Devils 11/12 line combos

Tedenby21

no, it isn't. it should at least break even against 3rd lines.

Sorry I'm at work, let me expand. I think you're asking a lot out of Henrique and Josefson. Considering they have a combined 30 NHL games. No one knows what Henrique will bring to the table. Also consider that Elias and Kovy didn't work too well together

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

his line up could be one of the worst I've seen >

Palmieri doesn't make the team despite being the most effective young forward we had last year - in his 43 games he was 4th on the team in goal scoring had the best +/- one of the best corsi ratings and played for a coach that has never been fond of rookies playing top 6 minutes and loves to juggle the lineup YOU DO know its harder to play on the first line than the 3rd or 4th for a rookie ( if you never played hockey maybe you don't know this) Not to mention they won with him playing a top 6 role

ah yes, you're that big erie homer.

lemaire had no choice but to give rookies big ice time last year. he had 5 of them on the roster.

palmieri played well, but he had a PDO (shooting %+save % while on ice) of 1030 - is that sustainable? i don't think so. plus he wasn't playing particularly well in the minors, either. as i said in the other thread, he has one route to the NHL - play in front of the net. he could get to that 20-25 goal level, he might not.

Teddy scored 1 goal in his last 27 games of the season so now he gets top 6 minutes ???????? I love Teddy but lets see him dominate in the bottom 6 like a Skinner did last year before we move him to a tougher role

this was tedenby's first pro season. not only did he play more games than he ever had before, he played more minutes per game, too.

Henrique 13 minutes in the NHL hardly qualifies him for 3rd line duty

says you, he was albany's best player last year.

Who breaks up Zubrus and Patrick after the second half season results

me. i wouldn't want parise playing with elias, and that leaves elias on a 3rd line (which idea i liked when rolston was around, now not so much), or kovalchuk-elias-zubrus, which is a combination i don't really care for.

No Salvador or Larsen

devils can't afford salvador and larsson is 18.

Henrique plays a different position. Who is Palmieri going to beat out? He's not waiver-eligible and I don't think it's NJ's intent to play him on the bottom 2 lines.

Unless you think NJ moves Tedenby back over to LW, puts Henrique in the minors, and leaves Palmieri up. Yeah, I just don't know. I'm not a huge believer in Palmieri.

i actually think tedenby is sticking at RW. I know you just said you wanted to break up zubrus and elias because you don't want them on a "3rd line" but i think i already covered that previously when we talked about how lines will shift and how elias will get PK and PP time as well.

i would really be shocked if palmieri isn't given first crack - even w/ hunter. you're right, i don't envision bottom 6 lines for palmieri.

parise-zajac-tedenby

kovalchuk-josefson-palmieri

zubrus-elias-clarkson

boulton-steckel-hunter

pelley/zharkov

zubrus can play any forward position and depending on the play, he and elias will likely swap around - so that's why tedenby really has no place on LW - there are almost 3 ahead of him.

the nice thing about many of these guys is that they can slide up and down the lineup in-game and you have two players who could conceivably play either wing in zubrus and tedenby.

in this setup as above, i can see plenty of times where elias goes out there instead of JJ for a shift here or there or even elias AND zubrus move up to play with kovalchuk.

for henrique to make the team over palmieri, i'd think there'd have to be some incredible things happen in training camp.

i've said this before and perhaps i'm putting way to much stock into it, but i think palmieri is one of the most important forwards with regards to how this team goes. i say that because we're taking parise, zajac, kovalchuk, and elias as givens for what they are. its the other guys that we'll count on to do the rest. assuming no major injuries skewing this number, i'd say the devils are counting on 15-18 goals from Palmieri this year and if he falls short, i'm not sure where those goals are coming from.

parise-zajac-tedenby

kovalchuk-josefson-palmieri

zubrus-elias-clarkson

boulton-steckel-hunter

pelley/zharkov

eh, i kinda hate this, and while i know i argued for a similar setup earlier in the summer, you've got kovalchuk, a noted non-play driver with two young players who probably aren't any good in that department either. expecting that line to break even means giving them sedins-like ice time, and who wants that? if kovalchuk actually becomes a passable defensive player, i think he should be starting in the D zone more often, because he's such a good player in transition.

also don't care for zubrus at LW, i know he can play it, but he's been an RW or C for most of his career. deboer's idea of hockey is much more like sutter's, i'd want him on the top 2 lines grinding down low.

i've said this before and perhaps i'm putting way to much stock into it, but i think palmieri is one of the most important forwards with regards to how this team goes. i say that because we're taking parise, zajac, kovalchuk, and elias as givens for what they are. its the other guys that we'll count on to do the rest. assuming no major injuries skewing this number, i'd say the devils are counting on 15-18 goals from Palmieri this year and if he falls short, i'm not sure where those goals are coming from.

this feels like one of those 'before the season' things that people get all worked up about - in truth, nothing is a given. if palmieri doesn't score, someone else will be put in his place, and maybe that person will.

