NSFW: Cam Janssen interview

Mayday

I don't think anyone here has shown they are offended. I did acknowledge that in today's world it's a pretty dumb thing to say for any athlete, especially with the media trying to spin anything. Regardless, if you were a gay hockey player having to live with this kind of stuff, maybe you handle this differently. But it's also a pretty dumb thing for any Devils athlete to do an interview like this when Lou Lamoriello is your boss and controls if you make 700K and live a good life in the NHL or make 150K and tough it out in the minors.

If you do read the Puckdaddy comments, not many are pissed at him for the cock-sucking comment, but rather how much of an idiot he comes off as. Many here might think that if this wasn't a Devil being interviewed.

Edit: I do want to say one thing though: this comment shouldn't be taken lightly joke or not. Even if this is a joke, Cam is probably one example of hundreds and hundreds of professional hockey players. And if they are all making comments like this, joke or not (probably joking around), it's still a pretty damn problem and the reason the You Can Play Project exists.

Are you serious? They were a bunch of guys sitting around shooting the sh!t. You're gonna tell me you've never made a comment along those lines, or even worse? He didn't bash gays, he didn't say because the guy is gay he was gonna beat the sh!t out of him. He was asked a question about if he heard someone was sucking cock what would happen, DURING a conversation about fighting, he said he'd beat the sh!t out of him. What's the issue here?

The problem is all the people who are overreacting to something that is a non-issue. I don't care if he's a public figure or a paid athlete or whatever. He's just another guy chilling with his friends and shooting the sh!t. Get the fvck over yourselves.

Are you serious? They were a bunch of guys sitting around shooting the sh!t. You're gonna tell me you've never made a comment along those lines, or even worse? He didn't bash gays, he didn't say because the guy is gay he was gonna beat the sh!t out of him. He was asked a question about if he heard someone was sucking cock what would happen, DURING a conversation about fighting, he said he'd beat the sh!t out of him. What's the issue here?

The problem is all the people who are overreacting to something that is a non-issue. I don't care if he's a public figure or a paid athlete or whatever. He's just another guy chilling with his friends and shooting the sh!t. Get the fvck over yourselves.

He's not chilling with his friends and shooting the sh!t. If he were, we wouldn't've heard it or about it. He's on a radio show available to anyone with an Internet connection.

He's not chilling with his friends and shooting the sh!t. If he were, we wouldn't've heard it or about it. He's on a radio show available to anyone with an Internet connection.

He also didn't gay bash. He wasn't talking about hating people for anything. He was talking about trash talking on the ice and playing the game the way it is on the ice. Is he fvcked? Yes he is but its because of the media and the pc crap filter everyone has to live by.

He played for the Blues for 4 years and grew up there, you don't think he could possibly know/been on that show multiple times already? Just cause we haven't seen other interviews doesn't mean he hasn't been on that show a bunch of times. Everyone needs to stop being so naive and overreactionary.

He also didn't gay bash. He wasn't talking about hating people for anything. He was talking about trash talking on the ice and playing the game the way it is on the ice. Is he fvcked? Yes he is but its because of the media and the pc crap filter everyone has to live by.

THANK YOU! Also, I don't think he's fvcked at all.

He played for the Blues for 4 years and grew up there, you don't think he could possibly know/been on that show multiple times already? Just cause we haven't seen other interviews doesn't mean he hasn't been on that show a bunch of times. Everyone needs to stop being so naive and overreactionary.

I bet he has done other interviews with that show - that isn't the point. If you say something to your friends, it stays with your friends. If you say something on an Internet radio show in today's world, it can be heard by anybody. That's why it's not 'shooting the sh!t' - it's also not tea time in a Jane Austen novel, either, which is why I think in general this is a non-story. The anti-gay comments are whatever, par for the course, disappointing, but not unexpected. Everything else is what it is.

Have I said that stuff. Yes. But there is a huge difference as Tri pointed out. Anyway lets recap the event. I don't think anything has been written on any major news sites but a ton of blogs are all over it. Lets recap the response:

Cam Janssen Makes Gay Joke, Calls Kings 'Fat Broads You Regret Bangin''

But man, talk about crossing the line. At least it's a real look into the mind of Cam Janssen -- and, unfortunately, likely the minds of many other players in the NHL -- but sometimes it's best if this stuff just stays out of public view.

You have to imagine that Patrick Burke, the founder of the You Can Play Project, will be furious with the outward homophobia here. You have to imagine that the New Jersey Devils -- the team that just signed Janssen to another one-year contract -- will be furious as well. And the NHL? Well, given the ongoing crackdown when it comes to player safety, a player talking openly about injuring other players may not go over so well.

And as for the repuation of Cam Janssen? Well, this will make him much more popular with some ... but with most, he's now a villain.

One Possible Line Reading That Doesn’t Make Cam Janssen Sound Like A Homophobe

People are angry, and they ought to be, but it's assumed that Janssen is saying he would taunt or fight or fvck with a player just because they're gay. But what if—just what if, man—he's speaking from a broader, third-person perspective, and pointing out, completely objectively, that in 2012's NHL a gay player would probably and unfairly be given a hard time? He'd better say he is, because if that's not the way he meant it, he's a wannabe gay basher or at least a guy not smart enough not to make jokes about being one.

