BEER

TrentonDevils

Canals in Lawrenceville is tapping "Kane Mosaic Dry Hopped OverheadA" this afternoon.  Another one I've never had.  Can someone give me some details on it? :)

Can't say I have had it but I know both Kane and Carton tend to do a lot of one-off's lately so it could be one of those.

It's their Overhead imperial IPA, which is one of my favorite beers, dry-hopped with mosaic hops.  I was at their brewery a couple weeks ago and one of the guys working there explained to us that mosaic is a new kind of hop that isn't very common yet.  I had their Head High dry-hopped with mosaic while I was there and that was very good, I'm sure the mosaic Overhead won't disappoint.

It's their Overhead imperial IPA, which is one of my favorite beers, dry-hopped with mosaic hops.  I was at their brewery a couple weeks ago and one of the guys working there explained to us that mosaic is a new kind of hop that isn't very common yet.  I had their Head High dry-hopped with mosaic while I was there and that was very good, I'm sure the mosaic Overhead won't disappoint.

This beer sounds awesome!  Unfortunately Canals just updated thier special tapping list and removed the Mosaic Overhead! It's been replaced with Kane Galaxy Double Dry Hopped Head High (thats a mouth full to say).  

I think the same thing happened at the Canal's by me, the one in Iselin.  I wonder if there was some kind of quality control issue or what, but anyway, the galaxy Head High I have also had before and that is also very good.  The galaxy Overhead is also tremendous.  You really can't go wrong with any of Kane's IPAs.

I ended up forgetting my growler anyway.  I'm going to try to get a fill on any Kane IPA going forward.  Liked the regular Head High.  Do you know if they plan to can or bottle?  I've never seen them in any form but keg.

I ended up going with a 4 pack of Green Flash West Coast IPA, 6 pack of Crazy Dog Raging Bitch Belgian Style IPA, a bomber of Port Brewing Mongo and a single bottle of Dogfish Head Festina Peche (which I haven't had before and have yet to try).

Can NEVER go to Canals and not spend at least $40...  :doh1:

I have heard that they are planning on bottling Head High in the future, but this was just from a post on beeradvocate.com from a guy who spoke with someone from the brewery.  I think he posted that sometime in the winter and said they were looking to bottle it this summer and I haven't heard anything since then so who knows.  Right now the only bottling system they have is for the 750 mL bottles that they have used for Malus, 365, and A Night to End All Dawns.  I doubt they would put any of their flagship year-round beers in the 750s so that probably won't happen until they get a new 12 oz. bottling line. 

Last week a buddy of mine happened to be sitting at a bar next to a guy from Kane and he said they are planning on releasing a triple IPA in the 750s next.  I tried it at the brewery two weeks ago when they had their "A Wolf Among the Seas" event, featuring a lot of variations on their IPAs.  It was pretty good, but I expected more from them considering their reputation with IPAs.  My friend told the guy the same thing and his response was that when they brew bigger batches, they tend to come out better so we'll see.

Updating my previous post Cranbury Buy-Rite has both of those beers in limited quantities behind the counter.  You have to specifically ask for them.  And find someone who knows beer because I had to ask 2 different employees before someone knew what I was talking about went behind the counter and pulled out a bottle of each.

I tried the Stone RuinTen last night.  It was very good.  Slightly less hoppy than the "Enjoy by" and a bit heavier.  I'd definitely recommend if you liked the Enjoy by beers or DIPAs although I think I liked the Enjoy better. The bottle is really cool too.  Etched and has a quote at the bottom that says something about "entering the mosh pit of hops..."  :rolleyes:

Also picked up a Blue Point No Apologies DIPA.  This bottle may have been sitting around for awhile since Cranbury Buy-Rite is known to purchase large quantities and stash them (see the large amount of Southern Tier PumKing they have on their shelves still). I was a little disappointed with this one, again could have been due to it's age.  It says something like "Extra Fresh!" on the bottle so I assume they want you to drink this as soon as it's bottled.  I didn't get much in the way of hops from this. Certainly tasted the 10%+ ABV as well.  I'd like to try this again when I know it's fresh.

I'll try the Maine Lunch IPA tonight or tomorrow.

RuinTen is actually substantially hoppier than Enjoy By.  RuinTen is 110 IBUs and Enjoy By is 88.  Both are pretty damned good though.  I haven't had this year's RuinTen, but it is the same as last year's Tenth Anniversary Ruination which I liked more than Enjoy By, though I really appreciate the effort Stone is putting forth with Enjoy By to make sure it doesn't sit on shelves beyond its shelf life.

