Did anybody else get this email?

Mike Brown

I know ST are a give and take but my main arguement is the tone of that email. 

I don't think they sat down and drafted that email keeping in mind how the non STH people on Devils forums would feel. I thought it was an honest and rational way to approach their STH base. I don't think it was meant to be plastered all over the internet.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's you, though... I personally like seeing us beat up the Rangers 4-0 in our arena for $23, and for those nights, my STH deal is worth it.

And that is you.  I just don't like the Devils basically saying that fans like me mean squat to the franchise and I could easily watch those games on TV.

Again I am not blaming you or saying you are in the wrong for being a STH or wanting to go to those games, I just don't like what the Devils are saying about fans like me who Stubhub it and deal it on a game by game basis.

The way I see it, the allure of ST for Devils games were never cheaper tickets as there have always been the option of getting them cheaper on the secondary market, but instead the main selling point were the perks and the same seats for every game.  Those perks mean nothing to me as they are not worth the extra money you drop for season tickets.

I also feel a little offended by what Eric is saying that us game-by-game people who look for deals don't mean dick to the future.  Without us like many have said, the building is at best 75% full.  Again his email would make sense if the building was sold out every night but they are not selling out every night and there is no waiting list for season tickets.  I go to 10-20 games a year and I am only able to do so because of LivingSocial, Groupon, Group and stubhub deals.  Maybe if the Devils fixed their dopey STH pricing scheme maybe then I can re-consider and actually afford to take them up on their ST offers.  Until then they can go fvck themselves.

You're really taking this personally dude.. Please highlight which parts of his email were so offensive to folks like you.. He's not saying that they don't value you, he is saying they want to make sure the STH/partial plan holders receive the absolute best value from the team in terms of price and perks.. Undercutting STH directly via the deals you've taken part in is unacceptable and should be suspended (and he is saying they only offered these deals to get casual fans more interested in the game, not to provide a cheaper way in for folks as passionate as you, though I don't blame you for acting on a good deal).. Some STH on StubHub losing money by selling you their tickets for less than even they paid is their right, and the team will never be able to truly stop that from happening

I just don't see what type of ticket plan could ever work for you, that guarantees you the best price with ultimate flexibility to get money back on games you don't want to attend.. You're a special case IMO and I don't think most fans go to such great lengths for the best deals to 10-20 games a season, while also not caring at all about any perks whatsoever.. The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

I don't think they sat down and drafted that email keeping in mind how the non STH people on Devils forums would feel. I thought it was an honest and rational way to approach their STH base. I don't think it was meant to be plastered all over the internet.

Yeah that last part is probably true lol.

Should the Devils take care of their STH and put their needs above the day to day people like me?  Sure and that makes sense and I don't mind that one bit.  Hell I was one of those people who thought they handled the Draft day tickets the best way they could.  However, to basically trash us in the same breath really pisses me off.  Maybe I am indeed overreacting but I do not like the tone of that email.

And that is you.  I just don't like the Devils basically saying that fans like me mean squat to the franchise and I could easily watch those games on TV.

Again I am not blaming you or saying you are in the wrong for being a STH or wanting to go to those games, I just don't like what the Devils are saying about fans like me who Stubhub it and deal it on a game by game basis.

I didn't see them mention StubHub or getting single tickets, you're putting words in their mouth. I read that email and all I got out of it was that they were doing away with all that LivingSocial and Groupon bullsh!t before STH cancel their plans altogether. I know at least 10 STHers that wrote angry emails last year that they felt like they were thrown under the bus.

They're talking about actively putting an end to things under their control like LivingSocial and Groupon. They have no direct effect on people buying on StubHub or single-game tickets, I don't know why you think they're talking about that. 

You're really taking this personally dude.. Please highlight which parts of his email were so offensive to folks like you.. He's not saying that they don't value you, he is saying they want to make sure the STH/partial plan holders receive the absolute best value from the team in terms of price and perks.. Undercutting STH directly via the deals you've taken part in is unacceptable and should be suspended (and he is saying they only offered these deals to get casual fans more interested in the game, not to provide a cheaper way in for folks as passionate as you, though I don't blame you for acting on a good deal).. Some STH on StubHub losing money by selling you their tickets for less than even they paid is their right, and the team will never be able to truly stop that from happening

I just don't see what type of ticket plan could ever work for you, that guarantees you the best price with ultimate flexibility to get money back on games you don't want to attend.. You're a special case IMO and I don't think most fans go to such great lengths for the best deals to 10-20 games a season, while also not caring at all about any perks whatsoever.. The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

I really would like to see those numbers.  I mean if the STH base has grown so dramatically the last few years, where are they?  All I see are numbers for new STH but I never see about how many were lost or retained.  Therefore I take those numbers with a grain of salt but I digress.

