DeBoer speaks

Neb00rs

http://blogs.northje...without_parise/

DeBoer has had only a few days to ponder the idea of what his team will be life next season without Zach Parise and hasn’t begun to think about how his line combinations will look. He sounded confident, however, that the team will be able to pull together without Parise, who left New Jersey so sign with the Minnesota Wild on Wednesday.

“I think in order to reproduce what we did last year we’re going to have to get big years from all the guys that had big years without a dropoff and a lot of other guys are going to have to give us 10 or 20 percent more in order to try to fill those holes,” DeBoer said. “I think that’s definitely achievable.”

Like Lamoriello, DeBoer acknowledges that replacing Parise won’t be easy. What he contributed on the ice and in terms of leadership as the captain is something that will fall on the players he left behind to try to fill.

Lamoriello already said that the team will take some time before filling the captaincy. DeBoer waited until the end of training camp last season before giving the C to Parise.

“We’re going to have to do it by committee,” DeBoer said. “There’s not a Zach Parise replacement out there. Everyone’s going to have to get 10 percent better. The one thing I take comfort in is I believe we have best general manager in the game. He’s had a knack for, not just last year, but over the years, of filling holes as we’ve gone forward. So, I take a lot of comfort in that.”

Edited by ben00rs

Filling the captaincy by committee. Hopefully we don't take all season to do it. The team just seems more complete when someone is wearing the C. You know it will go to a veteran, Elias won't take it, Zajac's got a couple years before I'd say he's captain material, but giving him an A wouldn't hurt. My only real logical choice right now if I had to make the call would be Kovy.

If Salvador is not the captain I would be very surprised. He didn't get the 3 year 3.16 mil contract for the goals he scored in the playoffs; He got it for the leadership and perseverance he displayed last year. He got props for being a leader in the room all year from Deboer and from the captain who I will not name.

Is it me or Deboer and Lou are saying that the players already on the team will have to work harder and that they are basically not looking to try to fill the hole left by Parise via Trade or FA ?

It's PDB job to prepare the team he has. It's Lou's job to give PDB the assets to get the job done.

So if this is the team PDB has, he can't pine for better players to the media... he needs to say we will step it up and get it done, as a team.

I'd be shocked if this is our final team... with 8dmen and 2 missing top 6 forwards. You won't replace Zach... but you can do better than what we have. You can replace Poni. I just dont get why we have to replace him (as opposed to resigning)