2873 replies to this topic

#2301 Triumph

Triumph

A Legend

• Mod
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,918 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:15 PM

This is the one argument I don't get. Minnesota IS a contender now. Koivu, Heatley, Parise, Suter.

Minnesota is not a contender. They are a fringe playoff team. They need a LOT of help to be a Cup contender.

http://drivingplay.blogspot.com - The blog with three first lines

#2302 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,426 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

This is the one argument I don't get. Minnesota IS a contender now. Koivu, Heatley, Parise, Suter.

They're a better team, but a contender? Parise didn't do it alone here. Suter has never played in the NHL without Shea Weber. Josh Harding is not terrible, but he's not shown that he can win a lot of games either. Suter is the only good defenseman they have since they traded Burns to San Jose. Their top pairing before Suter was Tom Gilbert and Justin Falk. They have some good players, no question, but they have NO depth. 1-2 scoring lines and 1 defenseman aren't a contender. They're a borderline playoff team.

They're a 5th-8th seed right now at best, but not an 8th like LA was this year. They may even be able to squeeze into a 3rd seed if they win the division, but Vancouver is still good, Colorado will be better, and if Edmonton breaks out with all the talent they have its not going to be easy. I wont mention Calgary since they're basically like the slow kid that everyone makes fun of.

#2303 Satans Hockey

Satans Hockey

A Legend

• Members
  • 11,249 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:18 PM

I hope we give out the number 9 to someone this year too.

#2304 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

Minnesota is not a contender. They are a fringe playoff team. They need a LOT of help to be a Cup contender.

I guess I agree with that - but it's kind of what I meant. What I mean is that they will be a good team now consistently. Not Cup contenders, but a playoff team imo.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2305 Devilsfan118

Devilsfan118

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,160 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

I said this in the other thread, but can you guys imagine how anemic the offense would be had the Devils let Kovalchuk walk a few years ago? Yikes

believe-ll.jpg

Anyone who says, ‘You played in that New York area,’ I say, ‘No, I played in New Jersey.’ - Ken Daneyko

#2306 MDPucks

MDPucks

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:20 PM

You could say the same thing about LA up until Sutter took over. Sure they had a lot of talent that wasn't being utilized but you can say the same about Minnesota in many ways. With the new CBA probably giving amnesty on at least one contract plus a new cap floor there will be ample opportunities for teams like Minnesota to get out of jail so to speak quickly.

#2307 Devils731

Devils731

A Legend

• Members
  • 17,518 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:23 PM

I guess I agree with that - but it's kind of what I meant. What I mean is that they will be a good team now consistently. Not Cup contenders, but a playoff team imo.

Minny was -49 in goal differential last season, they're going to need better performances and additional additions beyond Parise/Suter to be a solid playoff team. Right now they could make the playoffs next year, but they could miss it too, I feel.
Your unconditional rejection of violence makes you smugly think of yourselves as noble, as enlightened, but in reality it is nothing less than abject moral capitulation to evil. Unconditional rejection of self-defense, because you think its a supposed surrender to violence, leaves you no resort but begging for mercy or offering appeasement.

-Terry Goodkind

Sex Panther cologne -- 50 percent of the time, it works every time.

-Anchorman

The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago. The second best time is now.

-Anonymous

Keeper of Section 212-213's wayward step

#2308 Neb00rs

Neb00rs

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,411 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:25 PM

Minny was -49 in goal differential last season, they're going to need better performances and additional additions beyond Parise/Suter to be a solid playoff team. Right now they could make the playoffs next year, but they could miss it too, I feel.

Impossible to predict based on last year anything. They are a completely different team with these guys. The biggest question in my mind is whether or not Mike Yeo needs to be fired.

gallery_47_36_882.png of No One
Proud to be King of the Kovalnuts (Est. June 2010 by MantaRay)

#2309 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,612 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

Parise said he and Suter talked during the year about finding a way to play together. "We kept in touch throughout this process."

He knew what he wanted for a long time now.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#2310 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:29 PM

I wish Zach well.

He looked at the Devils with two ageing goalies for two years with no take over goalie in the NHL. Elias and Zajac probably leaving next season. A team in financial bankruptcy. He gets offered $98 M for 13 years. I am sure the Devils weren't close with the money. In a NY heartbeat you take that offer.

Best wishes Zach Parise.

Next: Kovy gets the "C" and the Devils move on, Vanderbeek prays he can keep the team.

We will be OK, we have Marty in goal for 70 games/season.

Why do you wish him well? He plays for the competition (another NHL team).

Elliotte Friedman @FriedgeHNIC

Parise said he and Suter talked during the year about finding a way to play together. "We kept in touch throughout this process."

He knew what he wanted for a long time now.

That's pretty disingenuous of him. And while wearing the captain's c

#2311 oconnellrules

oconnellrules

Rookie Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Minnesota has no legit dmen outside suter. theyre still years away from contention

cmon marty

#3 #4 #27 #30 #26

#2312 SterioDesign

SterioDesign

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 7,159 posts

Parise: "I'm a loyal person."

fvck you ok.

Parise said he heard about fan support to keep him in NJ. "Great fans in NJ. As far as going back there, it's going to be pretty unique."

yes. yes it will.

Edited by SterioDesign, 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM.

www.SterioDesign.com

#2313 Default

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

He's loyal to the community he grew up in.

#2314 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,916 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:32 PM

Down Goes Brown posted an interesting link on Twitter to a list of 27 year old players in the league 13 years ago:

http://www.hockey-re...al=&order_by=ps

Number of goals in an NHL game last season? 0.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#2315 Parisalchuk

Parisalchuk

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

Might wanna change your name as well. Maybe Zajachuk or something.

Crap I forgot about my name. Will have to change it later when I can get to a computer.

#2316 cubanjd305

cubanjd305

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:34 PM

He should've volunteered to be part of the Zidlicky trade if he knew he wanted to be a Wild (like it seems he did). Not cool to use the team you were a Captain of and got to the Finals with to get more money from your hometown team. A bunch of people thought we'd suck last year when we had him and look where we got, no thanks to his -8 and 1 GWG. We'll be just fine. Thanks for never winning sh!t here Zach.

believe-3devils.jpg

#2317 lazer

lazer

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

devils went to SCF with zach already in minny.
Posted Image

#2318 twillms73

twillms73

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

Here's hoping he has the same success as Gomez. Of course, I'm in the running for the Orlando Solar Bears' broadcaster job(Wild's ECHL club), so, I might change my mind LOL
Tom Willms
IYMSportsRadio.com

#2319 CaptainRafalski

CaptainRafalski

Albany Devil

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 253 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:36 PM

This playing with suter stuff is kind of little leaguish

He should've volunteered to be part of the Zidlicky trade if he knew he wanted to be a Wild (like it seems he did). Not cool to use the team you were a Captain of and got to the Finals with to get more money from your hometown team. A bunch of people thought we'd suck last year when we had him and look where we got, no thanks to his -8 and 1 GWG. We'll be just fine. Thanks for never winning sh!t here Zach.

100 percent

#2320 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,429 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

Poor Zajac got dumped. Maybe this will finally give him an edge and we'll have the Peluso/Holik version of a slapfight.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users