70 replies to this topic

#1 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:22 PM

Here's the new 4th Period article on the situation, if JVB has sorted out the lenders as rumored, we may have a new owner by the time the season opens, and a filthy rich one at that:

http://www.thefourth.../njd120816.html

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#2 mrthemike

mrthemike

Cursed_Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Cool, he appears to be rich.

Sole Posted Image of Emmy Rossum

#3 Prucenterrules

Prucenterrules

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,046 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Can someone explain to me if this is good or not? He would not be interested in eventually moving the team correct?
Langenbrunner is #1
Devils + The Prudential Center = The Stanley Cup
Martin Brodeur gets win #500 11-17-07
Martin Brodeur gets win #552 3-17-09. I was there.
Posted Image Doc Emrik's "they're josling in the corner", Elias' team record 365th assist, and Devils' 12th Dec 2008 8-5 win over the Rags. Clarkson's "Gordie Howe hat-trick" against the panthers on 2-28-09. The "A" Line. Marty's 100th career shutout. Zubrus's game winner over the Rags (09/22/09).

#4 DevilMinder

DevilMinder

Owner / Administrator

• Admin
  • 9,004 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:51 PM

Its better for us, and the Devils are never going to move, The arena has them chained to NJ for a long time to come.

#5 Devil Dan 56

Devil Dan 56

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,653 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:52 PM

Can someone explain to me if this is good or not? He would not be interested in eventually moving the team correct?

Not until about 2030 when the lease is up.
Official NJDevs.com Keeper of Gory Corey Schwab, Mike Peluso, Troy Crowder, Jeff Frazee, and Rich Shulmistra.
"The Devils are that zombie that takes an ax to the skull, a bullet to the temple and is set on fire … and yet keeps lumbering along to the annoyance of all the other zombies." - Puck Daddy

#6 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

If anyone wanted to move this team now they would have to buyout the City lease, the Arena lease, and the TV Deal correct? Which is hundreds of millions of dollars, thats after buying the team and the debt.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#7 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:07 PM

If anyone wanted to move this team now they would have to buyout the City lease, the Arena lease, and the TV Deal correct? Which is hundreds of millions of dollars, thats after buying the team and the debt.

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is always saying "Don't worry, don't worry.. there's no way the Devils are moving." It does make sense that the buyer would have to pay a large amount of money to move the team, but what EXACTLY would have to be bought out? Because when I hear an oil tycoon is buying the team I'm not so sure if my reaction should be "Oh, great!" or "Oh,Sh*t."
Posted Image

#8 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:21 PM

Allow me to post a short list of my thoughts while reading the article and the comments here:

1. When did the guy from KoRn become a Los Angeles-based hockey writer?
2. Is the potential new owner gonna smash watermelons with an oversized mallet during intermissions? Or maybe as a throwing-the-jelly type diatribe?
3. This strikes me as a guy who wants it known he'll buy if Vanderbeek sells (meaning can't pay off the debt). A vulture, but a rich vulture.
4. Obviously the Devils are going nowhere, because of the arena/TV deal/etc. Plus, where would they go that makes sense with this potential owner?
5. When I read "rich oil tycoon," I think:
Posted Image
If he is anything like this...hell, I'd be for the sale, because it would be amusing as hell.

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

#9 ZeroGravityFat

ZeroGravityFat

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,776 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:24 PM

the only thing i am hesitant about is the filthy rich owner saying buy everything in sight like the rags. i hope he is smart enough to let Lou do his thing.

martyb.jpg
Proud Winner of the 2012 Sergei Brylin Award and 2011 Andy Greene Award, Official keeper of Doc and Chico's random ramblings during play in blowout games

#10 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:26 PM

the only thing i am hesitant about is the filthy rich owner saying buy everything in sight like the rags. i hope he is smart enough to let Lou do his thing.

If we get a new owner, nothing is certain with Lou. That's the one thing the sale to JVB gave us. A new owner may clean house and change things up completely. Lou may not even want to start over with a new guy.

#11 crashline

crashline

Prospect

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts

Allow me to post a short list of my thoughts while reading the article and the comments here:

1. When did the guy from KoRn become a Los Angeles-based hockey writer?
2. Is the potential new owner gonna smash watermelons with an oversized mallet during intermissions? Or maybe as a throwing-the-jelly type diatribe?
3. This strikes me as a guy who wants it known he'll buy if Vanderbeek sells (meaning can't pay off the debt). A vulture, but a rich vulture.
4. Obviously the Devils are going nowhere, because of the arena/TV deal/etc. Plus, where would they go that makes sense with this potential owner?
5. When I read "rich oil tycoon," I think:
Posted Image
If he is anything like this...hell, I'd be for the sale, because it would be amusing as hell.

I mean seeing how the guy is from Canada, there is one city that automatically pops to mind.
Posted Image

#12 Marv4Life

Marv4Life

Senior Devil

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 954 posts

This is exactly what I'm wondering. Everyone is always saying "Don't worry, don't worry.. there's no way the Devils are moving." It does make sense that the buyer would have to pay a large amount of money to move the team, but what EXACTLY would have to be bought out? Because when I hear an oil tycoon is buying the team I'm not so sure if my reaction should be "Oh, great!" or "Oh,Sh*t."

