Brodeur Article, name dropping where he might want to play, reveals wh

'7'

Agreed. The other thing is it just seems like no progress is being made. Like, I can't even find silver linings in this season and it feels like we're just spinning our wheels so I'm sure others feel the same. We get a new franchise goalie and don't use him like one. We keep our top prospect in the minors in favor of guys way past their prime. We sit our young guys for seemingly no reason and ruin their confidence. I mean, yes, Merrill looks great but it'd be nice to see the team make a bit more progress. Instead they go to the same dried up well over and over (shootout choices, Marty, Sal, CBGB).

No silver linings?  Really?

Adam Henrique is coming into his own.  He's a potential 30 goal scorer in the future.

Merrill is looking like he could be a stud for a long time.

Gelinas is proving he can be a huge asset on the PP for a long time.

Zajac as well has had a very solid season albeit quietly.

But other than that, the attendance has gone up, despite everyone thinking it would go down.  We have deep pocketed owners, and with our new sponsorship deal with PP, we might be able to have the cash to bring in some UFA's.

No silver linings?  Really?

Adam Henrique is coming into his own.  He's a potential 30 goal scorer in the future.

Merrill is looking like he could be a stud for a long time.

Gelinas is proving he can be a huge asset on the PP for a long time.

Zajac as well has had a very solid season albeit quietly.

But other than that, the attendance has gone up, despite everyone thinking it would go down.  We have deep pocketed owners, and with our new sponsorship deal with PP, we might be able to have the cash to bring in some UFA's.

I brought up Merrill in my post. I did forget Henrique's massive step forward which was just an omission on my part. Hell, I'd even add in Clowe being an upgrade over Clarkson as something I forgot. Gelinas has been jerked around too much to call a straight up silver lining. He played his best with Larsson and has regressed since. I love Zajac, but he's had his share of struggles this season and can't seem to put a puck in the ocean. The other stuff (strong defensive play, faceoffs, etc) he's already shown he can do. If he was back to putting up the point totals of a few years ago or even hitting 50 (there's still time) then I'd call his play a silver lining. As of now, he's the player we thought he was but with that contract you know they have to be hoping for a little more. Add in Larsson rotting away in the AHL, JJ rotting on the bench for much of the year, Teds proving his bust status, Loki falling out of favor and being traded away, Ryder/Brunner running hot and cold and a general lack of consistency as a whole, Cory getting jerked around, and veterans getting worse and still having time on contracts left and it's definitely way more tire spinning than moving forward, even regression in some areas. There are a few silver linings, but man does it feel like we're just gonna be stuck in the same place next season and it's a bit tough to get hyped for 14-15. At least it is for me.

Agreed. The other thing is it just seems like no progress is being made. Like, I can't even find silver linings in this season and it feels like we're just spinning our wheels so I'm sure others feel the same. We get a new franchise goalie and don't use him like one. We keep our top prospect in the minors in favor of guys way past their prime. We sit our young guys for seemingly no reason and ruin their confidence. I mean, yes, Merrill looks great but it'd be nice to see the team make a bit more progress. Instead they go to the same dried up well over and over (shootout choices, Marty, Sal, CBGB).

Don't forget the draft pick penalty that cast a dark cloud over most of the season.  It was infuriating watching us not play players, that at least as fans we felt gave us the best chance to win when the stakes were as high as they were with regards to giving away a top pick for nothing.  I guess it will still be a bit of an embarrassment but I guess at this point most people are just happy to have a pick at all.  It still wasn't fun.      

• Like 1

Don't forget the draft pick penalty that cast a dark cloud over most of the season.  It was infuriating watching us not play players, that at least as fans we felt gave us the best chance to win when the stakes were as high as they were with regards to giving away a top pick for nothing.  I guess it will still be a bit of an embarrassment but I guess at this point most people are just happy to have a pick at all.  It still wasn't fun.      

Agree 100%. It made every weird decision by PDB just that much more annoying.

