97 replies to this topic

#81 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:00 AM

And of course, talks with the refs broke down again. You wonder now what it's going to take, a couple of these guys pulling a Tim Donaghy?

I don't understand why the NFL needs to destroy itself to enact changes, things have been status quo with the refs for a hundred years while football has become a $10 billion industry.

Edited by NJDevs4978, 26 September 2012 - 11:02 AM.

"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

The New Jersey Devils win Stanley Cups everywhere:
-NHL record for most road wins in the playoffs - 10-1 in '95 and 10-2 in '00
-NHL record for most home wins in the playoffs - 12-1 in '03

#82 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:12 AM

I really thought this would be the tipping point for the league to give in. I guess I underestimated their stupidity. Really sad.

Edited by nmigliore, 26 September 2012 - 11:12 AM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#83 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:14 AM

Apparently now they're close to a deal per Mortensen...thank goodness the earlier report was wrong.
"The Devils have high standards, that's the difference. We have a standard to live up to every year, and a couple of teams in our area don't have the standards we do." - Pat Burns

#84 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:12 PM

Just read on drudge they've agreed to a deal in principle
^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph
Posted Image Posted Image

#85 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

And now the refs union says they're not close at all. Wouldn't shock me if putting out the word they were close was another NFL pr gambit to make the refs look bad when no deal happened :rant:

#86 Beezer34

Beezer34

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,946 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8428027

Belicheat fined $50,000.00 for not keeping his hands to himself. One of the few times I agree with Crasher on this.. should've been suspended for 1 game, but whatever. This'll do.

"...quicker than Esa Tikkanen's tenure with the New Jersey Devils." -Brian Duff (regarding Ted Saskin's NHLPA authority) smiley-happy112.gif

#87 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:08 PM

And now the refs union says they're not close at all. Wouldn't shock me if putting out the word they were close was another NFL pr gambit to make the refs look bad when no deal happened :rant:

The refs union might be squeezing the league for every last penny, considering they have 'em desperate and bent over a barrel. Maybe they're counting on 1 more disastrous week

the league know the nation is drunkenly hooked on football, but once words like "boycott" and "take a knee every down in protest" start getting thrown around...there ears perk up. I'd be SHOCKED if this isn't resolved by at the latest next Thursday...because it's soon going to start hitting the owners in their pocketbooks.

Edited by '7', 26 September 2012 - 01:13 PM.

^7^ is just defending his sport sheeps.. as Alcibiades the exiled Athenian rationalizes in his speech to the enemy Spartans, he wants to take revenge on Athens because he loves it and can't stand to see the state it's in now - Triumph

#88 '7'

'7'

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,916 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:11 PM

http://m.espn.go.com...storyId=8428027

Belicheat fined $50,000.00 for not keeping his hands to himself. One of the few times I agree with Crasher on this.. should've been suspended for 1 game, but whatever. This'll do.

Kraft has a lot of pull, no way would he ever allow this. Now he's just going to simply funnel the money to Belicheat who essentially gets off scot free

#89 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

The refs union might be squeezing the league for every last penny, considering they have 'em desperate and bent over a barrel. Maybe they're counting on 1 more disastrous week

It's possible, but it wouldn't be smart of them to overplay their hand. If people start thinking the refs are being unreasonable they're going to start looking at the games through CRASHER lenses and support the Foot Locker refs.

I don't trust the weasels in charge of the NFL till I see the professional refs back.

#90 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:58 PM

the league know the nation is drunkenly hooked on football, but once words like "boycott" and "take a knee every down in protest" start getting thrown around...there ears perk up. I'd be SHOCKED if this isn't resolved by at the latest next Thursday...because it's soon going to start hitting the owners in their pocketbooks.

I agree. The owners greed and stupidity put the Refs in a great leverage situation. I think the "boycott" worked because it was all over twitter and several groups started popping up on Facebook that when from 0 to 300 members in a matter of hours.

Goodell is a PR guy first and foremost, so it must have struck a nerve that the fan base was starting to rebel.

Hopefully, it ends before 8pm tomorrow so I can watch my Ravens.
I was wrong to ever doubt the powers of Lou Lamoriello.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#91 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree. The owners greed and stupidity put the Refs in a great leverage situation. I think the "boycott" worked because it was all over twitter and several groups started popping up on Facebook that when from 0 to 300 members in a matter of hours.

Goodell is a PR guy first and foremost, so it must have struck a nerve that the fan base was starting to rebel.

Hopefully, it ends before 8pm tomorrow so I can watch my Ravens.

Well, even if it does end tomorrow, replacements will be working that game. No way they can get the regular guys on the field by tomorrow night.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#92 nmigliore

nmigliore

A Legend

• Members
  • 13,209 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 10:02 PM

Sounds like a deal is done:

Jim Daopoulos, a long-time official and supervisor of officials, joined NBC this season. And he tells PFT that the NFL and NFL Referees Association have signed a new deal.

A crew is being assembled to work Thursday night’s game between the Browns and Ravens. Then, on Friday, the officials will travel to Dallas to retrieve their equipment and receive their game assignments for Sunday and Monday, with the same crews working together as last year.