Cam Janssen gives stupid, homophobic, sexist podcast interview

"You wanna be scary. You wanna put the fear of f------ God in people's eyes. And not just 'Oh I'm gonna beat you up.' No. I'm gonna catch you with your f------ head down and hurt you, because you're not gonna know I'm coming," Janssen said.

Tomas Kaberle and Matt Bradley are among the players Janssen has hurt. They didn't see him coming because they'd gotten rid of the puck for several seconds before he hit them. That's illegal. Janssen's comments on that end are close to being as tone-deaf and misguided as his ideas on trash-talking, considering that the NHL has cracked down on illegal hits in the wake of a concussion problem that has bordered on epidemic. Keeping physical play in hockey while cutting back on injurious hits remains a topic of debate. It's fair to say, though, that deliberately trying to injure opponents shouldn't be part of the game.

And on twitter:

ryan lambert ‏@twolinepass

for the record, there's a big difference between being a piece of garbage on the ice and off it. cam janssen is one of the few who are both.

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP

We'll be trying to reach out to Cam and the Devils over the next couple days to get a chance to educate Cam on what we do.

Final thought: If players weren't using this language, we wouldn't have launched. Changing the culture is a slow process- requires patience.

Justin ‏@jtbourne

Steering clear of Janssen talk for today (someone else is on it for tomorrow a.m.), but a quick note: Cam Janssen is a hockey dressing room.

I could go on and on with your average twitterer or blog comment writer who is absolutely killing him. Anyway, Cam is good friends with Andy Strickland. He tweeted that Cam will be joining him tomorrow on the radio on 590 The Fan St Louis at 10:30 AM. Should be interesting.

Holy hell this got blown out of porportion quickly. More pc bullsh!t to hear now.

Now for arguments sake, I'm sure there are a few over religious nhl players who would refuse to be a part of that you can play pc bullsh!t project. The nhl can't force any of these guys to be a part of this program.

Btw for the record I'm pro do whatever/marry whatever the hell you want

Holy hell this got blown out of porportion quickly. More pc bullsh!t to hear now.

Now for arguments sake, I'm sure there are a few over religious nhl players who would refuse to be a part of that you can play pc bullsh!t project. The nhl can't force any of these guys to be a part of this program.

Btw for the record I'm pro do whatever/marry whatever the hell you want

I understand some level of frustration, but we all agree Janssen is talking like he is shooting the sh!t with the guys. And say the way Janssen is talking is like your average young NHL player, and shooting the sh!t with the guys for NHL players is with each other in the locker rooms, hotels and planes. Isn't this a problem for a sport that is trying to make it more accommodating for gay NHL players?

Edited by devilsrule33

I understand some level of frustration, but we all agree Janssen is talking like he is shooting the sh!t with the guys. And say the way Janssen is talking is like your average young NHL player, and shooting the sh!t with the guys for NHL players is with each other in the locker rooms, hotels and planes. Isn't this a problem for a sport that is trying to make it more accommodating for gay NHL players? Isn't this a problem in a sport that should be accommodating for gay players?

I really don't know how much of a problem it really is. For some people they believe being gay is a sin. I'm sure there are nhl players who feel that way as well. There's a lot of layers of issues for this kind of stuff. I'm sure there are some gay nhl players who have kept it secret but why the hell would they even want to come out at this point. They would have so much attention paid to them by people who don't even care for the sport of hockey it would be insane. So is this stuff really a problem? Who knows but I would expect nhl players not to really give a sh!t about what others say.

I really could care less about this whole nonsense and I'm glad this forum and tsn are the only real news outlets where I read about hockey. Because I have no interest in hearing the pc moral police rant about this waste of time. I've wasted enough of my own time on it.

I am also on the side of anger. Angry at how this is considered homophobic. Maybe he meant that a cock sucker would definitely get his ass kicked because in his experience he has kicked the ass of 100% of the cocksuckers he has fought. Statistics can't make you a monger! Or because he was too busy sucking cock at the time!

Patrick Burke ‏@BurkieYCP

We'll be trying to reach out to Cam and the Devils over the next couple days to get a chance to educate Cam on what we do.

Final thought: If players weren't using this language, we wouldn't have launched. Changing the culture is a slow process- requires patience.

Yep it will be a slow and incredibly long process. Tons of hockey players and pro athletes and regular members of society talk this way and act this way.

Blown way out of proportion, like many of you are saying. Interviews like this make their way to like 100 people that download it. And once you start making it a big deal, that number of interest turns into like 30,000 people who want to know wtf Cam Janssen said..

Blown way out of proportion, like many of you are saying. Interviews like this make their way to like 100 people that download it. And once you start making it a big deal, that number of interest turns into like 30,000 people who want to know wtf Cam Janssen said..

and most likely "Who is Cam Janssen?"

http://devils.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=637851

Statement from Cam Janssen. Sickening he even had to make a statement. Awful, the PC society that we live in now. This comment was taken completely out of context. As someone that is actually for gay rights I could even tell that Cam was talking about players on the ice...not homosexuals.

Disgusting.

Edited by TheMazz