Devils getting rid of R&R part 2 as their goal song?

DevsMan84

Well so much for the "fan support" that Fall Out Boy, Gaslight Anthem and My Chemical Romance were supposed to get...

And Howl on Twitter too.  None of the social media picks wound up winning.  If the fans picked them then they weren't the fans who go to games cause three of the four were pretty much booed out of the building.  

I really doubt more then 50% of Devils fans voted for Rightous Smoke. Not only is it a band that is not really that well known but that's a pretty over used goal song as well. I just don't see it. It would shock me that if the majority of our fans voted such an obscure song only to boo it during the game. Same goes with Whip (although that was a tad more tolerable)

It's all fishy to me.

Well whatever the vote was was a tiny portion since a good chunk of the votes went to RR2.  But it is fishy when the fans supposedly pick the songs then boo their own picks.

And Howl on Twitter too.  None of the social media picks wound up winning.  If the fans picked them then they weren't the fans who go to games cause three of the four were pretty much booed out of the building.  

The Whip got a better reciption then Bon Jovi or Righteous Smoke but you could certainly tell fans weren't digging it. If this vote was truly not rigged they would have selections that weren't massively booed each time. You can tell what management is up to. They are/were picking safe, family friendly selections that catered to the PC crowd. The choices presented to us were picked in advance and the vote thing was just to make us feel good. If the vote really mattered one of the social media picks would have won because that was going off of fan feedback...which was the whole point of this.

They selected overused goal songs (and that includes SNA...which I liked) and a cheesy Bon Jovi song to go with the "We Are Jersey" theme. And everyone here actually believes FANS chosed these selections?

Bahaha.

By the way, minor gripe, but did anyone else there tonight notice that they're not playing Song 2 after wins now? It's been the victory song for literally as long as I can remember. I just don't get the change for the sake of change.

A lot of the songs fans submitted probably couldn't have been used. Also, it doesn't surprise me at all that common goal songs would have been chosen by fans. I know at least one person who submitted The Whip. I also saw Righteous Smoke being mentioned on HF. Remember, we're talking about all songs in the entire music industry. It's not like fans were given a pre made list.

By the way, minor gripe, but did anyone else there tonight notice that they're not playing Song 2 after wins now? It's been the victory song for literally as long as I can remember. I just don't get the change for the sake of change.

Yea I'm aware. Glory Days is a nice song, but it's a song about baseball. Meh to me. Hells Bells and Yanni were also taken away from us.

A lot of the songs fans submitted probably couldn't have been used. Also, it doesn't surprise me at all that common goal songs would have been chosen by fans. I know at least one person who submitted The Whip. I also saw Righteous Smoke being mentioned on HF. Remember, we're talking about all songs in the entire music industry. It's not like fans were given a pre made list.

Yea I'm aware. Glory Days is a nice song, but it's a song about baseball. Meh to me. Hells Bells and Yanni were also taken away from us.

I view those threads pretty often. Never saw it mentioned. If it was that was ONE fan. Fall Out Boy, MCR and Gaslight certainly got more traction on both forums then that and what was played tonight.

Glory Days was always used after the three stars, Blur before.  Tonight it was 'just' Glory Days after.  In a normal season this would barely get a peep but with all the furor around the goal song and the way that change is being enacted any other little change is going to have a ripple effect as well.

I view those threads pretty often. Never saw it mentioned. If it was that was ONE fan. Fall Out Boy, MCR and Gaslight certainly got more traction on both forums then that and what was played tonight.

These two forums make up about maybe 1% of the whole fan base.

It represents way more than 1% of people who submitted votes though.  The fans that post on these forums are probably more dedicated than most, and so are the ones that send in goal song submissions.  If you think these were actually the top three in votes, even disregarding Rock and Roll Part 2, then you are way too gullible.  It seemed clear to me from the get-go that even though they said they were going to test out the three most voted songs, it was obviously going to be three songs that they found suitable.  Just like when you needed to register for a ticket for the equipment sale at the draft a few years ago, but after registering it just took you to a webpage to print out your ticket, all of which had the exact same barcode and number.  It was just a ploy to get more email addresses into their database.  Did you really think someone was sitting there tallying every vote for every single song?  Come on, now.

