2013 Jets Thread

NJDevs4978

No need to bump the other megathread, too much bad juju with the last two seasons in it :P

Hopefully they'll hire a GM before September...not to mention an OC/DC. And the sooner they just end this nonsense with Tebow the better. They can't even give him away, they might as well set him free.

They've hired both.

Idzik from Seattle as GM. He's considered a cap guru + he knows personnel. It's like Tannenbaum plus another level of capability. Good hire IMO.

Marty Morningweg is the new OC. That made me laugh. The Vick rumors are going to be off the charts for months.

lol I made my post at 4:10. At 4:11 a thread on the Gang Green forum (a Jets message board) was started saying Idzik had been named GM. Talk about timing :P

Well hopefully this guy's good but yeah it sounds like another Tannenbaum only he's had experience in a successful organization. Morningweg, ugh...I guess it hardly matters either way until they actually get offensive PLAYERS in here though.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Yes to Flynn...no to Kolb. Though both will likely be better than Sanchez

Anyway, the hiring of Mornhinweg is pretty good. Naturally the only lasting memory I have of this guy was his tenure with the horrible Matt Millen Lions years ago...but he's been a damn good OC in Philly for a few years already. Step up from both Schotty and Sporano. He's one of those "horrible HC, great coordinator" type of guys

Idzik is a good hire. He has an impressive pedigree and has been a part of winning franchises everywhere he's been. And he's done a bit of everything. From scouting to coaching to cap stuff.

Edited by '7'

Can't argue about Mornhinweg, he put up some great Philly offensive numbers, but he will have the same problems as Schott did in his last season in New York: He doesn't have the talent to make it work effectively. I don't think you have the cap space to really improve on your offensive side of the ball. A damaged QB, no RB's no WR's and a pretty mediocre O-line isn't not a very good reciepe for success on offense.

I don't think anybody will be judging Idzik and Mornhinweg on 2013, that'll be more of cap crunch year...2014 is when they'll be able to put together a stronger roster with a better cap situation. Still I don't think the WR's are all that bad if they bring back Braylon. You could do worse than Holmes-Edwards-Kerley-Hill.

I don't think anybody will be judging Idzik and Mornhinweg on 2013, that'll be more of cap crunch year...2014 is when they'll be able to put together a stronger roster with a better cap situation. Still I don't think the WR's are all that bad if they bring back Braylon. You could do worse than Holmes-Edwards-Kerley-Hill.

Don't disagree, Edwards was a great pick-up, with something to prove. But you are still very, very light in terms of WR talent Holmes is decent, Hill needs a WR coach. No DC is going to even consider the Jets a passing threat with that crew. Defenses will continue to just focus on the nonexistent running game force a third and long, and just tee-off on a defenseless QB (whoever it is).

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy trade rumors as a result of this: Basically exchanging burdensome QB contracts:

Sanchez to SEA for Matt Flynn (reunites Sanchez with Carroll)

Sanchez to ARI for Kevin Kolb (reunites Kolb with Morningweg's offense)

Seattle won't do that and whoever came up with that rumor is a moron. Carroll has already turned away more than a few former USC players, including Leinart who he won a title with. They're also not going to do that deal when they have a starter set. I think Flynn is almost assuredly going to get moved, but it will be for peanuts and not taking on Sanchez's stupid contract. Schneider is not going to lock 8.25 million up in a washed up (yep, Sanchez is washed up) back up. They got stuck w/ Flynn cause they had no idea Wilson was going to be what he is. Hell, Sanchez's cap hit alone is 13 million next season! No chance Seattle does that this close to being a championship team. I see them sticking with Flynn as backup another year if they cant find a taker that relieves the cap space.

I dont even see Arizona doing that deal, but I think that would be more feasible than Seattle taking on Sanchez.

I think the Jets end up waiting til camp to move Sanchez, as someone will likely get hurt and a team will need someone. Or just ship him to the Raiders now and get it done and over with.

If Im the Jets, I consider Alex Smith as a feasible stop-gap and trade target (and not for Sanchez, more like a 3rd or 4th round pick) before they draft the next franchise guy.

