Food around the Rock

Reverend_Hellh0und

Just thought I'd mention what happened before the Metallica show on Saturday. First we went to Scully's and it was ridiculously packed, so we left. We went to The Spot, which still had bar seats available. We sat down and the owner of the place (I think he said his name was Russell ... you'll understand in a minute why my memory is fuzzy) said that if we stay for three rounds of beer he'll buy us a round of shots. Deal. When all was said and done, I lost count of how many beers we all had but we paid for two rounds of shots and got six rounds for free.

Yeah. I like that place.

Just thought I'd mention what happened before the Metallica show on Saturday. First we went to Scully's and it was ridiculously packed, so we left. We went to The Spot, which still had bar seats available. We sat down and the owner of the place (I think he said his name was Russell ... you'll understand in a minute why my memory is fuzzy) said that if we stay for three rounds of beer he'll buy us a round of shots. Deal. When all was said and done, I lost count of how many beers we all had but we paid for two rounds of shots and got six rounds for free.

Yeah. I like that place.

sound slike you had a good time. Did anyone hear the lets go ranger/devil chants in between bands on sundays concert

Can someone give me some avg prices for Brick City B n G? I want to go but they don't list prices on the site, which sometimes means $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I only looked at the menu once when I was there but it wasn't crazy expensive. Maybe a little more expensive than a TGIF's? Hopefully someone with a little better memory can help you out a little better.

sound slike you had a good time. Did anyone hear the lets go ranger/devil chants in between bands on sundays concert

I started a couple Let's Go Devils and Rangers Suck chants after Saturday's show was over. :evil:

I only looked at the menu once when I was there but it wasn't crazy expensive. Maybe a little more expensive than a TGIF's? Hopefully someone with a little better memory can help you out a little better.

That sounds about right.

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Yeah. I like that place.

So that's 18 beers if you got 6 rounds of shots? Nice :thumbsup::P

So that's 18 beers if you got 6 rounds of shots? Nice :thumbsup::P

haha I'd need a liver transplant if that was the case. The owner would just randomly come over and say, "I'm bored, let's do one." He'd pour us some house vodka (we didn't care, "If it's free it's for me," right?) while he put back Remy Martin. The two rounds we bought were Cafe Patron, which we bought for him too. He choked them down and said, "If you're gonna make me drink that crap, you're gonna drink my crap." Then we all did one of Remy before heading in.

How I remember this, I don't know.

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd dust this thread off and include some of my experiences at local Newark eateries... Some of these are also listed in the Revitalization Around the Rock thread, but they are more appropriate here... More to come throughout the summer, including much more in the Ironbound.

Planet Wings:

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=2254

Krug's Tavern (burger):

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=1813

Ice Vendors

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=1503

Dickie Dee's (hot dogs):

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=1347

Mike's Pizza:

http://glocallynewark.com/wordpress/?p=1212

• 2 weeks later...
I know it doesn't really apply to Devils fans not located in the Newark area, but I think it's a worthwhile tip for the future. Hit up the Philly Pretzel Factory right off Broad, about 3 blocks from the Rock. They're hot, fresh, and cheap, all qualities stadium food cannot claim.

I agree that they are sweet pretzels, but I take offense to your claim that arena food is not hot or fresh (I agree it's not cheap lol).. I think they do an excellent job of providing great food especially in the taste of Newark area which is right by my section.. I mean we all remember the food at CAA, so honestly can we complain?

• 4 weeks later...
Once the season kicks up again, there will be a ton of restaurants for people to explore. I'll be offering my experiences of them as I go throughout the summer. Next up is the Ironbound's Adega Grill.

I went to Adega Grill last season. It is a very pretty restaurant. Perfect place for a date but it feels a bit weird going there in a hockey jersey. The food was very good but a bit on the pricey side. Not NYC pricey but pricey for Newark.

Um, okay. So I griped about how bad The Spot is, but then a few people jumped on me and said it's worth a second shot. I gave them one, and the food was actually good, but the service was butt-ugly. Not really sure what to make of this place...

I was one of the people talking up The Spot. If you're looking to grade the place based on food and service quality, then it isn't gonna grade well. The food is nothing special and the service can be unorganized and is usually touch and go. They don't even have draught beer.

It's the people who work there that make it worth going to. Once you talk up Russell (the owner ... I think I have a pic somewhere of me doing a car bomb with him on St. Patty's Day), his mother (who is usually in the kitchen, but once she knows you she'll come out to give you a hug), or really any of the people working there, you're pretty much adopted into the family.

• 1 month later...

With the season around the corner, I thought I'd refresh this page and add some more of my dining experiences in the Brick City.

Rio Criz

Hero King

MmmBello

Je's

Soft Serve

Margaritas around town

A daunting amount of links, I know, so in summation, Rio Criz has the coolest look I've seen for a bar (the actual bar itself). MmmBello's has great wraps and a ton of beer. Je's has great service, people and iced tea.

And Mom's Food Cafe just recently opened where Bojangles once was, across from the Lafayette entrance on Broad Street.

Edited by QuadeConnolly

• 4 weeks later...

ferry st bbq is about a 5-10 minute walk down, well, ferry st. portuguese bbq. CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP.big portions and tasty food. byob. 4 people can eat for $30. small place but if you are there by 5:30 you should beat the dinner rush for a night game

Hey Im cool like this...

Yes we do have plenty of food at the Arena Lounge - but I'll give you some lowdown.

First: A commercial: You get 15% off at the Arena Lounge with your Season Tickets or Devils Legion Card. :-) This is officially sponsored by the Devils. :-) And we are the NJ Devils's #1 Bar. Ahh... now I know this hood so: good eats in Newark other than the Arena Lounge:

1 - Ferry St BBQ is good, cheap, healthy open fire pit chicken. You will eat like KIngs -but wait in line like peasants.

2 - The Silver Bullet is the Newark Grease Truck for you Rutgers visitors ask for a X-Tudo

3 - Hamburgao is a LOADED hamburger place - and you've never been to the ironbound if you haven't tried this

4 - Seabra's Marisqueira is good seafood right on Monroe and Ferry

5 - Forno's of Spain is great great food, but a little pricier and GO EARLY.

6 - If you have a car go to Fernandes Steakhouse II. It is 15 mins from Penn.. and get a rodizio. You will love me.

7 - Boi Na Brasa on Clover is also very good Rodizio... bring your appetite

8 - If you like great cheese and wine Go to MonPou Ferry - if you like to eat a lot.. do not go to MonPou on Ferry.

Do not go to:

Iberia (imagine factory line with food... exactly)

Sagres (used to be the king over on Prospect, but ever since they changed owners and cooks they killed themselves)

Adega (overpriced - and I know the owners - yet I still say overpriced)

See... I play fair. This has been a food announcement from your friendly Arena Lounge PR-MC. :-)

See I have to love a post like H-Cane as I live right by Fernandez and swear by the place (although its not as cheep as the BBQ joints around the Ironbound). I still love Rio Cruz/The lunch place and have yet to go to barros because I just get lazy and just end up back at Rio Cruz. For some bizzare reason my wife swears by the brazilian pizza but I throw my money behind Alta Hora any day.

• 1 month later...