Edited by devilsfan26

Geez, do you ever listen to the actual lyrics of songs?  Glory days is NOT about baseball. 

The first verse is about a guy who used to be a terrific pitcher in high school, but is now just another adult who no longer plays, but longs for his "glory days" when he was probably treated like a god by his fellow students. 

The second verse is about a woman who was clearly chased by many men, but is now a divorced mom who's having a hard time with her situation, and wishes she could go back to her youth.

The third verse is about the narrator himself, who used to be a bit of a party boy, but is now just an aging alcoholic (notice how he's drinking in every verse).  He's still caught up in his partying hey-day, and bores people with his "crazy" drinking and partying stories.  Everyone knows a guy like this...the guy who's pushing 40 yet keeps telling drinking stories from his mid-20s, because he can't accept the fact that he's getting older, and refuses to live in the present day.

The chorus basically states that your best days often fly right by you, and hints that you although you tend not to appreciate them as they are happening, you can easily spend the rest of your life pining for something you can never get back.

The song is hardly about baseball.  It's about people who have trouble letting go of their pasts, and are at odds with their presents.  The music and lyrics are actually oxymoronic...the song has a bright and cheerful tone to it, but the lyrics are pretty depressing...if you take the time to listen to them.     

It represents way more than 1% of people who submitted votes though.  The fans that post on these forums are probably more dedicated than most, and so are the ones that send in goal song submissions.  If you think these were actually the top three in votes, even disregarding Rock and Roll Part 2, then you are way too gullible.  It seemed clear to me from the get-go that even though they said they were going to test out the three most voted songs, it was obviously going to be three songs that they found suitable.  Just like when you needed to register for a ticket for the equipment sale at the draft a few years ago, but after registering it just took you to a webpage to print out your ticket, all of which had the exact same barcode and number.  It was just a ploy to get more email addresses into their database.  Did you really think someone was sitting there tallying every vote for every single song?  Come on, now.

In bold:  yeah, pretty much.  The only thing that's really aggravating about it all is the way it continues to get handled.  All they had to do was announce that they were dumping R&R Part 2 in the preseason, then follow that up with "and here's the three songs that are candidates to replace it.  We'll play song#1 at the first home game, song#2 at the next one, then song#3 at the following one.  We will use the one that gets the most positive reaction." 

But, as we know, we got:

1) R&R Part 2 playing during preseason, which led many to think no changes were coming. 

2) Blindsided at Opening Night with a song that seemed to be implemented only because the artist had New Jersey ties, which was an insult to several Jersey folk.  Nothing like new owners who appear to regard their fans as nothing more than a homogenous stereotype who worships anything branded New Jersey. 

3) In reaction to the disaster above (which had ownership had anyone do even miminal research, they would have seen that coming), the Devils allowed fans to enter their own choices.  Though several fans were still pissed at the blindside maneuver, several others applauded this "recovery" move, and were willing to submit good ideas (though some clearly weren't going to let go of R&R Part 2...that's on the fans).

4) Then it becomes obvious that the "YOU pick your song!" thing was a sham, and that the Devils were going to pick three songs that were clearly less far disastrous than "This Is Our House" (this time I'm sure SOME organizational research went into the three choices).  Fine...hell, two of the three songs are light-years better than "This Is Our House"...but most people can see through this pretty easily, which makes we wonder why the Devils didn't just come out and be honest with their fanbase JUST ONCE since this whole thing began.

It always goes back to the same thing...even though several Devils fans wouldn't have liked the sacking of R&R Part 2 the second it was announced, and some would then refuse to give anything else a real chance, if the Devils had just been honest about how they were handling this just ONE DAMNED TIME, fans would be a lot less annoyed by all of this now.  Maybe not happy and thrilled, but definitely less aggravated.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

I did a search to check, Righteous Smoke was literally mentioned one time on HF before it was announced the song was playing, and that was when someone asked whether the Flames played Light Em Up or not.  Literally nobody else mentioned it beforehand, so clearly it wasn't voted for there.

So the one person you know who actually submitted one of the three songs represents 20%?  Come on now.  You can believe what you want, it's probably better to be nieve.  So who, exactly was voting on the songs if it wasn't the fans who actually go to games (since most were universally booed) or the ones that post on message boards?