I didn't realize RuinTen and Lunch were out around here yet, I'll take a ride tomorrow and see if I can snag some.  Let us know how you like Lunch, I've heard good things.

I didn't realize the difference in IBUs for the two.  I think I need to try them both again side by side for an accurate taste comparison ;)

I remember being blown away by the hops in the Enjoy by.  I didn't get quite the same reaction with RuinTen but I really liked both a great deal.

I had the Maine Lunch last night.  It was VERY good.  I highly recommend you try to get your hands on a bottle.  It had it's own unique taste to it.  Can't quite put my finger on it (I think I need to start taking tasting notes while I sip).  It just had everything I expected after hearing so many good things about it. It did not disappoint.  

I agree about Cranbury Buy Rite, DM. It's going downhill fast.  Lots of old stock sitting on shelves.  Employees who are not knowledge and otherwise don't care about beer.  For a store that pumps itself up as one of the premier craft beer places in the area I expect a staff who at least knows if they get a rare or unique beer in stock and the difference between an IPA and a lager.  :doh1: Canals in Lawrenceville is pretty consistent with their employees knowing stock (even reserve stock in the back room) and helping you pick out new beers based on your taste.  Cranbury could use a few people like that.

Stone had a tap takeover at PONY in NYC last week and I was able to try a bunch of their beers, including the RuinTen.  The RuinTen is fantastic and has a great flavor on top of the aggressive hops.  They also had an exceptional Templeton Stout.  One of those stouts that ages in rye casks.  Absolutely delicious. 

Had Carton's Intermezzo yesterday as it was on-tap at The Office in Bridgewater.

Pretty interesting but not my kind of beer.  Sours in general are not really my kind of beer but just had to have it out of sheer curiosity.  Though I do have to say I didn't think it was as pungent as the reviews on BA were making it out to be.

I have only had a tasting of Intermezzo at Joe Canal's growler station and wasn't really too excited about it and ended up getting a growler of something else instead.  I was excited about Carton opening but am still yet to be impressed by any of their beers.

I have only had a tasting of Intermezzo at Joe Canal's growler station and wasn't really too excited about it and ended up getting a growler of something else instead.  I was excited about Carton opening but am still yet to be impressed by any of their beers.

It is probably the weakest beer I have had from Carton by a pretty good margin.

Then again, it could have been worse.  It could have been a Founders beer :whistling:

It is probably the weakest beer I have had from Carton by a pretty good margin.

Then again, it could have been worse.  It could have been a Founders beer :whistling:

HAHAHAHA. I got a good laugh from this. Well played.

Canals Lawrenceville has Ballast Point Dorado on tap. May try that this week.  Liked the BP Sculpin a lot.

DevsMan84 : Founders :: LucifersDog : Brodeur   :lol:

The Canal's in Iselin had Dorado on tap like a month ago.  A buddy of mine brought over a growler of it.  I don't remember how it tasted, but I remember thinking it was pretty solid but nothing out of the ordinary considering how many good IPAs are out there.  If you like Sculpin, you should keep an eye out for their habanero variation of it.  They had it on tap at the Iselin Canal's by me a little while ago and man it was awesome.  I don't like spicy food but the kick this beer had was something else.  We paired it with some grilled chicken, it was glorious.

Anyone (other than DevsMan84) pick up any Founders Rubaeus?  It's their spring specialty beer, it is made with raspberries.  They made it in the past but retired it and just brought it back this year because there weren't enough cherries or something for them to make their normal spring beer--Cerise.  I was never a fan of Cerise and usually don't care for fruit beers in general, but man I think this Rubaeus is great.  I usually don't buy more than one four or six pack of the same beer but I got two four packs of this one and apparently the Iselin Joe Canal's is already almost sold out, though I guess the novelty of it is a factor with this one considering how many beer geeks exist now that didn't exist last time this was brewed, myself included.

Edited by devilsfan26

Tried two of the Troeg's scratch beers this weekend: Naked Elf and their Mango Triple IPA.

Naked is their Mad Elf brewed without the honey (?), I think. Great stuff...not as sickly-sweet as Mad.

The Mango IPA was good, not as overwhelmingly floral as their Perpetual IPA. You catch the mango afterwards...very slight, but it's there.