An Asset Valuation of the NJD Players

Sharifijanov2099

An asset breakdown, to ponder what possibilities, if any, we may have for trading current properties in order to improve either our defense, acquire a goalie for the future, etc. Mind you, this is not a doomsday “the season is over” thread (because I don’t believe it is). Rather, this is just a look at what we have, what we might decide to move, and how we might best manage our assets. You decide if this is a “realistic” breakdown or not (a matter of opinion).

• Kovalchuk – not tradable , ie has NMC, but more importantly, lifetime contract that only a team that has their own bad lifetime contract would consider (like the Canucks with Luongo—but unlikely to ever happen)

• Elias – 1 additional year left on 6m cap hit, fair for someone producing at his rate with his experience; not tradable for practical reasons, ie, will retire a lifelong Devil, plus the additional year at 6m will not be attractive to cup run teams

• Parise – pending UFA; is a tradable property that teams will definitely be interested in

-----I think a lot will depend on contract negotiations around the time of 1/1/12, when he can legally be extended. If talks break down, or if Zach wants 7m+, NJ has to seriously look to trade him (hopefully for a young goalie). Right now, he’s not worth 6 million. And we’re not a contender.

• Zajac – 1 additional year at 3.887m cap hit; tradable, but seriously doubt we do that given that he might be the most complete forward (offensively and defensively) on the team.

• Zubrus – 2 additional years left on a 3.4m cap hit; potentially tradable

-----Love Zubrus actually, and you can’t fault his energy. He has stone hands and won’t do much more than 40 points. I think if NJ could trade him, they would. A team like PIT might be a nice place, although an Atlantic trade might be unlikely.

• Clarkson – 2 additional years left on a 2.667m cap hit; potentially tradable

-----Clarkson is up and down and is difficult to gauge. I think at 2.667, it would be difficult to move him anywhere. Not impossible, but probably unlikely. I could see his role increasing even more, were we to unload Parise and a guy like Zubrus, but in the mix of all our forwards, he’s often lost.

• Josefson – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 900k cap hit; definitely tradable

-----I think NJ will hold onto Jacob. He’s young. He’s a center. Clearly very talented. Too bad he has been injured. Unlikely that NJ parts with him.

• Tedenby – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 875k cap hit; tradable

-----The guy is small, but has some good skills along the boards. I think if the right deal came along, NJ would take it. Not sure I can ever imagine this guy as a top flight (or top line) forward. He lacks the tree stump legs of Martin St. Louis.

• Henrique – 1 additional year left on entry deal at 850k cap hit; definitely tradable

-----His stock has never been higher than it is right now. Fingers crossed that we don’t deal him. Exactly the kind of player that other teams will want, and right now, our best young asset. Going to say it’s unlikely he gets dealt, seeing how center depth is very important in the NHL. Zajac/Henrique/Josefson should be a good combo next year.

• Palmieri – pending RFA; possibly tradable (but he’s terrible, so not likely)

• Carter – pending UFA; not tradable

• Boulton – 1 additional year at 662k cap hit; not tradable

• Sykora – pending UFA; not tradable

• Pelley – pending UFA; not tradable

• Janssen – pending UFA; not tradable

• Sestito – pending UFA; not tradable

• Volchenkov – 4 additional years left on 4.25m cap hit; not tradable due to length of contract

• Tallinder – 2 additional years left on 3.375m cap hit; not tradable due to length/amount of contract

• Greene – 3 additional years left on 3m cap hit; not tradable due to length of contract

• Salvador – pending UFA; not tradable

• Larsson – 2 additional years left on entry deal at 925k cap hit; definitely tradable (but will never happen—NJ will not trade the future of its defense)

• Fayne – pending RFA; not tradable

• Fraser – terrible, not tradable

• Brodeur – pending UFA; not tradable (just can’t see Marty deciding to go anywhere else)

• Hedberg – pending UFA; could be tradable to a contender looking for a solid backup for a run

Hence, here is what I am predicting to happen (could be in January, could be trade deadline, but at some point):

NJ trades Parise.

NJ trades Tedenby.

NJ trades Hedberg.

