wasnt for De Gea's left foot they would have lost 3-2.

Wenger has run his time with Arsenal...they're just not what they were a few years ago. Looking like Tottenham Hotspur will be the one to watch the next few seasons, especially with Gareth Bale on the pitch.

Giggs is probably the greatest premiership player ever...his longevity, skill and knowledge of the game is incredible. I've got so much respect for him as a player, just a shame he chose to play for Wales when he could have played for England!! haha

How much of a following does the English game have where you are? Are there sports bars open early in the morning for live football matches or anything?

Gareth Bale is an amazing talent. I've been able to see him play in Europa League this year and he's really impressed.

I rarely go out to bars but living close to NYC I bet there are a fair amount of bars that broadcast the EPL and European tournaments. I believe FoxSoccer (which broadcast a lot of EPL here) sponsored a Manchester United viewing party earlier this year in NYC. There is definately interest in the English game here and I believe when NBC takes over the television rights the coverage will increase and should help the popularity of the game.

I live by a few Spanish speaking bars that I know broadcast Mexican and Central American leagues with a decent following. I remember during the last World Cup all the Spanish garages I delivered to as an auto parts driver would shut down when their respective countries were playing.

Ferguson will stay on as an advisor/ executive and David Moyes will be appointed manager. after a few years Fergie will finally retire after passing on his knowledge to Moyes, leaving the club in safe hands.

As for money being the key to sucsess in football, its always been the case, the only change is the source of the money in football these days. United had a financial advantage over the rest of the premirship for years as did liverpool back in the 70's and 80's.  

Also i dont think united choked against Chelsea in the FA cup, Chelsea started off very slow and paid the price, but they did more than enough over the rest of the match to justify winning that game outright. If it wasnt for De Gea's left foot they would have lost 3-2.

I should probably clarify that when I say choke I don't mean de Gea - he's been exceptional this season. I'm just not happy that they went up 2-0 at home and were completely flat in the 2nd half. Chelsea completely controlled the game and it seemed like de Gea was the only player who was effective in that 2nd half. United has to be better than that at home.

Gareth Bale is an amazing talent. I've been able to see him play in Europa League this year and he's really impressed.

I rarely go out to bars but living close to NYC I bet there are a fair amount of bars that broadcast the EPL and European tournaments. I believe FoxSoccer (which broadcast a lot of EPL here) sponsored a Manchester United viewing party earlier this year in NYC. There is definately interest in the English game here and I believe when NBC takes over the television rights the coverage will increase and should help the popularity of the game.

I live by a few Spanish speaking bars that I know broadcast Mexican and Central American leagues with a decent following. I remember during the last World Cup all the Spanish garages I delivered to as an auto parts driver would shut down when their respective countries were playing.

I should probably clarify that when I say choke I don't mean de Gea - he's been exceptional this season. I'm just not happy that they went up 2-0 at home and were completely flat in the 2nd half. Chelsea completely controlled the game and it seemed like de Gea was the only player who was effective in that 2nd half. United has to be better than that at home.

Oh i know, when i highligted De Gea's contributuion i was pointing out he actually kept united in the game because they were being outplayed, not that it was his fault they let in two,  what i was saying was Chelsea deserve credit for stopping united in the second half.  

Chelsea played amazingly well outside the first fifteen minutes. They held onto the ball and didnt give United a chance. Its not like United got sloppy and gave away some terrible goals, that would be choking, Chelsea actually stopped united doing what they do , and hence made united look flat.

In the game at The Bridge though i deffinatly agree they looked totally flat.

• 5 weeks later...

I was up in the middle of the night and saw this news breaking. Knew it was coming eventually but it still feels a bit surreal. I have faith in the club to choose a solid successor. Can't say enough great things about Sir Alex....legend!

The rumors were he would have retired last season if City hadn't of won the title. It makes a lot of sense to go now. Moyes is at the end of his everton contract, so no disruption there, Moyes will be under a lot less pressure considering United are only a season removed from winning a title.

Also furguson will be all over the club for the next 3 years i would imagine.

