Devils reacquire Arnott from Nashville

reefgeek

Hell yeah! This was a really good surprise for this saturday night :yay:

Nice! One of my all-time favorite Devils! Welcome back Jason Arnott! I have always liked him and wish the Devils never traded him. This was a good move and trade for the Devils.

I agree 100% with you brother!

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm happy that Arnott is back but WHY WHY WHY on earth did my favo player only got to play for the Devils for just a few months!!!

Better than not at all.

While this probably brings the odds down to very, very low, I wouldn't say it's a 100% given that Kovalchuk isn't back. Lou would have to bury Pando and Rolston's contracts, but if there's a GM in this league who can make a bad deal disappear, it's him, isn't it?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Arnott back in the day, but going over to a Preds message board and reading their fans' reactions is throwing up a bit of a red flag here - they are pretty ecstatic to have gotten ANYTHING for him. 10 years can make all the difference in the NHL, and I'm not too sure we came out much better in this deal. This could be Rolston 2.0, only with more injuries. Plus we all know how the nostalgia parades have gone for us the last 3-4 years. The only guaranteed positive here is that if he sucks, we only have him for 1 year.

Edited by Amberite

Don't get me wrong, I loved Arnott back in the day, but going over to a Preds message board and reading their fans' reactions is throwing up a bit of a red flag here - they are pretty ecstatic to have gotten ANYTHING for him. 10 years can make all the difference in the NHL, and I'm not too sure we came out much better in this deal. This could be Rolston 2.0, only with more injuries. Plus we all know how the nostalgia parades have gone for us the last 3-4 years. The only guaranteed positive here is that if he sucks, we only have him for 1 year.

Yeah, the link to a Morman choir singing "Hallelujah" was a bit discerning. Still, even though I think the Devils gave up too much, he'll be a quality second line center for this team

I have many thoughts...Part of me strongly suspects he might be able to actually help with communication. I think -- from things he's said, and from his experience, it might be that he can calm things down and translate - keep things touchy feely yet also kind of understand how you have to inject some common sense - see things from managements perspective and suck things up. He'll be an interesting fit with MacLean -- interesting. What are he and Marty going to do here is all I'm thinking.

This from the AP article via NY Times:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2010/06/19/sports/AP-HKN-Devils-Predators-Trade.html?_r=1

New Jersey Devils Reacquire Jason Arnott in Trade

Arnott, who had 19 goals and 27 assists in 63 games last season, waived a no-trade clause in his contract to make the deal happen. After the season, he had given the Predators' management a list of teams he would approve, with the Devils topping his list.

''I am excited,'' Arnott said in a conference call. ''I have always wanted to come back to Jersey at some point in my career and now it has happened, so I am really looking forward to it.''

''I just want to help them win again, that is my main goal,'' said Arnott, who will play for new coach John MacLean this season.

With Arnott the Devil's are bringing in a game changing player. Obviously I don't mean it in the way that Ovechkin or Crosby can change games. This is a Pronger type game changer, and I believe he's the Devil's answer to the signing of Pronger. His 4.5 cap is fairly large, but he sure as hell is one of the best options at center, a position the devil's desperately needed filled. I'm ecstatic about this trade.

Edited by The Facepainter

From Fire & Ice:

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/

During his first stint with the Devils, Arnott centered the team’s famed A Line with Patrik Elias and Petr Sykora on his wings. Arnott called Elias this afternoon to tell him about the trade, but was unable to reach him, so he left a message.

He said he would love a chance to be linemates with Elias again.

“One hundred percent. Absolutely,” he said. “I’ll never forget the fun we had playing on the line together. He’s still an elite player in my mind. It would be fun to play with him again,”

(Lamoriello laughed when I asked if he was going to bring back Sykora, too,)

Arnott mentioned several times the importance of helping younger players learn the game. The Devils will have two young centers in training camp—Jacob Josefson and Adam Henrique—that can benefit from Arnott’s experience.