Martin Brodeur still pondering trade from Devils this season

msweet

Seeing Marty in another team's jersey, even if for a couple of months would be tough to swallow

Hopefully he just rides out the rest of the season and keeps disturbances to a minimum

Sadly, here's what I see happening:

Lou tells Marty they're not bringing him back, in as diplomatic fashion as possible.

Marty doesn't rip or criticize the Devils in any way, but insists that he still has something left. 

He finds a team that is actually willing to take a chance on him, for whatever the reason.

Marty plays 6-10 games, maybe finds a way to win one or two, but really has a rough time.  Not .899 save%, 2.52 GAA rough.  More like .850ish, 3.50+ GAA, there's-no-doubt-about-it-now-Marty-really-IS-done rough.  (Think Miikka Kiprusoff or Martin Biron at the end.)  Marty realizes with finality that it's truly over, but only after it got beyond ugly playing for another team.

Hope this never comes to pass. 

EDIT:  and if it ever did...I hope to GOD that, if he is playing for another team, and that team plays the Devils at the Rock, and Marty's struggling, that his coach doesn't put him in.  I can handle Marty playing for another team briefly as a result of hanging on too long, but I think if he ever got lit up by the Devils in what used to be his building...that would be painful and way too much to take. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If someone wants to give something for him, hell even a 3rd rounder - you have to take it. I'd rather have KK as the backup the rest of the season - so as PDB doesn't feel forced to play him.

Say somehow the Devils get down to the wire and they've had a win streak at somepoint (I'm not holding my breath) - but with the last home game of the year is a WIN and you're IN type of situation...Cory is the better goaltender, but it could be Marty's last home game ever....what do you do?

I play Cory, duh....but does PDB?

In that scenario I would have to think it's Cory

Sadly, here's what I see happening:

Lou tells Marty they're not bringing him back, in as diplomatic fashion as possible.

Marty doesn't rip or criticize the Devils in any way, but insists that he still has something left. 

He finds a team that is actually willing to take a chance on him, for whatever the reason.

Marty plays 6-10 games, maybe finds a way to win one or two, but really has a rough time.  Not .899 save%, 2.52 GAA rough.  More like .850ish, 3.50+ GAA, there's-no-doubt-about-it-now-Marty-really-IS-done rough.  (Think Miikka Kiprusoff or Martin Biron at the end.)  Marty realizes with finality that it's truly over, but only after it got beyond ugly playing for another team.

Hope this never comes to pass. 

Would certainly be a travesty and I hope it does not come to that...

Is everyone here dead set against him coming back in a backup role next season?  If it was a known thing and he even acknowledged he would only start about 20 games?!?

Before I can say Marty isn't even backup quality I need to see a few more games...but he is definitely very close to the ugly end

Is everyone here dead set against him coming back in a backup role next season?  If it was a known thing and he even acknowledged he would only start about 20 games?!?

Before I can say Marty isn't even backup quality I need to see a few more games...but he is definitely very close to the ugly end

It's been discussed...I just don't think he'll ever truly think of himself that way, no matter what he might say.  And I don't think it's something he'll ever truly be comfortable with, mentally or physically.  The Devils don't look like the kind of team that will be able to give away too many points the next few seasons.  The Devils backup, if he's starting 20 games, probably needs to give his team a legitimate chance to come away with 50-60% of the points available in those games.  If Marty declines further and becomes an .880-.890 save% guy, I don't see how that's possible.

And that's probably not even true.  He keeps his answers short with no substance, it's obviously a sign that he's disgruntled and secretly plotting with Jeff Gilooly and Tanya Harding to have Cory's knee bashed in in the parking lot after practice.

so, exactly like the cory vs luongo reference then.

go to 1:10

Edited by lazer

If someone wants to give something for him, hell even a 3rd rounder - you have to take it. I'd rather have KK as the backup the rest of the season - so as PDB doesn't feel forced to play him.

Say somehow the Devils get down to the wire and they've had a win streak at somepoint (I'm not holding my breath) - but with the last home game of the year is a WIN and you're IN type of situation...Cory is the better goaltender, but it could be Marty's last home game ever....what do you do?

I play Cory, duh....but does PDB?

Yikes.  Cory is the obvious choice, but "Marty's earned it!"

Although, didn't Marty duck out of a game at the garden last year after the playoffs were out of the equation?  Maybe he'd do the same this year if it was made abundantly clearly that he wasn't being brought back.

EDIT:  and if it ever did...I hope to GOD that, if he is playing for another team, and that team plays the Devils at the Rock, and Marty's struggling, that his coach doesn't put him in.  I can handle Marty playing for another team briefly as a result of hanging on too long, but I think if he ever got lit up by the Devils in what used to be his building...that would be painful and way too much to take. 

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit at the thought of this.  Ugh that'd be awful.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit at the thought of this.  Ugh that'd be awful.