Holy crap, Tannenbaum doesnt deserve another GM with that Sanchez contract in his history. That may be the worst contract I've EVER seen looking at its nuts/bolts breakdown.

Edited by ghdi

• 4 weeks later...

Garrard and Cassell...neither could beat out Sanchez (well perhaps Garrard of 4 years ago would)

Looking like Sanchez is the starter in 2013. Quinn (rumored) Garrard, these will be there to back him up. But at least they're more credible backups unlike McElroy and Tebow

Garrard and Cassell...neither could beat out Sanchez (well perhaps Garrard of 4 years ago would)

Looking like Sanchez is the starter in 2013. Quinn (rumored) Garrard, these will be there to back him up. But at least they're more credible backups unlike McElroy and Tebow

Garrard, IIRC, was slated to beat out Tannehill and Matt Moore before he got hurt.  So he should at least compete with Sanchez this year.

Perhaps...he's missed the last 2 full seasons though. Back and knee, he's good when healthy but I wonder if he's just at the end of the road now

I don't think it matters who is QB if you have no running game, a mediocre O-Line and no WR threats.

Unless, the new GM can address these issues on top of the salary cap issues, nothing much is going to change, regardless of who is under center.

I don't think it matters who is QB if you have no running game, a mediocre O-Line and no WR threats.

Unless, the new GM can address these issues on top of the salary cap issues, nothing much is going to change, regardless of who is under center.

It matters. Sanchez is among the most inaccurate passers in football. They'll likely be fielding Holmes-Edwards-Kerley-Hill. That's average at worst. It may even be pretty good if Hill takes a step forward this year. It's too early to judge the O-Line and running game. There hasn't even been a draft yet. And if they trade Revis, the O like and running game might be bolstered through those returns.

It matters. Sanchez is among the most inaccurate passers in football. They'll likely be fielding Holmes-Edwards-Kerley-Hill. That's average at worst. It may even be pretty good if Hill takes a step forward this year. It's too early to judge the O-Line and running game. There hasn't even been a draft yet. And if they trade Revis, the O like and running game might be bolstered through those returns.

What excites me going into next season, is seeing what Sanchez can do with 2 big targets for the first time in his career. In 2009 & 2010 he had Edwards, but Cotchery & Holmes are 5'11 and 5'10. In 2011 he had Plaxico.. but opposite Burress were 5'10 Mason, and 5'9 Kerley. Going into 2013, Sanchez will have two big 6'4 targets in Braylon & Hill, and two burst wideouts in Holmes & Kerley that can get speed off the line of scrimmage. I'm fine with Cumberland & Keller @ TE, but I'd love a LaDainian Tomlinson like pick up to add to the RB committee. It's fine to have Powell & McKnight for depth, but someone legitimate needs to push Greene for him to be most productive. Alot of what went in to Sanchez's success in 2009 & 2010 was having a RB who can catch screen passes the way LT did. Greene has absolutely no receiving ability. Stephen Jackson would be nice, but he's only a short-term solution. I would love to see the Jets actually use a high end draft pick on a young HB, the way the Giants did with Wilson.

If the Jets don't address the run game and the O-Line first it will not matter about your WR's (even though they are still mediocre WR's).

When the Jets are in the inevitable third and long, it will be the same result as this past year.

What excites me going into next season, is seeing what Sanchez can do with 2 big targets for the first time in his career. In 2009 & 2010 he had Edwards, but Cotchery & Holmes are 5'11 and 5'10. In 2011 he had Plaxico.. but opposite Burress were 5'10 Mason, and 5'9 Kerley. Going into 2013, Sanchez will have two big 6'4 targets in Braylon & Hill, and two burst wideouts in Holmes & Kerley that can get speed off the line of scrimmage. I'm fine with Cumberland & Keller @ TE, but I'd love a LaDainian Tomlinson like pick up to add to the RB committee. It's fine to have Powell & McKnight for depth, but someone legitimate needs to push Greene for him to be most productive. Alot of what went in to Sanchez's success in 2009 & 2010 was having a RB who can catch screen passes the way LT did. Greene has absolutely no receiving ability. Stephen Jackson would be nice, but he's only a short-term solution. I would love to see the Jets actually use a high end draft pick on a young HB, the way the Giants did with Wilson.