I did a search to check, Righteous Smoke was literally mentioned one time on HF before it was announced the song was playing, and that was when someone asked whether the Flames played Light Em Up or not.  Literally nobody else mentioned it beforehand, so clearly it wasn't voted for there.

So the one person you know who actually submitted one of the three songs represents 20%?  Come on now.  You can believe what you want, it's probably better to be nieve.  So who, exactly was voting on the songs if it wasn't the fans who actually go to games (since most were universally booed) or the ones that post on message boards?

You really think a large majority of the Rock was booing the other songs?  I was there this past Thursday against Vancouver and only about 10-15% at most of the crowd booed the goal song.

These boards do represent a small minority of Devils fans as a whole.  A lot of fans at the games I talk to don't know about this board or others and many have not even heard of TG.  To a lot of them, just what they read on nj.com, NY Post or whats on the NJ Devils website is the most exposure they get to them outside the game.  They see the goal song contest on the website, vote for a song, and just don't go around to message boards to post what they voted for.

Edited by DevsMan84

yea i truely find it hard to believe that those three songs were really the most suggested songs to the team... theres no way with the amount of people booing the sh!t out of them especially last night i felt .. the song was just so out of place.. i certainly believe that they took some recommendations off of what was submitted but ultimately theyre still using whatever they feel they like best not what the fans have asked for.

I feel like this is voting for the President or members of Congress.  Pick the best out of 3 bad choices ... so Seven Nation Army it is.

LOL yeah. All 3 choices sucked. The silence after the goals was noticeable on TV last night. I could also hear some boos.

My take is that they already picked what they wanted and all of this is just a dog and pony show to try and appease the fans. Even if you take R&R pt. 2 out of the mix (as it most likely was the biggest vote getter of round one) I find it hard to believe the three songs used were 2-4.

I'm not a R&R Pt. 2 hardliner, I know its over for that one, but they could have at least been honest about things and said here pick from these three songs and not bothered with the bogus 'round one'

My take is that they already picked what they wanted and all of this is just a dog and pony show to try and appease the fans. Even if you take R&R pt. 2 out of the mix (as it most likely was the biggest vote getter of round one) I find it hard to believe the three songs used were 2-4.

I'm not a R&R Pt. 2 hardliner, I know its over for that one, but they could have at least been honest about things and said here pick from these three songs and not bothered with the bogus 'round one'

This.

the top three reasons they would have wanted to change for me would be 1)the song was getting old, try and start something new...2)Distance themselves from Gary Glitter and the negative press about his pedophilia (even though he wasn't getting royalties from the song, just the negativeness about who he is) or....3) The new owners, as well as whoever runs the arena now if it's not them, are starting a crack down because they honestly believe ticket revenue will go up if they try to attract families -> therefore parents hate negative chants and swearing so they won't buy tickets to come to a game and subject their kids to words and phrases the kids already know and know the full meanings of just to piss off the rest of us who are having harmless fun at the expense of the other team and its fans - "childish and classless" though some people feel they need to call it.

I'm fine with the first two reasons as long as they would have told people far enough ahead of time what was going on, and not blindside the crowd after the first goal was scored and leave everyone looking around confused ready to continue the tradition that's been in place for years, but they play some other song, so people disapprove and we sound like we're booing our own team for scoring. That was a total fvck up on the part of everyone involved there.

I do not however agree with #3 that just because they own the team and whoever runs the arena can now go on a crackdown to kick out people who start dropping f-bombs, starting chants that involve negativity or sexual innuendo or more or less telling us we have to all be nice to each other. Everyone is offended by something, this is the 21st century. You aren't going to appease everyone. If negativity is so bad, like I saw someone ask on Facebook, "why are they still playing 'Big Girls Don't Cry' then when the other team takes a penalty?" It's all in good fun, and if you don't want to participate nobody's asking you to, but there is absolutely no need to start having Kevin Clark go making announcements about "foul gestures" and being nice to each other 3 or 4 times a game. That offends me. Not that I want to go doing that all the time, but that I'm no longer free to because "they said so"

I'm fine with anything that goes on in the stands so long as it doesn't lead to fist fights.

Want to crack down on people being inoffensive? How about kicking out Ranger fans who yell sh!t out during the National Anthem. That is offensive.