Intriguing tidbits about New Jersey in Friedman's 30 Thoughts 6/17

Triumph

I say '6/17' in the title because Elliotte Friedman writes the best column about the NHL and there are always intriguing tidbits.  

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2013/06/price-is-steep-to-improve-position-in-nhl-draft.html

Two items that might concern the Devils:

1:  Friedman mentions New Jersey as a possible landing spot for Stephen Weiss.  I don't see it, but hey.  If coupled with a trade of Adam Henrique, I could see it working, but it means one of Elias and Clarkson is gone.

2:  Friedman mentions the possibility that Carolina wants to trade out of pick #5 and wants a top 4 defenseman 'with experience'.  Now New Jersey's in a pretty great spot regarding defensemen and I think Mark Fayne and the 9th overall pick for #5 could be doable - maybe with some other dealings like NJ's 2nd for Carolina's 3rd and 5th rounder would have to be thrown in - regardless, this move would put New Jersey right back in the Nichushkin/Monahan/Lindholm class.  I wonder if NJ would deal Andy Greene and the 9th overall and 39th overall for Carolina's 1st and 2nd?  Probably not, but it's worth putting out there.  Only the Devils, Flyers, and Stars seem like teams capable of making this sort of move, so it'll be interesting to see if this does happen.

Edited by Triumph

Weiss is a UFA...why couldn't we just keep Clarkson and Elias? Or are you worried about an internal budget?

I see Weiss getting AAV of 4-5. Shift Weiss over to LW and you have:

Weiss-Loktionov-Kovalchuk

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

Edited by SMantzas

2:  Friedman mentions the possibility that Carolina wants to trade out of pick #5 and wants a top 4 defenseman 'with experience'.  Now New Jersey's in a pretty great spot regarding defensemen and I think Mark Fayne and the 9th overall pick for #5 could be doable

I'd rather move Tallinder than Fayne. Although I like both and they're a good pairing who doesn't get paired anymore, Fayne is younger.

I'd rather move Tallinder than Fayne. Although I like both and they're a good pairing who doesn't get paired anymore, Fayne is younger.

Problem with Fayne is that he is a UFA after this year.  I would think that Carolina would want some assurances that he'd be around longer. 

Weiss is a UFA...why couldn't we just keep Clarkson and Elias? Or are you worried about an internal budget?

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

Why would you shift Weiss to wing?  He's been a center forever, it doesn't make any sense.  You don't pay center prices for a player and shift him to wing.  BTW, he's getting way more than $4M/year.

Elias-Zajac-Clarkson

Henrique-Josefson-Zubrus

The likelihood of us keeping Elias, Clarkson, and Zubrus + adding Weiss is really slim. + he's a center first and foremost. Defeats the purpose of signing him. 

Almost can't fathom the extreme excitement that would be felt in the arena as they announce a trade for us to move up.. People went fairly nuts at the 2009 draft party when we moved a few spots up to get Josefson

A day that changed the franchise forever!  (I wish that could be true, I have been down on Jo)

A day that changed the franchise forever! (I wish that could be true, I have been down on Jo)

Lol yeah seemed like it at the time.. I think it was just excitement of "Wait folks we have a trade.... New Jersey has moved up to #20 and is on the clock".. Then when we picked him everyone went "who?!"

Why would you shift Weiss to wing?  He's been a center forever, it doesn't make any sense.  You don't pay center prices for a player and shift him to wing.  BTW, he's getting way more than $4M/year.

i have to agree unless the market is completely tapped with the spending teams not having big time money and last year's injury forces him to take a one year make good offer.

i mean, no matter what he's getting more than $4MM/year. but he may take a one year $5.5MM deal and hope for a big season next year to improve his value.

regardless, i don't think the devils are a fit.if elias leaves, that changes my mind re: fit but i would rather give elias 3/16.5 than give weiss 5/25 or something similar.

Why would you shift Weiss to wing? He's been a center forever, it doesn't make any sense. You don't pay center prices for a player and shift him to wing. BTW, he's getting way more than $4M/year.

So you think under the premise we do get Weiss, Josefson is going back to Albany? Either that or Loktionov doesn't get re-signed

Re. center: Henrique and Elias are both more than capable of playing wing. Elias has been great at center, but his faceoffs leave something to be desired, as does our wing depth. Keeping both of them (hopefully Elias), and losing Josefson we'd have 3 centers, and a little more strength at wing.

There's a HUGE difference between what Friedman wrote (that the Devils are a "possible destination" for Weiss) and the Devils actually wanting Weiss or having interest in him. I'm pretty sure Friedman and/or his sources are just making an assumption that Weiss might be a good fit in NJ because of Deboer. Don't read into it too much; NJ is a "possible destination" means close to nothing. All 30 teams are a "possible" destination.

I thought Weiss was one of the 'vets' on FLA who soured on PDB?

He's known Weiss since he was 16. I dunno if he soured on DeBoer, but they go wayyyyy back, just like he does with Clarkson.

Its also worth noting that DeBoer coached Nathan Horton as well, I think he might of been one of the ones who soured, since he was traded after being unhappy.