Hopefully we get back a Bernier, C. Schneider, or Lindback (my choice). I could see Vancouver being very interested in adding Parise/Tedenby, if they believe they have a cup run in them and can rely on Roberto. Parise & Tedenby might look good on Nashville (again—I’d like to acquire Lindback). Hedberg probably goes for a draft pick. 2nd or 3rd round (depending on the going rate this deadline).

Thus, next year’s outlook (again, all speculative cuz I’m bored), might look like this:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Henrique

Elias-Josefson-Clarkson

Stopgap-Zubrus-Palmieri

Boulton-Stopgap-Stopgap

Greene-Larsson

Tallinder-Volchenkov

Merrill-Urbom

Lindback

Wedgewood (or Brodeur on 1 year deal)

Edited by bekim

Nice breakdown and props on the time it took you to spell it all out clearly for everyone.

but....

Not to be overly critical, Are we seriously trading two talented wingers for a goalie?

Are we Colorado now?

Disagree. Losing X number of goals in one player doesn't always equate to scoring that # fewer goals as a team the next year. Guys step up, take on bigger roles. That's how it's always been here. If we give Parise 7.5 million, that will handicap us a whole lot more than trading him for a goalie and signing a guy for 1/3rd the price to put up half the points. I love Parise, don't get me wrong. But this team model as it's currently built--overspending by retaining players beyond what their actual value dictates--has to stop. None of our D (save Larsson) are worth their money. And up front, Parise isn't gonna be worth 7.5 million unless he scores 95 pts, which he wont. If he scores 65 pts, it's still a huge net loss for our team in terms of where we could have used that money elsewhere. Any way, I do not believe we'll be dead last in scoring if we lose Zach/Teddy. I think we'll be about the same.

I definitely agree with Parise and Tedenby being the most tradeable, but Hedberg won't be traded. He purposely came here to get a NTC because he doesn't want to be moved. He's big on family, and I can't see him agreeing to a move.

Also, Wedgewood is definitely years out from the NHL. I like his potential, he can handle a large workload, and he's quick as hell, but he is a ways off. Kinkaid, Frazee, and Clermont all have at least a little minor league experience.

I also don't see Merril jumping right to the NHL. He needs time in the minors assuming he gets his head straightened out.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

I definitely agree with Parise and Tedenby being the most tradeable, but Hedberg won't be traded. He purposely came here to get a NTC because he doesn't want to be moved. He's big on family, and I can't see him agreeing to a move.

Also, Wedgewood is definitely years out from the NHL. I like his potential, he can handle a large workload, and he's quick as hell, but he is a ways off. Kinkaid, Frazee, and Clermont all have at least a little minor league experience.

Fair points.

It's been said before, but Parise for Weber.

Both on 1 yr deals, both looking at around a 7-7.5m cap hit, solves everyone's problems

Big difference - Parise is a UFA after this year, Weber is an RFA (as long as Nashville qualifies him at his current salary).

No way Nashville gives up the rights to another year of Weber for a rental player.

Big difference - Parise is a UFA after this year, Weber is an RFA (as long as Nashville qualifies him at his current salary).

No way Nashville gives up the rights to another year of Weber for a rental player.

Yeah, I think we need to be realistic about what a pending UFA would fetch. Weber, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I don't think it would ever happen. I'd so Parise for Schenn in a heartbeat too, but I don't think that would happen either. So Lindback is my plan.

Yeah, I think we need to be realistic about what a pending UFA would fetch. Weber, I'd do that in a heartbeat, but I don't think it would ever happen. I'd so Parise for Schenn in a heartbeat too, but I don't think that would happen either. So Lindback is my plan.

Bringing in a d-man like that also opens up trades on defense. I can't see Urbom, Merril, and Burlon ALL making the Devils in the next 2 years, especially with Taormina and Corrente playing well this year.

Ah, well there's a problem. I thought Weber was also UFA after this year

Yeah the Devils would probably have to add significantly for that one, gah

what kind of assets can you bring back assuming tedenby hedburg parise are the ones your looking at

i would focus on bring RW scoring into the lineup be trading some of our d prospects

maybe urbom and a 2nd rd draft pick for X

problem is who is that X...i could plug in some names but who really know whos interested in what ext