Books?

Pepperkorn

Hi - anyone reading any good books?

I'm so goofy... I JUST got around to reading Call of the Wild -- how adorable is that book? It was free on one of my ereaders. It's so sweet and sad. I had no idea what it was about all these years -- it was one of my oldest sisters favorites but no one ever talks about it, you know? Just oh yeah - up in the Yukon

Hi - anyone reading any good books?

I'm so goofy... I JUST got around to reading Call of the Wild -- how adorable is that book? It was free on one of my ereaders. It's so sweet and sad. I had no idea what it was about all these years -- it was one of my oldest sisters favorites but no one ever talks about it, you know? Just oh yeah - up in the Yukon

I'm reading into the wild which is about the guy who gives away everything he has and bruns his money and then wanders off into the Alaskan wilderness...its a really good book. You should check it out since u finished call of the wild lol.

I suggest really anything by Chuck Palahniuk. Invisible Monsters and Survivor are my two favorites by far though. Fight Club is equally as good, but I like the movie more.

Also the Sookie Stackhouse Dead series which are based around the HBO series TRUE BLOOD are fantastic.

I'm reading into the wild which is about the guy who gives away everything he has and bruns his money and then wanders off into the Alaskan wilderness...its a really good book. You should check it out since u finished call of the wild lol.

I read it finally. I found it really irritating. I'm a pretty unsympathetic person with very little patience for boneheadedness.

Well I've been reading Terry Pratchett like crazy this year - he's a riot.

Never got a chance to read Into The Wild but the movie is pretty good. I agree with Pepper that the guy is a bit of a bonehead, but it's a pretty epic tale nonetheless.

I suggest really anything by Chuck Palahniuk. Invisible Monsters and Survivor are my two favorites by far though. Fight Club is equally as good, but I like the movie more.

Hmmm...you may want to preface that by saying his books are for those who don't gross out easily... :D

It's funny, but the two books you mentioned are two I haven't gotten to yet. I also refuse to read Fight Club as the movie has tainted my vision of it...wont be able to picture anybody but Ed Norton and Brad Pitt while reading it.

Of his stuff, I've read Lullaby(pretty good), Choke (which is fantastic), Haunted(the stories themselves are fantastic, the narrative linking them stinks), and Rant (good enough). My next one will probably be Invisible Monsters, but after reading Rant, I need a Palahnuik break!

Oh, and yes, the "Guts" story in Haunted actually made me come close to passing out in the middle of Barnes and Noble. Just thought I'd throw that in there :D

As for what I'm reading right now, I'm working my way through Atlus Shrugged by Ann Rand. The book is freaking brilliant but long and I don't read enough to blow through it.

As for what I'm reading right now, I'm working my way through Atlus Shrugged by Ann Rand. The book is freaking brilliant but long and I don't read enough to blow through it.

Ayn :) I'm not a fan of her philosophy as it has been spewed to me. I ought to read something of hers one day thogh just to give her fair shake.

All I've read from him are Fight Club and Choke. Choke was great (I was disappointed the movie wasn't a bigger release) and I liked the book's ending for Fight Club infinitely more than the ending in the movie.

Right now I'm on a bit of a Kurt Vonnegut kick. I read Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions faster than almost anything I've ever read. The man writes brilliantly. Now I'm on Timequake. Kilgore Trout might be my favorite fictional character of all time.

I also recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to anyone and everyone. Best book I ever read. And Hunter S. Thompson is the man ... Hell's Angels and F&L in Las Vegas are required reading, The Rum Diary is my personal favorite.

I really like Jodi Picoult. (Although the last book I read of hers I didn't love.) My favorites by her are Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, and Handle with Care. I heard The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is really good. I haven't read it yet. The movie is coming out soon I think. I just got Testimony by Anita Shreve at the library. I've never read a book by her before so we'll see.

All I've read from him are Fight Club and Choke. Choke was great (I was disappointed the movie wasn't a bigger release) and I liked the book's ending for Fight Club infinitely more than the ending in the movie.

Right now I'm on a bit of a Kurt Vonnegut kick. I read Slaughterhouse-Five and Breakfast of Champions faster than almost anything I've ever read. The man writes brilliantly. Now I'm on Timequake. Kilgore Trout might be my favorite fictional character of all time.

I also recommend Brave New World by Aldous Huxley to anyone and everyone. Best book I ever read. And Hunter S. Thompson is the man ... Hell's Angels and F&L in Las Vegas are required reading, The Rum Diary is my personal favorite.

I didn't mind Brave New World and one of my friend thought that was the REAL dystopia novel - life as it will be soon enough.. but in my mind Ray Bradbury nailed it with Fahrenheit 451 we just need to jump from flat screen to hologram TV and we're there! Though Atlas Shrugged is hitting a nerve these days

All the dysptopian novels makes for great Summer theme reading!

Brave New World

Fahrenheit 451

I guess you could throw in Atlas Shrugged :noclue:

and lots of Vonnegut is dystopian too...

I really like Jodi Picoult. (Although the last book I read of hers I didn't love.) My favorites by her are Nineteen Minutes, The Pact, and Handle with Care. I heard The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger is really good. I haven't read it yet. The movie is coming out soon I think. I just got Testimony by Anita Shreve at the library. I've never read a book by her before so we'll see.

She sounds so depressing...I'm sure I'd like her books but Id hate myself for it... like Oprah's bookclub :blush:

Come Back: A Mother and Daughter's Journey Through Hell and Back - Claire & Mia Fontaine

I Hope They Serve Beer In Hell - Tucker Max

Happy Endings: Tales of A Meaty Breasted Zilch - Jim Norton

I Hate Your Guts - Jim Norton

It is a great book.. The movie is equally great.. Chris was very "different" you could say lol

Atlas Shrugged is an important novel, especially in these times. It is longwinded, however, and the prose itself is not the best at times. Skipping great swaths of text doesn't hurt the experience too much.