Any particular reason for this?

they're NJ's two best territorial players. in 08 when they played together, they did great, the rest of the team was a ghost town. i don't like it. let them lift the rest of their linemates up separately.

they're NJ's two best territorial players. in 08 when they played together, they did great, the rest of the team was a ghost town. i don't like it. let them lift the rest of their linemates up separately.

Ah, OK. I still think Kovy and Zajac played well enough together last year to not be overly concerned about concentrating Parise and Elias's good juju to just one line.

Also, in theory at least, I don't like the idea of Kovy and Elias together. Maybe I'm focusing too hard on anecdotal stuff, but both guys make too many passes to no one to play on the same line. Kovy's passes to vacated points and Elias's no-looks to empty ice are aggravating enough on their own, doubling them up seems like a bad idea.

ah yes, you're that big erie homer.

lemaire had no choice but to give rookies big ice time last year. he had 5 of them on the roster.

palmieri played well, but he had a PDO (shooting %+save % while on ice) of 1030 - is that sustainable? i don't think so. plus he wasn't playing particularly well in the minors, either. as i said in the other thread, he has one route to the NHL - play in front of the net. he could get to that 20-25 goal level, he might not.

HAHAHAHA you are seriously using a useless stat like PDO which is actually TEAMshooting %+TEAMsave % while on ice to determine why Palmieri should not make the team you got to be kidding a little education guys who get 12- 15 min/game that are somewhat offensive and don't play in crunch time will always have a higher PDO ie.Palmieri,JJ, Teddy your high minute guys Kovy Elias Zubby will be middle to low and your grinders Mair Sesttio Clarky will be low plus goaltending will always be an important varible THIS IS A STUPID STAT

this was tedenby's first pro season. not only did he play more games than he ever had before, he played more minutes per game, too.

This was NOT his first year playing ,he played in the SEL which is a pretty decent league for 2 years

He still didn't produce at the end of the year he needs time to develop

says you, he was albany's best player last year.

The AHL game is not the NHL ask some of the top scorers that have been there for years he is still unproven

me. i wouldn't want parise playing with elias, and that leaves elias on a 3rd line (which idea i liked when rolston was around, now not so much), or kovalchuk-elias-zubrus, which is a combination i don't really care for.

I let the devils know but that doesn't change the fact that Elias and Zubrus have great chemistry

devils can't afford salvador and larsson is 18.

Not true and Larsson may prove to be ready

Yes I am an Erie HOMER I played here and chose to make my home here ... Any time you would like to debate the merits of Erie Hockey through the years let me know - I'm sure you know less about that then NHL Hockey some advise: stop posting 20,000 times and actually watch a game get on the ice yourself you might eventually start to understand the game..

blades: yawn. palmieri's the greatest player ever and his 1030 PDO is totally sustainable, you're right. oh and his 13% shooting percentage at even strength? also sustainable, even though like 3 players in the NHL have been able to do that over the last 5 years. you don't know what you're talking about, stick to erie hockey. palmieri played okay, he'll have to do better to stay where he's at.

Edited by Triumph

Parise-Zajac-Tedenby

Kovalchuk-Josefson-Zubrus

Henrique-Elias-Clarkson

Boulton-Steckel-Zharkov

Although I would kind of like Josefson on a line with another young guy. I might want to switch that up a bit.

Fayne-Tallinder

Volchenkov-Taormina

White-Greene

Out of curiosity, why are people so confident that Larsson will make it over Taormina for this year?

With Rolston gone many scenarios could occur. It opens up a 3rd line LW position for Henrique which he should be able to handle since he has played center most of his life. Elias is clearly a center at this stage in his career and another year with Oates should help him in the faceoff dots.

Tedenby/Zubrus may move back to the left wing and allow Clarkson, Palmieri and Zubrus/Tedenby to be the top 3 RW.

What makes things difficult is we have a few players playing their offwing and not enough right shots for an effective breakout. This may look bad on paper but would effectively allow us for a decent breakout for the most part.