You'd be shocked man. A lot of "fans" of this team really have no idea what's going on. They think Marty is better than Cory. You should've seen the outrage from casual fans that Lou was thinking about trading Marty. Calling it a slap in the face and that they'd never go to another game even though Marty was the one who wanted out and ASKED to be traded. Bottom line, a lot of people who are fans and come to games are pretty clueless.

Again, I see no/very little evidence of this.

Again, I see no/very little evidence of this.

Well then luckily you're not friends with many of these casual "fans". I know a bunch on Facebook saying this exact stuff. Believe me, it's out there. Hell, I'm sure if you go into the comments on the Devils' Facebook page you'll see it. Not that I ever recommend reading that stuff because you will definitely feel dumber by the end.

Well then luckily you're not friends with many of these casual "fans". I know a bunch on Facebook saying this exact stuff. Believe me, it's out there. Hell, I'm sure if you go into the comments on the Devils' Facebook page you'll see it. Not that I ever recommend reading that stuff because you will definitely feel dumber by the end.

I understand what you're saying. It's just that complaining about what the casual fans do is a useless exercise. There are a lot of ridiculous things they spout, non-casual fans should expect this and not use it as a reason for their frustration.

I understand what you're saying. It's just that complaining about what the casual fans do is a useless exercise. There are a lot of ridiculous things they spout, non-casual fans should expect this and not use it as a reason for their frustration.

It's hard to avoid (and separate the casual fans from the hard-core ones) it when all the major Devils FB groups and other forums are clogged by these idiots who are still stuck in 2001.  A lot of them really do believe that Marty "still has some left" and should get 40 starts a season.

Hell even Ray T of the Crazies, a 30-year STH btw, still posts very often that he thinks Marty should get as many starts as Corey.  This is how silly this is.

It's hard to avoid (and separate the casual fans from the hard-core ones) it when all the major Devils FB groups and other forums are clogged by these idiots who are still stuck in 2001.  A lot of them really do believe that Marty "still has some left" and should get 40 starts a season.

Hell even Ray T of the Crazies, a 30-year STH btw, still posts very often that he thinks Marty should get as many starts as Corey.  This is how silly this is.

Maybe avoid FB and 'other' forums (I guess this is a magical forum where it doesn't happen)? Anyway, I'm pretty sure the FB posters, the Crazies, other forums, etc... don't represent the average fan or the mainstream view; which from my experience has been "It's Cory's time, he's our future, Marty will always be in my heart." 

The main point of what I last posted was not to avoid these fans, it's that why is this such a surprise to anyone? Experienced fans should be able to expect this by now; that the average/everyday fan has not measured save pcts. and GAA. And as stated, I think the majority - by a long shot, realize that Cory is the guy now anyway. Ya'll just want to be upset.

Maybe avoid FB and 'other' forums (I guess this is a magical forum where it doesn't happen)? Anyway, I'm pretty sure the FB posters, the Crazies, other forums, etc... don't represent the average fan or the mainstream view; which from my experience has been "It's Cory's time, he's our future, Marty will always be in my heart." 

The main point of what I last posted was not to avoid these fans, it's that why is this such a surprise to anyone? Experienced fans should be able to expect this by now; that the average/everyday fan has not measured save pcts. and GAA. And as stated, I think the majority - by a long shot, realize that Cory is the guy now anyway. Ya'll just want to be upset.

You can believe what you want but these people exist and their number is greater than you think it is. I have friends who I would say go to a few games a year and and the great majority of them are all in the "We need to keep Marty at all costs and Cory can wait" boat. A lot of fans of the Devils feel this way. It might not be the as many who don't, but it's still a larger number than it should be. It's unfortunate.

I believe there are many legit fans (re: non-social media crazies) that feel the same way and let their respect for Marty cloud their better judgement.  Why wouldn't I believe that when LOU clearly has let his regard for Marty color everything this year?

This is the kind of statement that I have been having a problem with. This is complete speculation, backed with no evidence or reason, yet still seems to perpetuate itself on this board.

