Photo

Has Brodeur gotten the short end of the stick?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:36 PM

Obviously. Brodeur will go down as one of the best of all time. But one thing that most anti-Brodeur supporters point to is the fact that he never won a Hart or Conn Smythe.

1) The Hart Trophy

2006-2007 was easily Brodeur's best chance at winning the Hart. He set the all time record for wins in a season (48) and passed Roy for most OT wins (45). He posted a 2.18 GAA and a .922 SVP with 12 shutouts. These numbers are flat out insane, especially considering this is only a year after the new rules. Crosby won it because he scored 120 pts, a very good number, but not out of this world.

2) The Conn Smythe Trophy

Brodeur didn't deserve the Smythe in 1995 or 2000. Claude Lemieux was money in 95 and we all are aware of Scott Stevens' impact in 2000. However, in 2003, Brodeur was 16-8 with a 1.65 GAA and a .934 SVP with 7 shutouts. J.S Giguere obviously put up great numbers, and I'm not arguing the decision, but it could have gone either way.

#2 pattyelias

pattyelias

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:43 PM

short answer no. long answer nope.

#3 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

He definitely got shafted outta the Conn Smythe in 2003. 3 SHUTOUTS in the FINALS?!?!? I was in attendance at Game 7 and was shocked when they announced Giguere. It was worth it to see Jiggy crying a river of tears into his straggly beard while Marty skated around the ice in his fresh out-of-the-box 2003 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS hat while he lifted his arms up and down as if he were pumping the Cup. CLASSIC MOMENT!

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#4 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:48 PM

Brodeur is/was not as good as Roy and Hasek. I can live with it. You have to be a great player to even be in that conversation.

He and Scott Stevens are the most important players in the history of a franchise that won three championships with them as leaders. 1 and 1a.

The Conn Smythe and Hart ... eh, it's peripheral to me.

#5 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 04:52 PM

He definitely got shafted outta the Conn Smythe in 2003. 3 SHUTOUTS in the FINALS?!?!? I was in attendance at Game 7 and was shocked when they announced Giguere. It was worth it to see Jiggy crying a river of tears into his straggly beard while Marty skated around the ice in his fresh out-of-the-box 2003 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS hat while he lifted his arms up and down as if he were pumping the Cup. CLASSIC MOMENT!

I've mellowed about it as the years have passed, but I was angry when a Devil didn't win the award (Brodeur or Niedermayer). I wanted the victor getting all the spoils. I booed the announcement, I admit it.

#6 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:06 PM

I've mellowed about it as the years have passed, but I was angry when a Devil didn't win the award (Brodeur or Niedermayer). I wanted the victor getting all the spoils. I booed the announcement, I admit it.

All 19,040 at CAA booed! "MARTY'S BETTER!!!"

"I'm not drinking anymore of Lou's Kool-Aid. I'm fed up with it." - Mike Jefferson/Danton

#7 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

All 19,040 at CAA booed! "MARTY'S BETTER!!!"

Yeah, I remember like it was yesterday. And Brodeur's reaction was pure class.

#8 lucifer91

lucifer91

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:23 PM

Yeah, I remember like it was yesterday. And Brodeur's reaction was pure class.

What was Brodeurs reaction? I never really noticed it

Edited by lucifer91, 10 February 2011 - 05:23 PM.

Posted Image

#9 Jerrydevil

Jerrydevil

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,900 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

What was Brodeurs reaction? I never really noticed it

He motioned for the crowd to calm down, then pretended to lift the Cup over his head, signaling that the Cup was the biggest prize.

#10 msweet

msweet

The Voice of Reason

• Admin
  • 8,801 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:17 PM

Giguere winning the CS is another example of how corrupt the NHL is.
Follow me on Twitter @MSweetwood

"Quite frankly, all the players are getting paid too much and all the contracts are too long," general manager Lou Lamoriello said. "But if you want to compete in this market and you want to win, there are some things you have to do."

