Mayor Cory Booker: Devils owner let Newark down

Rock

http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2012/04/mayor_cory_booker_devils_owner.html

By Cory Booker

I’ve never publicly criticized someone as I did Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek last week. To some, this seemed out of character, especially because I’m one of those who believe the over-the-top way we talk to each other in our democracy often undermines our ability to solve complicated problems and advance toward common aspirations. Thus, I feel I owe it to our community to further explain why I believe my comments were warranted.

My anger isn’t simply about the arbitrators’ decision. The courts will eventually decide the revenue dispute and hopefully rectify what was never anyone’s intention: that the city should be paying more to Vanderbeek than Vanderbeek is sharing in direct revenue with the city. Instead, my outrage with him is centered on the public commitments he made to our city.

My god, he's still complaining? He really sounds like a five-year old that didn't get his toy. I guess the fact the Devils are having money problems is irrelevant if he doesn't get his pork projects :P

And this just keeps getting better and better, now they're reducing the police presence outside of the Rock.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/newark_reducing_police_outside.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Booker just as quickly added a dig at the Devils, doing nothing to change the perception that the decision to pull the police was anything other than payback. "It would be nice to have more revenue from the arena so we could have hired more cops," the mayor said. "We believe that the Devils should be stepping up like other arenas in the region to provide security for their fans."
Edited by NJDevs4978

I am SO tired of hearing that mayor whine. What exactly has HE done to make Newark safer/better/more welcoming? almost jack. He spends more time blaming everyone else for Newark's problems instead of fixing them himself. A single building's worth of revenue or a single sports team should not be the deciding factor on whether a city can prosper or not. He is trying to put all his eggs in one basket and thought the arena and the Devils were going to be a cash cow for the city.

Edit: so considering, everyone thinks what was said before was"racist" although I can't see what about it isn't something a lot of people experience when in Newark, in the sake of keeping civil here and not joining the ranks of the "hated ones" on here I'll retract that statement. It's not worth getting into racial conversations on here over this issue. There was no racial intent, but it is really hard to argue a point these days when race is a major part of it and that is considered taboo. I wasn't meaning to imply everyone in the area is in that way, but in the spirit of keeping that to a minimum on here, I respectfully retract my statements.

Edited by Legion15

I wish he'd stop with the whining. He's embarrassing himself as well as the city. That said, if the Devils want a SWAT team that isn't really needed on most nights, they should pay for it like other sports teams/arenas.

Edited by Marv4Life

By Cory Booker

I’ve never publicly criticized someone as I did Devils owner Jeff Vanderbeek last week. To some, this seemed out of character, especially because I’m one of those who believe the over-the-top way we talk to each other in our democracy often undermines our ability to solve complicated problems and advance toward common aspirations. Thus, I feel I owe it to our community to further explain why I believe my comments were warranted.

My anger isn’t simply about the arbitrators’ decision. The courts will eventually decide the revenue dispute and hopefully rectify what was never anyone’s intention: that the city should be paying more to Vanderbeek than Vanderbeek is sharing in direct revenue with the city. Instead, my outrage with him is centered on the public commitments he made to our city.

Not gonna lie, I read "By Cry Baby" not "By Cory Booker".

By Cory Booker

What is he talking about with "the courts will eventually decide the revenue dispute"? The arbitrators ruled. You lost. Get over it.

Corey is just digging himself a deeper and deeper grave. He is certainly looking like the big loser in this one and his anger is misdirected. It should be at the Housing Authority and/or the previous mayor's administration.

Honestly I do not think the reduced police presence will affect much, if anything at all. I had no trouble crossing streets before and after Saturday's game and I doubt it will be difficult for the playoffs given the sheer mass of fans usually find their way.

Plus a lot of the officers were a waste there anyways. Most were either standing around or guarding the barricades that blocked Mulberry in front of the Arena, where each officer had a list of people who they would allow to park there for free. I would love to see if he just got rid of the officers guarding pedestrian traffic and left the officers to guard the free street parking in front of the arena for his cronies. What a joke of a mayor.

What is he talking about with "the courts will eventually decide the revenue dispute"? The arbitrators ruled. You lost. Get over it.

I think there might be a way he could appeal. If I remember right, it was the courts that ordered them to go to an arbitrator.

Just out of curiosity, who paid for Championship Plaza?

I am pretty sure the Devils did.

I am SO tired of hearing that mayor whine. What exactly has HE done to make Newark safer/better/more welcoming? almost jack.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cory_Booker#Mayoral_administration

So.. a lot?

I'm a big fan of Booker, but this childish yelping about the Devils is a little tiresome. Maybe he got shnookered, maybe he didn't but he should move on already it's not good for the city or the team.

Just out of curiosity, who paid for Championship Plaza?

According to this, "NDCRC (Newark Downtown Core Redevelopment Corporation, since dismantled and replaced by the Newark Housing Authority) completed Championship Plaza on behalf of the New Jersey Devils" and it is "owned by the Newark Housing Authority, and managed by the New Jersey Devils."

That's as close as I could find to an answer after a quick search.

Technically, you can go to court to vacate an arbitration award. However, it's extremely difficult to be successful. You have to show that the arbitrators were basically corrupt or that the award has no legal basis.

I've told my family that if the reduced police presence should result in me getting shot, I want them to sue the city and give the money to the Devils to sign Parise.