Other interesting fallout is the fact Rooney may have handed in a transfer request, and that CR7 might be on his way back to Old Trafford, although i find that hard to believe.   

Was thinking about this thread yesterday haha. Fergie is a legend in the English game so full respect to him, I'm sure he'll take a back room role at the club.

As for David Moyes...always liked him. Kept Everton a competitive club without big money compared with other teams in the premiership and I'm sure he'll be a good replacement. Moyes will try his hardest to keep Rooney but I don't think it will happen.

Last games of the premiership being played soon, always an exciting time. Wednesday's last game was last week which we needed to win to stay in the Championship...smashed it 2-0 haha.

Some middle of the night (morning for you guys) babbling from me....

I am very happy with the selection of David Moyes. I was looking forward to him or Mourinho (whom I'm an admirer of) but the more I learn about Moyes, the more I think it was the best choice. Moyes' 4-4-1-1 system, attacking down the sides, seems perfect for United and not that much different than how they traditionally play (not necessarily this year). I love what I've read regarding the preparation he puts in and he seems to have a lot of the same qualities that Sir Alex embodied. Having Sir Alex around the club should also help ease this transition.

I admire how long Moyes stayed at Everton and the results he had with a limited budget. I think it says a lot that he and United agreed to a 6 year deal which shows that he is their man and he will have time to mold the squad as he sees fit. I'm excited about him working with a lot of spending money now. Most importantly, I think the stability he brings is going to be crucial.

Sir Bobby Charlton had a fantastic quote:

"In David Moyes, we have someone who understands the things that make this such a special club. We have secured a man who is committed to the long-term and will build teams for the future as well as now. Stability breeds success. ... I am delighted he has accepted and I'm looking forward to working with him."

uA3dz6B.png

Regarding players coming and going...

It looks like Paul Scholes is going to retire again. He's one of my favorites and was incredible last season during the 2nd half after he came back. It's a shame he was injured for most of this year but man, what a great career! One of my favorites to watch...I would've loved to observe the way he moves on the pitch in person and controls play.

It was really and up and down year for Wayne Rooney. My gut feeling is that he is going to be sold but I have no idea where. That was before Moyes came in and I still feel the same way. One of my favorites and I am grateful for what he's done for the club but perhaps parting ways could work for both parties. He gets to move onto a new challenge and the club gains some nice compensation. Regardless of what happens, I'll cheer for him (unless he is playing vs. United).

I expect a ton of CR7 rumors to circulate but I'd be shocked if he ended back at Old Trafford. I do wonder if Moyes will try to bring in any of his Everton players? I've seen some analyst suggest he will try to bring Fellaini and/or Baines with him. No doubt that Baines is a great player and I'd love to have him but I don't see where he would fit. Evra had his best season in a while this past year and will be a key veteran to help the team transition. From what I've read and the little I saw, Fabio had a nice year out on loan to QPR and should get some time at left back for United next year. I hope he can turn into the player his twin brother has. Buttner is also good for those low priority games. Perhaps more importantly, I can't see Everton selling Baines. Fellaini is real intriguing and only has a £23M release clause. He'd be the perfect partner for Carrick and really help the United attack. I could very well see him following Moyes to United.

Does the coach in soccer matter all that much?  Or is it kind of like the Yankees where so long as you have a manager that kind of know's what he's doing, the team will win?

Depends how much money was put into the team I guess. If you have a team of world class players it makes it easier for a coach tactically but they need good man-management skills. A team with not much money obviously struggle to get amazing players so need a tactically incredible coach for the team to progress or at least be stable. As previously said in this thread, Everton have operated on a low budget for years but Moyes is a very good tactician and has managed to keep them a solid premiership side. Now he's leaving, we may see them slipping down the league a bit depending on who they bring in as a coach.

Regarding players coming and going...

It looks like Paul Scholes is going to retire again. He's one of my favorites and was incredible last season during the 2nd half after he came back. It's a shame he was injured for most of this year but man, what a great career! One of my favorites to watch...I would've loved to observe the way he moves on the pitch in person and controls play.

