‏Zach Parise has agreed to terms with the Minnesota Wild

Daniel

That's if you buy Zach's line about the Devils being second on his list. I don't know if I'd take anything he said at face value after today.

Everyone around him as echoed that. But like I said from the start, it's always good PR to say the team you just played for was in the mix to the last second. But we do know that most of the teams were told earlier they were out including the Penguins last night. I think it's pretty cool that Zach passed on some crazy situations including the Penguins and Flyers. It came down to him really wanting to play at home on a team that was competitive enough.

Edited by devilsrule33

but yeah you are right, it's happened way too much over the years. Parise, Gionta, Martin, Gomez, Holik, Neids, list goes on and on. It's frustrating.

The only good contract of those was Nieds. The other times, they got more than they were worth. As has been said, Lou tried to get Zach locked down before the 1 for a fair deal in the hopes that Zach wouldn't sign a stupid one when he saw it. Zach's agents realized he was going to get a stupid deal (or Zach always wanted to go to Minny). Nothing is better than signing Zach at a high cap hit for 13 years.

Lou got Elias for a fair amount. Marty too. He survived the near disaster with Kovy, though I still think it's too many years. Meanwhile, he's got Zajac and Henrique, and will hopefully keep them for the long term.

I don't care about winning the back page. The Rags do that. The Habs and Leafs do too. How many cups have they won since '94? Lou wins hockey games because he doesn't make stupid signings for the sake of saying he signed someone. Remember, Boston probably felt the same way when they lost Kessel. They haven't missed the playoffs since, and won a cup. Toronto hasn't made it. I know the circumstances aren't identical -- Parise was UFA, and maybe it would have been better to lose him when he was RFA and gotten compensation, but the fact is, we're better off than Minnesota right now, if worse than we were yesterday.

Finally, we didn't lose that much. Parenteau is a blow, but if our future rides on P.A. Parenteau, we're in terrible shape. We may get Semin or one of the RFAs or trade for someone from Edmonton, or we may wait a few years, but, no matter what has gone wrong, Lou has kept our franchise one of the two best in hockey for 15+ years. Even with ownership issues, I believe this organization is in great shape now, at least as long as Lou doesn't decide to retire and operate a Panera somewhere, and I'm sure we will win a cup before fvcking Minnesota.

And just so everybody knows, I'm leaving town tomorrow for a couple weeks, so if you disagree and I don't respond, don't take it the wrong way.

Edited by mouse

Of the three Holik, Gionta, Gomez, Holik was the one Lou played the hardest for and lost out because of the money. Gomez was never offered a contract and Gionta went to the highest bidder where Lou had a max he was going to give him.

So the only ones we've really "lost" are Holik, Nieds, and Parise. The rest of them Lou either wasn't willing to pay what they got (and for the most part guessed correctly) or were not staying to begin with. The three we lost because a. Holik was greedy and we still won a Cup after he fled. b. Nieds took less to go play with Rob and c. Zachy wanted to go home and got a contract none of us would've been thrilled about had he got it here.

It sucks to lose names and guys we grow accustomed to rooting for, but we've been able to re-load and still be competitive. We've kept Marty. We've kept Elias. And we gotta hope that Kovy continues to produce and play up to that contract. Hopefully Henrique is the real deal and we can lock him up. At the end of the day, the biggest loss is Niedermayer. He's the only HOF'er out of the bunch with Zach a potential borderline HOF'er if even that.

It's the same as talking to a tree. You keep perpetuating this fantasy that Lou didnt try to sign him. He did. And Zachs agents told him to wait for free agency. That's what their job is.

I really dont want to go back at this again and annoy everyone with this again but you clearly didnt understand my point (which was pretty damn simple)

Give me a time and we'll meet and argue in the chat so we dont annoy everyone else. deal?

cause it would be pretty damn long

so from all our first round picks from the last 17 years... we have Sykora, Zajac, Josefson, Larsson... sometimes Tedenby left on our team

another point... obviously all we're gonna hear about our players in interviews about Zach is good things and that he made a decision bla bla bla... but im REALLY curious to know what they are saying about him between each others right now...

Edited by SterioDesign

people really dont think suter is elite?

all i hear is how they overpaid, hes nothing without weber, hes not assertive enough, etc.

if you watch him play you know how good he is. the fact of the matter is he got the years and money that puck moving dmen get these days (ie: brian campbells last contract)

zachs contract is the joke.

all i hear is how they overpaid, hes nothing without weber, hes not assertive enough, etc.

if you watch him play you know how good he is. the fact of the matter is he got the years and money that puck moving dmen get these days (ie: brian campbells last contract)

I agree and said earlier that that I felt Suter's contract was the better of the two. Defenseman can last longer and Zach's tenacity could be what ends his career before this contract is 3/4 through. The one area I'd disagree on is that Suter has never played in the NHL without Shea Weber. Weber is by and large the better of the two. It remains to be seen what Suter is with 5 cogs. They dont have Brent Burns anymore because they traded him.

