2015 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

When Rex's DEFENSIVE stars are bitching and complaining about the scheme, yeah.. there's a problem.

That speaks volumes to me. During his time with the Jets, he was always adored by his defensive players. I wonder if it's due to the fact that he's dealing with younger players in Buffalo.. where with the Jets he had: Cromartie, Trevor Pryce, Shaun Ellis, Ty Law, Jason Taylor, Ed Reed, Revis, Landry, etc.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not at all. Not against a juggernaut like the Pats. And quite frankly, I never will.. until this regime rides off into the sunset. I often get asked by younger people "what was it like growing up in such a great age of music?" Cobain, Biggie, 2-Pac, STP, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, etc" --and I say the same thing everytime: "I never noticed how amazing it was until 10 years after the fact" 20 years from now, people will be able to look back on BB & Brady in absolute marvel.. even more-so than they already do now. They've already won 7 games BEFORE November, with seemingly everyone in the country (except you) saying how this could be the best Pats team of all-time.. and predicting them to go 16-0 once AGAIN! What took 6 teams all season to muster their 7th win last year.. the Pats have already done in 2 months.

There's an awful lot of yelling, cursing, and screaming from me when I watch the Jets. Every game except the 2 we play against the Pats. When the Jets play the Patriots, I am calm. Completely calm. It isn't so much a fear that the Jets will lose.. it's an appreciation of what I'm watching. I don't go into games anticipating a victory.. I go in saying: "okay, how much have we closed the gap?" Over the last 4 losses to the Patriots, the Jets have lost by a combine 12 points. That may not mean alot to Jet fans.. but it does to mean. It illustrates that my team has played them harder than just about any team throughout their legacy.

I'd say the Giants have been the Pats' toughest adversary, though for obvious reasons they don't face each other nearly as much as the Jets-Pats do.  Dolphins were pretty tough on the Pats for while..they've gone 9-20 in games against them in the BB/Brady era (Jets have gone 8-23 in that same time frame, with one of the wins coming after Brady relieved the injured Bledsoe...obviously the biggest win was the playoff victory in 2011 up in Gillette). 

The 2007 Pats were definitely more dynamic and probably better defensively.  I'm not saying this Pats team can't wind up being the best team in franchise history...just that I'm not ready to put them in the conversation this early in the season. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

If the Pats beat the Broncos, they could go 16-0 almost by accident.  The AFC East's schedule has turned out to be an utter joke this year - Indianapolis is having a hard-up year but will still win that division by default, of the rest of the AFCS, only Jacksonville looks remotely improved, the NFCE has been a cluster this year between injuries and underperformance, which leaves only the division games and the two non-common games.  NE got one of them at home to open their season, which is a +90% win percentage.  The last one is Denver.  

Miami gets San Diego and Baltimore, and both of those teams have been far worse than anticipated.  

It's still early, and injuries have decimated Miami, but it's possible that there will be 3 or 4 .500 or better teams in the AFC East and at least one of them will be watching the 6-10/7-9 Colts or Jags hosting a wildcard game.

If the Pats beat the Broncos, they could go 16-0 almost by accident.  The AFC East's schedule has turned out to be an utter joke this year - Indianapolis is having a hard-up year but will still win that division by default, of the rest of the AFCS, only Jacksonville looks remotely improved, the NFCE has been a cluster this year between injuries and underperformance, which leaves only the division games and the two non-common games.  NE got one of them at home to open their season, which is a +90% win percentage.  The last one is Denver.  

Miami gets San Diego and Baltimore, and both of those teams have been far worse than anticipated.  

It's still early, and injuries have decimated Miami, but it's possible that there will be 3 or 4 .500 or better teams in the AFC East and at least one of them will be watching the 6-10/7-9 Colts or Jags hosting a wildcard game.

I can almost see them shying away from that honestly. Not saying they'll deliberately throw a game.. but maybe rest 4 or 5 starters towards the end of the season to alleviate the stress of staying perfect. They play the Titans in Week 15. That might be the game to do it. They would have so much pressure on themselves if they went into the playoffs 16-0 again.. I can't see BB loving that idea. Unless of course they're competing for seeding in a home game against the Broncos.

I can almost see them shying away from that honestly. Not saying they'll deliberately throw a game.. but maybe rest 4 or 5 starters towards the end of the season to alleviate the stress of staying perfect. They play the Titans in Week 15. That might be the game to do it. They would have so much pressure on themselves if they went into the playoffs 16-0 again.. I can't see BB loving that idea. Unless of course they're competing for seeding in a home game against the Broncos.

Bill's never done that before, I don't expect him to do it now.  They didn't sit Welker in a meaningless game when he got hurt, they didn't sit anyone against the Giants in 2007, it's not the way Bill's wired.

• 2 weeks later...

Season is officially pointless. I'm numb at this point. The whole operation is a joke. I wouldn't be shocked if this team fails to make the playoffs for the next 15 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Just nuke the franchise and move it LA. Maybe we can become the Ravens. [emoji26] Edited by MadDog2020

The Dolphins problem in a nutshell is this: They're never REALLY good.. and they're never REALLY bad.

Miami is stuck in the vicious cycle of "mediocrity" --and that is what has been killing them for the last 20 years. In order to rebuild and rebrand your foundation, you need to bottom-out. Not 7-9 or even 6-10 bottom-out.. but COMPLETELY bottom-out! You need to have a season (or two) where you win LESS THAN 6 games. The Dolphins have had only 3 season.. SINCE 1969 where they've won 5 games or less!! :blink: Three..... seasons in over 45 years!!