As for the email, eh maybe I am overreacting and turning an anthill into a moutain, but damn that whole "value-focused" fans part was a bit grating. 

I didn't see them mention StubHub or getting single tickets, you're putting words in their mouth. I read that email and all I got out of it was that they were doing away with all that LivingSocial and Groupon bullsh!t before STH cancel their plans altogether. I know at least 10 STHers that wrote angry emails last year that they felt like they were thrown under the bus.

They're talking about actively putting an end to things under their control like LivingSocial and Groupon. They have no direct effect on people buying on StubHub or single-game tickets, I don't know why you think they're talking about that. 

Eh reading it again I can see your point.  I guess I am overreacting.

Dammit thanks for making me feel like SD just now lol.

The STH base grew exponentially after those were instated, and they're easily better than any other team in the area outside of the Red Bulls

Red Bulls is a good example of what some people on here are talking about. I don't know exact numbers but I'd say 50-70% of the arena's tickets on any given gamenight were given away for free or cheap corporate tickets.

For a sport like soccer that still has tons of room to grow, it makes sense. Especially to people who aren't yet into the sport, the atmosphere is EVERYTHING, and the atmosphere there is unmatched (vs. any sport in the local area: football, basketball, baseball, etc.) when that place is full. 

I don't think there's any way they have 11,000 season ticket holders, I'd probably put it more around 6,000 but they do a DECENT (not great, but decent) job at getting walkups and randoms to come week by week, which is easier since games are spaced out weekly.

I mean we can all have our strong opinions one way or another but in the end, we have the deep-pocketed ownership to keep the team stable for the foreseeable future.. This is one ticket manager's strategy for growth and it'll either succeed, fail, or have no impact.. So whatever your view of it is, sit back and enjoy because it's going to play itself out regardless lol

The biggest issue for me is the empty building this year because of pricing and the lack of special deals. I am very upset to hear that filling this building isn't important to the management. Of course, the season ticket holders are a priority and they are guaranteed sales, but the building is a morgue when it's only 11-14k people in there. I am in the same boat as some of the other posters. I go to 10-20 games a year and get all of my tickets on stubhub the day of the game. I typically don't spend more than $20 to get in. Playoffs are different, and I can splurge for those. I've had a partial plan before but it was a hassle to sell the tickets if I couldn't go. I have always done it this way because my work schedule changes and I can't commit to season tickets. I like going when I am free, and the cost savings is an added benefit to this approach. I've been going to games since 93 and I watch every game on tv if I can't be there. I'd say that is more than "casual fan" status. The past few years were great, I got emails constantly for cheap ticket deals and took advantage of every single one. I even got into the Cup finals in 2012 with one of those deals. I do also feel somewhat offended by that letter, because to me, filling the building is the most important thing. The atmosphere at games this year has been quiet and uninspiring. That is an issue that needs to be addressed, and it looks like they are going to be stubborn and set in their ways, which have proven to be an epic failure this year. 

I paid $15 for a ticket to the Friday night Kings game and for the first time, saw all the corner sections upstairs completely empty. That's where our loudest fans and most of the passion would come from, but there was no energy up there, and it was depressing. I can't believe they wanted fans to pay $55 for those seats. This is a side note, but I also witnessed a "clique" of Season Ticket holders being extremely rude and disorderly to 2 fans who were at their first game and then stated that they are never coming back due to the experience. We should all be making an extra effort to gain new fans at every opportunity, not lose them.  

Another brilliant move by the new management. As a STH, I am one of the 10,000 people this policy is meant to benefit. The problem is, I would rather see a full energetic building regardless of the discounts to non STH's than the lifeless empty arena we've had this season. I didn't buy seasons to resell them, so I don't care how the deals undercut the STH resale market. The perks a few seasons ago were great and, as someone previously said, it should be something they should be increasing to attract new plan holders.

Just seems to me like these new suits have no clue how to reach this fan base, and are making a mess at every turn. Sad start to this regime.

this is how i feel. i, like colin, appreciate the same seat and the perks (although i think there should be more - that's what's going to really make someone want STH). the difference between spending $500 and $700 for some sort of plan isn't likely to sway an opinion if the perks are special.

I don't want to say anything, but the "gifts", I just have a feeling that a certain someone was behind those things and he ain't there anymore.   Because I can tell you we didn't get sh!t from the Devils until after the 04-05 lockout, which was when he came on board.   People can say what they want about JVB but he was a fan's owner and he "got it".

whether it was jvb specifically or his marketing team, i did like what they were doing during his tenure for fan support

I really would like to see those numbers.  I mean if the STH base has grown so dramatically the last few years, where are they?  All I see are numbers for new STH but I never see about how many were lost or retained.  Therefore I take those numbers with a grain of salt but I digress.

