Gelinas Called Up - Marty Talks Trade Again - Chere

msweet

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.. if it happens you heard it here first ;) dont call me crazy too quickly..just remember i said it

I personally would wait to trade him until Schneider is re-upped.  I do believe Kinkaid has the tools to be a solid goalie in the league.  Preferably, Schneider gets extended, but Kinkain as a contingency plan isn't bad either.

Link to the article that speculates that Kinkaid may be the goalie traded from New Jersey. http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-trade-deadline-keith-kinkaid-martin-brodeur-will-traded/

Not really familiar with The Hockey Writers or author Leo Scaglione. I find it interesting but I take it as a writer's speculation piece as opposed to anything concrete. Kinkaid has been solid in Albany this season so his performance may give Lou the option to include him on a deal. Who knows though.

Edited by montec24

Link to the article that speculates that Kinkaid may be the goalie traded from New Jersey. http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-trade-deadline-keith-kinkaid-martin-brodeur-will-traded/

Not really familiar with The Hockey Writers or author Leo Scaglione. I find it interesting but I take it as a writer's speculation piece as opposed to anything concrete. Kinkaid has been solid in Albany this season so his performance may give Lou the option to include him on a deal. Who knows though.

It's actually not a bad theory. Although, they're kind of selling Schneider a little short, in that he's an elite goalie, which you can't really count on any goalie prospect to be. But still, it certainly makes a lot more sense for Kinkaid to be part of a package deal than any team wanting Marty as a rental.

This site though, as I recall, is fairly second rate. They did a preseason review of the Devils either this year or last year where Kowalsky was described as the Devils (NJ) head coach. I also seem to recall when evaluating the system they left out a major prospect, could have been Merrill.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why is Larsson still in Albany, My faith in LL is really strained right now, he has ha more than eniough time to make moves to get all 3 rooks in the NHL, Larsson in Albany is a waste of talent and a waste of time.

Might be time for LL to step aside, the game might have passed him by...

Edited by redruM

Why is Larsson still in Albany, My faith in LL is really strained right now, he has ha more than eniough time to make moves to get all 3 rooks in the NHL, Larsson in Albany is a waste of talent and a waste of time.

Might be time for LL to step aside, the game might have out grown him...

I'd rather have Larsson up here than Gelinas.

Might be time for LL to step aside, the game might have passed him by...

For all we know, Lou has already sat Larrson down to explain the situation, and has been trying to move a defenseman for the past three months.

It's easy to blame Lou for the results (or lack thereof), but we have literally no clue what's going on behind the scenes.

Edited by Devilsfan118

For all we know, Lou has already sat Larrson down to explain the situation, and has been trying to move a defenseman for the past three months.

It's easy to blame Lou for what the results (or lack thereof), but we have literally no clue what's going on behind the scenes.

This. There may not be much market for Volch, Fayne, Zidlicky, etc until the deadline when teams are forced to make a decision. The idea that Lou is sitting around twiddling his thumbs is ridiculous. A lot of people were accusing him of that when the Kovy trade came out of nowhere. I'm not saying I expect anything like that, but I'm saying he isn't the most predictable guy.

All I know is its time for one of these other fvcktard teams to take one of our sh!tbag d-men like Sal or Harrold (Volch to a lesser extent, because he's actually been serviceable this year). I don't care if they even give us anything back, just take one of them. I'll take a roll of tape and a skate sharpener, just get one of these wastes of space off the roster already.

I think a lot of people are just wondering why Gelinas and Merrill are getting lot's of ice time in NJ while Larsson stays in the AHL. Not that I don't think they've been great for what they bring, just kind of curious as to why Larsson stays down.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

All I know is its time for one of these other fvcktard teams to take one of our sh!tbag d-men like Sal or Harrold (Volch to a lesser extent, because he's actually been serviceable this year). I don't care if they even give us anything back, just take one of them. I'll take a roll of tape and a skate sharpener, just get one of these wastes of space off the roster already.

lou dropped the ball here, he could have stipulated that on kovy's release, the KHL , on order of Putin himself, would recall volchenkov to the homeland.  oh well, now we have to make sal disappear......

It's easy to blame Lou for the results (or lack thereof), but we have literally no clue what's going on behind the scenes.

I'm blaming LL for over paying for guys like Vol and now they occupy a roster spot that we need for Larsson, and that contract is not tradeable!

That's LL fault, no one else.

I'm blaming LL for over paying for guys like Vol and now they occupy a roster spot that we need for Larsson, and that contract is not tradeable!

Devils needed a guy like Volchenkov at the time, and he was only 28 years old when he was signed...overpaying in both dollars and term is how it usually goes with UFAs, unfortunately.  

A lot of people liked the signing at the time.  Lou probably didn't want to go six years, but again, that's how it tends to go with UFAs.  

Has Volch's contract really been that bad though?  I mean, he's contributed to the logjam at D, but I don't think he's been horribly bad so far.  For a 6 year deal, the Devils have gotten pretty goood value so far imo.

These last two might get ugly though.

Edited by Devilsfan118

The Volchenkov signing wasn't that bad. As already stated, he was 28 and had been a solid shut down d-man and shotblocker. If you want to sign a free agent, you have to understand that there may be extra years on it to convince them to sign.

Additionally, Larsson wasn't even a thought in the summer of 2010, so those 2 things aren't even connected.

Salvador needed to walk after the cup run really. We we're not sure what we had in our kids yet at that point and when they could jump in the NHL but we could have certainly try them or get someone cheaper than Salvador for a few more years. 

Having Larsson rotting in the AHL is absolutely disgusting. 

Salvador needed to walk after the cup run really. We we're not sure what we had in our kids yet at that point and when they could jump in the NHL but we could have certainly try them or get someone cheaper than Salvador for a few more years. 

Having Larsson rotting in the AHL is absolutely disgusting. 

I think he was kept mostly because he is considered a leader in the locker room and of the defense. When Langenbrunner was traded and there were interviews of players over who should be the next captain, and the most common answers were Parise, Salvador, and Kovalchuk. He was the defacto leader of the "no-name defense."

Also, at the time he was coming off a solid season even if you don't look at the playoffs. He played all 82 games for the Devils in 2011-12 and was pretty solid all year. Then that summer, Parise is on the verge of leaving, and I don't think the Devils wanted to risk losing 2 important pieces like that in the same week. The 3rd year on the contract sucks, but it's part of free agent negotiation sometimes. The 3.1 hit isn't far off considering what his year before the signing was like.

Volchenkov's contract and play are not the problem at all.

There is no question in ANYONE's mind that Salvador is far and away the worst defender on this team. But that C makes him invincible.

Admittedly, I am biased but Volchenkov brings a dimension that nobody else on the defense (including the 3 kids) - namely a defensive presence that hits, is positionally sound, is very good on the PK and along the walls.

I am a huge fan of larsson and hate that he's in the minors, but is he truly better than what they're getting out of fayne right now? probably not. so that's fine that he's not here. i can appreciate the need to get gelinas in the lineup. I think merrill has been very good. zidlicky we know what we're getting but he fills a need. and greene is the best defender on the team.

salvador is an abortion of a hockey player right now no matter whether you used "advanced stats" or "eyes."