2013-2014 Lineup/Roster Thread

devilsrule33

Why is there no way that this happens?  I think it's the most likely thing that happens.

I'd just be shocked if he put Elias on the 4th line with one other forward. I know he mentioned that the other 3 lines were playing well enough that it be hard to split them...that seems fine when you can have Loktionov in with Elias and Boucher, but now with 11 forwards? 

So hypothetically, Elias is on the 4th line with Boucher, how many minutes does he get? Sislo and Boucher seemed to be getting 8 minutes max. That won't cut it with Elias now, so there is going to be a lot of work to rotate double shifting other players to get Elias his 14-15 minutes minimum. 

I'd just be shocked if he put Elias on the 4th line with one other forward. I know he mentioned that the other 3 lines were playing well enough that it be hard to split them...that seems fine when you can have Loktionov in with Elias and Boucher, but now with 11 forwards? 

So hypothetically, Elias is on the 4th line with Boucher, how many minutes does he get? Sislo and Boucher seemed to be getting 8 minutes max. That won't cut it with Elias now, so there is going to be a lot of work to rotate double shifting other players to get Elias his 14-15 minutes minimum. 

They could do a lot of things with Elias.  One thing I could easily see is him replacing Zubrus for a few shifts on the Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr line.  That + PP + SH time would get him up to 15 minutes.  Or they could use Boucher on that line and go with Elias-Gionta-Bernier again, leaving Carter and Zubrus as extras.  

Edited by Triumph

They could do a lot of things with Elias. One thing I could easily see is him replacing Zubrus for a few shifts on the Zubrus-Zajac-Jagr line. That + PP + SH time would get him up to 15 minutes. Or they could use Boucher on that line and go with Elias-Gionta-Bernier again, leaving Carter and Zubrus as extras.

yeah I'm sure Elias will find his ice time, plus there have been times where it seems like Pete likes to split the cbgb line for a few shifts (or games) and then reunite them as if it somehow sparks them up again.

I agree with most that with Elias needing to be eased back in the seven d thing is tough but honestly I like the flexibility Pete has had to play with his defensive pairings in certain situations. As I said yesterday I don't think we're going back to 6 d anytime soon.

When Brunner gets back: 9 D, six spots

Sal, Volch, Gelinas, Fanye, Greene, Zidlicky, Larsson, Merill, Harrold

Send Harry down, sit one of Sal/Volch, rotating door between Gelinas, Merill and Fanye.

Really need to trade one of these guys.

The D logjam in the entire organization is insane. Going by current assignments:

NHL (8): Volchenkov, Salvador, Greene, Zidlicky, Fayne, Merrill, Harrold, Gelinas

AHL (9): Larsson, Urbom, Helgeson, Burlon, Hrabarenka, Scarlett, McPherson, Kelly, Young

Albany's all healthy and been using 7 D with Young as the scratch (as he should be, or just ECHL him) and Hrabarenka, Burlon, and Urbom as a rotating scratch. Shame it's cutting into Hrabarenka's time since he's been doing well since his promotion to the AHL.

Agree with Tri. Zuby-Zajac-Jagr has slowed down a bit, so if they aren't really going early I could see trying elias in for zubs for a while.

not that i dont like zubrus on that line..but i think that line could really be a lethal combination with elias in for him

Im not seeing the love for clowe, his flashes (10%) are hardly making up for the other 90% of the time where the game is being played nowhere near him!

zube and travis play too similar a role on that line (possessors) drop zubie down.  but as an EXTRA FORWARD?? really. what does that mean?

henrique is moving well again, keep he and ryder together but add help which clowe doesnt bring

get brunner and larsson back, dont let gelly and merrill see the ice together. merrills a good puck carrier and I like his escape moves, but he needs work on defensive positioning and finishing his passes, Im old school in terms of D pairing (from the orr/awry days) pair a mover with a stay home. fayne green, larson/merrill, sal zid

Edited by EdgeControl

Im not seeing the love for clowe, his flashes (10%) and hardly making up for the other 90% of the time where the game is being played nowhere near him!

zube and travis play too similar a role on that line (possessors) drop zubie down.  but as an EXTRA FORWARD?? really. what does that mean?

henrique is moving well again, keep he and ryder together but add help which clowe doesnt bring

get brunner and larsson back, dont let gelly and merrill see the ice together. merrills a good puck carrier and I like his escape moves, but he needs work on defensive positioning and finishing his passes, Im old schiil in terms of D pairing (from the orr/awry days) pair a mover with a stay home. fayne green, larson/merrill, sal zid

agree with pretty much this whole post here.. i dont think gelly and Merrill should be together ..spread the youth with the older guys to find an even balance

Brodeur tonight. A little surprised but with how everything has went this year, you can't be too shocked.

Found this funny from TG's latest blog:

“I think he’s handled it well,” DeBoer said. “Obviously, he would like to play every night. He’s got that mindset, but I think he has made some adjustments in that mindset based on the fact that Cory’s here and how well Cory’s played. But I think he realizes that (when he’s) fresh he’s at a different level.”