"LOU clearly has let his regard for Marty color everything this year?" - I mean, what does that even mean? I mean you no disrespect but what an exaggeration. I am not a Marty defender but having to argue against this kind of thing turns me into one. Because I can't take this culture of embellishment, hyperbole, and scapegoating. 

I only wonder what would have constituted "not coloring everything this year." Maybe Lou should have cut Marty, sent him to Albany, etc...?

Edited by Neb00rs

Martin Brodeur is a backup goalie at this stage of his career.  I don't know how much Lou has to do with the goaltending situation but Brodeur has played at least 10 too many games this year.  Lou doesn't help things with his 'we've got 2 #1 goalies' and so forth.

Edited by Triumph

Martin Brodeur is a backup goalie at this stage of his career.  I don't know how much Lou has to do with the goaltending situation but Brodeur has played at least 10 too many games this year.  Lou doesn't help things with his 'we've got 2 #1 goalies' and so forth.

I don't really have much argument with this, unless you equate Lou saying, "we've got 2 #1 goalies" with "LOU clearly has let his regard for Marty color everything this year" or something of the sort.

You can believe what you want but these people exist and their number is greater than you think it is. I have friends who I would say go to a few games a year and and the great majority of them are all in the "We need to keep Marty at all costs and Cory can wait" boat. A lot of fans of the Devils feel this way. It might not be the as many who don't, but it's still a larger number than it should be. It's unfortunate.

I have a decent amount of friends that watch almost every game and still think Brodeur deserves to be the #1 and that he isn't finished. Like NJDevs4978 said, for a lot of people, their love and respect for Brodeur clouds their judgement.

• Like 1

I have a decent amount of friends that watch almost every game and still think Brodeur deserves to be the #1 and that he isn't finished. Like NJDevs4978 said, for a lot of people, their love and respect for Brodeur clouds their judgement.

It's funny...I think if there was a clear incumbent behind Derek Jeter who was tearing up AAA and obviously ready to go, and Jeter was hitting .230-something, you'd hear a lot of Yankee fans clamoring for Jeter to keep the job, just because. 

I think the community on here is of a different ilk than most typical fans...I think on the whole we're more knowledgeable, especially since we have different perspectives on the game (this is a good thing in that everyone here often learns from each other, even though the debates sometimes get heated).  For a lot of the fans, the thought process is little more than "Marty, been here forever, won games than any other goalie, 3 Cups, won some other stuff too, he should start, he's Marty."  Those fans couldn't tell you much about his declining save%s and poorly how those save%s measure up against his peers.  They're not that much different than the NFL fans who thought (and STILL think) Tebow should be a starting QB because of one freak stretch where his team somehow overcame some god-awful QB play and managed to win. 

It's not always that cut-and-dry in baseball though since you can just shift a SS to 2B, or 3B like they did with A-Rod in the prime of his career to accomodate Jeter.  Rivera/Robertson might be a better comparison if Rivera had suddenly had a couple of sub-par seasons towards the end of his career.

And if anyone thinks Lou doesn't have a hand in the goaltending situation playing out the way it has this year well I don't know what to tell you.  Marty wasn't playing at all before the Olympics then after his meeting with Lou now he's suddenly playing every second game out of the break, then after Cory's first real slip Marty's the starter again.  They've let him get away with murder vis-a-vis his public complaining, even upping his games played after he complains and I don't think that's Pete either.  Pete chained him to the bench after the Yankee Stadium debacle. 

Edited by NJDevs4978

It's not always that cut-and-dry in baseball though since you can just shift a SS to 2B, or 3B like they did with A-Rod in the prime of his career to accomodate Jeter.  Rivera/Robertson might be a better comparison if Rivera had suddenly had a couple of sub-par seasons towards the end of his career.

And if anyone thinks Lou doesn't have a hand in the goaltending situation playing out the way it has this year well I don't know what to tell you.  Marty wasn't playing at all before the Olympics then after his meeting with Lou now he's suddenly playing every second game out of the break, then after Cory's first real slip Marty's the starter again.  They've let him get away with murder vis-a-vis his public complaining, even upping his games played after he complains and I don't think that's Pete either.  Pete chained him to the bench after the Yankee Stadium debacle. 

