A Look to the Future: 2014 UFAs

RizzMB30

http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents?year_id=2014&team_id=-1&position_id=-1&fa_type_id=2
CapGeek link to all the 2014 free agents.  I remember someone in the Jagr or Brunner thread mentioning a lot of 1 year deals and maybe Lou looking to lock up long term then.  Regardless, there are a lot of interesting names.  Who do you think might get resigned with their current teams.  When I get time, I'll actually make a comment as well.  

Edited by RizzMB30

It's always a team like Flyers/or Rag$ that will bring in a Heatley, for stupid $$$ assuming once he dons that marvelous sweater, it'll resurrect his career. Only to be praised two years later for "getting rid" of said contract

I remember in discussions on the forum about trading for Hemsky or Vanek, well their both off the books next year, so it will interesting to see where they end up at the deadline.  Idk about Kessel, I can't see Pavelski leaving SJ.  Same with the Sedins, because they're a package deal still im assuming.  The one player I'd like to see leave the Rags moreso than Lundquist is Callahan.  He's like a Clarkson, but 1st line player at times.  He would be an interesting target, "Hey, tired of blocking all of those shots and LOSING?".  Vanek would be an interesting player to lure if he takes a pay cut, because he can get Kessel money. 

I'm very surprised that the Rangers have yet to lock down Henrik Lundqvist.  I guess they need to know where Stepan comes in first, but still, I'm surprised.

What's more intriguing is that Sather said at least 5-6 weeks ago that he'd started negotiations with Lundqvist to lock him up this offseason. At the time, I wondered why the hell Lundqvist or his agent would sign a contract this offseason. He's clearly going to be one of the highest paid UFAs next year, whether he stays in New York or not. Signing a contract this early might mean he left some money on the table, it's common sense. The more time that passes by, the more I'm thinking his agent thinks the same thing.

If he knows he 100% wants to stay in NY, he CAN re-sign in NY, AND get the most money possible, WHILE forcing Sather's card at UFA. We know Sather's gonna throw anything at him if he pushes things past that point.

Right now, that is a much better FA class than what was available this year.  It is likely to change significantly as players are resigned before 7/1/14, but there may be some options for the Devils to be a player in the next FA class as well.

With the cap going up next year, I'm not sure if we'll be players. I can see a bunch of teams sighing from the relief of the cap upgrade and splurging on some of those high end players. Not sure we can compete with the ridiculous offers I foresee being thrown out next year. Unless it follows the supply and demand curve, which is always possible.

Edited by DJ Eco

The only risk that comes with waiting for FA if your the Queen is an unforseen injury.  But the chances of getting injured where it would seriously impact his value or threaten his career are relatively low. 

Other than that, he has to know that he will be one of, if not the most coveted FA on the market in 2014.  Can you imagine the money the Flyers will throw at him on 7/1/14 if he still isn't signed? 

In a way, Lundqvist might be considered one of many potential back up plans. After all, it possible that Brodeur's $4 million cap hit retires and Schneider's $4 million cap hit walks away. We would then have an additional $8 million to a sign a marquee goalie. Of course, this is all assuming that at least Schneider and Lundqvist are all UFA at the same time.

The only risk that comes with waiting for FA if your the Queen is an unforseen injury.  But the chances of getting injured where it would seriously impact his value or threaten his career are relatively low. 

Other than that, he has to know that he will be one of, if not the most coveted FA on the market in 2014.  Can you imagine the money the Flyers will throw at him on 7/1/14 if he still isn't signed? 

The Flyers may offer him a piece of the franchise lol.

To see Hank walk would be amazing for them to experience. We've all been taking sh!t from Benny Goomba in our own damn state about how many players walk and don't want to play for the Devils. This would be the ultimate pay back.

Unless he goes to Pittsburgh.

The Flyers may offer him a piece of the franchise lol.

They'd probably ruin even him.  But Lundqvist on the Pens is scary.

That would be scary, but I doubt the Queen of Manhattan would want to live in Pittsburgh. I don't think he'd go there, even with all their stars.