BEER

TrentonDevils

anyone know of a good pumpkin beer to try for the fall? i know theres that shipyard or whatever it is anyone ever try it?

I think I posted it here before but I had Shipyard on tap and it was great.  Found it in the store in a 6-pack, took it home and it was awful.  Had about 1-2 and threw the rest of the 6-pack out.  Had my friend say the same thing and he got his at a different store.

For me I think the best pumpkin beer is Triumph in Princeton.  Their New Hope location makes it too, but I think the Princeton brewer makes it a little better.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone had anything from Hoppin' Frog in Akron? I ordered a case of Frog's Hollow Double Pumpkin and I'm having a bottle now. One of the best pumpkins I've ever had. Idk what exactly double pumpkin means but it is very spicy and balances well with the hop and malts. I have the opportunity to order their D.O.R.I.S. the Destroyer and Boris the Crusher, but it's not really stout season yet and Idk if it's worth taking up the shelf space with it.

Epic just got out to Austin and I agree, thier Pumpkin Porter is great. They also do a Peach Belgian style beer which is outstanding. If you like Pumking (who doesn't. It tastes like pumpkin pie, not pumpkins), their new Warlock is even better. It's a porter style with the Pumpking spices and the roasted quality works much better than the regular Pumpking.

I think I posted it here before but I had Shipyard on tap and it was great. Found it in the store in a 6-pack, took it home and it was awful. Had about 1-2 and threw the rest of the 6-pack out. Had my friend say the same thing and he got his at a different store.

For me I think the best pumpkin beer is Triumph in Princeton. Their New Hope location makes it too, but I think the Princeton brewer makes it a little better.

yeah I had a 6 pack of shipyard pumpkin the other day and it was bad. Honestly I really like Sam Adams pumpkin better than most that I've tried.

The other night during the rags game I poured a flying dog oyster stout and dropped in a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I'm not a huge fan of some of flying dogs stuff but that was close to heaven in a a glass.

I tried Elysian Punkuccino for the first time a few weeks back and it was one of the better pumpkin beers I've had...nice mixture of flavors with the pumpkin and the cappucino, and there was a nice cinnamon presence.  It's lower ABV (5%, I think?), but it was absolutely delicious.

The bartender (I was at Elysian Bar in Seattle when I tried it) said they'd only released it a few days earlier, so I'm assuming it hasn't made its way out east just yet (?).

I tried Elysian Punkuccino for the first time a few weeks back and it was one of the better pumpkin beers I've had...nice mixture of flavors with the pumpkin and the cappucino, and there was a nice cinnamon presence. It's lower ABV (5%, I think?), but it was absolutely delicious.

The bartender (I was at Elysian Bar in Seattle when I tried it) said they'd only released it a few days earlier, so I'm assuming it hasn't made its way out east just yet (?).

It was released on Monday here in jersey, along with greater pumpkin and dark o moon. But the distributor only received 75 cases of each.

It was released on Monday here in jersey, along with greater pumpkin and dark o moon. But the distributor only received 75 cases of each.

I think you mean The Great Pumpkin; Greater Pumpkin is made by Heavy Seas, and probably is not actually greater.  The Great Pumpkin rules, pick one up if you find it!  I snagged two bottles of it yesterday along with a bottle of Dark o' the Moon and Punkaccino.

I think you mean The Great Pumpkin; Greater Pumpkin is made by Heavy Seas, and probably is not actually greater. The Great Pumpkin rules, pick one up if you find it! I snagged two bottles of it yesterday along with a bottle of Dark o' the Moon and Punkaccino.

We were talking about elysian, obviously you know what I meant. I had it last year, it was definitely good, nothing to put it a step above the rest though. I enjoyed dark o' the moon more honestly. I carried the Hansel & Gretel also, it was atrocious. I guess elysian knew that and replaced it this year with Punkaccino.

Went to the Celtic Classic this weekend.  Not the best beer on earth but it was so nice to wander around the streets with a pint.  My husband asked for 'neeps with his haggis and the concession guy said "Awww I wish -- hey, but I have something for you.." and gave him a nice pull of Ardbeg no charge.  I wish I didn't love haggis so much.. it's offal.  HAHAHAHA!  :rofl:

SO -- Had the Saranac pumpkin beer -- cute bottle but a little thin.  Had Lancaster Shoo-Fly Stout.  Very good -- I expected something more sweet - sort of like the creme brulee but more molasses-y -- but it was really good - beerlike.

SOOO DEPRESSING - the Kentucky Bourbon ale was on tap at our local - and it was so poor --- just blah. Kentucky keeps all the best booze for themselves -- it's as simple as that.  Best Bourbon I've had has to be Very Old Barton -- a freaking gallon for $22

List of Best Pumpkin Beers

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-pumpkin-beers-dogfish-head-avery-brewing-elysian

I am only posting the above list for fun in case anyone wants to try any of these beers or has tried some and would like to comment. We all know these lists are highly subjective.

That being said, I've only had Southern Tier's Pumking and its sibling Warlock -- loved 'em both -- and Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale -- didn't like it as much as others obviously do. Full disclosure: It could be that I am not a big fan of pumpkin flavors to begin with so I need sugars added to be able to enjoy these types of beers. But I am still open to trying more.

I would like to try some of the beers on that list. ... And I would like to get my hands on a bottle of Saucony Creek Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress, which doesn't seem to be readily available in my area of North Jersey.