That is still unlikely given the sheer number of people around there before and after games. More likely is you are going to be hit by a vehicle crossing the streets outside the arena.

I've told my family that if the reduced police presence should result in me getting shot, I want them to sue the city and give the money to the Devils to sign Parise.

Generally, you can't sue a government entity for lack of security or police presence. Although the New Jersey courts are so whacky you never know.

Generally, you can't sue a government entity for lack of security or police presence. Although the New Jersey courts are so whacky you never know.

It's just a joke. I've lived in Newark and the area by the arena is not really one of the "don't walk there" places. The whole idea of publicly announcing that you are reducing the police presence at a specific location for a specific event is pretty reckless though.

Sure the area immediately around the arena is OK, but I wouldn't venture too far away, doesn't look inviting to hockey fans. To me it looks like gang country almost. I'm sure the Crips/Bloods have presence in Newark, probably why you hear of shootings all the time. But it's like you don't want to lose your way heading back to your car after a game. The area by Brick City and all that looks decent, but I remember the first season there, taking the "free bus" from Broad Street Station and where they let you off, right across the street, stereotypical black restaurants, half a dozen hair salons that advertise they do cornrows, a lot of people walking by that you just felt uneasy about, like at any time they'd decide you would be a good person to mug. I mean it just felt like we didn't belong there and Booker's not exactly doing much to improve that image. If he wants us there so bad, and wants a cut of our money, he should prove he deserves it. It's something he should be all butthurt about if he doesn't get it.

This is insensitive, if not outright racist. How many times have you, or someone you have known, been mugged/threatened in Newark to warrant this?

I think Newark is getting royally, but legally screwed by the Devils... and VBK is in no position to voluntarily given concessions given the reported fiscal problems. Booker should move on and address other areas where he can have an actual affect. And yes, the Devs should be ponying up for more security if they want more security.

Ive been a big a fan of the mayor but now I think he has been a complete fool. All this whining over a friggin rec center? Wtf is a rec center anyway? Pulling back police and slamming the owner/operator of your city's only real attraction just because he hasnt immediately built a damn rec center? Its childish.

Ive been a big a fan of the mayor but now I think he has been a complete fool. All this whining over a friggin rec center? Wtf is a rec center anyway? Pulling back police and slamming the owner/operator of your city's only real attraction just because he hasnt immediately built a damn rec center? Its childish.

Didn't the Devils or JVB recently imply that the rec center is the practice rink at the Prudential Center?

Didn't the Devils or JVB recently imply that the rec center is the practice rink at the Prudential Center?

I dont think I've heard JVB say that. He has said that they do hold activities now and then (like youth hockey) at the practice rink.

I coulda swore I read that too, but can't seem to find it. Here's what I could find:

Star-Ledger

Booker condemned Vanderbeek for going back on a plan to build a 20,000 square-foot recreational center near the arena, which the mayor said Vanderbeek guaranteed when he was first elected.

The lease agreement stipulates the Devils were not required to build the center. But a separate redevelopment agreement does stipulate that the Devils build a "community project.”

Vanderbeek also cited $346,000 the Devils paid for job training and youth sports, as well as sponsoring a popular youth hockey program.

Bergen Record

The New Jersey Devils are challenging Newark Mayor Cory Booker's recent criticism of the team.

Booker ripped team owner Jeff Vanderbeek on Wednesday for what the mayor said was reneging on promises, including a promise to build a community center on the Prudential Arena site.

But the Devils produced a letter signed by the Newark Housing Authority chief in 2007 that says the team wouldn't be required to build the center. The site is now occupied by a Marriott Hotel.

EDIT: Found it!

Bergen Record

A 2007 letter signed by Vanderbeek and Newark Housing Authority head Keith Kinnard said that Devils Renaissance Development, the team's development arm, "shall not be required to construct a separate, free-standing community center; rather, DRD shall only be required to incorporate and conduct community programs in the 'second sheet of ice' that will be constructed as part of the Arena Project."

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

I am SO tired of hearing that mayor whine. What exactly has HE done to make Newark safer/better/more welcoming? almost jack. He spends more time blaming everyone else for Newark's problems instead of fixing them himself. A single building's worth of revenue or a single sports team should not be the deciding factor on whether a city can prosper or not. He is trying to put all his eggs in one basket and thought the arena and the Devils were going to be a cash cow for the city.

Edit: so considering, everyone thinks what was said before was"racist" although I can't see what about it isn't something a lot of people experience when in Newark, in the sake of keeping civil here and not joining the ranks of the "hated ones" on here I'll retract that statement. It's not worth getting into racial conversations on here over this issue. There was no racial intent, but it is really hard to argue a point these days when race is a major part of it and that is considered taboo. I wasn't meaning to imply everyone in the area is in that way, but in the spirit of keeping that to a minimum on here, I respectfully retract my statements.

Who gives a sh!t what others think, don't let the PC police bother you. What you said has a lot of truth behind it and some people have a hard time accepting that some of what you said is very true.

The last 2 out of 3 home games this year I was asked for money several times and was told some stupid story that I had to ignore and walk right on by. I'm sure there are some people that don't appreciate bringing their kids to a game and have to be annoyed by people asking for money.

Cory Booker has done jack sh!t to improve Newark and other then a hotel/few restaurants right around the arena, the city of Newark is still a big sh!t hole that most people should avoid.

Edited by Satans Hockey