#11 theamazingtiny

theamazingtiny

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:18 PM

Yeah lets open the 03 wound again...
They've become a farm system for the rest of the league, developing great talent that is eventually poached by those paying more, yet they routinely rank among the league's best. - AOL Sports

Posted Image

#12 CRASHER

CRASHER

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,452 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 06:59 PM

I hate that puffy padded douche to this DAY and stalk out when he lets in goals on Center Ice every game cause few things on the planet make me smile bigger then the JiggyPout!

I have no problem admitting this and taking it to my grave, between that, the idiot announcers all but wearing Duck beaks (and that disgrace with that fat slob couple from Anaheim getting seats in our building so that disgrace could propose to that walrus).... I felt my fan-hood was questioned and mocked by the way that series was handled .... and well.... I get angry about that kinda crap... and I am known to hold a grudge now n then!
Pay homage to the INCREDIBLE scoring goalie!!!! :-)

I saw CRASHER trip a kid on skates and then he stole the kids lunch money and slapped his mom when she came to pick him up.. All because the kid looked at his crease

CRASHER's official list of high stick victims from this forum:
gionta182, devilsfan26 .... WHO'S NEXT??

2005 Fantasy Football League Champion... Bow to my Football knowledge !!!!!!

2003-04 NJDevs.com winner of the Masterton Award for Dedication to the Devils(still proud of that one !)

4, Four (!?!?) Time (2005-2008) NJDevs.com winner of the Whoever the damn Award for the funniest poster in the land is named after...(geesh... post pressure, but I seem ok with it!)
TWO TIME (2005, 2006) Award Winner and the man who can show Jeremy Roenick what a REAL loudmouth is all about.... hell this mouth roars SO loud, they retired the DAMN AWARD!!!! But how do you be emotional about an award for being most emotional when you're sharing it?

2008 NJDevs Stanley Cup Winner for best overall poster... where's my damn ring?

June 6, 2007... the NHL dies just a little bit.....
.. April 20, 2008...it gets a little better :)

#13 SMantzas

SMantzas

Assistant Coach

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 07:51 PM

The Hart pissses me off too

#14 ATLL765

ATLL765

Assistant Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:21 PM

I vividly remember laughing at Giguere crying his pansy eyes out in '03. He definitely didn't deserve the Conn Smythe over Broduer. It was ridiculous that he didn't get it that year, but it's really not a huge deal because we got the real prize, Lord Stanley's Cup.

#15 jim777

jim777

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:25 PM

short answer no. long answer nope.

LOL, awesome :)

gallery_47_36_882.png   # 44, Stephane Richer

believe-elias.jpg

"bring knee pads...wear flattering attire...hair and makeup should be performance ready" -from Devils Dance Team audition notice

#16 iamtheprodigy

iamtheprodigy

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 10:54 PM

Hart is stupid. Conn Smythe is whatever. If you win it that means you probably won the Cup so it's really just a bonus prize that doesn't mean all that much. Brodeur probably deserved it in 03 but who cares. People remember the Cup winner not the Smythe winner.

#17 bobilly45

bobilly45

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:06 PM

even if he did get the "short end of the stick", he's still a future hof goalie, and a multi-millionare, so you cant feel bad

#18 ThreeCups

ThreeCups

General Manager

• Members
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

Hart is stupid. Conn Smythe is whatever. If you win it that means you probably won the Cup so it's really just a bonus prize that doesn't mean all that much. Brodeur probably deserved it in 03 but who cares. People remember the Cup winner not the Smythe winner.

True, but the Conn Smythe would have been a nice piece of hardware to add to Marty's resume

#19 StormJosh

StormJosh

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:12 PM

I was there too and I booed hard as hell. I'm still booing.

#20 Pepperkorn

Pepperkorn

A Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,388 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 11:15 PM

Jiggy's reaction was the worst part IMO. I felt like fine. If you don't want it give it to someone who does.

I'm here for the party

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users