It was really and up and down year for Wayne Rooney. My gut feeling is that he is going to be sold but I have no idea where. That was before Moyes came in and I still feel the same way. One of my favorites and I am grateful for what he's done for the club but perhaps parting ways could work for both parties. He gets to move onto a new challenge and the club gains some nice compensation. Regardless of what happens, I'll cheer for him (unless he is playing vs. United).

I expect a ton of CR7 rumors to circulate but I'd be shocked if he ended back at Old Trafford. I do wonder if Moyes will try to bring in any of his Everton players? I've seen some analyst suggest he will try to bring Fellaini and/or Baines with him. No doubt that Baines is a great player and I'd love to have him but I don't see where he would fit. Evra had his best season in a while this past year and will be a key veteran to help the team transition. From what I've read and the little I saw, Fabio had a nice year out on loan to QPR and should get some time at left back for United next year. I hope he can turn into the player his twin brother has. Buttner is also good for those low priority games. Perhaps more importantly, I can't see Everton selling Baines. Fellaini is real intriguing and only has a £23M release clause. He'd be the perfect partner for Carrick and really help the United attack. I could very well see him following Moyes to United.

Baines would be Uniteds starting Left Back instantly he is already well ahead of Evra, and his set peice abillity just adds and even greater dimension to his game. Fabio couldnt even hold down a position for QPR this year,  and they have been apalling all season long, Buttner needs another season , because he is still good for a couple of mistakes a game. Not sure Fellaini would have a place in Uniteds squad, they hardly ever resort to the long ball and use a target man, which is the game Fellaini thrives off of.  His is not disciplined enough to sit as a CDM and he is not refined enough to play as a playmaker. If United were going to use him anywhere it would be sat just behind Van Persie or Hernandez.

If Rooney goes i would imagine Uniteds attention will turn to replacing him, and Fellaini would be much less of a need. If Moyes were to bring anyone from everton as a United fan i would want it to be Ross Barkley (IceOwl will be able to tell you a bit about him after this season ;) ) he is going to be a fantastic player.

Does the coach in soccer matter all that much?  Or is it kind of like the Yankees where so long as you have a manager that kind of know's what he's doing, the team will win?

A good manager is vital, man management skills are even more important than ever in modern football due to their rediculous lifestyles. Its probably the most important aspect of a lot of clubs, but latley the position has been treated with a fair amount of contempt by owners.

Depends how much money was put into the team I guess. If you have a team of world class players it makes it easier for a coach tactically but they need good man-management skills. A team with not much money obviously struggle to get amazing players so need a tactically incredible coach for the team to progress or at least be stable. As previously said in this thread, Everton have operated on a low budget for years but Moyes is a very good tactician and has managed to keep them a solid premiership side. Now he's leaving, we may see them slipping down the league a bit depending on who they bring in as a coach.

Agreed, its a real shame Moyes has left, another good season and they would be pushing Spurs and Arsenal for Fourth. 

Baines would be Uniteds starting Left Back instantly he is already well ahead of Evra, and his set peice abillity just adds and even greater dimension to his game. Fabio couldnt even hold down a position for QPR this year,  and they have been apalling all season long, Buttner needs another season , because he is still good for a couple of mistakes a game. Not sure Fellaini would have a place in Uniteds squad, they hardly ever resort to the long ball and use a target man, which is the game Fellaini thrives off of.  His is not disciplined enough to sit as a CDM and he is not refined enough to play as a playmaker. If United were going to use him anywhere it would be sat just behind Van Persie or Hernandez.

If Rooney goes i would imagine Uniteds attention will turn to replacing him, and Fellaini would be much less of a need. If Moyes were to bring anyone from everton as a United fan i would want it to be Ross Barkley (IceOwl will be able to tell you a bit about him after this season ;) ) he is going to be a fantastic player.

Sometimes I think meaning get lost in text....I'm certainly not even debating or implying that Evra or anyone at United is better than Baines. Of course Baines would be the starting LB - what I'm saying is I don't see them spending their money to upgrade LB when they have other more obvious needs and depth at that position.

