Where can the Devils find a D for F swap?

Triumph

You have to see what future roles are for players then find out who being traded will hurt the team the most.

Larsson Right

Now: 2nd ES, 2nd PP, 3rd PK

2013: 1st ES, 1st PP, 2nd PK

Fayne Right

Now: 1st ES, 2nd PK

2013: 2nd ES, 2nd PK?

Zidlicky Right

Now: 3rd ES, 1st PP

2013: Gone

Tallinder Left

Now: 2nd ES, 2nd PK

2013: 2nd ES, 2nd PK

Volchenkov Left

Now: 3rd ES, 1st PK

2013: 3rd ES, 1st PK

Salvador Left

Now: 3rd ES, 1st PK

2013: 3rd ES, 2nd PK

Greene

Now: 1st ES, 3rd PK

2013: 2nd ES, 3rd PK

Urbom

Now: AHL

2013: 3rd ES, 3rd PK

Gelinas

Now: AHL

2013: 3rd ES, 2nd PP

Merrill

Now: NCAA

2013: AHL/3rd ES, 2nd PP?

Greene seems to have less value moving forward and is near his peak NHL level. I would say use him with Merrill/Gelinas to get an upgrade in the top 6. I really want Berglund to play with Zajac and Kovalchuk.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'

The difference is that Ryan has demanded a trade. Yes, Anaheim can always tell him tough luck, but they are under some pressure to trade him. I wouldn't be surprised if no one has offered them anything better than what I've suggested. (Talking about how good I think he is, was meant to preempt the contrarian argument that he's not that good).

Admittedly, I'm not that familiar with the defensemen that Anaheim does have under contract. If none of the defensemen I've mentioned are a significant upgrade over what they already have, then you're right.

It wouldn't matter if they were a significant upgrade - they have 6 D under contract, 5 of which are on one-ways and the other is Cam Fowler. Unless you're offering them Shea Weber, it doesn't make any sense. And that's a bad deal. Josefson? What is he? Gelinas? Meh. And then two above average D whom the market has deemed are average? It's your classic three nickels for a quarter deal.

It wouldn't matter if they were a significant upgrade - they have 6 D under contract, 5 of which are on one-ways and the other is Cam Fowler. Unless you're offering them Shea Weber, it doesn't make any sense. And that's a bad deal. Josefson? What is he? Gelinas? Meh. And then two above average D whom the market has deemed are average? It's your classic three nickels for a quarter deal.

Probably right. Guess there was a time where other GMs ate up Devils prospects the same way other MLB teams seem to eat up Yankee prospects. Even if they still do, Bobby Ryan is probably a bridge too far.

Probably right. Guess there was a time where other GMs ate up Devils prospects the same way other MLB teams seem to eat up Yankee prospects. Even if they still do, Bobby Ryan is probably a bridge too far.

Anaheim's brass feels a need to make the playoffs this year. If they trade Ryan they won't do it for what will make them better in the future - they want the now.

• 5 months later...

Bump - some things have changed in the original post - Weber stayed with Nashville, they signed Hannan, the Red Wings signed Colaiacovo - but here's the market.

Ottawa may have opened up as a partner with Jared Cowen out - their D is Karlsson, Gonchar, Methot, Phillips, and a lot of question marks.

Edited by Triumph

Who would you want from Ottawa? They have Michalek and Latendresse and other guys like Condra and Greening. Greening looked good last year from what I saw. Ottawa has a lot of young forwards so they are interesting.

EDIT: Latendresse was signed by them in July so I doubt he will be traded

Edited by Zubie#8

I'd love to trade for Gagner on the Oilers. 23, RFA after the year, shoots right, can play C or RW, has put up at least 41 points a year in his 5 year career. I'm sure Edmonton would want to add a strong defenseman given they have an awesome group of young forwards to build around (RNH, Hall, Yakupov, Eberle).

Gagner has a 3.2M cap hit this year. Perhaps Tallinder (3.375M thru 2013-14) or Greene (3M thru 2014-15) would be attractive along with a mid round pick/prospect.

Edited by thefiestygoat

The Flyers are the absolute perfect trade partner with the Devils right now, their D is in shambles and their offensive depth is strong. When was the last time we traded with them. :rolleyes:

You're right, but I don't think we've made a trade with them since the mid 1980's. I can't see it happening. A trade with St. Louis or Edmonton is much more likely.

Ottawa is in trouble on the blueline, and Murray has openly talked about needing help possibly signing a UFA defenseman. Like Tri said, they have 4 NHL defensemen with Patrick Wiercioch, Andre Benoit, Eric Gryba, and Mark Borowiecki fighting for the final two spots. Not the ideal situation for a short season having to work in some young guys. I see them signing a guy like Campoli or White before making a deal though.

Ottawa is in trouble on the blueline, and Murray has openly talked about needing help possibly signing a UFA defenseman. Like Tri said, they have 4 NHL defensemen with Patrick Wiercioch, Andre Benoit, Eric Gryba, and Mark Borowiecki fighting for the final two spots. Not the ideal situation for a short season having to work in some young guys. I see them signing a guy like Campoli or White before making a deal though.

Michalek or Latendresse, either would be a nice addition to left wing, but in reviewing Ottawa's roster it doesn't look like they have a whole lot in forwards either. We'd probably have to go pick, bubble NHL Prospect and active NHL Defenseman to get either Michalek or Latendresse and probably a pick.

Michalek or Latendresse, either would be a nice addition to left wing, but in reviewing Ottawa's roster it doesn't look like they have a whole lot in forwards either. We'd probably have to go pick, bubble NHL Prospect and active NHL Defenseman to get either Michalek or Latendresse and probably a pick.

If I'm Ottawa, I don't let Michalek go. Their star scorers are getting old. They're gonna need some points from Michalek going forward.

Id even consider getting a prospect in return of an NHL dman... I mean on offence i dont feel we have any AHLers whos simply "doing there time" in the AHL waiting to be ready for the big club... I feel we just have a bunch of.... Guys who mayyyyy find a spot on the 3rd or 4th line mayyyyyyyybe iffff theres injuries lol on defense we have a few but ipon offence i doubt it...

I feel we need to stack our prospect pool a bit somehow and trading our d for prospects would be a good way cause teams could be making a run and would need experience so theyd be willing to trade a future project for immediate help