When you bottom-out and have a 3-13.. 4-12 type year, you get perks for the upcoming season. You get a high draft pick, usually Top 5. You get a soft schedule. You get to fly under the radar, and win games against teams that may not've taken you seriously. That doesn't happen to the Dolphins, because they have years of 7-9 or 8-8. When a franchise see's that their opportunity isn't now, they usually shut it down completely. You don't even need to suck for longer than 1 season in today's day & age. (look what happened with Indy) There are already rumors in Dallas now that they may shut down Romo for the year. Because at 2-6.. what's the point?? If you're going to suck.. at least use it to your advantage. Tank all the way.

If I were the Dolphins, I would bench everyone. Every single starter.. just sit them. Play the backups.. see what you have. Let the cream rise to the top.. move forward with those players for next season.. and use the high draft picks that you get in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds to rebuild a foundation. Finishing 8-8 every year does nothing to solve your problems in the long-term.

Edited by Beezer34

The Dolphins problem in a nutshell is this: They're never REALLY good.. and they're never REALLY bad.

Miami is stuck in the vicious cycle of "mediocrity" --and that is what has been killing them for the last 20 years. In order to rebuild and rebrand your foundation, you need to bottom-out. Not 7-9 or even 6-10 bottom-out.. but COMPLETELY bottom-out! You need to have a season (or two) where you win LESS THAN 6 games. The Dolphins have had only 3 season.. SINCE 1969 where they've won 5 games or less!! :blink: Three..... seasons in over 45 years!!

When you bottom-out and have a 3-13.. 4-12 type year, you get perks for the upcoming season. You get a high draft pick, usually Top 5. You get a soft schedule. You get to fly under the radar, and win games against teams that may not've taken you seriously. That doesn't happen to the Dolphins, because they have years of 7-9 or 8-8. When a franchise see's that their opportunity isn't now, they usually shut it down completely. You don't even need to suck for longer than 1 season in today's day & age. (look what happened with Indy) There are already rumors in Dallas now that they may shut down Romo for the year. Because at 2-6.. what's the point?? If you're going to suck.. at least use it to your advantage. Tank all the way.

If I were the Dolphins, I would bench everyone. Every single starter.. just sit them. Play the backups.. see what you have. Let the cream rise to the top.. move forward with those players for next season.. and use the high draft picks that you get in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds to rebuild a foundation. Finishing 8-8 every year does nothing to solve your problems in the long-term.

At the very least, Devante Parker once he's healthy should be getting a lot of snaps, probably be in on the majority of snaps, regardless of whether the coaching staff thinks there are better receivers on the team. 

Perhaps the other thing is to do what you can to inflate Tannehill's numbers, which might give him some confidence going forward.  He's the guy for the foreseeable future.

So far as more or less tanking, I'm never completely opposed to the idea, but it has to be for someone pretty special, like an Andrew Luck.  Doesn't seem like there's anyone like that in this draft, or if there is, it's just as likely that it's someone that would be available in the 8-15 range than in the top 5. 

Edited by Daniel

We had one of those years in 2007 when we were 1-15. There was a franchise QB there for the taking in Matt Ryan... Who did the Dolphins take with the #1 overall pick? Jake Long. A motherfvcking offensive lineman. Who, by the way, is out of football now. The bottom line is this franchise can't draft for sh!t, and that goes all the way back to the Shula days. If you don't draft well, you have no chance. The Dolphins have turned into the mess they are now for several reasons, but mainly because they couldn't draft their way out of a fvcking paper bag. Edited by MadDog2020

I was gonna say I forgot who they picked when they went 1-15 lol...but yeah you not only have to stink you have to stink in the right year as opposed to having Long or that faceless offensive lineman for the Chiefs who can't even start for them a couple years ago.  You have to stink in a year you get Newton, Luck or a Manning.

We had one of those years in 2007 when we were 1-15. There was a franchise QB there for the taking in Matt Ryan... Who did the Dolphins take with the #1 overall pick? Jake Long. A motherfvcking offensive lineman. Who, by the way, is out of football now. The bottom line is this franchise can't draft for sh!t, and that goes all the way back to the Shula days. If you don't draft well, you have no chance. The Dolphins have turned into the mess they are now for several reasons, but mainly because they couldn't draft their way out of a fvcking paper bag.

To be fair, Long was really good his first couple of years. And they did win the division with Pennington as the QB, albeit against a Tom Brady-less Patriots. It was injuries that effectively ended his career, which is something for the most part you can't predict.

And I don't know if you can call Matt Ryan a franchise QB, or at the very least it's debatable. He could have very well turned into a Sam Bradford type on a different team., especially if he had to play in the AFC East as opposed to an up and sometimes very down NFC South.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm amazed that Ryan Tannehill wasn't hurt on that safety.  What a brutal hit he took there.  They'd be peeling most people up off the ground with a spatula after that.

But as it's said, great team win on the road - take it and move on.  

Assuming Romo comes back this week at 100%, the Cowboy game may be difficult, but after that all of the games are winnable up to the Pats game Week 17.  Just have to take it one week at a time, and do the best you can as a team. 

And for the love of God, can we please stop with the safeties?

Season over, good riddance. The worst thing is I have to go watch them next sunday in person.

You guys play quite well at Metlife Stadium and I don't see that changing. The Jets can't cover anybody in the secondary and made TJ Yates look like Joe Montana. And Bowles is a fraud.