Evra was fine this season and is a leader, Buttner will never amount to anything special but he's fine for those unimportant games when things get congested, Fabio was injured early on and for a decent amount of time at QPR which didn't help his case but he was impessive more often than not from what I gathered from QPR supporters online and watching a few of their games that made tv here. Have to think that Fabio isn't that far behind breaking out like Rafael did this year.

United has ton of depth along the back line. I think midfield is much more of a concern. Carrick is incredible but how much longer can they keep leaning on him so heavily? How much are they going to use Jones is a midfield role? Cleverley is a promising young player but still developing. Scholes is gone, Giggs isn't really an option in the center anymore, and Anderson is rumored to want out. Rooney never seemed comfortable playing midfield the few times they tried him this year.

With Moyes coming in, I think United could modify their approach somewhat and use Fellaini as a target man. Carrick is fantastic at distrubuting the ball from the back and is sound positionally. I think him and Fellaini could make quite the duo in the center of the pitch and complement each other well. I'd like to see that move because it improves them tactically and adds much needed depth.

Rooney departing certainly creates a hole up front but I don't think it's as big as the one in the middle. They are still fortunate to have van Persie, Chicharito, Kagawa, and Welbeck. Not trying to come across cocky but I feel confident in that group. If I had to pick 1 spot on this team to bring in a marquee player it would defintely be midfield and Fellaini would be my #1 choice.

Ross Barkley is one for the future no doubt; great addition for The Wednesday earlier in the season and for several matches the only one with his head screwed on. Would learn a lot about his game if he went to Man U, learning from the likes of Carrick, Giggs (and Scholes if he hangs about).

With recent events happening just this week, Everton should be chomping at the bit to get Mancini as their next manager.

Sometimes I think meaning get lost in text....I'm certainly not even debating or implying that Evra or anyone at United is better than Baines. Of course Baines would be the starting LB - what I'm saying is I don't see them spending their money to upgrade LB when they have other more obvious needs and depth at that position.

Evra was fine this season and is a leader, Buttner will never amount to anything special but he's fine for those unimportant games when things get congested, Fabio was injured early on and for a decent amount of time at QPR which didn't help his case but he was impessive more often than not from what I gathered from QPR supporters online and watching a few of their games that made tv here. Have to think that Fabio isn't that far behind breaking out like Rafael did this year.

United has ton of depth along the back line. I think midfield is much more of a concern. Carrick is incredible but how much longer can they keep leaning on him so heavily? How much are they going to use Jones is a midfield role? Cleverley is a promising young player but still developing. Scholes is gone, Giggs isn't really an option in the center anymore, and Anderson is rumored to want out. Rooney never seemed comfortable playing midfield the few times they tried him this year.

With Moyes coming in, I think United could modify their approach somewhat and use Fellaini as a target man. Carrick is fantastic at distrubuting the ball from the back and is sound positionally. I think him and Fellaini could make quite the duo in the center of the pitch and complement each other well. I'd like to see that move because it improves them tactically and adds much needed depth.

Rooney departing certainly creates a hole up front but I don't think it's as big as the one in the middle. They are still fortunate to have van Persie, Chicharito, Kagawa, and Welbeck. Not trying to come across cocky but I feel confident in that group. If I had to pick 1 spot on this team to bring in a marquee player it would defintely be midfield and Fellaini would be my #1 choice.

Ah i see , sorry , i get it now, thats a fair enough point, although i think relying on Evra next year will be a push, Although he has been good this season,he really lost a step pace wise this year, and considering the way that United like to use width i would say they really could use Baines. Fabio in my oppinion just cant defend that well, he is well above average going forward, but he like Buttner, he is good for at least one mistake a game. Maybe if they do bring him back for the season they can put him on the wing. Valencia had a horrible season, Nani is more than likely off, if he can get a few starts there i think he could be effective. He will be competing with Zaha, but Wilf is going to need a whole season to adjust, becuase he has been horrilby incosisten for Palace this year.