Details are still not clear, but Daopoulos says that the much-debated pension issue was resolved with the current defined-benefit plan remaining in place for five years before switching to a 401(k)-style defined contribution plan.

Also, it’s believed that the deal will cover five more years before this one, which means that we’ll potentially be doing this again in 2018.

UPDATE 10:56 p.m. ET: Daopoulos has provided some more facts. The officials will vote on the deal in Dallas on Friday, at which time it will become final. They’ll then participate in a clinic, and head on Saturday to the game sites. Also, the officials will receive a pay raise of four percent, with 12 guaranteed game checks this year and 19 in subsequent years (including preseason). As to the checks they’ve missed this year, the officials will divvy up $2.5 million.

http://profootballta...a-deal-is-done/

Hopefully this turns out to be a true...

Edited by nmigliore, 26 September 2012 - 10:11 PM.

LETS GO METS
LETS GO DEVILS

"Take all that clubhouse [expletive] and all that, throw it out the window. Every writer in the country has been writing about that [expletive] for years. Chemistry don't mean [expletive]."

- Jim Leyland

#93 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

Yay! I can watch the Ravens tonight!!!
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#94 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Yay! I can watch the Ravens tonight!!!

At least your team came out of this fiasco relatively unscathed. Not that I blame the refs for the Pats being 1-2...that's a result of the Genius not having answers yet again on D.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

#95 MantaRay

MantaRay

A Legend

• Members
  • 15,314 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 10:20 AM

At least your team came out of this fiasco relatively unscathed. Not that I blame the refs for the Pats being 1-2...that's a result of the Genius not having answers yet again on D.

In fairness, I thought we got a lot of calls against you that I don't think a professional ref would have called.
I don't take a lot of stock in this win, and The Genius should be using this as motiviational tool with his young team.
IN LOU WE TRUST @Manta04

Posted Image

#96 NJDevs4978

NJDevs4978

A Legend

• Members
  • 23,037 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:03 PM

And as far as whether the league or refs should 'win', I hardly care. Let them keep their pension and increase their pay in exchange for making them full-time and adding more refs. If you can't reach a compromise, agree to binding arbitration for crying out loud. I find it impossible to believe that a $10 billion league can't reach an EQUITABLE agreement and have the 'best' officials (whatever you want to say about it, there's no disputing this) ref games instead of guys who don't belong on the field and for all we know are more worried about their fantasy teams than getting the call right. Hell, they're collecting enough fine money to pay the refs just with that :P

Funny how the deal wound up to being pretty close to something it took me five minutes to write. The refs got a pay increase and keep their pensions till the next negotiation, the league gets its taxi squad/accountability.

Pitiful it took the league five months to come to this deal that me and my zero legal background came up with.

#97 MadDog2020

MadDog2020

A Legend

• Members
  • 14,978 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:47 PM

Well, even if it does end tomorrow, replacements will be working that game. No way they can get the regular guys on the field by tomorrow night.

. I guess I was wrong, the regulars are working tonight. Good.

iq0p.pngUploaded with ImageShack.com

#98 Colorado Rockies 1976

Colorado Rockies 1976

A Legend

• Members
  • 10,243 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 12:53 PM

In fairness, I thought we got a lot of calls against you that I don't think a professional ref would have called.
I don't take a lot of stock in this win, and The Genius should be using this as motiviational tool with his young team.

It's a huge win though, regardless of how it came...tiebreakers, conference win, etc.

Even with all the kookiness, the Pats were up by 9 deep into the fourth. They couldn't close, and yet another QB made it look easy in driving down the field to win the game. Maybe Flacco is really raising his play to the next level, but I've seen that against the Pats' D a lot the past several seasons...it'd be nice to see them pick up Brady once in a while. To their credit, they took full blame for the loss, saying the offense did its job, but they didn't do theirs.
THE NHL MUST LOVE THE DEVILS - from who else? A RANGER fan!
[Mark Messier]: A big, bald attention whore with a stupid Easter Island-lookin face. - from who else? DaneykoIsGod!

Even when Marty comes back maybe Larry should put Clemmensen to be on the goal during the shootouts.
Can the coach do that ? Switch the goalies 5 seconds to go in overtime?
- Most priceless quote ever posted on a message board.

Martin Brodeur: THE MOST ALL-TIME WINS!, 12 straight seasons of 30+ wins, 3 Stanley Cups, 4 Vezina Trophies, and zero respect from too many so-called Devils "fans" who are either too young or too bandwagon to remember the much darker days of Sean Burke, Craig Billington, Bob Sauve, Alain Chevrier, and the talented but overwhelmed Chico Resch, among many others.

It's easy to support a great player when he's playing at his very best. It takes a true fan to support that same player during those rare moments and stretches when he's not. Babe Ruth went 0-4 some games, and sometimes Wayne Gretzky was held pointless. There may be such a thing as greatness, but no such thing as absolute perfection every single night.

#30 FOREVER!

20 out of 1,946 njdevs.com members agree: CR1976 is the Most Knowledgable Poster of 2008! Victory is mine...oh yes, victory is mine!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users