Yes that will help Sanchez, having 2 big receivers so he doesn't have to be spot on all the time. And I think they were hoping McKnight developed into somebody who could catch at least 40 out of the backfield and replace LT, but that never materialized. Steven Jackson would be a typical Jets move...he is only 29 though with a lot of wear and tear. 

What I would do is let Greene walk, draft a back and let him develop for a year...sign Jackson and let him get 60% of the carries and be your main dump-off guy while Powell picks up the rest. Then in 2014 hope the guy you drafted this year can step in and be the man to carry the load.

That's presuming Braylon re-signs 'and' stays healthy (the latter is far less definite than the former).  Not a huge fan of Hill, he seemed to drop two for every one he caught but maybe now that he'll be learning from other guys which he should have been last year it could help.

Keller might not re-sign either, for that matter.

I think Idzik knows he has a mulligan this year, so he's really in let it burn mode.  He has no incentive to do anything other than fill out the roster with plausible NFLers on short term deals.  He'll end up with a coach he wants next year when presumably Rex gets fired, and perhaps be in a position to draft Johnny Manziel, who I believe is draft elligible next year. 

That's presuming Braylon re-signs 'and' stays healthy (the latter is far less definite than the former).  Not a huge fan of Hill, he seemed to drop two for every one he caught but maybe now that he'll be learning from other guys which he should have been last year it could help.

Keller might not re-sign either, for that matter.

Keller is a good player but he couldn't stay on the field last year...honestly it prob won't be so hard to find somebody who can catch 35 passes out of the TE spot, and then Cumberland catches 20-25 and that's essentially Kellers production.

That said I'd like to bring him back since he's the only guy here who has real chemistry with Sanchez. But who knows, 50/50 on him returning

I think Idzik knows he has a mulligan this year, so he's really in let it burn mode.  He has no incentive to do anything other than fill out the roster with plausible NFLers on short term deals.  He'll end up with a coach he wants next year when presumably Rex gets fired, and perhaps be in a position to draft Johnny Manziel, who I believe is draft elligible next year. 

Idzik has a mulligan this year that I agree with

However, in Mornhinweg the Jets have what I believe is a top 10 offensive coordinator in football. Rex has never had a guy this good to work with. Rex has a terrific defensive mind but has never been able to truly trust and defer the offense to anybody competent. In Mornhinweg he has that. You have to give that union more than a year.

I believe the only thing that will get Rex fired is if the team quits on him. The Jets could go 4-12 next year, but if they don't quit on Rex he will be back in 2014. I've seen them quit on Coslett, Carroll, Kotite from the very start, and Mangini...but Rex has actually done a good job keeping the team inspired. They really haven't been blown out very often in the past 4 years

Edited by '7'

Agree, they haven't quit on Rex yet, but I maintain that he needs to reinvent himself.  The Jets can't still consider beating the Pats on their turf in the playoffs under Rex some kind of major highlight, especially since, in recent seasons, that hasn't exactly been that hard of an accomplishment, as the Ravens have done it twice. 

Idzik has a mulligan this year that I agree with

However, in Mornhinweg the Jets have what I believe is a top 10 offensive coordinator in football. Rex has never had a guy this good to work with. Rex has a terrific defensive mind but has never been able to truly trust and defer the offense to anybody competent. In Mornhinweg he has that. You have to give that union more than a year.

I know you don't want to hear this but little Schott is a top 10 coordinator.  But even a top 10 coordinator is not going to be able to fix the mess in a year.     Idzik has to be a miracle worker to get this sad sack team to even be a .500 team next year.   And it looks like Revis is on his way out based on what I have been reading.   So you might get some pick out of this trade.

I know you don't want to hear this but little Schott is a top 10 coordinator.  But even a top 10 coordinator is not going to be able to fix the mess in a year.     Idzik has to be a miracle worker to get this sad sack team to even be a .500 team next year.   And it looks like Revis is on his way out based on what I have been reading.   So you might get some pick out of this trade.

Little Schott is a bottom 10 Coordinator and there's probably a better than 75% chance he's out of football after 2013. That or back relegated to offensive assistant somewhere