I just read Freakonomics. A good quick read that I recommend.

What kind of books are you looking for? Fiction (what type), historical analysis, biography? Are you just looking for a way to pass time or something to make you think?

My Sister's Keeper is my all time favorite book.

Jodi Picoult is truly amazing

Never got a chance to read Into The Wild but the movie is pretty good. I agree with Pepper that the guy is a bit of a bonehead, but it's a pretty epic tale nonetheless.

Hmmm...you may want to preface that by saying his books are for those who don't gross out easily... :D

It's funny, but the two books you mentioned are two I haven't gotten to yet. I also refuse to read Fight Club as the movie has tainted my vision of it...wont be able to picture anybody but Ed Norton and Brad Pitt while reading it.

Of his stuff, I've read Lullaby(pretty good), Choke (which is fantastic), Haunted(the stories themselves are fantastic, the narrative linking them stinks), and Rant (good enough). My next one will probably be Invisible Monsters, but after reading Rant, I need a Palahnuik break!

Oh, and yes, the "Guts" story in Haunted actually made me come close to passing out in the middle of Barnes and Noble. Just thought I'd throw that in there :D

This is true. I guess I should mention that his stuff is on the odd side. Hmm. I didn't get to Lullaby yet. Choke was really good. I loved the stories in Haunted as well. Invisible Monsters is about this girl that goes through a horrific car crash and spends the rest of her time walking with a veil on her face to cover her face from the accident. Then she meets this lady who's all about drugs and breaking into people's homes for the drugs... It's really weird. Survivor is about this guy who was born into one of the dooms day cults and managed to survive with a half full of people. Well the media latches on he gets put into the spotlight as one of the "SURVIVING MEMBERS!!!" and then goes crazy with drugs etc etc. He's telling this to the black box of the airplane he's hijacked. I really liked how the pages are numbered backwards though. I highly suggest both!

Choke was made into a movie recently.... I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

This is true. I guess I should mention that his stuff is on the odd side. Hmm. I didn't get to Lullaby yet. Choke was really good. I loved the stories in Haunted as well. Invisible Monsters is about this girl that goes through a horrific car crash and spends the rest of her time walking with a veil on her face to cover her face from the accident. Then she meets this lady who's all about drugs and breaking into people's homes for the drugs... It's really weird. Survivor is about this guy who was born into one of the dooms day cults and managed to survive with a half full of people. Well the media latches on he gets put into the spotlight as one of the "SURVIVING MEMBERS!!!" and then goes crazy with drugs etc etc. He's telling this to the black box of the airplane he's hijacked. I really liked how the pages are numbered backwards though. I highly suggest both!

Choke was made into a movie recently.... I haven't had a chance to watch it yet.

The Choke movie was strangely pretty loyal to the book.

Survivor is probably my favorite Chucky P book, followed closely by Invisible Monsters.

I picked up Pygmy and once you get past the weird broken-english narrative style, it's absolutely hilarious. Haven't finished it yet, and probably won't 'til I'm done with school in August, but I'd recommend it based on the first ten or so chapters.

I'm reading Heroin, Nikki Sixx's diary from the '80's when he was strung out on smack. Never a big Crue fan, but it's interesting reading the RnR lifestyle.

In the middle of that I ripped through Driven To Kill, about Westley Allan Dodd, who molested many kids, eventually murdering three. One he molested and tortured for over a day before killing him.

I didn't mind Brave New World and one of my friend thought that was the REAL dystopia novel - life as it will be soon enough.. but in my mind Ray Bradbury nailed it with Fahrenheit 451 we just need to jump from flat screen to hologram TV and we're there! Though Atlas Shrugged is hitting a nerve these days

All the dysptopian novels makes for great Summer theme reading!

Brave New World

Fahrenheit 451

I guess you could throw in Atlas Shrugged :noclue:

and lots of Vonnegut is dystopian too...

Great reading, may I suggest :-

Heart of darkness/The secret shearer-Joseph Conrad.

Disgrace-J.M.Coetzee (fairly recent)

Cry, The beloved Country-Alan Paton.

Things fall apart-Chinua Achebe.

Helter Skelter-Vincent Bugliosi.

Flowers in the attic-Virginia Andrews (I think there are four books, IMO compelling reading)

I'm reading Heroin, Nikki Sixx's diary from the '80's when he was strung out on smack. Never a big Crue fan, but it's interesting reading the RnR lifestyle.

In the middle of that I ripped through Driven To Kill, about Westley Allan Dodd, who molested many kids, eventually murdering three. One he molested and tortured for over a day before killing him.

Did you read "The Dirt"...its the Motley Crue story as told by them. It is brilliant. Some of the most disgusting low-lifes ever in an awesome fun way.

I'm reading Too Fat To Fish by Arty Lange...thats pretty good.

Did you read "The Dirt"...its the Motley Crue story as told by them. It is brilliant. Some of the most disgusting low-lifes ever in an awesome fun way.

No.

Never been intrigued by them, I liked Priest and Maiden much more. I'm only reding this because it was given to me. But it is interesting. Makes you really root for people to overcome their inner demons.

No.

Never been intrigued by them, I liked Priest and Maiden much more. I'm only reding this because it was given to me. But it is interesting. Makes you really root for people to overcome their inner demons.

Yeah i can't name more than to Motley Crue songs, but the book is a great read.