Devils keeping 2012 first rd pick - Official

ghdi

I hate to say it, the only rational reason for not doing it now is Lou doesn't care about two years down the road. We have to win at least two rounds to make it worth it and next year we're out a third as well, so even the same pick would be more costly.

Plus the front office can capitalize on the playoff run and keep the buzz with a draft party lol.

I agree....

We have picked gems late/later than this and will hopefully find another Conte Special...also makes me believe they have a couple in mind going into it

There are potential late first round gems every year, that rationale does nothing for me.

a 1st round pick typically doesn't have an impact for 4-5 years, so 'Lou doesn't care about the future' as a narrative doesn't make any sense - whether he gives up the pick or keeps it, odds are if he ends up taking a player with it, that player will not make the NHL with Lou as GM.

To me this is a good sign. Maybe i'm looking into it too much, but it just seemed so obvious that they should forfeit the pick this year and Lou kept it. I feel like this means there is either some steal in the draft or that Lou is going to use it for some kind or trade at the draft. I can dream that its a trade for Suter's rights and then both Suter and Zach sign here :cheers:

I wrote an article looking at whether the Devils would keep their pick, and I came away thinking they very well might keep it:

http://nhlnumbers.co...-kovalchuk-pick

The difference between 15 and 30 just isn't as great as you might think.

Great article Tri; you brought up a bunch of really good points.

I doubt it, but is there any chance we're keeping this pick to use in a pre-draft trade?

I think Lou expects to eventually have the penalty lifted as part of the new CBA. Its almost as if the NHL needed to come down hard on the Devils as a deterrent until they could completely close the loophole in the labor negotiations at which point they would give them the 1st rounder back. Otherwise, it makes no sense especially with next years draft expected to be deeper.

Edit: I guess another possibility is that they already have the framework of a trade in place that includes the pick. Lindback, Bernier???

Edited by Lateralous

Let's cut the guy some slack, he's made some good moves before. Chances are, he knows a lot more than we do.

At least there'll be a draft party next week :)

Holy CRAP, next week.

I'm so used to the draft, the awards, and free agency being almost two months after our season ends. I can't wrap my head around the fact that it's mid-June. That's AWESOME.

Holy CRAP, next week.

I'm so used to the draft, the awards, and free agency being almost two months after our season ends. I can't wrap my head around the fact that it's mid-June. That's AWESOME.

Holy shot yea.. This offseason is definitely gonna keep us entertained

I think Lou expects to eventually have the penalty lifted as part of the new CBA.

Edit: I guess another possibility is that they already have the framework of a trade in place that includes the pick. Lindback, Bernier???

there is absolutely no way that this penalty gets wiped away. none. your edit is the only thing that makes any sense to me that lou is trading it for a player.

Who for Steve Mason?

Edit: I have a feeling Mason will come here. What is value is? Who knows.

Edit #2. I say this because I'm not sure what our goaltending options are...and here's a kid who has had success in this league with his talent, behind a sh!tty team, sh!tty environment with horrid coaching. He could be a reclamation project. After all he did have Peter DeBoer in Kitchener for a few games. HIs value is low because of his prior injuries too. Also, I'd be in favor of this kid with a guy like Marty and him splitting time and mentoring him. It's the only way I would accept Marty back.

Edited by HellOnICE

i remember people saying the same thing last year about the draft class being weak and at that time saying this years was much deeper....i think the business about this years draft being weak is more in the front end as in no sidney crosby...imo

that being said i am surprised...its potentially a serious risk by lou..lest i remind everyone about our finish only last season and we're running out of 1st rd choices to give up and if it came down to a top 10 vs the 29th would it be a little different

1st and who else for Steve Mason.

Edit #2. I say this because I'm not sure what our goaltending options are...and here's a kid who has had success in this league with his talent, behind a sh!tty team, sh!tty environment with horrid coaching. He could be a reclamation project. After all he did have Peter DeBoer in Kitchener and they won together. Also, I'd be in favor of this kid with a guy like Marty and him splitting time and mentoring him. It's the only way I would accept Marty back.

I like the Mason idea....

I think Marty should come back and play 55 games next year....

1st and who else for Steve Mason.

Edit #2. I say this because I'm not sure what our goaltending options are...and here's a kid who has had success in this league with his talent, behind a sh!tty team, sh!tty environment with horrid coaching. He could be a reclamation project. After all he did have Peter DeBoer in Kitchener and they won together. Also, I'd be in favor of this kid with a guy like Marty and him splitting time and mentoring him. It's the only way I would accept Marty back.

With his contract, I think we could have Mason for a low round pick but I'm not sure he's even worth it. That would be quite a reclamation project.

Who for Steve Mason?

Edit #2. I say this because I'm not sure what our goaltending options are...and here's a kid who has had success in this league with his talent, behind a sh!tty team, sh!tty environment with horrid coaching. He could be a reclamation project. After all he did have Peter DeBoer in Kitchener for a few games. HIs value is low because of his prior injuries too. Also, I'd be in favor of this kid with a guy like Marty and him splitting time and mentoring him. It's the only way I would accept Marty back.

Mason's contract is horrible and even if he is traded, which I doubt, because he's just that bad, how could you possibly qualify him as an RFA next year at that price?

trade it to nashville with tedenby, urbom and another draftpick for rights to radulov and lindback and halischuk.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER

My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS

Zach Parise ($7.000m) / Travis Zajac ($3.888m) / Alexander Radulov ($4.000m)

Adam Henrique ($0.854m) / Patrik Elias ($6.000m) / Ilya Kovalchuk ($6.667m)

Dainius Zubrus ($3.400m) / Jacob Josefson ($0.900m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)

Ryan Carter ($0.800m) / Stephen Gionta ($0.750m) / Matt Halischuk ($0.713m)

Eric Boulton ($0.663m) /

DEFENSEMEN

Henrik Tallinder ($3.375m) / Marek Zidlicky ($4.000m)

Andy Greene ($3.000m) / Mark Fayne ($2.850m)

Anton Volchenkov ($4.250m) / Adam Larsson ($0.925m)

Peter Harrold ($0.750m) /

GOALTENDERS

Martin Brodeur ($3.500m)

Anders Lindback ($2.000m)

BUYOUTS

Colin White ($1.000m) / Trent Hunter ($0.667m)

------

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)

(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $70,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,616,666; BONUSES: $262,500

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $5,683,334