The Stars' deep-pocketed new owner from Canada didn't move the team or has plans to. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he's gonna move a team or wants to. Furthermore no one on here and elsewhere has provided a good enough reason as to why the Devils should move.

#13 Daniel

Daniel

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,537 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:04 PM

If we get a new owner, nothing is certain with Lou. That's the one thing the sale to JVB gave us. A new owner may clean house and change things up completely. Lou may not even want to start over with a new guy.

Lou is arguably the most important asset the team has. If you're a hockey fan with a lot of money that's buying the Devils, you're buying Lou. Even someone with an outsized ego like Mark Cuban would realize that.
Posted Image
I collect spores, molds and fungus.
Hello fellow American. This you should vote me. I leave power. Good. Thank you, thank you. If you vote me, I'm hot. What? Taxes, they'll be lower... son. The Democratic vote is the right thing to do Philadelphia, so do.
How do you spot risk? How do you avoid risk? And what makes it so risky?

#14 ghdi

ghdi

General Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 06:17 PM

Lou is arguably the most important asset the team has. If you're a hockey fan with a lot of money that's buying the Devils, you're buying Lou. Even someone with an outsized ego like Mark Cuban would realize that.

I dont disagree with you, but its not a given whatsoever that a new owner keeps Lou as GM nor does it mean Lou even decides to stay and no one can guarantee that at all.

If an outsider comes and buys this team, he could easily shake it up from top to bottom, including severing ties with Lou as GM.

#15 CarpathianForest

CarpathianForest

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 07:25 PM

The Stars' deep-pocketed new owner from Canada didn't move the team or has plans to. Just because he's rich doesn't mean he's gonna move a team or wants to. Furthermore no one on here and elsewhere has provided a good enough reason as to why the Devils should move.

I would never say never on that. Our attendance is lousy and you can't run a business on a deficit forever.
We don't exactly know what kind of clauses are in the arena, television and other contracts. Smart lawyers and negotiating could possibly free the owner to move the team without taking a total bath in penalties. The guaranteed attendance, merchandising and tv contract of a team based in Hamilton or Quebec would pay off in the long term.

screenshot-sml-40.jpg

#16 TheMazz

TheMazz

All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:10 PM

How great of a source is 4th period? Where else was this brought up and confirmed Gallacher might very well be a legit player in this mess...but I just don't think it'll get that far to him because JVB is fighting like hell to keep the team.

Edited by TheMazz, 16 August 2012 - 08:17 PM.

n2eg.jpg

#17 maxpower

maxpower

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 5,427 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 08:23 PM

I would never say never on that. Our attendance is lousy and you can't run a business on a deficit forever.
We don't exactly know what kind of clauses are in the arena, television and other contracts. Smart lawyers and negotiating could possibly free the owner to move the team without taking a total bath in penalties. The guaranteed attendance, merchandising and tv contract of a team based in Hamilton or Quebec would pay off in the long term.

The business doesn't run a deficit. The debt has nothing to do with operations. As for Quebec, Winnipeg made a big show at the end of the season that they wouldn't need revenue sharing. So this is the expectation level for that level of market, that they'd be in the bottom 15 and anything else is gravy.

#18 Zubie#8

Zubie#8

Head Coach

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,316 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 09:13 PM

The business doesn't run a deficit. The debt has nothing to do with operations. As for Quebec, Winnipeg made a big show at the end of the season that they wouldn't need revenue sharing. So this is the expectation level for that level of market, that they'd be in the bottom 15 and anything else is gravy.

Exactly, many people do not understand that the Devils make money every year but not enough to pay off the loans in time.

believe-zubrus.jpg

#19 LucifersDog

LucifersDog

Broken Record

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:28 PM

Hope it happens getting rid of Jeff is good.

Hope it happens getting rid of Jeff is good.

#20 thelastonealive

thelastonealive

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 8,899 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 10:32 PM

I mean seeing how the guy is from Canada, there is one city that automatically pops to mind.

I'm not sure I buy it. Saying a guy from Calgary is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Quebec because he's Canadian is like saying a guy from Boston is gonna buy the Devils and move them to Albuquerque because he's American. Maybe he has ties there, maybe he wouldn't care where he put the team, but if he's not buying a team to move it back to his hometown (which he obviously isn't), why move it at all?

(Again, all of this is hypothetical anyway, the Devils aren't moving anywhere for the numerous reasons stated throughout this thread.)

Proud recipient of the 2011-'12 Sergei Brylin Award for Most Underrated Poster, the  2007-'08, 2008-'09, and 2009-'10 Lady Byng Award for Nicest Poster, 

the 2008-'09 Bobby Holik Award for Funniest Poster, and the 2009-'10 NJDevs.com Stanley Cup for Best Overall Poster.
2009 NJDevs.com Survival League Football Champion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users