• Nov 12
    • Dec 12
    • Jan 13
    • Feb 13
    • Mar 13
    • Apr 13
    • Oct 13
    • Never

lol Bettman pooh-pooing a 'magic date'. Funny how it took him this long to say October 11 was his magic date.

Just do everyone a favor and please announce a season drop-dead date so I know when to pay attention again to this s**tshow.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I dont care what side you are on, you have to admit this is an epic Bettman promo.

This was Kruschev slamming his shoe on the table :lol:

So 48 games is Bettmans bare minimum. Some have floated Jan 11 as latest possible start date. Everyone agree on that? That means figuring in two weeks of ramp up time the drop dead for negotiation agreement is what Dec 31st?

We had 48 in '95 and that started on Jan. 20 I think with an agreement on Jan. 11?

That'll really be damning when moderates like Tannenbaum and Burkle go off on the players. The players are either going to come crawling to Bettman soon or start nuclear war.

Yes, the 'moderates'. That'll really show em. Fehr should disclaim tomorrow. The NHLPA will end up with a better offer than they got tonight if that happens.

Larry Tanenbaum, Chairman of the Board, Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment

"I was pleased to be asked to join the Player/Owner negotiation sessions. I had hoped that my perspective both as a businessman and as one of the owners of the Toronto Maple Leafs would be helpful to the process. Like all other teams, this work stoppage has hurt our fans, our employees and our business. Neither the owners nor the players will ever recover the losses incurred with this work stoppage.

I understand how important it is to have a strong league and 30 healthy teams. I must admit that I was shocked at how things have played out over the last 48 hours. The sessions on Tuesday felt cooperative with an air of goodwill. I was optimistic and conveyed my optimism to the Board of Governors at our Wednesday meeting. However, when we reconvened with the players on Wednesday afternoon, it was like someone had thrown a switch. The atmosphere had completely changed. Nevertheless, the owners tried to push forward and made a number of concessions and proposals, which were not well-received. I question whether the union is interested in making an agreement.

I am very disappointed and disillusioned. Had I not experienced this process myself, I might not have believed it. Like all hockey fans, I am hopeful this situation can be resolved as soon as possible. I miss our game."

Edited by NJDevs4978

So basically Fehr overstated how close they were, Bettman got very angry about it. I wonder how much of these press conferences are for the general public and how much are to reach NHL Players?

Journalist consensus has been that it's been for the players + owners and not for fans. At this point they know fans are fed up.

EDIT: Oh yeah, pretty great maneuver for the owners to tell the players to make a deal without their union head.

Edited by Triumph

They've been trying to go around Fehr since Day One, like that stupid '72-hour limit' where players could call owners about the October proposal. It is a bit reckless to admit that it's a deal-breaker though. Although we as fans would prefer no Bettman or Don, you can't realistically ask the players to negotiate without their union head - even if his brother's in the room.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Fact is that they are now closer than they had ever been. Expect deal within the next week or two.

That's similar to how I see it. The sides keep getting loser, the bluster in the media doesn't concern me if they keep talking and keep getting closer every week.

dater ‏@adater

From deep inside players side: "We were ready to play again. But Don came in (Wed.) and told us we could get more and to hold out"

and he followed with

adater@adater

That deep-inside-players quote came from depth player. They want to play, but top players still in Fehr camp. Could explode soon

-----------------------

Not a big surprise. The players have a depth vs star player difference of opinion and NHL has a big market vs small market difference.

That's similar to how I see it. The sides keep getting loser, the bluster in the media doesn't concern me if they keep talking and keep getting closer every week.

There is no 'keep getting closer' though - the two deals are as goddamn close as they can be. I have to imagine the NHL is working off some sort of calendar we're not aware of and that it will probably be at least a week before they meet again, probably longer.

That adater tweet is horsesh!t - that guy who just had a league source telling him that Fehr is a 'suicide bomber' 10% of the union at least has ZERO interest in a lockout - they would play if it went 60/40 owners players.

Edited by Triumph

There is no 'keep getting closer' though - the two deals are as goddamn close as they can be. I have to imagine the NHL is working off some sort of calendar we're not aware of and that it will probably be at least a week before they meet again, probably longer.

I actually think it's the opposite, Fehr blew up an almost done deal to try and put more time pressure on the owners.

I thought that before the tweet about Fehr privately telling the players the owners will bend more if they wait, that comment rings believable to me since that's how it looked to me from the outside.

I actually think it's the opposite, Fehr blew up an almost done deal to try and put more time pressure on the owners.

I don't think he blew it up, but I guess we won't know. I mean, he certainly asked for more and put pressure on the owners, but this was the time to do it - it was clear the NHL very much wanted a deal.

I thought that before the tweet about Fehr privately telling the players the owners will bend more if they wait, that comment rings believable to me since that's how it looked to me from the outside.

I don't think Fehr wanted them to wait, he wanted a deal now but he thought he could get the league to go for some other things. I think the NHL has payment thresholds and the like that we're not privy to - sponsorship money and the like having to be refunded - and that's what I mean by a secret calendar.

Edited by Triumph

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.