Edited by ghdi

I think they are both great talents and I don't see either contract as being awful, but as much as they'll be hyped, I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Wild make the playoffs next year. They have a long way to go to be a real contender which is what makes this so frustrating. Parise and Suter both said it was all about the opportunity to win and there are about 20 other teams closer than the Wild. Oh well, I'll be rooting hard for them to miss the playoffs, especially if the Devils and Preds can have similar seasons to the past year.

I was really sad and disappointed when this happened earlier, but I have to say that after taking some time to think it over, we really made out well today. Granted, we are really screwed in the short term, but this is a temporary setback and we'll be a much better team down the line. Minnesota GROSSLY overpaid for Suter and Parise, and while it will make them better in the immediate future, these two contracts will haunt them for many years sooner than they realize.

Make no mistake, $7.5M cap hit for both of these guys is laughable. Even in his prime, Parise is a very borderline $7.5M player, and he is already showing signs that he is only good for 70-80 points. In 5 years, he'll be a 50 point player and it will only go down from there. Suter is an even worse overpayment, as a large part of his success was Weber, who he won't have now. Suter is also not close to a game changer in the mold of Niedermeyer, Pronger, Lidstrom, etc, and yet he's getting paid like it.

In the end of the day, we did NOT want these contracts, and Minnesota really made a mistake today. They are only marginally closer to being a playoff team, yet still very far from being a true contender. And to make matters worse, they've really sold out their future. The Devils are definitely in worse shape today than they were yesterday, but Parise is not such a truly elite player (ala Kovalchuk) where it will be impossible to replace him with some time.

In the end, we'll be fine, and we'll be better for it.

Listened to interviews with LeBrun, Dreger, and Arnott today. Here are some interesting tidbits from them:

- Suter told teams that he wanted to be on his farm July 1st and if any team came up there, they would be out of the running. He eventually met with Detroit the next day because he was very interested.

- While Parise was camped out in his Toronto office, the only team that ever got a face-to-face meeting was the Devils and Lou Lamoriello the days before free agency.

- Philly offered both players well over $100 million for both players. And while it seems that the Flyers offered both the most, it never seemed like they had a chance at either.

- Chicago was in heavy for Parise and Suter, but Suter had no interest at all, and Parise passed

- Ken Holland told Pierre LeBrun that he would have matched Minny for Suter, if given the chance. They desperately wanted Suter.

- Like everyone has said, Suter and Parise only started talking about this on the evening of July 2nd. There might have been discussions before in the year, but this only got serious after two days of hearing offers. This was not something they started free agency really thinking about or talking to teams about possibly doing.

- Pittsburgh was 100% told they were out last night.

- Parise was offered possibly more by Minny, but it was important to him that he and Suter had identical deals.

- Unlike Lou, David Poile felt totally blindsided. He never thought Suter would go anywhere else. He even took a big run at Parise too. Was devastated that Suter never gave him the opportunity to match because he probably would. There is a general feeling that Weber will be gone now too. This isn't about a team not being able to afford their stars. They just want to go elsewhere. Poile won't make the same mistake again, and expect Weber to be dealt sometime during the year like Kovalchuk was if a deal can't be reached.

- In the end, these two guys wanted to go home to Minny and play together. Even though they got huge deals there, this money would have come from anywhere and some of the best teams in the league were after both.

- The bonuses were not something that was a must and not something they asked each team. Seemed like something Minny was interested in doing to entice both players.

- As for collusion: None of the insiders seem to really care. Sighted Jordan Staal and Eric talking. Wondering when Marc joins them. It's not against CBA rules so no big deal. "Something that has always gone and always will."

Edited by devilsrule33

I think I've calmed down. My heart hurts though. It really does. I REALLY don't want to hate Zach but I cannot help it now. Man, this just... sucks.

Feels like some douchenozzle just ran off with your high school sweet heart that you were with well before she was super hot, back when she had braces, weird and plenty of people passed her up. fvck. I have three Parise shirts I'll never wear again. I was at the Rock after they got off the bus in the finals. In ear shot of Parise screaming 'Don't worry' and smiling. fvck.

I've said some stupid things and I know a lot of emotions are being unleashed here, but, we are going to need each other to get through this. No time to feel sorry for ourselves.

Stan Fischler@StanFischler

If I'm not mistaken, Semin's agents are in New Jersey

Is that a real tweet?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Suter wanted to play out west or in the western conference? Tennesee is more southeast last time I checked.

I still can't fathom that Zach wouldn't tell Suter to come play for the Eastern Conference champs instead of going to Minnesota. Fvck them and the Mary Tyler Moore show!

Is that a real tweet?

Stupid stupid stupid.

Suter wanted to play out west or in the western conference? Tennesee is more southeast last time I checked.

I still can't fathom that Zach wouldn't tell Suter to come play for the Eastern Conference champs instead of going to Minnesota. Fvck them and the Mary Tyler Moore show!

My friend texted me it so hopefully

Sherrys on a roll...

Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ

Uses for your old Parise shirt: Wait for Halloween, go out with a shopping bag stuffed with $100 million in Monopoly money

Sherry Ross ‏@SherryDarlingNJ

Uses for your old Parise shirt: Stand on your head, pretend it's an Andy Greene jersey.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.