DeBoer acknowledges “they’re difficult decisions” when it comes to selecting Brodeur or Schneider as his starter for each game, but says, “I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

“I wouldn’t trade places with a team with two average goaltenders to not have to deal with it,” he said. “That’s how I look at it. It’s a nice problem to have to deal with.”

The Devils don't have a Tim Thomas/Tuukka Rask situation here. You don't have two great goalies, Pete. You have a very good one and one below average one. This sh!t isn't rocket science. There isn't a fvcking problem.

Edited by devilsrule33

Also from TG's blog, DeBoer on Gionta:

:blink:

Meanwhile Josefson hasn't played in about a month. Pretty sure Josefson wouldn't join both defensemen behind his own net.

I think I have been posting this stuff for 3 months right now. The young guys just never had a chance with Pete. He has his favourites and it's pretty much impossible for anyone else to get a shot to prove they can do better. And Gionta can simply do no wrong. At least Pete is saying that he becomes ineffective when playing so much. But it's the ridiculous over the top praise he gives some of these guys that can really annoy you.

Meanwhile Josefson can 7-8 minutes with Janssen and gets yanked out. Nobody is going to be able to impress playing 6-7 minutes a night.

Going into the season I saw 3 issues:

Brodeur blocking Schneider

Salvador blocking a young defenseman

Gionta blocking Josefson

The third one isn't that big a problem. But Larsson in the minors right now is awful, and so does the discrepancy in Cory and Marty's numbers without the discrepancy in games

In Pete's defense vis-a-vis the goalies, CR's numbers a couple days ago showed that Brodeur's actually kept up with Cory over their last eight starts apiece.  They've each BEEN very good for a month.  Marty was obviously going to play another game or two before the Winter Classic anyway.

The third one isn't that big a problem. But Larsson in the minors right now is awful, and so does the discrepancy in Cory and Marty's numbers without the discrepancy in games

The Larsson thing is the biggest issue I have right now...but I blame Lou on that more than Pete.  He's dragged his feet for TWO YEARS with this defensive logjam.

I think I have been posting this stuff for 3 months right now. The young guys just never had a chance with Pete. He has his favourites and it's pretty much impossible for anyone else to get a shot to prove they can do better. And Gionta can simply do no wrong. At least Pete is saying that he becomes ineffective when playing so much. But it's the ridiculous over the top praise he gives some of these guys that can really annoy you.

Meanwhile Josefson can 7-8 minutes with Janssen and gets yanked out. Nobody is going to be able to impress playing 6-7 minutes a night.

Going into the season I saw 3 issues:

Brodeur blocking Schneider

Salvador blocking a young defenseman

Gionta blocking Josefson

Agree with everything you said.

I do understand that DeBoer's job is all about wins and losses and not player development, but damn is it frustrating to see a 22 year old like Josefson to have only played in 16 games, averaging 10:10, and his most common linemate being Janssen (44:36) having to sit in favor of a guy who is pretty much in the NHL because of his last name. Gionta was below the 25th percentile every year in his AHL career in production so it's not like he even had a strong track record down there. There is also no way I'm convinced Gionta is a better defensive player than Josefson.

Larsson being in the AHL is a crime right now. I agree with NJDevs4978 that it is really Lou's fault.

Also from TG's blog, DeBoer on Gionta:

:blink:

Meanwhile Josefson hasn't played in about a month. Pretty sure Josefson wouldn't join both defensemen behind his own net.

Gionta's been a better player than Josefson for the last two years.  Whether you want to blame Pete or not in terms of not giving Josefson much of a chance this year (he had one last year), it is what it is at this point.  And if Pete was being that unreasonable with his praise of Gio the guys in the locker room would start rolling their eyes.  It's possible he's popular in the room so that's part of the reason he gets the favored son treatment.

Gionta's been a better player than Josefson for the last two years.  Whether you want to blame Pete or not in terms of not giving Josefson much of a chance this year (he had one last year), it is what it is at this point.  And if Pete was being that unreasonable with his praise of Gio the guys in the locker room would start rolling their eyes.  It's possible he's popular in the room so that's part of the reason he gets the favored son treatment.

I strongly disagree.

Being jerked in and out of the line up and being scrutinized for your every move isn't easy as a 21 or 22 year old. Gionta isn't good at any facet of the game. Even Josefson not providing offense will at least make the better defensive reads and he is much better in passing and possession.

Why would players in the locker room roll their eyes? Guys like Gionta always tend to be popular in the locker room, it doesn't mean they are good. Some of the most popular players on teams I played on were the sh!tty guys because they brought "energy."

The bottom line is this: Lou needs to move a defenseman out of here- and sooner rather than later would be preferable. Enough is enough. There's no way on earth Larsson should be in Albany right now. It's a fvcking crime and I feel bad for the kid.

exactly.. and not that i want to see larsson traded but if he is going to just be left in albany to rot away anyway id rather even have him traded if it is going to get us back a decent return that is going to help us up front.