2009 World Series Champion Yankees Thread

thefiestygoat

When I was 10, it was 1988 and the Yankees were not very good, even though I loved the teams during those years (Barfield, Steve Sax, Donnie, Roberto Kelly etc.) The mid-late 80s were not fun as a Yankee and that was the time when I started really getting into baseball. Was living in North Bergen at the time, so we went to a lot of games, which were mostly losses whenever we went. I think they won one game out of the first 10 I went to.

Needless to say, my uncle is a lifelong Yankees fan and hes the one who really got me into it and he would tell me stories of the Mantle days and stuff like that, so when 1996 came along, wow. The only championship Ive been even close to that happy was the Devils the year prior. Man, 1995-1996 was good! 1996 was also big for me as we had moved to Florida a few years prior and my best friend was a huge Braves fan, so it was a nice comeuppance to win that series and shove it in his face.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game is a toss up in my mind. I know Pettitte is on short rest and Pedro is on normal rest, and I guess that gives an edge to the Phils, but Andy always seems to step up when he is needed most and A-Rod's bat is heating up again after cooling slightly in the beginning of the series. If Tex can do anything with the bat, the Yanks will win. Whatever happens, I have a feeling that this game is going to be a classic.

Oh yeah,

GO YANKS!

The Keys to tonight game is pitching, hitting and defense. Now that the obvious is out of the way, the Yankees will win tonight based on the simple fact that they ARE the better team. Don't misunderstand me, this Phillies team rocks. I hadn't seen much of them until the LA series. I have been thoroughly impressed with them. Especially Werth and Utley. But there is no margin too great for this Yankee offense to overcome. They almost pulled it out the other night. Tonight at home with the last at bat, it's a done deal. book it! :D

Id love to see Andy end it tonight!

Beat Pedro and Pettite gets the win for the title. Works for me.

It's been a pleasure watching Andy pitch for the Yankees all these years - so many great memories. I'm hoping he adds another one tonight. Plus beating Pedro again would just be icing on the cake. Lets Go Yankees!

Hopefully the Yankees jump out to an early lead and never look back.

What a job by Pettitte, can't say enough about him. Joba can go from being lights out to imploding so fast...way to go by Marte to pick him up. Marte's been amazing this postseason. Lets get more insurance runs. 6 outs away from 27!

Can't say I watched much of the first few innings, but his line doesn't look all that good. I guess he did the job on short rest though.

Edited by devilsrule33

Can't say I watched much of the first few innings, but his line doesn't look all that good.

Part of my post is more appreciation for his career and what he did for us this year. The other part is for tonight - it may not have been pretty but he pitched fairly well despite getting squeezed by the ump and really only had one big mistake. I hate the term gamer since I love sabremetrics but damnit, he's a gamer.