As for the email, eh maybe I am overreacting and turning an anthill into a moutain, but damn that whole "value-focused" fans part was a bit grating. 

Eh reading it again I can see your point.  I guess I am overreacting.

Dammit thanks for making me feel like SD just now lol.

I dunno, I kind of feel the same way you do. I REFUSE to buy tickets at box office price, they're nuts. I either buy stubhub or I get my Father to buy extras through his STH account.

And the perks people are mentioning are pure garbage. Ooh a meet and greet. I can get that with an hour of standing outside the arena by the parking deck. Having the same seat is kind of nice, but it's no biggie to me. I just want to be in the building.

Personally, I feel like I'm the kind of person the Devils need to target. I'm 23, just starting to make some more money than I did in the past, but the hell with it if I'm not saving any money. In fact, since I'd wager very few STH actually make it to every game, between paying more for the seats to begin with, then selling them at a loss, it's even less smart financially for me to become a STH.

And there is absolutely no way the Devils don't make money off of me when I see around 10 games a year live. No matter how much I tell myself, don't buy anything in the arena, I always do. Went to the LA game, bought 2 beers and popcorn. That alone was probably enough for them to turn a profit on my seat since they made about 1000% profit on those items, lol. Add in the nearly $40 I paid for each ticket and I don't get how I'm not important as a fan.

The letter definitely had a screw these guys looking for cheaper tickets, they're not who we care about vibe to it.

Edited by ATLL765

And the perks people are mentioning are pure garbage. Ooh a meet and greet. I can get that with an hour of standing outside the arena by the parking deck. Having the same seat is kind of nice, but it's no biggie to me. I just want to be in the building.

again - i'd like them to get people like you into the building while i'm there (as a STH) but i can assure you that the on-ice skate with the players is an awesome event and not anywhere near waiting outside for these guys to go from the arena to their car where i assure you, you are the last thing they want to deal with.

Got an email for a college night "discount". $32 tickets going for... Wait for it... $30. Save a whole $2.

Is this a joke? Seriously, who the hell thought this was a good idea? Why even have the discount in the first place

The family four pack deal is not much better. These deals are made worse by the fact that Ticketmaster is piling on their fees which did not seem to happen in previous seasons.

Edited by mac760

again - i'd like them to get people like you into the building while i'm there (as a STH) but i can assure you that the on-ice skate with the players is an awesome event and not anywhere near waiting outside for these guys to go from the arena to their car where i assure you, you are the last thing they want to deal with.

The on ice skate would probably be my #1 perk if I was a STH with a kid. I loved it when I was younger. I was referring to the meet and greet thing they did in the concourse though.

The family four pack deal is not much better. These deals are made worse by the fact that Ticketmaster is piling on their fees which did not seem to happen in previous seasons.

All part of the Eric K regime

No deals for Non STH's

STH's who have to sell some games get punished.

Hopefully this clown is ousted sooner than later

All part of the Eric K regime

No deals for Non STH's

STH's who have to sell some games get punished.

Hopefully this clown is ousted sooner than later

SCREW THE NON-STH'S!  IF YOU ARE A STH, SCREW YOU TOO!  MUST ATTEND ALL 41 HOME GAMES!  BROKERS EVERYWHERE!!!

Nothing would make me happier then to see a competitor to Ticketmaster that would force them to lower their fees. It's nuts. I paid $15 worth of fees on $65 worth of tickets to the LA game. A fee that is 25% of the cost of the product is insane.

Nothing would make me happier then to see a competitor to Ticketmaster that would force them to lower their fees. It's nuts. I paid $15 worth of fees on $65 worth of tickets to the LA game. A fee that is 25% of the cost of the product is insane.

Yea same with some concert venue tickets. The fees are insane and if that doesn't get them out of your price point right away, the fact that so many of the tickets are bought out in minutes and thrown on Stubhub for 3-5x the price(+fees) will. As far as Devils games are concerned, I have just started adding 15-20$ on to whatever tickets my friends think they want to buy that night so I have a more accurate number of what the game will cost assuming I don't eat or drink.

IMHO the guy Eric has no idea what he is doing....he is going to end up pissing off all of the STH's with his nonsense

He needs to go back wherever he came from

Eric didn't just get here this year, he was here at least two years back when the Devils were a lot more fan friendly. It's not all him, or at least it couldn't be all him two years ago and now with two completely different mindsets. We all know what HAS changed in those two years.

Yup, I did the Rangers pre-sale last month for the Yankee stadium game and on 3 x $149 tickets I paid $112 on convenience charges and shipping.

And yes I felt a sharp pain in my butthole when I saw that amount.

Eric didn't just get here this year, he was here at least two years back when the Devils were a lot more fan friendly. It's not all him, or at least it couldn't be all him two years ago and now with two completely different mindsets. We all know what HAS changed in those two years.

I have to think he is a big part of it