Not to turn this into a Derek Jeter thing, but say the scenario I described existed, where Jeter is struggling bad enough this season that he looks like he's near-done, both at the plate and in the field.  Sure, they could move him to another position, but he's been a SS for so long and is thought of as strictly that...where the parallel to Marty's situation exists is that you'd probably have a lot of Yankee fans saying "How could the Yankees do that to him, make him change positions for a rookie...as long as he's a Yankee, whenever he's not DHing, he should be a SS!"  You'd also have a lot of Yankee fans who would counter with "Geez, this version of Jeter is lucky that he gets to play as much as he does!"  It's a similar situation with Marty right now, in that you've got fans who think Marty should start no matter what because he's Marty, and others who realize that Marty isn't Marty anymore (not nearly consistently enough, anyway) and that he's gotten more playing time this season than he should have.  Like others have noted, Marty probably thinks he deserved more playing time this season, when he got somewhere between 5-10 starts too many.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I will pay for all of us to go see him play for the Leafs. 85% save percentage seems about right. Granted he'll have 15 assists to Kessel.

He'll be exposed, much like Clarkson, wherever he ends up.

I don't think he needs to be exposed anymore. He is already doing/done that on and off the ice. Other teams certainly aren't oblivious.I also wouldn't be surprised if teams motivation for pursuing him was mainly to fill some more seats and sell some jerseys similar to what Jagr can do for a team.

Actually in your first example, I just meant they'd move the SS prospect to the other position, not Jeter.  You're right though...if he was bad enough over a long period it could turn into a 'should Jeter be benched' in general debate as opposed to just benching him for any specific player.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Even casual baseball fans know that batting average defines how good a player is (I mean it doesn't, but let's assume that it does).  They have no idea that save percentage defines how good a goalie is.  That's what it comes down to - simple ignorance of the basic stats.  

If Jeter were hitting .220 in June, a lot of Yankee fans would say, oh, he'll turn it around, he's Derek Jeter.  But Brodeur with a .903 SV% which is basically the equivalent - fans don't realize that there's anything wrong.  Part of this is because baseball is a game of failure whereas hockey goalie is a game of successes - any fan can point to 'great saves' a goalie makes.  This is how Mike Vernon won a Conn Smythe trophy and how Grant Fuhr went to the Hall of Fame.

(As a sidenote, as a Yankees fan and Devils fan, it's great the number of championships I've witnessed, but watching Jeter and Brodeur go through parallel declines has been really tough to take.  At least one will be gone at the end of this calendar year.)

Edited by Triumph

This ignores every conceivable fact and substitutes with imagination. Marty didn't play again until Cory sh!t the bed. Saying, "Lou did this because well, just cause..." is not a valid argument.

This interview is for everyone who thinks Brodeur does nothing wrong and just asks the questions during his availability. This is Brodeur agreeing to a special interview request by a reporter who has been on the beat for 3 full months. The comments are ridiculous. 100% uncalled for comments.

On another note, although Avery is a classless douche, Brodeur still deserved to get fired on by Avery for even addressing his stint with Dancing on the Stars. You go after Avery...well...you are going to get burned hard. This is what happens when you've never heard of the words "no comment".

That was my take on it. It was a dumb topic to begin with by a desperate reporter looking for a story. Randy Miller has a job for what purpose? As for Marty, I always felt he was egotistical. It didn't show until recently. I guess it just happens. The whole MB30 thing and basically having influence after winning three Cups. Before the trade deadline, I thought he'd stay. But not the way it resulted with basically a Daily News leak killing a deal with Minnesota. The odd thing is his shadow will still loom over Schneider after he's gone because there will be immense pressure on him to finally be the guy. Even in a good statistical year, Schneider hasn't proven himself yet. I'll be curious to see what they do in the offseason for a backup.