Devils rumoured to be interested in Jonathan Bernier

SterioDesign

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it just me or does anyone else think Bernier is over hyped? Every time I see him in goal he looks average. Nothing special.

True but if were REALLY honest with ourselves here, Wedge and Kinkaid are also crazilly overhyped by our fan base. We can certainly hope so that they'll do the job but with goalies you simply never know.

You should specify Jonathan Bernier in your title since they already have a Bernier.

Personally, I'll pass.  There's no reason to pay beyond a 2nd round pick for Bernier.

Yea that. For what reason would we go out of our way for him? It's also unlikely the Devils will have a different goal-tending situation next year barring injury to either Moose or Marty,

• 3 weeks later...

I mean, I agree that goaltending is a concern but I feel like we would be better off using our tradable assets on a forward which we desperately need. Not saying we shouldn't get a goaltender, just saying that in terms of trading I would rather trade for a forward. I think they could get a serviceable goaltender in UFA if they wanted to

Edited by njd3b1ink

You should put rumor in the title then. Because there's no source claiming there's an interest. It's just people wanting Bernier to succeed Brodeur and inventing their own story.

fair enough, but we don't know that there's no source as much as we don't know there is. Hockey360 is in Quebec which is from where Bernier is from so they could be getting infos.

fair enough, but we don't know that there's no source as much as we don't know there is. Hockey360 is in Quebec which is from where Bernier is from so they could be getting infos.

Not knowing what a source is makes it not a source.

I can start a blog and say "Devils not interested in Jonathan Bernier."

Anyone can type something up, but if they aren't a reputable source of information, it means nothing. It sounds like hockey360 is hoping to have a French Canadian back up Marty. How would being from where Bernier is from make them a source? What info could that give them? Bernier wouldn't know who is interested.

As Marshall said, this is Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor stuff.

Not knowing what a source is makes it not a source.

I can start a blog and say "Devils not interested in Jonathan Bernier."

Anyone can type something up, but if they aren't a reputable source of information, it means nothing. It sounds like hockey360 is hoping to have a French Canadian back up Marty. How would being from where Bernier is from make them a source? What info could that give them? Bernier wouldn't know who is interested.

As Marshall said, this is Єklund (2.3% accurate) rumor stuff.

of course it is and then? AT WORST it's a discussion where we can simply guess offers and see who's worth what and the what ifs for fun. If you're not interested or do not want to be part of it. Don't read, it's like putting the tv on a channel that you don't like and then complain about whats playing.

like seriously some people are way too uptight about a "forum" nobody got hurt or lost their dog clicking on this thread. and if people are mad cause they lost 15 seconds of their precious time because of this, they shouldnt have been losing time on a discussion board at all if 15 seconds is so important

edit: and for the record Andy Strikland is the source of that rumour and i've seen it floating around on quite a few different site

According to Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan St. Louis, the Los Angeles Kings next move may be to trade goalie Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded.

Strickland tweeted, “Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities”.

http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2013/01/31/la-kings-jonathan-bernier-asked-for-trade/

i mean there's no way Lou didnt at least called to see the price and kicked tires thats what GMs do

Edited by SterioDesign

of course it is and then? AT WORST it's a discussion where we can simply guess offers and see who's worth what and the what ifs for fun. If you're not interested or do not want to be part of it. Don't read, it's like putting the tv on a channel that you don't like and then complain about whats playing.

like seriously some people are way too uptight about a "forum" nobody got hurt or lost their dog clicking on this thread. and if people are mad cause they lost 15 seconds of their precious time because of this, they shouldnt have been losing time on a discussion board at all if 15 seconds is so important

edit: and for the record Andy Strikland is the source of that rumour and i've seen it floating around on quite a few different site

According to Andy Strickland of 590 The Fan St. Louis, the Los Angeles Kings next move may be to trade goalie Jonathan Bernier, who has asked to be traded.

Strickland tweeted, “Devils, Maple Leafs and Blackhawks are possibilities”.

http://toomanymenonthesite.com/2013/01/31/la-kings-jonathan-bernier-asked-for-trade/

i mean there's no way Lou didnt at least called to see the price and kicked tires thats what GMs do

agreed.. he already knows how much he wants and originally this season wouldn't think twice about it.  But with Marty's injury and moose's slump I am sure its fresh in his mind.  I think he would be a huge asset to the team, he just needs to play under Marty for at least one more year.  Is he willing to do that?? I am not so sure considering he wants to leave LA for those same reasons... Regardless we will find out in the next three weeks is this is a real possibility. 

I love him but....

We have 3 prospect who are argubly future no 1 goalie...

Kinkaid Wedgewood and Frazee

I dont know about frazee... but Kinkaid and wedgewood look promising to me

We need something for the in between time, but I think a veteran stopgap had for cheap via UFA would be the best choice. You want an older guy there to help mentor the young guys.

We need something for the in between time, but I think a veteran stopgap had for cheap via UFA would be the best choice. You want an older guy there to help mentor the young guys.

Looks like it could be very possible.

Unless Moose retires or gets bought out, it looks like 2013-14 will be Marty and Moose again. IF Moose is gone, and the Devils don't want to use Kinkaid, here are a few 2013 UFA's that may fit as a stopgap... (assuming Lou sticks with his 'veteran backup' approach)

Chris Mason, Theodore, Garon, Labarbera, Emery, Budaj, Boucher, Leighton, Ellis, Danis (!!), Montoya, Macdonald.

It looks like 2014-15 would be Marty and Kinkaid (assuming Marty re-signs after next season.) If Marty leaves and/or Kinkaid isn't ready, here is what the UFA market looks like that year...

Lundqvist (Rags will sign him longterm), Miller (probably same for Buffalo), Kirpusoff (will be 37), Hiller, Halak, Dubnyk (doubt Oilers let him go), Crawford, Vokoun (also 38), Elliot, Gustavsson, Giguere (god no), Biron, Clemmensen, Scrivens, Peters, Zatkoff

Nothing amazing, but maybe some stopgaps that can be had at a reasonable price is the Devils truly believe Kinkaid or Wedge are right around the corner.

I dont see Marty playing after next season at all. He almost retired a year and a half ago after the McLean debacle and admitted he thought about it again last season before the Devils went on a run.

Replacing Hedberg is almost a must for next season in an 82 game schedule either way.

what scares me about a stopgap or well anything future goalie related. Is that with goalies you never know. Everyone seems to think we're dead set in a few season with Wedgewood and Kinkaid ... but seriously who knows ? how many goalies never panned out or only got to NHL level around 30 years old ?

so we could either sign a good stopgap who could sh!t the bed even though he was solid before or have to wait like 5+ years for Kinkaid or Wedge to be ready. Seriously we don't know