All-Star Players Announced

thefiestygoat

This was pretty obvious from the start. The Devils had two rookie locks which really didn't leave much room for any starters. You can make a case for a guy like Elias, but when you factor in every team having to have a representative as well as the Sens having every starter, it wasn't going to work.

Edited by devilsrule33

This was pretty obvious from the start. The Devils had two rookie locks which really didn't leave much room for any starters. You can make a case for a guy like Elias, but when you factor in every team having to have a representative, it wasn't going to work.

The issue is that voting is done online and you can vote up to 30 times each. I am sure if the AS Game was coming to NJ - you'd see ballot stuffing from NJ fans because they'll want to see their home players. It's for the fans, and the fans that are going to show up get to see 4 of their players play.

For the record, Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson should have made it anyway, and Alfredsson has been great his whole career but not nearly deserving this yr. How about Brad Richards?

The issue is that voting is done online and you can vote up to 30 times each. I am sure if the AS Game was coming to NJ - you'd see ballot stuffing from NJ fans because they'll want to see their home players. It's for the fans, and the fans that are going to show up get to see 4 of their players play.

For the record, Michalek, Spezza and Karlsson should have made it anyway, and Alfredsson has been great his whole career but not nearly deserving this yr. How about Brad Richards?

I really couldn't care less that no Devils players made it. I think the rest for the vets will be a good thing, and it will be exciting for the youngsters to meet their idols.

What Ottawa did was different than any kind of ballot stuffing that I have seen. It was somewhat impressive if not annoying. This was a city wide campaign with rallies, buttons, lawn signs, posters ,e-mail blasts, American Idol texting reminders. They pulled all the stops to get all their players in. It be definitely hard to replicate again. But it was nice for a city of a lot of fair-weather fans to get behind something for a change.

In the end, it really means a lot for an entire city that is hosting the event for Alfredsson to be on the team. Is it possibly at the expense of a Devil? Maybe, but I'm not sweating over it.

Remember, last year the Devils had no business having anyone on the team and Elias bumped a deserving guy. At least this year, the lone representatives for each team are deserving to be there.

Edited by devilsrule33

whatever... its the All Star Game... who cares

id rather the guys get some rest and time off to regroup and go hardcore 2nd half

its a popularity contest for whatever city the ASG is in... look at the amount of Senators on the roster...

We have 3 guys in the top 25 with Kovy in the top 18 in pts per game and we get no one except for the rooks...pathetic

As of very recently none were in the top 25. As of two days ago Kovy and Parise were not. We should have gotten one over plenty of those guys but he top 25 argument is irrelevant.

as mentioned, nobody should care at all - and i can pretty much guarantee you that of elias, parise and kovalchuk, none really wanted to go.

You can guarantee huh?

You can guarantee huh?

These guys are playing tons of ice time, probably the last thing either of these guys want to do during the season is go to Ottawa to play in a meaningless exhibition. I don't think it's an unfair assumption. It is disappointing that none of them gets the recognition, but with Center Ice/Game Center, highlights on NHL.com and so forth, the All-Star Game means less than it used to, and that's saying something.

Wow... I have to admit that I'm a little surprised. I didn't think all of them would be on the team, but I thought for sure that Parise, Elias, or Kovalchuk would make the team.

Or Henrique, for that matter.

huh

Edited by ohms law

These guys are playing tons of ice time, probably the last thing either of these guys want to do during the season is go to Ottawa to play in a meaningless exhibition. I don't think it's an unfair assumption. It is disappointing that none of them gets the recognition, but with Center Ice/Game Center, highlights on NHL.com and so forth, the All-Star Game means less than it used to, and that's saying something.

I don't deny any of that. They probably would love the rest. However, I think these guys would love to go, albeit secretly. Of course if you ask them they'll play it down but you could tell Elias was happy to be there last year. Call it meaningless all you want but I think the players do like being there and Elias should be again.

You can guarantee huh?

i did say "pretty much", but you see TG's tweets saying that getting snubbed means tons more to fans than the players. For reasons Triumph mentioned before, these guys absolutely welcome the break. For younger guys, this is no doubt a thrill. for guys like kovalchuk and elias who have been to a ton of them, i'm sure they're glad they can be with their family and away from hockey.

i did say "pretty much", but you see TG's tweets saying that getting snubbed means tons more to fans than the players. For reasons Triumph mentioned before, these guys absolutely welcome the break. For younger guys, this is no doubt a thrill. for guys like kovalchuk and elias who have been to a ton of them, i'm sure they're glad they can be with their family and away from hockey.

I don't think any of them are dying to go but I do think they would have liked to do it. As mentioned in my last post, they would never say it but I think they secretly hope to be picked. It's a stupid game but being around the other stars on a night of celebration is a good feeling. Its not so much playing in the game as it is being there as an all-star.

• Like 1

whatever, kovy and parise had a slow start and although they picked it up, this isn't completely surprising.

Henrique is going to do work and im glad we at least got 2 rookies in there

So awesome for them and Henrique will stand out on the big stage I hope...I however hate the rookie selection thing.