Parise L - Zajac R - Zubrus L

Kovalchuk R - Elias L - Palmieri R

Tedenby L - Josefson L - Clarkson R

Zharkov/Boulton L - Steckel R - Hunter R

Kovalchuk-Josefson-Zubrus

This line has two players on their offwing, they would be lucky to get it through the neutral zone

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

looking at our lineup now and all the possibilities i really dont think that we need Steckel and Hunter. I dont even think we'd have to wait til training camp, we should just put them on waivers. Unless one of them has a 2way? but i dont think so

wtv what our top 9 lines would be lets say something like this... or wtv where you put who, it would mostly be t hose 9 players.

Parise - Zajac - Zubrus

Kovalchuk - Josefson - Palmieri

Tedenby - Elias - Clarkson

i can't see any of the other guys getting lots of top 9 minutes...(the 4th line guys)

So we kinda have too much depth for the 4th line... kinda useless. I dont think Hunter and Steckel would bring a lot more than Pelley, Zharkov, Janssen, Boulton and Henrique who should all be fighting for a spot on the roster all season long. Those are all way cheaper player who can do the job

so that extra 2m(hunter) and 1.1m(steckel) cap space is very but VERY expandable IMO. We have 2.5m in cap space right now, with Salvador (2.9m) possibly and god knows who could be on the LTIR by then... we could endup with about 8.5m in cap space or more at the deadline with hunter, Steckel and salvadore off the book... can you imagine??? we could have a crazy shopping session for rentals. Depending on who's not making the playoffs there's some interesting players that could help us... Sutter, Gorges, Liles, Rinne, Blake, Doan, Hemsky, etc... sure some are not stars but would be solid players for our bottom pairing and for cheap.

Edited by SterioDesign

I said it before but I'll state my lines again now that Rolston is gone for sure.

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Palmieri

Parise-Josefson-Zubrus

Henrique-Elias-Tedenby

Zharkov-Steckel-Clarkson

Extra: Hunter, Boulton.

I feel like with all the talent/youth we have on this team, this is the best way to spread them out with Veterans without there being too much pressure on any 1 particular player. It also gives us three evened out scoring lines and a solid 4th line that can probably pot a few.

We roll 4 lines anyway so I don't see why having Elias on the "3rd" line should hurt his production, he'll get top PP/PK time anyway.

Tallinder-Fayne

Volchenkov-Greene

White-Taormina/Corrente

Call up: Larsson.

Nothing too exciting about the Defense, it is what it is.

I considered this, but even if you switch out Kovy for Parise, do you think that would really make the breakout much better?

A little better but you always try to have a proper shot opposite the centers shot. Josefson is a left shot so try to have a natural right handed right wing....Clarkson or Palmieri. Zajac is a right handed shot so make sure you have a left handed left wing...aka Parise.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

This is what I am thinking right now:

Parise-Zajac-Zubrus

Kovalchuk-Elias-Palmieri

Tedenby-Josefeson-Clarkson

Steckel-Pelley-Boulton/Janssen

Volchenkov-Greene

Taormina-Fayne

Tallinder-Larsson/Fraser

Brodeur

Hedberg

I wouldnt mind seeing Parise with Tedenby though. I think that would be awesome. Parise-Zajac-Tedenby.

Edited by Quinn01

• 5 weeks later...

Figured I'd bring this thread back to life since Zajac will miss the beginning of the season and I'm getting antsy as the summer wears down.

Kovalchuk-Zubrus-Palmieri

Parise-Elias-Tedenby (This line = :rock: )

Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson

Boulton-Steckel-Zharkov

Tallinder-Larsson

Greene-Fayne

Urbom-Volchenkov

Figured I'd bring this thread back to life since Zajac will miss the beginning of the season and I'm getting antsy as the summer wears down.

Kovalchuk-Zubrus-Palmieri

Parise-Elias-Tedenby (This line = :rock: )

Henrique-Josefson-Clarkson

Boulton-Steckel-Zharkov

Tallinder-Larsson

Greene-Fayne

Urbom-Volchenkov

hoping a thread like this would redux after zajac went down...most of these lines include white

i like these lines btw...kinda want to switch zubs and elias though as well as switch out urbom for tarmina

Parise - Elias - Zubrus

Kovalchuk - Josefson - Tedenby

Clarkson - Henrique - Palmieri

Boulton/Pelley - Steckel/Pelley - Zharkov

Cam

Volchenkov Fayne

Tallinder Urbom

Salvador Greene

Tao

IMO Elias and Zubrus have to play on the same line so you can move Zubrus back to C on big faceoffs. That line's also gonna be on a lot of pressure to backcheck well with Zajac out.

When Zajac gets back, I have no idea what to do with Henrique, but I move Josefson down to the third line, and probably put Palmieri back with Kovie and Zajac -- worked last year, why mess with a good thing?