2013-14 Albany Devils and ECHL Thread

thefiestygoat

Albany opened up their preseason with a 4-3 shootout victory over Hartford. The Devils outshot Hartford 18-0 in the 2nd period.

Artem Demkov RW/C: Goal, Assist, Shootout Goal
Dmitri Goldenkov LW: Shootout Winner
Reid Boucher LW: Goal, Shootout Goal
Darcy Zajac RW/C: Goal

Scott Wedgewood G: 12 Saves, 3 Saves in Shootout

Next preseason game is Saturday against Adirondack.

• Replies 470
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I understand Demkov and Goldenkov are on tryouts. I assume if Demkov doesn't make it then he'll go back to Elmira (ECHL). No idea where Goldenkov would go, probably back to Russia I suppose. With the roster crunch up front, it seems like the odds are against them. The 2nd and final preseason game may be there last chance to win a spot.

I was thinking about Ben Thomson today. His career potential at best is making the NHL as a 4th liner as an enforcer. Instead of using a reserve list spot on him and signing him to an ELC, I wonder if they could do something similar to what they did with Corbin McPherson. McPherson was also a draft pick but a project prospect and not really a high upside guy and they signed him to an AHL contract instead of an ELC. I'm sure Thomson would rather play in the AHL than go back to the OHL as a 20 year old considering it's not like he is going to develop much more there.

Albany played their 2nd and final preseason game tonight, defeating Adirondack 3-2. Albany was outshot 31-21. Notably, Demkov got in another game but Goldenkov didn't. Official Recap, Line Up.

Harri Pesonen LW: 2 Goals (1 PP)
Ben Thomson LW: Goal
Brandon Burlon D: 2 Assists (1 PP)
Jon Merrill D, Eric Gelinas D, Reid Boucher LW: Assist
Maxime Clermont G: 29 Saves on 31 Shots

Albany opens their regular season against Hartford on Sunday 10/6.

Albany Devils Site

Alexandre Carrier, Artem Demkov and Dmitry Goldenkov were each released from their tryout agreement.

With the amount for forwards Albany has, it's not a surprise neither of these 3 didn't make it. I thought Carrier was in camp on an AHL deal (year 2 of 2 year deal) but I suppose he was let out of it a few weeks ago. He signed with Elmira (ECHL) 9/19 so he'll play with Demkov this year anyway.

http://blog.timesunion.com/hockey/a-devils-send-four-to-elmira-as-opening-day-roster-set/16310/

Devils sent G Clermont, D Hrabarenka, D/W Young, and LW Boychuk to Elmira (ECHL). I was hoping Kelly would've been the D sent to the ECHL but I doubt that was ever an option. I also doubt but hope Kelly is the 7th D. I want the other 6 guys to get the most playing time.

The opening-day roster:

• Goaltenders (2): Keith Kinkaid, Scott Wedgewood
  •  
  • Defensemen (7): Seth Helgeson, Jon Merrill, Brandon Burlon, Eric Gelinas, Dan Kelly, Corbin McPherson, Reece Scarlett
  •  
  • Forwards (14): Joe Whitney, Rod Pelley, Kelly Zajac, Tim Sestito, Reid Boucher, Harri Pesonen, Chris McKelvie, Scott Timmins, Stefan Matteau, Mike Sislo, Cam Janssen, David Wohlberg, Darcy Zajac, Mike Hoeffel

Albany defeated Utica 3-2. Scoring for the Devils was Boucher (Timmins, Scarlett), Sislo (Gelinas), and Whitney (Gelinas, Timmins). Kinkaid stopped 23 of 25 shots. D. Zajac, McKelvie, and Helgeson had fights in the 1st with Helgeson's being a secondary altercation thus game misconduct. The Devils outshot Utica 29-25 and went 0-4 on the PP. Whitney had a team high 4 shots. Gelinas, Sislo, and Kinkaid were named the 3 stars. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights:

Albany's next game is Monday against Adirondack.

Elmira closed out their preseason with a 3-1 victory over Reading. Clermont stopped 29 of 30 shots to earn 1st star. Boychuk had an assist, +1, and 1 shot. Young and Hrabarenka did not play.

Albany defeated Adirondack 4-1. Scoring for the Devils was Whitney (PP, Timmins, Gelinas), Sestito (SH/PS), Timmins (PP, Boucher, Whitney), and Sestito (Zajac, McKelvie). Wedgewood stopped 24 of 25 shots to earn 2nd star. Sestito and Whitney were the 1st and 3rd stars respectively. The Devils were 2/5 on the PP and a perfect 8/8 on the PK. Timmins led the way with 4 shots and Sestito and Boucher each had 3. Here is the gamesheet. Below are the highlights and line up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_yEN_A_3Fw

Line Up courtesy of @Bill_Cain_ :

Matteau-Pelley-Sislo
Boucher-Timmins-Whitney
Sestito-Wohlberg-Pesonen
McKelvie-D. Zajac-Janssen

Gelinas-Merrill
Kelly-Scarlett
Helgeson-Burlon

Some fast starters for Albany:
Whitney: 3 GP 3-2-5, +3, 4 PIM, 9 Shots
Timmins: 3 GP 2-3-5, +3, 0 PIM, 7 Shots
Gelinas: 3 GP 0-2-2, +2, 2 PIM, 7 Shots
Boucher: 3 GP 1-1-2, +2, 0 PIM, 7 Shots
Merrill: 3 GP 0-3-3, +2, 0 PIM, 2 Shots

I coach youth hockey and missed 1st two periods but made the 3rd period for Admirlals/devils last night. (I had also visited practice in the morning-all Devils were sitting watching Admirals practice) I was the only person there not counting an autograph seeking guy. I just said hello to a few of the guys that walked by. All friendly but i kinda felt like a stalker (don't know why) Harri Pesonen I guess he was a lil surprised someone knew him in Va. we discussed how the fans were at the "Scope".  

Anyway, the Devil out shot Norfolk by quite a bit. Devils PP looked really potent Merrill/Gelly on points, really move the puck well. John gibson (Norfolj goalie is awesome) Players that stood out to me Sislo (puck handling skills)/Whitney/Kinky/. in OT we completely dominated> I'm going again tonight. 

I coach youth hockey and missed 1st two periods but made the 3rd period for Admirlals/devils last night. (I had also visited practice in the morning-all Devils were sitting watching Admirals practice) I was the only person there not counting an autograph seeking guy. I just said hello to a few of the guys that walked by. All friendly but i kinda felt like a stalker (don't know why) Harri Pesonen I guess he was a lil surprised someone knew him in Va. we discussed how the fans were at the "Scope".  

Anyway, the Devil out shot Norfolk by quite a bit. Devils PP looked really potent Merrill/Gelly on points, really move the puck well. John gibson (Norfolj goalie is awesome) Players that stood out to me Sislo (puck handling skills)/Whitney/Kinky/. in OT we completely dominated> I'm going again tonight. 

Cool! Give us your thoughts on Merrill, Gelinas, Boucher and Matteau