Edited by 95Crash

List of Best Pumpkin Beers

http://www.thrillist.com/drink/nation/the-best-pumpkin-beers-dogfish-head-avery-brewing-elysian

I am only posting the above list for fun in case anyone wants to try any of these beers or has tried some and would like to comment. We all know these lists are highly subjective.

That being said, I've only had Southern Tier's Pumking and its sibling Warlock -- loved 'em both -- and Weyerbacher's Imperial Pumpkin Ale -- didn't like it as much as others obviously do. Full disclosure: It could be that I am not a big fan of pumpkin flavors to begin with so I need sugars added to be able to enjoy these types of beers. But I am still open to trying more.

I would like to try some of the beers on that list. ... And I would like to get my hands on a bottle of Saucony Creek Captain Pumpkin's Maple Mistress, which doesn't seem to be readily available in my area of North Jersey.

Maple Mistress is good, it's on the sweet side though so drinking all 4 beers can be a task. Still a good beer though. Its a unique taste that definitely is worth a try.

I got a case in of Avery Pump(KY)n. I put it up for $13.99 (which at the time was the cheapest on beermenus.com, but some other stores have since seen that and put theirs for $12.99). We sold 11 bottles in 2 days, its unbelievable since this is the first batch that Avery has made. People go nuts for BBA beer. I had a bottle myself, its good, just a hint of pumpkin but mostly the usual oaky, charred, alcohol taste you associate with that style. As far as bourbon barrel aged beer goes Port Older Viscosity is much better.

My new favorite pumpkin for the year though is Twisted Manzanita Witch's Hair. It's a really spicy pumpkin and not so much of the same old boring, sweet, lightly spiced pumpkins that a lot of breweries put out now.

I'm going out to San Diego on Sunday and driving back across the country with my friend who is done with his 4 years in the marines. Does anyone have any suggestions of breweries to stop at or bottles to pick up along the way? I would really like to go to Ballast Point in SD. I'd like to go to Uinta also but Salt Lake City is a little too far out of the way.

[quote name="Bartholomew Hunt" post="1281629" timestamp="1412984520

I'm going out to San Diego on Sunday and driving back across the country with my friend who is done with his 4 years in the marines. Does anyone have any suggestions of breweries to stop at or bottles to pick up along the way? I would really like to go to Ballast Point in SD. I'd like to go to Uinta also but Salt Lake City is a little too far out of the way.

If you're going to be in San Diego, I suggest checking out Stone in Escondido.  It's about a half hour north on I-15.  Do you have an approximate route mapped out for the drive back?  Also, I know you aren't a fan of the user ratings/reviews on beeradvocate.com, but that website is a very good source for finding worthy beer locations when traveling.

If you're going to be in San Diego, I suggest checking out Stone in Escondido. It's about a half hour north on I-15. Do you have an approximate route mapped out for the drive back? Also, I know you aren't a fan of the user ratings/reviews on beeradvocate.com, but that website is a very good source for finding worthy beer locations when traveling.

Yeah we're going through Vegas then Utah on route 70 to Denver, staying in Colorado a couple days, then going on 80 through Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I know there's a bunch of good breweries in Colorado too.

We plan on going to Ballast, and I looked on the map, Stone is just past Ballast on the way back to Camp Pendleton. So maybe we'll stop at both. Its unbelievable how many breweries there are in that county

Yeah we're going through Vegas then Utah on route 70 to Denver, staying in Colorado a couple days, then going on 80 through Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania. I know there's a bunch of good breweries in Colorado too.

We plan on going to Ballast, and I looked on the map, Stone is just past Ballast on the way back to Camp Pendleton. So maybe we'll stop at both. Its unbelievable how many breweries there are in that county

Make sure you get to Three Floyds

• 1 month later...

Picked up dogfish beer thousand today. I liked it. Not the most easy drinking lager, but good flavor, and with an abv of 10, I wasn't really expecting an easy drinker. Didn't get one with the album in it, which is too bad, since I love GBV. If anyone knows a place in the Essex county area that has some of the 6 packs with the album, I'd love to pick one up.

Picked up dogfish beer thousand today. I liked it. Not the most easy drinking lager, but good flavor, and with an abv of 10, I wasn't really expecting an easy drinker. Didn't get one with the album in it, which is too bad, since I love GBV. If anyone knows a place in the Essex county area that has some of the 6 packs with the album, I'd love to pick one up.

I got a case of it here, the 4 pks that is. I didn't put it on the shelf yet because I don't have room at the moment. I didn't realize some of them had albums in them.

On a separate note I passed my Cicerone Certified Beer Server test last night! Now debating whether I want to take the next step and try and become a certified Cicerone.

Funny that I don't think I've ever posted in this thread since I work at a liquor store haha. All we've been getting lately is Winter/Christmas beers, it kills me since most of them are heavy and I'm not much of a fan of stouts and porters. Tis the season for me to drink pretty much only Shiner Cheer. I did however recently try Heavy Seas Winter Storm. Not bad at all. I also just got a sample bottle of Sierra Nevada's Celebration that is sitting in my fridge for me to try.

Edited by PWW

• 1 month later...

My cousin got a hold of Heady Topper, nd let me share some. Imo, it's worth the hype. While I prefer a citrusy IPA, this one just had so much going on. In a good way. I waited a couple minutes between sips, and I was tasting different flavors for at least a minute. I'm not that refined either, so there were a ton of strong flavors. If I drive up to Montreal for WWC this summer, I may stop in Vermont on the way home to stock up.