Agree, but I could almost see Marty seeing it as yet another challenge he could overcome (I know this doesn't have a great chance of happening, but it's not impossible either). 

wow some of you guys really think to some extremes with your future forecasts here

If it's one thing being a sports fan tells you in this era, in all sports, a lot of wacky things can happen.  Look at all of the Red Sox players who've played for the Yankees, and vice versa.  Think Sox fans ever thought Wade Boggs, Roger Clemens, and Johnny Damon would go get their rings with the Yankees (especially after Damon won one with the Sox)?   

I don't think the scenario I presented actually WILL happen, but I can't say I'd be shocked if it did.

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur.  This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

I have a feeling we are seeing the last games of at least 1 of our younger defesemen and 1 of our regular forwards.

Wow a Brodeur trade would be amazing, especially if someone pays a 2nd or 3rd for him.

There's a better chance Pete scratches Gionta than that happens.  Well better meaning .000001 percent as opposed to zero.

At this point it wouldn't shock me if you could only get Anthony Brodeur back for Marty (i.e. a seventh-rounder).  And for that kind of meager price it ain't worth it.

I think the Marty cord needs to be cut when this season ends. I said it earlier, but as long as he's around, this will always be "Marty's team". It will never be Cory's team that Marty also plays on. If he's here he will still think he has a shot at a starting job, and god forbid he plays well for a stretch. Then we are right back here in this mess.

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur. This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

I have a feeling we are seeing the last games of at least 1 of our younger defesemen and 1 of our regular forwards.

I hope so. This team needs a trade in the worst way.

I hope so. This team needs a trade in the worst way.

I think they will.  This team really needs scoring and Lou has to know that.  I think we will lose a fan favorite but it will have to be done.

There is a very small piece of me thinking we might be seeing the end of Patty soon, but I think its also extremely unlikely.

i mean which forward would you think to be an option for trade.. no zajac no elias i doubt he trades clowe brunner or ryder he just signed them? is he going to trade jagr who is arguably one of the best players here right now?? .. does henrique have a ntc? and at that point henrique has been one of the better players ..enless hes going to trade a fourth liner but i think gio and carters contracts are up this year)i could be wrong) and gio isnt going to give much of a return i would think

Edited by 2ELIAS6

if he would be fine with not playing as many games and if it wouldnt effect cory resigning here i wouldnt even mind if he stuck around another year i dont think it would be the end of the world as many of you do

I don't see any good that can come from him staying another year. A backup can be signed at half the price that can put up better numbers than Marty does at this point without thinking he can be the number one guy.

i mean which forward would you think to be an option for trade.. no zajac no elias i doubt he trades clowe brunner or ryder he just signed them? is he going to trade jagr who is arguably one of the best players here right now?? .. does henrique have a ntc? and at that point henrique has been one of the better players ..enless hes going to trade a fourth liner but i think gio and carters contracts are up this year)i could be wrong) and gio isnt going to give much of a return i would think

Possibly Elias but I really doubt that.  Jagr is definitely a maybe, but I would think for a big name the other team would want more than a rental.

I have a feeling a big trade is on the horizon for this club before the trade deadline, but I doubt it will involve Brodeur.  This is nothing more than a gut feeling but some of the events are reminding me of how the team was right before we traded for Kovy back in 2010.

I doubt that any of Larsson, Merrill or Gelinas gets traded.  You would trade one of those players for a youngish forward that is not UFA eligible for at least two years, which I don't see being available, or at least there's not a match. 

The hope has to be to clear the log jam not only this year, but next year too.   I think Salvador would make the most sense.  He doesn't have an NTC and is only signed for one more year for a cap hit that is basically the average for a starting defenseman. 

Brodeur is not being traded.  You only trade for a goalie on the last year of his deal, especially someone that's close to retirement, if you think you have a shot at making a Cup run.  And all of the teams that are in that position to begin with have better options on their rosters already.  That's what makes Chere's repeated questions about it all the more absurd. 

if he would be fine with not playing as many games and if it wouldnt effect cory resigning here i wouldnt even mind if he stuck around another year i dont think it would be the end of the world as many of you do

Marty is not Marty anymore.  Marty is a guy who is barely playing above replacement level and that has mostly been the case since the beginning of 2013, save for a few limited hot streaks.  The other Devils goalie this year is putting up top-of-the-league numbers playing behind the same team, so you do the math.  Next season Marty could be playing BELOW replacement.  Like DD56 says, you can find someone cheaper and younger who will likely do a better job.  It's sad and it blows, but that's the reality.   

Hope you are right. I feel like I've been waiting on a trade (not even a big one) to happen involving one of the D (young or old) for a year now. I'd really love to get a young top 6 F if the Devils move out a guy like Josefson + one of the young D.

Hope you are right. I feel like I've been waiting on a trade (not even a big one) to happen involving one of the D (young or old) for a year now. I'd really love to get a young top 6 F if the Devils move out a guy like Josefson + one of the young D.

I really wonder if Lou does make a big splash if the 2015 1st rounder is involved because of the McDavid Sweepstakes.  Should Lou even give that up and have 2 years in a row without a #1 pick?  I doubt he would move that but you never know how desperate he is.  This is not a team or fanbase that can handle a prolonged rebuild.

I really do think one of our young D is moving and I think it's going to be Gelinas.