As for midfeild for United, i think you will see a lot more of Nick Powell this year, he is a fantastic footballer. I just cant see Fellaini bringing anything to United. I dont think there will be such a transitional shift in Uniteds game, if they start playing long balls like Stoke you make the majority of the rest of the team ineffective. A much more sensible option would be trying to sign Nicolas Gaitan, much more of a United style player. To get the best out of him he wont play in the midle with Carrick, he will sit behind Van Persie, which means you are going to have to sit one of Rooney, Kagawa, Wlebeck or Hernandez.

I think Rooney stays, i dont thik there is much of a market for him really.

Ross Barkley is one for the future no doubt; great addition for The Wednesday earlier in the season and for several matches the only one with his head screwed on. Would learn a lot about his game if he went to Man U, learning from the likes of Carrick, Giggs (and Scholes if he hangs about).

With recent events happening just this week, Everton should be chomping at the bit to get Mancini as their next manager.

Nice idea about Mancini, although i think he would be a bit exposed without a colossal budget at his disposal.

Ah i see , sorry , i get it now, thats a fair enough point, although i think relying on Evra next year will be a push, Although he has been good this season,he really lost a step pace wise this year, and considering the way that United like to use width i would say they really could use Baines. Fabio in my oppinion just cant defend that well, he is well above average going forward, but he like Buttner, he is good for at least one mistake a game. Maybe if they do bring him back for the season they can put him on the wing. Valencia had a horrible season, Nani is more than likely off, if he can get a few starts there i think he could be effective. He will be competing with Zaha, but Wilf is going to need a whole season to adjust, becuase he has been horrilby incosisten for Palace this year.

As for midfeild for United, i think you will see a lot more of Nick Powell this year, he is a fantastic footballer. I just cant see Fellaini bringing anything to United. I dont think there will be such a transitional shift in Uniteds game, if they start playing long balls like Stoke you make the majority of the rest of the team ineffective. A much more sensible option would be trying to sign Nicolas Gaitan, much more of a United style player. To get the best out of him he wont play in the midle with Carrick, he will sit behind Van Persie, which means you are going to have to sit one of Rooney, Kagawa, Wlebeck or Hernandez.

Nice idea about Mancini, although i think he would be a bit exposed without a colossal budget at his disposal.

Zaha won't make his mark next season. Seemed a bit of a pointless signing for United. I reckon he'll be loaned out again. I also think Fellaini would be pointless signing, can't see him making any sort of impression in the side.

You could be right about Mancini at Everton. I don't know who will be favourite for the job though...maybe Steve McClaren?

I haven't seen much of Powell but I've read a lot of praise for him. It'd be great to see him make a mark next year. I really don't know much about Nicolas Gaitan but I'll be sure to check youtube and google to learn a bit about him. Seems like he could be a solid option if Rooney ends up moving. I know some people hate using Kagawa on the left wing like MU did at times this year and Japan does but I think part of his value comes from being able to switch from behind RvP to that wide role and play both roles well.

Seems like Rooney's only potential suitor would be PSG if the reports/rumors of them willing to match his wages are accurate. No idea if he's open to going there though. Will be interesting to see what happens but I agree that he is likely to stay.

Zaha won't make his mark next season. Seemed a bit of a pointless signing for United. I reckon he'll be loaned out again. I also think Fellaini would be pointless signing, can't see him making any sort of impression in the side.

You could be right about Mancini at Everton. I don't know who will be favourite for the job though...maybe Steve McClaren?

Depending on the state of the wingers, I think Zaha could have a shot to contribute next year - even if he just gets limited action in something like League Cup matches and a few PL when the fixture list gets congested and then goes out on loan mid-year. Nani, Valencia, and Young all had down years and I wouldn't be shocked if Nani leaves this summer. I'm a huge fan of Valencia's and wonder how much injuries affected him last year. Never been much of a fan of Young.

OT: Ready for the Champions League Final on Saturday?

OT2: Did I tell you how much I hate my beloved Yankees are business partners with Manchester City now?

He'll definitely be out on loan, I hope Wednesday don't get him though haha.

Champions League final will be a good game. Some crazy plays during the semi-finals! Hard to call a winner at the moment!

That must suck to have a love/hate thing going there. Will you be boycotting the yankees in the meantime? Or singing some Man U songs when you attend? haha